Thread: E36 M3 check engine light comes on when I let off gas...

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe

E36 M3 check engine light comes on when I let off gas...

Hello everyone,

This started today when I took the car for a drive. When I let off the gas the cars check engine light would pop up and stay on but when I give it gas to accelerate it will go away. I tried to check and see if there were any serious codes but my scanner is being fussy right now. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem on here. Thanks.
    -Nate

1995 E36 M3 all stock.

Outside temps 28*

My Cars
    1997 M3
    You are gonna need a less fussy scanner.

1997 M3 (SOLD) :o 2000 528i Sport (SOLD)

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe
    Hah ill get it to work eventually. Its a Peake scanner but gets the 'E' or error message when I try to scan. I went to the website and found some tips to try and get it to work.

Weird thing is I have never had this problem until recently which leads me to believe it might have something to do with the cold weather.

My Cars
    3.2L E36 M3
    Are you able to do the stomp test for codes?

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe
    Was going to do that the next time I drive it. Ill try that tomorrow and report what I find out. Thanks for the help so far.

Code is 1216 (Throttle Position Switch Fault). Anyone have some insight on this?
    Last edited by ssyellow; 12-11-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe
    Bump.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ssyellow View Post
    Was going to do that the next time I drive it. Ill try that tomorrow and report what I find out. Thanks for the help so far.

Code is 1216 (Throttle Position Switch Fault). Anyone have some insight on this?
    I would start by replacing the throttle position sensor.

My Cars
    e36 m3, f30 335i
    i had that code less than a year ago...bought a new tps and it was still there...i cleaned out my icv, thinking that was it, but the code was still there...i bought a new icv and the code went away...

the only difference between my code and yours, is that mine would pop up if i let my car idle anywhere from 45 seconds to 1 minute...car idles indefinitely with no check engine light now...

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe
    Great thats what I wanted to hear. Someone said you can fix the problem by slightly adjusting the throttle cable so thats my first step then I will test the TPS sensor and if that also fails looks like this should be it. Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    M3 Evo
    Sounds like sucking in air on the over run to me, intake air leak somewhere?

My Cars
    I haz Techno E36
    Yea def sounds like vaccum leak....just go back and check everything..
    I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
    Every day above ground is a good day.

Need a good mechanic? Look no further!
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1352434

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe
    Finally home for school and will be looking at it. If thats the case I'm thinking its possibly somewhere in the intake boot?

Did a quick test of my own. The car now has a hesitation on cold start and if I push the gas the RPMs drop first then go up. Unplugged the sensor and it runs perfect with no hesitation at all. Going to test it electronically for OHMs and see what values I get but I feel at this point its pretty conclusive its the TPS sensor itself.
    Last edited by ssyellow; 12-16-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost