Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: 4 Door D-Modified Widebody Carbon (GTS4) BMW BEAST!! Fast, Light and Sorted!

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM

FS: 4 Door D-Modified Widebody Carbon (GTS4) BMW BEAST!! Fast, Light and Sorted!

Well,,, here it IS!! The real-deal 325i Sedan that has been converted to one of the most potent D-Modified BMW CCA racecars to ever show up at any event over the past 5 years in Club Racing!! 2008 Runner-Up (by 1 point!) North American Championship DM car and Southeast Regional Champion DM w/ an incredible amount of Poles, Fast Laps, Overall Winnings, Race Wins than nearly any other DM in the past decade, in/around Mike Akard's DM E30.... I have been going over a massive file folder of WELL OVER $100,000+ in build/development reciepts and have nearly every single move/upgrade documented for any SERIOUS buyer moving forward.

There are several professional drivers, such as James Clay of Bimmerworld, that have driven the car and can vouch for it at anytime moving forward. (Bimmerworld had actually performed several key upgrades to the car w/ tuning, suspension, alignment and track-day suspension tuning w/ me over the years at his shop in Dublin, VA and i'm sure James wouldn't mind at all taking an email or quick phonecall on this car as he knows it pretty well).

PTG ex-techs: Larry Hahn, Scotty Clark and Tom Milner Sr. have actually spent a fair amount of time around the car as well to help develop it into what it is over the years.. the PTG clan were also instrumental in allowing me access to the 'actual' widebody carbon fiber molds that used to be on their E36 factory backed BMW widebody racecars from years ago... this is the REAL DEAL folks, this is NOT some M.A. Shaw widebody kit, yet the actual PTG kit used and produced for Team PTG BMW some years ago.. expensive stuff, but the RIGHT STUFF, NOT a knock-off body kit!!!

This car is weighing in at appx. 2380lbs dry w/ no driver and pushing out 272rwhp in the last dyno performed on basically a very fresh Rebello Racing engine build with less than some 10 hours on it --- all documented engine build sheets on file and only 2 races and a couple of test days done since new engine that is absolutely good for well over 100 hours of total use before a re-fresh is needed!!! We did NOT go for some hand-grenade of an engine package w/ Rebello, just good, solid power that would last for years and years in and around a re-fresh... Dave and Bryan Rebello can certainly be on hand to share information at any time on the type of build done to the engine and i have my records on hand for all detailed spec. sheets, etc....

So, here are the MAIN points and there is SO MUCH information that i'm sure to miss out on some of it, so please contact me at any point, PM or whatever and i'll get you any additional information that is needed, no problem. My personal email is: g.shafferbmw(at)gmail.com and my BMW Business website (where you can view more pictures under Motorsport link) is www(dot)midatlanticmotorwerkes(dot)com

Please Serious Inquiries ONLY as this car has been built to the max for D-Modified Rules/Specs and really just needs a good driver to put it back on top of the BMW CCA series...

A couple quick reference lap times in the Mid Atlantic region would be:

VIR: 2:03's.. (this was 'before' last tune was done to produce another 12 rwhp!) Car should be good for 2:02s at VIR in current tune.

Summit Point: 1:19:360 in April of 2009 (very near the total track record ever recorded in DM or GTS4 and again, WELL before tuning more power into the car!!)

-- This BMW has always been know to pester CMod cars everywhere it has been raced and more times than not, has beaten 75% of the CM field at any given track! Plenty of videos on the internet of the #01 car out-qualifying and finishing above the majority of CM cars during an event and won an overall at Summit Point back in '08.

-- Professionally maintained by my own shop (Mid Atlantic Motorwerkes), Bimmerworld and PTG techs.

Body/Chassis:
    -- '92 325i 4 door sedan originally built by AutoTechnic in northeast.
    -- extremely well designed 6 point cage w/ perfect welds and x-brace protection on both door areas and re-inforced 'boxed in' footwell protection.
    -- roll cage has been certified by BMW CCA and NASA since racing it from 2008 w/ full logbooks on hand for both racing sanctions.
    -- PTG original front carbon fiber fenders, carbon rear doors, carbon rear decklid, carbon rocker panels, carbon front bumper and carbon SPEED WC carbon front splitter tray that goes back to front axle area and re-inforced.
    -- aftermarket carbon hood, aftermarket rear 'PTG Style' wing and M.A. Shaw fiberglass front doors.
    -- original 'motorsport' rear decklid rubber lip given to me by Tom Milner Sr. of PTG and one of about less than 50 ever produced w/ actual motorsport part# on it.. never have seen another on a racecar and PTG said it was a VERY RARE item that Milner had given to me! (not that it's that expensive, but very rare off of one of the factory PTG cars retired)
    -- Full Lexan windows on all areas of the car. Front windscreen has been treated w/ an Anti-Fog coating from the factory that cost about $500 to purchase special for the E36 and scratch resistant (like NEW condition as it was just done a year ago)
    -- custom blow-in / blow-out straps for front/rear lexan panels.
    -- right at about 2,380lbs dry in weigh w/out driver!! one of the lightest E36's that we are aware of!
    -- corner balanced and aligned BY Bimmerworld at BW specs
    -- carbon fiber switch panel in stock location
    -- Turner Motorsport race headlight air duct on front driver's side
    -- OMP Quick Release steering wheel w/ radio communication button fabb'd into the steering wheel.

Suspension:
    -- JRZ Triple Adjustable shock package w/ custom spring rates (Bimmerworld package that came off of Steve Bassen's BMW)
    -- Ground Control front camber plates
    -- Ground Control rear trailing arms
    -- Bimmerworld Custom front 'Race' control arms
    -- Ground Control Adjustable bump tie rods
    -- Bimmerworld Full Solid Race Engine/Transmission Mounts Metal
    -- Race Trailing arm bushings Bimmerworld
    -- E36 Race Trailing Arm pocket reinforcement kit welded on Bimmerworld
    -- Rear control arm bearings race Bimmerworld
    -- E36 Rear Subframe reinforcement kit welded in by Bimmerworld
    -- Bimmerworld Eibach race springs 600/700lb w/ helper springs Bimmerworld installed and tuned
    -- Bimmerworld race alignment and James Clay driving the car and finishing up on shock tuning adjustments at VIR for JRZ triple setup

Motor:
    -- D-Mod LEGAL M50 2.8l engine upgraded to 2.9 liters w/ by Rebello Racing under BMW CCA Rules, no exceptions! Built to the max that DM allows!
    -- Custom RACE engine by Rebello Racing of Antioch, California (BMW race engine builders and former Nissan Motorsports National Championship winning engine builders) Dave Rebello, owner: 925-724-4871 if any specific questions i cannot answer.
    -- dyno tuned to produce 272rwhp last year and car has only been driven once since then. power:weight ratio is potent at 2380lbs!!
    -- Supertech Valves
    -- Custom Valve Springs
    -- Trick coil packs w/ heat sinks
    -- Fresh rod/main bearings
    -- Lightweight connecting rods, new timing chain kit/tensioners
    -- Hone block w/ tq plate, polished crank, re-surfaced cylinder head
    -- Custom Rebello Race Intake Plenum (only a few of these out there, produces massive CFM on intake w/ custom fabrication done by Rebello)
    -- Bimmerworld Race Air Box for World Challenge spec. used on ALL top running BMWs in BMW CCA and GTS cars
    -- Basically, brand new EVERYTHING: cylinder head, and all... engine is fresh, but has raced 2 times and is strong and tuned, ready to GO!!
    -- Bimmerworld OIL Cooler w/ custom CNC oil filter housing and Aeroquip lines
    -- SPAL puller fan that is custom set on Autronic ECM to turn on/off with engine temp parameters
    -- custom crankcase breather catch tank setup by AR Fabrication
    -- Dual saddle Custom Bimmerworld Fuel Pump setup to eliminate fuel starvation on a stock fuel tank
    -- AFE air/fuel ratio digital meter linked directly to Autronic ECU for precise control / view of Air/Fuel metering for tuning and easily viewed in cockpit by driver to monitor $300 value, not the cheapo version!
    -- custom length SuperSprint Headers matched to the Rebello build
    -- custom 'side exhaust exit' box created around a DP Prototype Burns exhaust muffler w/ twin 3" side exit pipes on rocker panel of the passenger side of car (sounds very mean and tuned!!) took our guys about $1,000 in parts/labor to do this up for a total weight savings of close to 50lbs

Electronics:
    -- Autronic SM4 ECU done by Rebello Racing and final tune done by Howard Anderson of CNC Engine Dynamics of Winchester, VA (formerly AR Fabrication)
    -- Custom wiring harness to SM4 w/ Millspeck connectors done by Rebello Racing w/ cable harness to tune and transmit data
    -- AIM Pista digital dash w/ custom rev. limiter and water temp., oil pressure warning light indicators already programmed
    -- gutted wiring harness w/ everything removed except the necessary wires in place... a full large trashcan of un-needed wires removed some years ago and there are ONLY the wires needed to run the car and dash, ecu
    -- Radio wiring harness to holster on passenger side w/ high end antenna on roof w/ Racing Radios

Brakes:
    -- Stoptech ST40 big brake kit on front w/ Perfomance Friction pads and slotted StopTech rotors (superb condition w/ only 1 race on them)
    -- Rear M3 stock calipers w/ PFC pads (rotors and pads like new!)
    -- Turner Motorsport "CUSTOM RACE" Stand Alone Motorsport ABS System that is on the Switch Panel for optimum performance and reliability (expensive item that is hard to find!!) ABS Warning Light retrofit into the dash cluster above the AIM dash to act as a warning light if your ABS system is not working properly.. easy to dig into a problem if it's not, as a stand alone unit will cut down to the simplicity of just chasing one wire versus the entire harness to figure out why?? this is how Turner Motorsports has all of their E36s set up and it's genious.. toggle switch on the dash.
    -- Custom front spoiler brake air ducts running to Bimmerworld cailper air ducts for front brakes
    -- new brake master cylinder done about 2 years ago

Drivetrain:
    -- DiffsOnline custom rear diff w/ M3 finned cover from Rogue Engineering -- 3.73 rear end Polished Gearset w/ 3 clutches and 30/90 ramps, REM gear polishing (same rear diff found in Bimmerworld ex-Speed touring cars) $2,800 value and done by Dan Fitzgerald at Diffsonline.com
    -- JB racing clutch w/ 2 years on it from Bimmerworld but only about 5 races on it.. fantastic condition w/ no slipping at all, firm pedal feel, no doubt
    -- UUC Ultimate Short Shifter Kit w/ Double Shear Selector Rod Upgrade ($450 kit)
    -- ONLY ISSUE AT ALL with the car right now is that there is driveshaft play that is forcing a vibration at over 120mph -- needs to be replaced!!

Safety:
    -- Multipoint cage that is BMW CCA certified and NASA certified, well done and perfect welds -- extra pictures anytime on design/build
    -- Fire supression system that is pull-handle style
    -- OPM Carbon Fiber race seat FIA Approved and BIG$$$
    -- need to check on Belts/Window Nets (but have new center net in box that will come with car and new window net)

Wheels/Tires:
    -- 4 Custom ordered Fikse Wheels (Fronts: 18x11" wide -- Rears: 18x12" wide) Have receipt showing $4,210.00 for the set and they are fully custom offset per Team PTG giving the specs direct to Fikse for me. Massive contact patch of rubber as i think i've been running: 285/35/18's up front and 315/35/18's on the rear
    -- Excellent set of 4 Hoosiers on the car, climate controlled and only used for 2 sessions late last season
    -- 4 BBS RGR 18x10" Wheels w/ Hoosier Rain Tires mounted on them and only used 1 time (paid over $500 per wheel)
    -- 3 D-Force 18x10" wheels w/ a brand new set of Toyo RA-1s on them (4th wheel got cracked but is yours to have) they are gloss black w/ a polished silver lip on them.
    -- several sets of 'test' tires for the Fikse wheels that have been stored inside over the past year or more.. can have anything you like for testing

Extras:
    -- Full Chase Cam video camera system w/ hard drive unit wired into dash for easy 'push to record' video sessions (paid $950 my cost)
    -- Cool Suit system w/ cooler box (F.A.S.T. Systems) from OG Racing complete system ready to plug into your cool shirt -- mounted in rear of car for optimal weight displacement
    -- Braile lightweight battery weighing only 7lbs
    -- Quite a few spares including: coils, fuel pump, water pump, axle, hub bearings, etc. etc. have a trailer full of small components and new brake pads, some rotors, and spare OEM brand new radiator, etc.. more than welcome to negotiate some of the spares package as needed/wanted.
    -- Extra 'test' tires for front/rear of car to be mounted up on Fikse wheels and have been stored in climate controlled environment
    -- 1 rear metal decklid, 2 front doors, 2 rear doors (all metal) but have graphics on them installed in case you would need to pop them on in a jam and still have the car looking good.
    -- custom VBD Graphics package of vinyl on the car.. might not seem like much, but this was a full CUSTOM graphics job on the car at about $5,000 in total to hand-craft this livery scheme out over several weeks of design and installation. this car won the 2009 "corner workers CHOICE Award" for the workers most favorite car going around the track during a weekend to look at listen to. (no, you cannot keep that trophy in my room!)

Car History in brief:
    -- slight damage to the front clip at Barber in 2008, but was easily repaired w/ just damage to oil cooler and front clip.. had it out for the 2nd race that weekend and scored a P3 in DM.
    -- June 2010, slid off the track at turn 6-7 at Summit Point and hit the outside wall into the tire barrier... car needed to have the 2 front fender horns replaced/re-grafted and that work was performed by Bassen Auto Body (same shop that does all of Bimmerworlds cars if they have an incident... done right and have records to prove)

Damage: as you will see in the up close pictures taken today:

1: front left fender was the brunt of the Summit Point wreck into tires... car aligned just as it should have, drove straight, etc. etc. no problems there.. however, if you would want the car to look like NEW again, then i would refer you to Randy at Precission Glass down in Gerogia and he can whip you up another front fender for the car at appx: $1,200 and although the front hood is fully operational and latches down as it should; there are a few stress cracks through it and would prob. recommend getting it replaced at some point... there are several suppliers like MA Shaw online that have a worthy Hood Replacment for this car for appx. $600 + s/h.... nothing fancy there, just would be good to have a nice and straight hood... car tracks very straight and had just been fully race-aligned by Bimmerworld after the incident and is no problem to run the car as it sits, but if you want it back to REAL PRETTY, then these are 2 items you would want to tackle...... the front splitter tray is quite the beast in carbon and thick, but it does have one small chunk taken out of it and has just been covered over by some black race tape and so it's not the greatest of a fix, but surely good enough to not lose out on any aero snafus... i've taken a fair amount of pictures of the front, sides, rear of the car and if i need to take any other up-close pics, just say so and i'll do it, no problem as it sits about 20' in front of my desk each day at work...

it's ALWAYS inside of my 65+-75* degree showroom under full security system and so everything stays nice and warm and very well watched over all the time... basically, send off for a new/remanufactured driveshaft (have a great company that sells them for pretty cheap, around like $600 AND YOU ARE READY TO GO RACING IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure i'm leaving out a few other items along the way that will just be more and more bonus information and finds, but these are for sure all the major components listed here today and i'm looking for serious interest only.... This DM car gets so much attention wherever it goes to and always will draw a crowd in asking all sorts of questions about 'what, who, how'... when they start to get a true look at all the carbon fiber and Authentic PTG Widebody kit, they are very impressed as there really are no other cars running around in BMW CCA w/ the real PTG kit on them... pretty cool really and then the graphics package just sets the car off!!!

You will begin to see lots of pictures uploaded soon of all the Class Winner Stickers on the outside windows and dash panel for everything we won over the course of a few years and it has been a true destroyer of DM cars in the past w/ only Mike Akard and Todd Brown being able to give it a run for the money in the past.... there is basically not ANY track that we showed up, and had never run, where this car was immediately on target for pole times and wins right off the trailer and dead reliable. If you reach out to your fellow Bimmerforum members to ask about this car, i'm sure you will get some pretty rave reviews on it and how it was always maintained to the hilt w/ never any expense spared to keep it in the winners circle each place it raced.... several videos of 'in car' can be viewed at my website under "Motorsport" tab if you want to ride on board with it.....

Last edited by VBDgraphics; 12-28-2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM
    '93 E36 JP / GTS-2 (SOLD!)
    '95 E36 M3 IP / GTS-3 (RIP!)
    '95 E36 M3 (S54) CM / GTS-4
    Mid Atlantic Motorwerkes.com

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM

Last edited by VBDgraphics; 12-28-2011 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    E39 540/6
    Good luck with the sale, Autotechnic is located in my town and their work is second to none!

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    i just came...everywhere. thanks
    this has ALWAYS been one of my favorite racecars. glws

My Cars
    10-X5M, 02-M3, 79-333i
    Price? Maybe I missed it.

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    @ TSR Racing... Asking $48k for the D-Mod BMW... also, the rear wing is NOT a replica, it Also, came direct from Team PTG and came off of one of the factory BMW racecars from back in the day and Tom Milner had told me that it was on the car that Bill Auberlin was racing... there is some pretty neat history on some of these parts guys.. yeah, it's not the latest, greatest that some of the other rear wings are, but you have to appreciate some of the true PTG history that is alive and well w/ this racecar... everything can be documented and verified by several of the former employees of PTG as well as Tom Milner himself.....

thanks for the great replies thus far and looking to sell it to a good home for the future...

any questions at all, please PM me or email me direct.

thanks! Greg Shaffer

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    '11 Hennessey V600 Coupe
    I can vouch for this car being top-notch, super-fast, etc. Really sweet, extremely well prepared race car!

Mike Akard #03 SPO/SM Street Legal, Licensed, & Insured 1991 (e30) 318is
    S50B32 & e30 Race Parts - Spares - Go-Fast Goodies FOR SALE...Always making room for "NEW" toys!
    VADER/Back In Black...V-8 Street Legal SPO/SM in 2011

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    Thanks Mike... good to hear from you on the thread and hope all is well w/ you. Happy New Year to you and your family. Maybe i'll see you sometime in '12 season.

Cheers. Greg

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i"Sport"
    One of the coolest looking cars at the track, second only to MINE!

Good luck with the sale Greg!

My Cars
    '97 M3, '95 M3, '93 325i
    What was the reason for modifying the stock intake manifold like that? Were there proven gains from smoothing the flow and fabbing that plenum?

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    Quote Originally Posted by Talperian View Post
    What was the reason for modifying the stock intake manifold like that? Were there proven gains from smoothing the flow and fabbing that plenum?
    hey, YES, this is a fully custom intake manifold that has a very trick set of 'air flow horns' fabricated inside the box to increase overall CFMs in a big way according to Rebello engine folks... something they learned about some years ago and i think mine was like the 3rd one they did and were able to create a nice chunk of extra power when performing this service/part... it causes the throttle body the be turned 90*degrees diff. than stock, so there was a custom throttle cable fabb'd up on our end to make sure we have total WOT when peddle is fully depressed to the floor..

this car is tuned pretty much to the max the way it sits and we spents countless hours on the dyno making sure we sqeezed every bit of power and reliability out of it... A/F ratio is solid and safe all the way through the curve.

Greg

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    2004 325ci
    Awesome car and top notch seller! I have seen this car do walkies on the competition all over the east coast! Good luck with the sale!!

Cheers "darling",
    Mike

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    Bump.

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    cool, car; makes me miss my old E36 sedan.
    good luck with selling it.

are those composite front doors? very cool

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    cool, car; makes me miss my old E36 sedan.
    good luck with selling it.

are those composite front doors? very cool
    Hey J.Mitro... thanks for your comments and GLWS, hope all is well w/ you.!

hey, yes, the FRONT doors are fiberglass actually from MA Shaw, yet the REAR Doors are full Carbon Fiber from PTG Group supplier as run on the previous Factory Team E36s back in the day... i think the front pair of doors weighs in at about 8lbs per door, where as the Rear doors weigh in at just UNDER 2lbs per door!!!

talk soon.. happy new year to you! feel free to push it out to all you know that might be looking for one stellar ride for '12 season!! Cheers.

Greg

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    BMW M3
    I need that to get to work! Beautiful car, always one of my favorites to see in person. Best of luck with the sale!!!

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    thanks bmwplanet !!

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    bump....

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    Price is flexible guys... Would really like to move it out of my shop coming into Mid-Febuary!!! any reasonable offers will be heavily entertained and don't hesitate to email or PM me.... This is one of the most unique and fast DM cars on the market currently. thanks. Greg Shaffer

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    bump.

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    Bump.

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 540, 06 M3Cic
    Thumbs up to AutoTechnic (Jeff Henderson and Rob Driscoll)! I have been a customer of theirs since 2001. I bought two very reliable Bimmers (E36 328is in 2002 and a 2003 E39 540i6 M-Sport from them in 2007) and have had many performance mods installed there. They've also helped me down the slippery slope in getting my E36 M3 up to proper condition for track days.
    Last edited by E36Shikara; 01-25-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    1997 E36 328is - retired
    1987 E30 325is - retired

Eric Kaul
    BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member

HotCalls Motorsport - Driver
    Follow us at: http://www.facebook.com/HotCallsMotorsport

My Cars
    E36DM, E36CM
    YES! AutoTechnic is a class operation and everything they did on the initial build was fantastic in quality and attention to detail.... the welds and cage design are very functional and solid!! Guys, this is a BMW that is capable of winning the D-Modified Championship in BMWCCA and is Ultra Reliable w/ a FRESH Engine that cost over $12,000 and only has 2 races on it!!! You will get a solid racecar that is ultra fast and ready to compete at the highest level of speed and technology, yet, easy to maintain w/ no funky custom parts (outside of the widebody panels) that are easy to work on and replace when they are 'life'd' out........ bring me a solid offer below where i'm asking and i'll deliver it to you for FREE anywhere on the east coast!!!!

Wicked car that always seems to garner massive attention everytime it rolls out of the trailer at any event................. anyone have interest, please PM me or email me direct at: g.shafferbmw@gmail.com thanks guys!

Greg Shaffer

Greg Shaffer / Virginia
    '92 E36 #01 Widebody DM

My Cars
    E36TRBO,01m3 S/C,others
    Bump!!! I hope to have mine that light one day....

My Cars
    M3 sedan
    Nice graphics matches the PTG wide body well. GLWS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast