Thread: Red Oil Light Flickered Today

My Cars
    2003 330i

Red Oil Light Flickered Today

While driving to the hardware store, I noticed my Oil light flickering red for about 5 seconds or so and then turned off. It happened as I was going down a slight hill. Total driving time was over an hour due to traffic, but the light never came on at any other time during the trip. How concerned should I be?

I've done some searching, and it looks like it could be a sensor, but the symptoms seem slightly different from what I've read since my car wasn't idling when it came on, nor did it light up mulitiple times on the trip. I drive an '03 330i.

Thanks

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i (E92)
    did you check ur oil?!?!?!
    My Previous Vehicle - In the Edmonton/Northern AB Area? We're having a meet... Click Here

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i (E39)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsoul View Post
    While driving to the hardware store, I noticed my Oil light flickering red for about 5 seconds or so and then turned off. It happened as I was going down a slight hill. Total driving time was over an hour due to traffic, but the light never came on at any other time during the trip. How concerned should I be?

I've done some searching, and it looks like it could be a sensor, but the symptoms seem slightly different from what I've read since my car wasn't idling when it came on, nor did it light up mulitiple times on the trip. I drive an '03 330i.

Thanks
    Out of pure curiosity... how's your oil level?

My Cars
    '02 325ci '97 NA Eunos
    You should probably put some oil in your car...
    "Screwed" by ESS Tuning

My Cars
    2001 BWM 330ci
    survey says, check your oil

My Cars
    '00 328Ci, '18 330xi
    We need to hold an online "clinic" about basic vehicle maintenance and theory, because there have a been a rash of questions like this lately.

Soon, it's gonna be "what does that yellow led mean over by my fuel guage?...oh, and my car won't start."

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Unless his oil level is fine....

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    '02 325ci '97 NA Eunos
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Unless his oil level is fine....

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com
    His symptoms don't point to a sensor being bad. He said when he goes down hill (oil table shifts and the sump pickup goes dry).

I have a feeling it's the oil level.

Quote Originally Posted by mdfiasco View Post
    we need to hold an online "clinic" about basic vehicle maintenance and theory, because there have a been a rash of questions like this lately.

Soon, it's gonna be "what does that yellow led mean over by my fuel guage?...oh, and my car won't start."
    +10000000

It would help if half the people out there would just read there owners manual. Henry Ford said it the best "if you want to hide something from the public, put it in there vehicles owners manual".
    Last edited by 1988 325ix; 12-02-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Screwed" by ESS Tuning

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    RED oil light is a pressure problem, yellow oil light is a level problem.

Edit: Of course though, check the level first.
    Last edited by telijah; 12-02-2011 at 11:46 AM.

My Cars
    '00 328Ci, '18 330xi
    "...and what angel eyes should I choose?" -Abraham Lincoln

The sensor is located in forward area of the sump. If he's low on oil and driving down hill, the oil returned to the sump would be minimal as it would remain in the forward area of the pan.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=10&hl=74

red oil light while engine running would indicate low oil also, as lack of pressure is also related to low oil.

I'm assuming that the OP also has a yellow oil light before and upon startup.
    Last edited by mdfiasco; 12-02-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '02 325ci '97 NA Eunos
    Quote Originally Posted by mdfiasco View Post
    "...and what angel eyes should I choose?" -Abraham Lincoln

The sensor is located in forward area of the sump. If he's low on oil and driving down hill, the oil returned to the sump would be minimal as it would remain in the forward area of the pan.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=10&hl=74

red oil light while engine running would indicate low oil also, as lack of pressure is also related to low oil.

I'm assuming that the OP also has a yellow oil light before and upon startup.
    Maybe he is so low that it's always borderline of running dry?
    "Screwed" by ESS Tuning

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    If that were the case, he'd also have the yellow light, unless he needs the level sensor replaced too.

My Cars
    '02 325ci '97 NA Eunos
    Quote Originally Posted by telijah View Post
    If that were the case, he'd also have the yellow light, unless he needs the level sensor replaced too.
    True.
    "Screwed" by ESS Tuning

My Cars
    04 330i zhp; 06 Cooper S
    How worried should you be: very. Hate to flame a new(ish) member, but red means stop. That little red oil can is the grim reaper's calling card. Low oil pressure and engine failure are close cousins.

Of course low pressure could be the result of very low oil level, but it's not too likely. If the level is low and you never got the yellow oil light, you need a new level sensor, so get one (after adding oil) and keep an eye on the oil light. If the level is fine, I would take it to a mechanic immediately, maybe even on a flatbed.

My Cars
    325CI manual
    Red means turn engine off IMMEDIATELY. Gotta wonder who is buying BMW these days?

My Cars
    '03 330i M-Sport
    OP can you PLEASE tell me what RPM were you at when you saw the red light? I would really like to know at what RPM the light came on.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
    Red means turn engine off IMMEDIATELY. Gotta wonder who is buying BMW these days?

Not necessarily true. I have a friend that has had the "Red light" for years......comes in, and goes out at weird times. He has done a ton of diagnosis, had BMW look at it, and even talked to Mike Miller about it. No fix. It is...what it is.

You are correct....driving down the road.....red light comes in hard.....pull over....turn car off.
    Last edited by danewilson77; 12-03-2011 at 10:37 AM.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    If oil level is fine and sensor is working, it could be as simple as a cheap oil filter (I have seen the cheap ones trigger this light) or partially clogged oil filter.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i (E92)
    Did OP reply yet???? lol Did he check his oil yet???

Yes, could be a 100 things... but lets start with the obvious
    My Previous Vehicle - In the Edmonton/Northern AB Area? We're having a meet... Click Here

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by XVehicleFTE View Post
    I have the same issue on my 03 330i. Oil level is always maintained at the correct level but the random flickering light is more frequent for me when outside air temperatures are in the mid eighties to 100s during the summer. I haven't noticed it flickering when the temps are lower. I can also induce the light to flicker on hot days by reving the engine up from idle to about 2500 rpms and letting off the throttle (when the engine is at operating temperatures). Moderate jabs of the throttle are used. On the hot days it will flicker randomly now and then at idle and at highway speeds at constant throttle with the cruise control on. It's annoying but I just live with it for now. I've noticed it for the last two to three years. It hasn't gotten worse and I have had no driveability issues.

I may change from my current Mobile 1 5W-30 over to 0W-40 next summer and see if that changes the lights behavior.
    "RED" though? Or yellow?
    Last edited by danewilson77; 12-04-2011 at 02:36 PM.