Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: stanced e21's??

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbz View Post
    Okay, so what is everyone's ideal lowering for handling? curious to know
    For Handling -

Front lower control arms parallel to the ground

Rear trailing arms with the mounting points on the rear sub frame about 1/2" higher off the ground then the center of the rear axles.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    Previous: 1981 BMW 320i
    Charlie Scott (chad e46) /thread

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    Now I love that! What size are those bbs's?
    Last edited by Chubbz; 01-07-2012 at 10:01 PM.

My Cars
    Previous: 1981 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbz
    Now I love that! What size are those bbs's?
    16x9 et 1 16x10 et -1

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    So perfect

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    For Handling -

Front lower control arms parallel to the ground

Rear trailing arms with the mounting points on the rear sub frame about 1/2" higher off the ground then the center of the rear axles.
    This at a minimum... I would argue that front control arms should be above parallel. If you start with parallel, they'll be less than that once suspension compresses.

Ultimately, handling is about having good suspension geometry which is what determines how the roll center relates to the center of gravity, how weight transfers, and how well the car can maintain the maximum contact patch through a corner. What are the adverse affects? As control arm angles go below parallel, the roll center of the car gets lower and further away from the center of gravity, significantly increasing body roll. Body roll increases the amount of time it takes for weight transfer to occur (weight transfer is what plants a tire), and also reduces the contact patch (or makes it more difficult to achieve maximum contact patch) in a turn.

If you are serious about real handling to carry speed through a corner, not just the allusion of handling due to a low center of gravity and stiff suspension, you will be concerned about suspension geometry. You can slam your car and have the feeling of "good handling", and it can be fun to drive that way on the street, but it will not be fast or be capable of pulling the same g's compared to a car that is well balanced and has good suspension geometry.

The difference between a guy who wants stance and one who doesn't is the importance they place on the real performance of their vehicle vs the look. Different strokes for different folks, if you disagree, get over it. I like the stanced look (with minimal stretch, that is) and really want to go lower with my car and eventually will. The adverse affect on handling will be just fine for 99% of the driving I do. However, at the same time I intend to do some major subframe work to counteract the adverse affects as much as possible. For the 1% of the time my car actually needs to handle well (autox or a track day), it will get raised back up to have better suspension geometry.

As it is now, my rear subframe is already raised 1" over stock. This greatly improved straight line traction simply due to better trailing arm angles..

Just my $.02. I'm certainly not trying to start an argument, just stating the facts on lowering a car. If you want it low, I say go for it. It looks good. Just understand that beyond a certain point it is not a performance modification. It's just a modification.
    Last edited by jrcook320; 01-07-2012 at 11:32 PM.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    Thank you so much for actually explaining this. But for me, low is the way to go. I auto x maybe once a year, the rest is spent daily driving....sometimes spirited. Btw, love your car amg auto x vids.

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    As a reference for those interested in handling, this is what Dinan considered the ideal ride height for handling. It sits higher than most lowered E21s, and even at this height they modified the subframes to improve the geometry.

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    Well, dinan knows what they are talking about....but I can't get past that gap honestly

My Cars
    1978 320i
    Not all roads are glass smooth. A nice twisty washpan back road will be the real test. Dinan knew that.

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    Once again, i'm not arguing that fact, I just don't like it

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320 View Post
    This at a minimum... I would argue that front control arms should be above parallel. If you start with parallel, they'll be less than that once suspension compresses.

The difference between a guy who wants stance and one who doesn't is the importance they place on the real performance of their vehicle vs the look. Different strokes for different folks, if you disagree, get over it. I like the stanced look (with minimal stretch, that is) and really want to go lower with my car and eventually will. The adverse affect on handling will be just fine for 99% of the driving I do. However, at the same time I intend to do some major subframe work to counteract the adverse affects as much as possible. For the 1% of the time my car actually needs to handle well (autox or a track day), it will get raised back up to have better suspension geometry.

As it is now, my rear subframe is already raised 1" over stock. This greatly improved straight line traction simply due to better trailing arm angles..

Just my $.02. I'm certainly not trying to start an argument, just stating the facts on lowering a car. If you want it low, I say go for it. It looks good. Just understand that beyond a certain point it is not a performance modification. It's just a modification.
    I agree - was just playing to the crowd.....

One day at an event I raised the silver car back up an 1" and dropped over a couple of seconds off the time.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 01-08-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    1978 320i
    damn, meant washboard

some folks however swear by their daily use of bump stops.

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    Thankfully around here, there's no use for bump stops.

My Cars
    1978 320i
    how about some added luxury?

camber?

chubbz, just messing with you. love the neeks car look just like everyone but, I favor the Dinan philosophy for suspension tweaks. too each their own as has been said. good luck with your "new" e21 as i can feel your excitement. looking forward to pics of you tearing her apart to upgrade per your specs.
    Last edited by gsumzzz; 01-08-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    I don't see where you're going with this?

My Cars
    1978 320i
    and you think i do? here's another guy with a slammed car.

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    I've got Billys all round and the '82 323i is lowered about 2.25" below stock or more. G-d it hit just about any bump in the road. I have to say the static drop is best and with the 15x7's on the car, it almost doesn't slip out on tight corners.
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by gsumzzz View Post
    and you think i do? here's another guy with a slammed car.
    Lol..... so you're the random one

Quote Originally Posted by midlifebmw View Post
    I've got Billys all round and the '82 323i is lowered about 2.25" below stock or more. G-d it hit just about any bump in the road. I have to say the static drop is best and with the 15x7's on the car, it almost doesn't slip out on tight corners.
    Billy coilovers? Or what spring?
    Last edited by Chubbz; 01-08-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E30
    Lol..... so you're the random one

Billy coilovers? Or what spring?
    lol.

This thread has shown me how little you actually know... But learning is the first step. FYI StanceWorks may be a better site for you as thats all they really deal with over there
    Last edited by Speede7; 01-08-2012 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Speede7 View Post
    lol.

This thread has shown me how little you actually know... But learning is the first step. FYI StanceWorks may be a better site for you as thats all they really deal with over there
    Actually shows how little you know. Bilstein DOES make coilovers. Google things first before you judge, especially people you don't know.
    Last edited by Chubbz; 01-08-2012 at 04:35 PM.

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci

Actually shows how little you know. Bilstein DOES make coilers.
    maybe it shows how little i know, but i do believe that bilstien DOES NOT make coilovers for the E21.

with the exception of the rear shocks that is, but those are only adjustable with a three position spring perch clip.
    Last edited by Tom D; 01-08-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    They don't, THAT'S why I asked. I figured if he did, how he got them to work.

Just because i'm fairly new to the forums doesn't mean i'm clueless. I simply asked questions and get insulted and made out as an idiot, which I don't appreciate. If this is what it's about in here, I'll gladly step away.
    Last edited by Chubbz; 01-08-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    i don't believe he said he has billy coil-overs, but that he has billys all round. if indeed he has a coil-over front struts, well then that's fairly easy to make using VW inserts, some treaded collars and shortened strut tubes.

maybe you should take less of a i know more then you attitude and ask a question using full sentences. we, unlike most forums, are a pretty helpful group, but you seem to be irritating the masses.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    88 535i/5
    Tom. In no way do I feel like i did or said anything to irritate anyone, nor did I use the approach that I know more than anyone. All of my posts are grammatically correct and should be easy to understand. If posting "this thread has shown me how little you know" is a helpful response, then count me out. I don't take disrespect lightly.

And the only reason I asked about the billy coilovers was because of the drop he accomplished.
    Last edited by Chubbz; 01-08-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast