Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Headlight retro brackets Version 1.1

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by The ZED View Post
    I don't know why you don't just do it like I made mine and use the existing plastic housing that attaches to the factory bracket so you can maintain the high beam weather you like it or not. All you would have to use from your "kit" would be the plate with the projector cutout, then attach in the middle of the two lights and then an L bracket or two on the inside to secure the mounting point. At least that is how I make mine. Only thing to watch out for is the clearance on the bottom between the clear plastic and the projector housing. Your already retrofitting, there is a fair amount of work to make anything fit in that housing so I don't see cutting out the back of the housing being too difficult.
    I chose not to do my brackets based upon sledgies design for a few reasons. first being that there is no way an FXr projector will fit properly with the orientation of bracket style you use. Secondly, yes when using my brackets you are retrofitting, but there is no cutting of anything. You simply bake open the headlights, snap out the reflector, unscrew ball sockets from reflector, transfer ball sockets to my brackets, then snap it back in. This makes the process significantly easier as well as makes aiming much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerSteven View Post
    Same here. Flashing bixenons can be mistaken for a car driving over bumps which cause their headlights to briefly shine upward. Having dedicated high beams switch on/off solves this issue. It also means the difference between passing and failing an inspection.

Ballasts are small and unobtrusive. I'd rather tuck external ballasts discreetly into the engine bay or bumper and retain full functionality. Don't need any angel eyes, LED strips, iPod connections (), etc... just better lighting with period-correct aesthetics and functionality. It's rad that your setup preserves factory adjustments.

Whatever you end up with -- thanks for contributing to the community.
    I do not understand how an inspection could fail you for having functional high beams. The FX35 has a single projector that houses the bixenon function and has no other high beam.

I have given up the idea for internal ballasts long ago as few will fit and leave replacement as a non bake event. I did not engineer anything for the high beam side, as to me it is redundant and involves a considerable amount of extra design time and money. To get to the point I am at for one set of functional brackets I have over 40 hours in design and about 5 hours in machine time.

Maybe I will post a poll to gather data on how many people feel the inner high beam is a necessity or if the brackets as designed will meet their needs to see if I need to spend the time and money to design it.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    My preference is that you leave the high beam area alone. I have not taken apart my headlights, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

If you take the reflector out of the headlights, is the low beam and high beam portion all one piece? If that's the case, then I understand why you're going about the project the way you're going. If the high beam reflector is separate, I don't understand why you can't just leave that portion alone and leave the halogen high beam.

If you can't do it without removing the high beam, then I really want a halogen projector there as well- if that is feasible.

That said, it's your design, do as you see fit- just wanted to leave feedback. I think the ability to flash your high beams is important, as it is completely ineffective on my bixenon equipped Volvo and having a separate high beam makes your signaling intent more clear. I also just want to be able to put more light on the road.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    My preference is that you leave the high beam area alone. I have not taken apart my headlights, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

If you take the reflector out of the headlights, is the low beam and high beam portion all one piece? If that's the case, then I understand why you're going about the project the way you're going. If the high beam reflector is separate, I don't understand why you can't just leave that portion alone and leave the halogen high beam.

If you can't do it without removing the high beam, then I really want a halogen projector there as well- if that is feasible.

That said, it's your design, do as you see fit- just wanted to leave feedback. I think the ability to flash your high beams is important, as it is completely ineffective on my bixenon equipped Volvo and having a separate high beam makes your signaling intent more clear. I also just want to be able to put more light on the road.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerPA View Post

Yes, the entire reflector portion is all one piece. If it were beam specific then I would have only modified the low beam. As it is, to have secure mounting points i had to use the points that the stock reflector used.

It is feasible to design another bracket for a high beam projector using halogen, hell even LED if I were so inclined. The problem is the greatly increased cost in doing so. As it sits the brackets cost 43$ each to produce. Not to include what time I have spend in development. If there were another large bracket to have to be cut to mount the inner light the cost would at least be 150% but much more likely double. This would eliminate several people's interest as it would be cost prohibitive. Right now, for a DIY retrofit using my brackets and the stage 3 kit from TRS the cost comes in at $400.

I appreciate the feedback, although in the end it is not likely that i will make anymore changes of that extent. I want to make this a viable option for those interested as options that are plug and play really dont exist. I may make the requested changes and add an inboard light for ftp, if time allows and my inclination is sparked.

Its just that, I dont personally use FTP ever. Maybe its a "southern hospitalitiy" thing, but we dont flash people to signal that they need to move where Im from.
    Last edited by Sky1Z3; 01-14-2012 at 12:22 PM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky1Z3 View Post
    1) You simply bake open the headlights, snap out the reflector, unscrew ball sockets from reflector, transfer ball sockets to my brackets, then snap it back in. This makes the process significantly easier as well as makes aiming much easier.

2) I do not understand how an inspection could fail you for having functional high beams. The FX35 has a single projector that houses the bixenon function and has no other high beam.

3) I did not engineer anything for the high beam side, as to me it is redundant and involves a considerable amount of extra design time and money.
    1) This is great!

2) Apples to oranges. The FX35 doesn't have a separate lens that is sitting unused when the inspector asks to see your high beams. The Z3 is just like an E30 where high beams = 4 lights. Anything less means a failed inspection. This is a deciding factor for lots of people.

3) I understand this is a personal project and the time/money invested is being weighed against what you might recoup. I think a package that retains 4 beams will be more desirable, even if it costs a bit more to produce.

Yes, the entire reflector portion is all one piece. If it were beam specific then I would have only modified the low beam. As it is, to have secure mounting points i had to use the points that the stock reflector used.

It is feasible to design another bracket for a high beam projector using halogen, hell even LED if I were so inclined. The problem is the greatly increased cost in doing so. As it sits the brackets cost 43$ each to produce. Not to include what time I have spend in development. If there were another large bracket to have to be cut to mount the inner light the cost would at least be 150% but much more likely double. This would eliminate several people's interest as it would be cost prohibitive. Right now, for a DIY retrofit using my brackets and the stage 3 kit from TRS the cost comes in at $400.

I appreciate the feedback, although in the end it is not likely that i will make anymore changes of that extent. I want to make this a viable option for those interested as options that are plug and play really dont exist. I may make the requested changes and add an inboard light for ftp, if time allows and my inclination is sparked.

Its just that, I dont personally use FTP ever. Maybe its a "southern hospitalitiy" thing, but we dont flash people to signal that they need to move where Im from.
    I hope to spark your inclination, because I really love what you've built and want to use it - but only if I can do so without losing the inboard high beams. I would pay $200 for a kit from you that allowed me to plug-n-play the TRS package into my car. The cutoff on those clear lens FXR bixenons is nothing short of amazing. So wide and crisp. This goes beyond appearance and is a serious safety/performance upgrade. I bet a lot of people would come off $200 to support what you've done. You said the TRS package is $285 (retail) right? That puts total cost at $485 but the TRS package can be bought separately, making the upgrade easier on the wallet. My housings are showing age so I will want to get new housings to throw all this stuff in to. At current pricing, that's another $760 I will have to spend. The modular nature of this upgrade is appealing.

For the record, it's not just about FTP. They separate high beams are handy for other things too. And part of this is an aesthetic preference as well. Z3's were built with southern hospitality.

Well said.
    Last edited by BimmerSteven; 01-14-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    -Steven

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Nah, more likely that nobody ever responds or just drives slower. You have to leave the high beams on until they move over, or go around them. At least that's the way it is in S.Florida.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Ok. as I posted in the Poll thread... I have made minor changes that allow the usage of the stock inner reflector to fulfill the wants of eveyone who wanted to keep something in the inner high beam area. Detailed pics will be in this thread tomorrow.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerSteven View Post
    2) Apples to oranges. The FX35 doesn't have a separate lens that is sitting unused when the inspector asks to see your high beams. The Z3 is just like an E30 where high beams = 4 lights. Anything less means a failed inspection. This is a deciding factor for lots of people.
    Are you sure about this? I find it hard to believe an inspector will toggle to high beams, see a significant change in light output, then fail you for not using the high beam housing.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Are you sure about this? I find it hard to believe an inspector will toggle to high beams, see a significant change in light output, then fail you for not using the high beam housing.
    Non issue any more... Brackets can me made to work with stock inner portion of the reflector, thus keeping inner halogen high beam if wanted. We are good to GO!

I will put together a set tomorrow and take lots of pictures and post them here.

My Cars
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Non issue any more... Brackets can me made to work with stock inner portion of the reflector, thus keeping inner halogen high beam if wanted. We are good to GO!

I will put together a set tomorrow and take lots of pictures and post them here.
    Awesome!!! Put me down for a set of the brackets.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Alright Guys, long awaited here are the pics from todays progress. I havent built a complete set of headlights yet as i am working some other projects for my personal sets of lights still , but here is a set of brackets installed with projector in a mock headlight I use for fixturing parts.

Tell me what you think.

Now, that should spark some more interest i think. Same brackets, just about ten minutes worth of dremel work on a stock reflector assembly.

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    That looks fantastic.

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsablurr View Post
    That looks fantastic.

Thanks to your inputs my friend! FTP didnt phase me, but people wanting originality in the oo (ii)(ii) oo look did.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    How difficult was it to modify the reflector assembly to make it work? Is that just a junk headlight you were working with, because the reflector looks shot.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    How difficult was it to modify the reflector assembly to make it work? Is that just a junk headlight you were working with, because the reflector looks shot.
    Its about 10 minutes do to the necessary modifications. Very easy if you are semi ok with a dremel and a drill.

Yes, the reflector in question is an old trash one from my scrap headlight I use for testing. The process causes no damage to the look of a good condition reflector. Essentially you just cut the inner highbeam portion off and drill two holes. I will do a HOW-TO on the reflector modifications necessary to add to the install directions for the kits once I determine if i will be selling any.

My Cars
    Several
    Wow how did I miss this? Super cool. I miss HID.
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
    Wow how did I miss this? Super cool. I miss HID.

Gonna be ready for official release VERY soon. Time for a weekend DIY huh? then you can take some fancy photos of them and the output for us!

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 318TI

Now, that should spark some more interest i think.
    Well, it moved me from "that looks interesting" to "I want a set".

My Cars
    Z3, M5
    Definitely wanting a set now!

Very nice work!-

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Yes, that mod should do it for me- now I definitely want a set.

Does anyone have a source for new OE lenses? My lenses are kind of shot- I would hate to have to buy a brand new set of headlights just to do this mod.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Yes, that mod should do it for me- now I definitely want a set.

Does anyone have a source for new OE lenses? My lenses are kind of shot- I would hate to have to buy a brand new set of headlights just to do this mod.
    Are your lenses so far gone that you cant sand them, polish them, then apply Lamin-X???

I think finding lenses alone will be a difficult feat.

Mscire2 is offline That one RS'd Coupe BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    02 ///M Coupe, E39, E36
    Do want! Can't wait till you start producing them. My coupe needs real lighting.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mscire2 View Post
    Do want! Can't wait till you start producing them. My coupe needs real lighting.
    They are ready. I have a couple sets of production models in hand, but they are spoken for (my lights HA). Once I get the go ahead from the mods I will post the group buy thread.

Still trying to decide if I want to front the bill myself then ship as people paypal me, or if I shoudl take paypal payments then order them from the machine shop. The shop I am using is VERY reliable, and produces quality product far ahead of the schedule they say they will complete by.

What do you think?

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8, 98 M Coupe
    I'd say whatever you feel comfortable with - but I'd be happy to pay up front.
    '97 Z3 2.8 - Montreal Blue, Beige
    Mods - RD Fr. strut brace; Short antenna; Hifi LCD+AUX; BMW soft-top; TMS RSM; K&N air; Bilstein struts; H&R Springs; Pedders camber/toe; extra padded M stitched 3 spoke steering wheel ...
    To Do - Interior overhaul; rear window; lightweight rims ...

'98 M Coupe - Cosmos Black, Imola

Mscire2 is offline That one RS'd Coupe BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    02 ///M Coupe, E39, E36
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbuchanan View Post
    I'd say whatever you feel comfortable with - but I'd be happy to pay up front.
    This.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast