Thread: 2012 SoCal Temecula Wine Tasting Tour

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci

Post 2012 SoCal Temecula Wine Tasting Tour

1st Annual SoCal Temecula Wine Tasting Tour 2012,

I am currently planning on making our First Annual SoCal Temecula Wine Tasting Tour (ASCTWTT) for Saturday June 23, 2012 on the 24th and a long drive in the back roads of Temecula finishing with a picnic lunch at a winery before departing home.

I will have many more details as the planning progresses. This survey is to see how many here will be interested in attending this event so that we can select the wineries that can handle the number of our group. Not all wineries can accommodate a large group.

This is planed on being a fun event for everyone, starting Friday June 22 evening through Sunday June 24 afternoon so bring your significant other for a great weekend.

The wineries that we will be visiting.

Bliar Rose
    Lenesse Cellers
    Masia Yabar
    Miramonte

Please see my post below for hotel and registration information.

I would also like those who can volunteer in the San Diego area to assist in the selection of the wineries and logging sites to contact me so we can coordinate.

Please list your name here is would like to attend. This is not a commitment just a survey before we travel down to Temecula.

Regards,

Fern
    fernm33@aol.com

Itrested Members:

Please copy and past list then add your name:

1. Fern & Grace SoCal
    2. Dan & Paula Wilcox SoCal
    3. Ralph & Penn Rodheim SoCal
    4. Ron & Sonja Powell SoCal
    5. Lou & Chris Reguero NorCal
    6. Forrest & Chloe NorCal/SoCal
    7. David & Erin Rose SoCal
    8. Mike & Alice Magavero SoCal
    9. Dylan Leff SoCal
    10. Brian & Natalie DieFenbacher AZ
    11. Gary Corcoran SoCal Sunday drive
    12. Mark & Cheri Ford SoCal
    13. Fab & Martha SoCal Special Invite Wrencfest Supporter
    14. Karl & Judy Eppel SoCal
    15. Mike Dotson Sunday drive
    Last edited by Ferns8; 04-18-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Dates changed

My Cars
    Not a Ferrari
    There are so many great roads around here. I run this one a few times a month, awesome scenery and a really fun drive.

http://g.co/maps/yhpuy
    Last edited by mojocoggo; 01-05-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1995 540i/6 // Dylan Leff - www.originalplate.com

My Cars
    97 840Ci Individual
    Quote Originally Posted by mojocoggo View Post
    There are so many great roads around here. I run this one a few times a month, awesome scenery and a really fun drive.

http://g.co/maps/yhpuy
    Oh man, that looks good

My Cars
    Not a Ferrari
    Quote Originally Posted by Widebody840 View Post
    That's a great run. How many miles (gas used) and how long will it take so we can plan it for the Sunday Starting at point "A" in Temecula and coming back on Sandia Creek Road to Temecula for lunch. Let me know.
    The run is about 20 miles, and then we can just take the 15 to get back to Temecula, or head home afterwards. I run it pretty hard at night when there's no traffic and it uses roughly an 8th of a tank or less. The issue is that during the day all it takes is getting stuck behind one truck to dampen the whole run. They'll usually let you pass but not all the time.

I'll make a few runs during the day to see when traffic is lightest.

My Cars
    95 840Ci
    We went to a nice wedding at the falkner winery last sumner it was nice. A little on the smaller side, don't know how much space we would need.
    Last edited by IJustDrive; 01-06-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    Current
    95 e31 840 Ci (Auto) Orient Blue 61k
    11 e90 328i Space Gray
    18 F15 X5 35i XDrive White

Past
    00 e38 740 i (Auto) Titanium Silver
    94 e31 840 Ci (6 speed conv.) Avus Blau (This car was Awesome!)
    03 e46 325 Ci (Auto) Jet Black
    91 e31 850i (Auto) Diamond Black, Yes, two!
    91 e31 850i (Auto) Diamond Black
    00 e39 528i (Auto) Jet Black
    92 e36 325i (Auto) Laguna Green

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by IJustDrive View Post
    We went to a nice wedding at the falkner winery last sumner it was nice. A little on the smaller side, don't know how much space we would need.
    I'll be making the trip next Saturday and try to hit as many of the preselected sites as possible to check on wines, parking, facilities, food, and driving times. Well see!

My Cars
    E89 Z4 35is, E39 Dinan 5
    1. Fern & Grace SoCal
    2. Dan & Paula Wilcox NorCal
    Pure Turbo, Flex Fuel 2013 Z4 35is, 2000 Dinan 540i

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci

The Run!

I have mapped out the run for early Sunday morning on 5/20 I will track it this or next weekend since I am driving there Saturday 1/14.

Its a 35 mile 1.4 hour run starting on Rancho California Rd. in Temecula and ending near there at a winery for Sunday's lunch. What do you guys think?

Thanks Dylan for your knowledge of the area and input.
    Last edited by Widebody840; 01-13-2012 at 08:28 PM.

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    1. Fern & Grace SoCal
    6. Taylor & Therese Patterson SoCal
    7. Forrest & Chloe NorCal/SoCal
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    95 840Ci
    1. Fern & Grace SoCal
    6. Taylor & Therese Patterson SoCal
    7. Forrest & Chloe NorCal/SoCal
    8. Mark & Cheri Ford SoCal

My Cars
    Not a Ferrari
    I would love to say I am coming for sure, but it will depend if my engine is back in the car or not by then.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Are you guys aware that May 19th is also the date of Bimmerfest 2012???

Although I'd love to taste some wine, I will be at the Rose Bowl that day. Fern, I'm surprised! you're always so into Bimmerfest.
    Last edited by olinjohnston; 02-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci

Exclamation Update on Tour

I made my second trip to Temecula and was able to visit more hotels and wineries in the area. I am now in the process in making final hotel preparations and finalize the wineries we will be visiting. I think they will be the best for our group. I was looking for a personal settings rather than large venues with 100 people at the bar.

Parking area for our cars and of course the roads were a major factor. The selection of the wine route through the valley for our caravan also needed some thought.

The selection of the hotel will be made based on value, location, and rates. I am now down to 2 that I feel will work well. One is just 8 miles south of the wine country and one right off the Highway 15 with the southern hotel providing the best price per room. We need at least 20 members staying at the hotel to receive the price break I have negotiated. We will save as much as $70.00 per weekend night for the room.

We will be visiting 4 wineries while we are there. In the next couple of weeks I will be making another trip to Temecula and plotting 2 possible routs we can take for our drive on Sunday May 20th. I would like to have someone join me to make the run. If you can please contact me so we can make plans.

This is going to be a great event guys. Our first Wine Tour in SoCal. You won’t want to miss this one. A lot of preparation has gone into this for your enjoyment. If you wish to be part of this great event please contact me so I can place you on the list. I will work to keep the costs as low as possible and still make it memorable.

Fern
    fernm33@aol.com

My Cars
    01M5,72TA,06LBz,850,540m
    I wish I could go to this......

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci

Update April 16, 2012

Greetings to All,

Final preparations have been worked out with 4 wineries for our Temecula Wine Tour on June 22-23. You are receiving this email because you have signed up or have expressed interest in making this SoCal 8’s event. As of today we have 14 signed up and 6 more may join us.

I can email you the registration form for you to fill out and return to me along with your payment. You can mail it to the address on the form or scan or FAX it and make your payment through PayPal. All the information for payment is on the registration form. We have kept the cost as low as possible, however we did receive a slight per person increase because of the peak period costs. It is important that we receive the registration no later than May 19th so that we can make the prepayments to those who require them.

Ralph Rodheim has been gracious to prepay the contractual requirement costs therefore please respond with your payment so that we can reimburse him before the next deposit is due in May. If we do not fill our required minimum of 15 rooms we will be out the costs of rooms not registered.

There is also information on the registration form for the 2 night lodging on Friday June 22 and Saturday June 23. Please make your arrangement prior to June 1, 2012. This is imperative if you are to receive the room discount. After that date regular rates will apply. All room will be Fairway Deluxe King. Also if you have someone you think would like to join us but they are not an 8 Owner please contact me and we will try to accommodate them on this first wine tour. This will help to work towards filling the required room needed.

For those driving enthusiast we will be making a drive on Sunday June 24th after checking out (10ish) on the back roads from Fallbrook to Old Town Temecula where you can refuel for your drive home or stop for lunch. It’s your option.

Again I want to thank you all for your support.

Regards,
    Fern & Grace
    SoCal 8’s Wine Tour Event Organizers

Last edited by Ferns8; 04-18-2012 at 05:36 PM.

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    *bump - reminder for all those participating in the Temecula Wine Tour 2012 to get your registrations into Fern and make your hotel arrangements. Last weekend, Fern, Kurt and I did a pre-run of the back country and I captured some shots to give you all a preview. The drive was very cool, lots of shady tree roads and plenty of curves. You will all enjoy working our your arms on this drive!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci
    Those remaining 8 members who have signed up but have not yet sent in their registration form are making me very nervous.

1st Annual SoCal Temecula Wine Tasting Tour 2012,

I am currently planning on making our First Annual SoCal Temecula Wine Tasting Tour (ASCTWTT) for Saturday June 23, 2012 on the 24th and a long drive in the back roads of Temecula finishing with a picnic lunch at a winery before departing home.

I will have many more details as the planning progresses. This survey is to see how many here will be interested in attending this event so that we can select the wineries that can handle the number of our group. Not all wineries can accommodate a large group.

This is planed on being a fun event for everyone, starting Friday June 22 evening through Sunday June 24 afternoon so bring your significant other for a great weekend.

The wineries that we will be visiting.

Bliar Rose
    Lenesse Cellers
    Masia Yabar
    Miramonte

Please see my post below for hotel and registration information.

I would also like those who can volunteer in the San Diego area to assist in the selection of the wineries and logging sites to contact me so we can coordinate.

Please list your name here is would like to attend. This is not a commitment just a survey before we travel down to Temecula.

Regards,

Fern
    fernm33@aol.com

Itrested Members:

Please copy and past list then add your name:

1. Fern & Grace SoCal
    2. Dan & Paula Wilcox SoCal
    7. David & Erin Rose SoCal
    8. Mike & Alice Magavero SoCal
    9. Dylan Leff SoCal
    10. Brian & Natalie DieFenbacher AZ
    11. Gary Corcoran SoCal Sunday drive
    12. Mark & Cheri Ford SoCal
    13. Fab & Martha SoCal Special Invite Wrencfest Supporter
    14. Karl & Judy Eppel SoCal
    15. Mike Dotson Sunday drive
    16. John M. Rosenwald SoCal 8-fest Benbow Inn veteran

My Cars
    145 cylinders of power
    I'd like to say I'm in for sure, but with my line of work I can't really commit until it's significantly closer to the actual date. If I'm available/home on those dates I'm in for sure. I understand there's a registration list, how would that work if I were able to come?
    Random Sig below (refresh to see new image)

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci

Update

Registration deadline is getting close. Those who have signed up, please send in your forms with payment before May 19, 2012 deadline. Hotel reservation deadline is June 1, 2012 in order to get the discount. Regular rates will apply after June 1st.

If you are attending Bimmerfest, I can also collect registration forms and payment while I’m there.

Ralph and I have prepaid hotel and food deposits before the May 11th deadline because of the lag in registrations received in time, so your quick remittance is appreciated.

All registration information is on the form I sent our but if you need another, email me and I’ll send one out.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ferns8; 05-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850

fern

it's bob moore, dog222, my email address is: bobmoore27@gmail.com

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci

New Update today!

SoCal'8's Members,

We have had to make changes to our reservations at Pala Mesa Resort. Because of the inability to fill the required number of room needed for a discount. We will not be able to get the rooms for the large reduced price as hoped. The new discount price per room is $169.00 plus applicable taxes. The are holding only 8 rooms at that price so do not delay.The good news is, SoCal 8's will NOT be financially responsible for any unfilled room. You can reserve a room for one night instead of the 2 nights For those who wish to come in on Saturday you can reserve a room for that night. You must use SoCal 8's for the discount.

Pala Mesa Resort: (800) 722-4700

Chris, Kasey, and Griffin you have confirmed that you want to attend please get your registrations in by June 1st..

We tried hard to fill the minimum of 15 rooms, but with all the cancellations it became clear that this would be impossible.. Those of you who have not registered must do so before May 29th for the revised room price. Those you register after will have to pay the normal seasonal price. If you have already registered the adjustment will be made at the resort.

We are working on getting our dinner at a restaurant in Old Town rather than the resort because of the minimum requirement there to reserve a banquet room. I must have the final count by the DEADLINE date of June 1st. If you plan to attend please let me know ASAP. There should not be any additional cost to those who have already paid their registration fees except the the additional coast of their room.

You may also come for the one day event. The cost will be based on how long you will be with us during the day. A fixed cost for wine tickets, lunch and dinner or you can attend and pay as you go. We are trying to be as flexible as possible to gt more 8's to join us. If you are interested about the one day event please contact me.

Grace and I live near LAX and are only 1 hour 15 min from Temecula, so a one day tour is not difficult.

We will still do the 35 mile drive on Sunday which is one of the highlights of this event. I will have more details a week before the event. Some will be coming just for the drive so it should be fun. NO COST for Sunday. If you would like to join is on Sunday June 24th I need to know for planning purposes.

Regards,

Fern

"Our group is only as strong as it's members"

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci
    Deadline for reservations and discount at Pala Mesa resort is Friday.

My Cars
    1997 bmw 840Ci
    i would like to be there but my 'new 97 840Ci ' is waiting for the upper control arms to get here from Wolf... way too much shimmy at 60+mph...
    will try to catch up with you guys at some point so i can view everyone else's E31s...

james R
    97 840Ci
    loma linda, CA

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    Quote Originally Posted by jjrho View Post
    i would like to be there but my 'new 97 840Ci ' is waiting for the upper control arms to get here from Wolf... way too much shimmy at 60+mph...
    will try to catch up with you guys at some point so i can view everyone else's E31s...

james R
    97 840Ci
    loma linda, CA
    We'll keep it under 60 for you for most of the drive! Bring it down anyway. The control arms aren't going to fall off the car.

:-)
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2