Thread: 1981 633csi 36k miles for sale

My Cars
    subie

1981 633csi 38k miles for sale

I bought this car a year ago from the original owner, a doc that only drove it short distances to work, and never in the Michigan winters. It has never been crashed and it was stored for about 10 years without being driven at all. Aside from some minor door dings the metal is perfect, there is one small dent in the rear. It has an automatic trans.
    The engine ran very badly at idle. It's better but not perfect. I'm not a mechanic, I'm a tinkerer. I've tried everything I know to get this to run perfectly at all RPM's and still can't get it perfect. I've replaced the air flow sensor, had the throttle body repuilt, replaced idle speed sensor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, checked for vacuum leaks a hundred times, adjusted the valves, run a bunch of fuel injector cleaner through the system, replace fuel filter, and added a second one. I give up!!
    To improve the dismal factory A/C condensor I replaced the original with one made by classic auto air in Florida. It works great! All speakers replaced with upgrades, and killer stero installed.
    Here is what does not work: the cruise control, the window switch on the console that cotrols right rear window (the switch by the window works) The eletric auxillary fan is controlled by a dash switch (I gave up trying to get it to work via the sensors)
    This is a great car for a person with more time & talent than I have. I'm asking $6,500, which is what I paid.
    If you would like to see pictures of it just send me an email. Mibracedude@gmail.com
    Last edited by Steve633csi; 12-11-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: error on miles stated in ad

My Cars
    1988 m6

Clean injectors

Hi Steve,

Welcome. Might I suggest that you remove the fuel injectors, and clean them. The fuel injector cleaner is just not enough.

Or send them out to WitchHunter Performance and have them cleaned and flow tested, probably gunked up with 10 year old gas.

http://witchhunter.com/
    Jay
    '88 M6 Cinnabar Red / Nappa Natur Highline Interior (10-87) Santa Ana, California. USA

My NEW Website, Link : https://www.jaysbmwparts.com

Booster repair
    https://www.jaysbmwparts.com

A/C Wingcell Compressor leak repair

e31 Door Handle Fix,

My Cars
    subie
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll let the next owner take that step.

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 1986 635CSi
    I think that if you want to get close to your asking price for an E12-based 633 Auto, you should probably get it in tip-top running shape.
    1986 635CSi - 2001 330ci

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Did you check/change the dipstick and the oil cap for new ones? Did you replace the fuel pump and fuel lines?

My Cars
    subie
    Fuel pressure was good, checked dip stick/ oil filler cap. All seals good. No I didn't replace the fuel lines, saw no evidence to feel the need to. Thanks for all the suggestions, but as I said in the ad....I give up! It's going to a new home. Maybe the next guy will get lucky and replace the dip stick seal, fuel line, injectors, or fuel pump and it will purr. This Shark has some Jaws that are eating me up.

My Cars
    subie

633csi for sale

A few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    This is basically what my car was when I got it, great condition early car that wouldnt run. To this day I still have no idea what the heck is was but I can tell you my mechanic replaced the fuel injection relay and cleaned the injectors and that made it worlds better. To get it to where it is though I just put a 3.5 motronic engine in it. Of course that wasnt enough so thatll come out soon but...

That thing is in really great looking shape but you may have trouble getting 6500 if it wont run right. It would be well worth it to send the car to someone in your area who knows these cars, other wise I feel like 3 or 4 will be max if it really runs that rough.

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 1986 635CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by 6erWEBB View Post

That thing is in really great looking shape but you may have trouble getting 6500 if it wont run right. It would be well worth it to send the car to someone in your area who knows these cars, other wise I feel like 3 or 4 will be max if it really runs that rough.
    This is what I was trying to get at. It would only be worth that much if it was perfect in all aspects... it looks perfect, just has to run perfect to pull those kind of greenbacks.
    1986 635CSi - 2001 330ci

My Cars
    subie
    I'm guessing you guys won't be buying it. However based upon the prices I've seen for other 633's with high miles and poor condition I think I'm in the ballpark. Besides, I'm only asking $6,500, I will entertain any reasonable offers, but it will go to scrap before I take 3K.

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 1986 635CSi
    It's a shame, but it's how the market for these cars right now, unfortunately.
    1986 635CSi - 2001 330ci

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve633csi View Post
    I'm guessing you guys won't be buying it. However based upon the prices I've seen for other 633's with high miles and poor condition I think I'm in the ballpark. Besides, I'm only asking $6,500, I will entertain any reasonable offers, but it will go to scrap before I take 3K.
    I wasnt trying to hurt your feelings. If you can get 6500 for it more power to you, I do feel like an investment with a mechanic would guarantee you a higher price. Hang around here and ask and we may even be able to help you figure out whats going on.

My Cars
    95 840,14 535i
    633's just do not command that kind of money. My 83 was in good shape and i could not sell it for 1200. For 6 grand your looking at very nice 86-89's, even some nice euros. I would fix everything on it before you can think about that much money, but it never hurts to try to get what you want.

My Cars
    2014 F30 328i 6-speed
    In Steve's defense and in general a pet peeve I have with this site.

1) A car is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
    2) I think we are all EXTREMELY biased. Not every BMW 6-series 1976-1989 owner has graced BfC, or priced out the car outside of NADA and Edmunds.

Steve, best of luck to you. I hope you get every dollar you asked for. And no, for the haters, I'm not blowing smoke up his ass, this car has 36,000 miles, it's a time capsule, there's a buyer out there willing to meet him at a reasonable deal.

GLWS.

also, I have no idea how NADA gets their numbers but I just typed in 83 633
    original low average high
    TOTAL PRICE $35,910 $4,650 $7,025 $9,350*

he's below average.
    Last edited by oldymcoldington; 12-12-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    5/1984 633csi 5-speed, delphin metallic, red leather, BBK, euro turns, style 5s, thule "555" & rack

My Cars
    Euro CR E24s + 540iT
    GLWS. It really is all about finding the right buyer for your car. Not many 6ers with under 50K miles these days, but the overall condition of the car will speak for itself. It is unfortunate that the market for our beloved cars is really poor, but that just means that you shouldn't be selling, you should be buying more...hahaha.

The main thing is that you do not want to be in the position to "have to" sell your 6er. That is when it gets frustrating, because we all think that our 6-Series are worth more than they are in the current market. 10-20 years from now...who knows?
    "Simply looking at a Shark is the same as buying one " - R. Carter
    "I have to stop looking at Sharks" - RokuMado
    In Desire Of: 1985 M635CSi (Alpine White) OR ALPINA Model
    1985 Euro 635CSi CR 5-Spd (Schwartz/Buffalo Anthracite)
    1985 Euro 635CSi CR 5-Spd (Polaris/Napa Schwartz)
    1985 Euro 628CSi Auto(Zobelbraun/Buffalo Nutria)...Rehomed
    2002 540iT Sport Auto (Schwartz/Napa Black)
    2019 740i M Sport (Carbon Black/Napa Black)
    (pics) Nori YumeHimeSaiko