Thread: DIY: E46 Headlamp Washer Replacement

My Cars
    E46 330ci Clubsport

Lightbulb DIY: E46 Headlamp Washer Replacement

Have problems with your Headlamp washer system? got a leak somewhere?

After a fair bit of research, I've found out that the Telescopic Washer system that sits underneath the headlamp can easily stop performing its function. They are prone to failure and it seems as though the seal inside can give way resulting in loss of fluid.

This is a pressurised system.

My DIY talks you through the process and parts i needed. This is my first DIY write up by the way, so might not be purrrfect.

Here is a diagram of the system

I purchased the donor part from a breaker called Quarry Motors, based in Sheffield UK. Paid £15 for the complete Washer and frontal Nozzle. These guys are ace so check them out - I'm sure they post worldwide?

The DIY:

The Car.

Telescopic Headlamp Washer. Note that i used my existing front nozzle as this part was fine. The Frontal Nozzle piece is not adjustable.

The Tools Required.

First off, remove the 4 screws to release the headlamp. Some people would remove the headlamp trim first, but i find it comes out easier if the headlamp is loose. There are 2 screws at the top, one at the back, and the awkward one on the inside of the headlamp.

This is where to find that awkward screw.

Cover the bumper with a thin cloth and try to slide it under the gap between the bumper and the headlight to prevent scratches to your bumper. Start pulling forward the trim piece from the inside of the headlamp working outwards. If you look, there are clips that release the trim out of the socket.

Once half way, push out the headlamp washer and grab it. Release the headlamp trim and focus on the washer nozzle.

Pull this all the way out, and carefully jerk it out. Twisting it also works. You will lose washer fluid at this stage, unless you can block the nozzle with something.

Let go of the telescopic arm and it hides away into the trim. Now pull off the remaining trim. The outer part is tricky but with the headlamp loose, it should come out without too much force.

Without the trim.

Remove all of the 6 plugs from the back of the headlamp. There are 5 shown in this pic - the 6th being the indicator plug on the side. Note if you have a saloon, touring or pre-facelift, your indicator/signal light will be a separate part.

Pull the Headlamp out, and you are left with this.

These are the 6 sockets we removed the plugs from just now. You will be plugging these back in later.

The Headlamp washer is now exposed. Its a good time to see if its your nozzle, pipe or telescopic washer is the problem. To do this, plug the nozzle back on the front, and switch on your headlights. Pull the stalk forwards and examine where the leak is from - in my case, the telescopic nozzle.

Remove the 2 screws as indicated by the arrows. This releases the housing for the telescopic nozzle.

Removing the screws illustrated.

Remove the safety clip from the hose, and carefully take out the hose. I stress do this CAREFULLY as the parts here are prone to breaking and are sensitive.

The telescopic washer and housing should now come off. Make sure your washer fluid bottle is not loaded else you will lose any fluid at this stage also.

To release the telescopic washer from the housing, press the 2 clips, and it should slide out. This is tricky and may take you a minute or so.

The part away from the housing.

Put the new washer into the housing and reverse the whole process.

New telescopic washer in the housing. Screw the housing back to the car. Connect the piping back to the new washer and lock it in place with the clip we removed earlier.

Slide the Headlamp back into the car and connect the 6 plugs we pulled out earlier, and LOOSELY screw back the 4 screws to hold the headlamp in place.

Apply the trim underneath the headlamp. I have advised to leave the screws loose so that you have some play to get this trim piece back in. Look in the hole (as illustrated) and work the trim from the outside, around the telescopic nozzle, and clip back into place. Tightly screw the 4 headlamp screws.

Reach in and carefully grab the telescopic washer, and apply the front nozzle piece until it clicks into place.

Next check your washer bottle and connections, make sure there are no leaks in this area.

Turn on the car, the headlamps and give the washers a go - Problem solved, and money saved! (apologies for this last pic, the wind blew the washer fluid into my lens!)

As this is a pressurised system, you might have to turn the car on and off out of key position 2 and pull the washer stalk a couple of times for the fluid to work its way into the pipes and nozzle. Check again for leaks.

If all is well, your done! Top up your washer fluid and your all set for winter!

All in, the cost was £20 for the part plus postage.

Time taken - Approx 1 Hr.

Hope this is a useful DIY, its my first write up. Lots of write ups have helped me, so thought i would contribute.

Happy Motoring!
    BMW E46 330ci M ClubSport - Estoril Blue - Bi-Xenons - Heated Leather - Facelift - OEM Style 71 18" 2 Piece Alloys - Carbon Style Cubed Trim - OEM LED Rear Lights

My Cars
    2005 E46 330i

Exclamation

Great write-up !! As a newbie to E46's I scoured the other forums and NONE of them mentioned keeping the telescoping arm in the car and removing the headlight assembly first !!!

I was wondering why I was having so much trouble trying to disconnect and reconnect the washer fluid hose to the headlight assembly when taking them out and particularly when putting the headlight assembly back in...... now I know why !!!

Thank you !!!!!

Mike Cecchini
    Bethesda, Md. USA

My Cars
    E46 325iA Individual
    One important comment.
    Don't remove the headlight holding bracket while removing headlight washer telescope.

It would be difficult to align the headlight after that.

Just press on the holding tabs and remove the leaking headlight washer telescope.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330dA Touring

Smile E46 Headlamp Washer Replacement DIY

Hello - and I have just used your very extensive and straight forward write-up - thank you.
    Actually, I used it mainly for disconnecting the headlamp washer since I wanted to take out the light assy for a Xenon bulb change - and as your DIY included both I saved a lot of time!
    rgds bennybom

My Cars
    89 325i conv and 95 325i

head light washer

Quote Originally Posted by bennybom View Post
    Hello - and I have just used your very extensive and straight forward write-up - thank you.
    Actually, I used it mainly for disconnecting the headlamp washer since I wanted to take out the light assy for a Xenon bulb change - and as your DIY included both I saved a lot of time!
    rgds bennybom
    Thanks for your help on this one your explanation is so clear you make it easy to follow.
    just did mine great help thanks again...

My Cars
    BMW e46 330ci m sport
    Do you have info on the hose clamps and the tool required to remove and refit these low profile clamps? I have replaced the telescopic washer and have a leak on the hose next to the t piece. I sourced new clips but it is near impossible to work with pliers in the restricted space to click them back into position

My Cars
    320i M54
    Hope I won't piss anyone.
    I also replaced my right headlight washer telescope as it was leaking. I didn't wanted to remove the headlight as I'm not 100% sure I will be able to put it back correctly and I don't want to fail my MOT.
    So I decided to go from under the wing.
    I realized I should take pictures way later in the job, when I observed how difficult it was ))
    Make sure before you start that your system if free of liquid and dry, or it will leak on you.

I had a car lift, but you can do this also on jack stands.
    1. First thing first, raise you car and secure it.
    2. Remove the wheel and place it aside.
    3. remove the front right plastic protection from under the bumper. If you have a cold weather package that's where the sensor for the heated windshield washers are located (look like a hockey puck).
    It has 5 screws (circled with green) which you can use a 10 key for. The arrow points to the cold weather heated windshield jets sensor. (photos taken from http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...26&postcount=1)
    IMG_5340.JPGIMG_5342.JPG
    Be careful as the sensor is attached with a short wire. You might want to try and push it in (just push on it) so you won't brake the cable as it is difficult (and expensive for a small connector) to repair.

That is that.
    You will now be able to see this (sorry for the bad photo):

2015-10-13 20.41.03.jpg
    circled with red you have the headlight washer telescope, and exactly in the middle you can see the leak.

At this point, follow the original tutorial and remove the nozzle and keep it safe. I just pulled on it until it snapped out. Be careful not to break the cover.
    Ont he left side you will have the hose, put your head around and make sure you can see the safety pin, and remove it. you will have to do it by feeling as it's hidden behind the expansion tank of the AC unit (at least for me it was) and unplug the hose. If you are lucky like me, it will still have some fluid and you will get water all over you.
    While you are there, remove also the plug on the expansion tank.
    You should see something like this.
    2015-10-13 21.28.02.jpg

At this point, because I couldn't see too clear I also took out a 2 more screws from the plastic under the wing and pulled it a little back (I had no idea how difficult it was to remove this if you don't know what you're doing).

Anyhow, I needed more space. Hopefully you should be able to do it without.
    you will need 2 Flathead screwdrivers (smaller ones preferably).
    One will be used as leverage to push the telescopic arm out of the holder and the other one will just try to unlock the plastic tab from the holder.
    I only had 2 hands so I could not show you how to unlock the tabs (that's the easy part) but you can see how I got some leverage. That sucker is really stuck in there, as I tried pushing with a screw driver from the front.
    2015-10-13 21.28.25.jpg

I spent around two hours to find this solution which took me 2 minutes. You can see the scratches on the holder from all my attempts.
    It would be very useful to take the new telescopic arm in your hand and visualize how it is connected.

Good, now for the hard part. On the right side you have that AC expansion tank and the telescopic arm was hitting it.
    I forgot to take more pictures, but you can imagine why.

The tank is tightened in a bracket which is attached to the chassis. I looked from the top and it actually has some rubber hoses. So I decided to loosen the two screws, and slowly and carefully push the tank down. Be gentle as you don't want to break the aluminum lines. They look expensive to weld back. You will be able to push it down easily and you will know when it's enough. I think I pushed it down around 5 cm (2inchs) and that was enough for the telescope to clear the tank and I could wiggle it out of there.
    Proceeded in reverse for the installation of the new one.
    Took me around 3-4 hours:
    10 minutes to get to the arm.
    2 hours to manage to figure out how to get it out.
    10 minutes to take it out.
    45 minutes of trying to get it out without moving the AC tank.
    45 minutes deciding if I should move the tank or just go from the top.
    10 minutes to get the tank lowered and the telescope removed.
    10 more minutes to put everything back together.

It's an easy job and I think it's safer than going from the top. Going from the top will most likely require you to realign the headlight.