Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 oil consumption?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi

E46 oil consumption?

OK another question from the newbie... what should I expect regarding oil consumption? I've had the car for a few weeks now and the oil warning light went on. It's low. Maybe the dealer didn't change it before selling to me? Your thoughts? By the way I love this car. I don't think I've said that about a car since my '64 Ford Falcon 260 V8. Of course it also burned oil.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    I probably go through a quart every 1,000 miles. Only way of telling for you is to add a quart to your oil and measure your miles until the light comes on again.

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    Nice ride, Nike001. Thanks for the reply. I'm used to 4 cyls that don't drink a drop. Sounds like I should expect this.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by donp325xi View Post
    Nice ride, Nike001. Thanks for the reply. I'm used to 4 cyls that don't drink a drop. Sounds like I should expect this.
    Thank you sir!!

You might be lucky and have one that doesn't consume any..or very little.

Only time will tell!

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    OK another question from the newbie... what should I expect regarding oil consumption? I've had the car for a few weeks now and the oil warning light went on. It's low. Maybe the dealer didn't change it before selling to me? Your thoughts? By the way I love this car. I don't think I've said that about a car since my '64 Ford Falcon 260 V8. Of course it also burned oil.
    Change the crankcase, tranny, and diff fluids first off. It's a good starting point.

Then, monitor oil level closely with the dipstick.

I burn zero oil between oil changes. Nike is correct though, and BMW does say, 1qt every xxxx miles (I think 3k?) is normal.

You can also send an oil sample off to Blackstone Labs which will give you a rough idea of engine health.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    Good advice, thanks. I'm going to take it to the shop next week to have the rear axle bushings checked out and will have them change all the fluids while we're at it.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Good advice, thanks. I'm going to take it to the shop next week to have the rear axle bushings checked out and will have them change all the fluids while we're at it.
    Otto or Manny?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    Manny. There's a clunking sound when I release the clutch. See my previous post... consensus is that the bushings need some attention.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by donp325xi
    Manny. There's a clunking sound when I release the clutch. See my previous post... consensus is that the bushings need some attention.
    Manny is very easy diy....

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by donp325xi
    All BMWs use oil - some less than others. Use Mobil 1 0w-40 - I have found that this decreases oil consumption appreciably. Don't use any other Mobil 1 oil! 0w-40 is the only Mobil 1 that meets BMW's LL-01 specs.

My Cars
    2003 325xi wagon
    Did you actually check the level, or only see the light?

When I looked at my car, the oil warning light was on. The dealership knew about it -- told me to check the level, since they had just changed the oil -- and agreed to replace the sensor. After that, no more oil light.

It did still have an oil leak, so I had to have the oil filter housing gasket replaced.

Antarctic White Super Sports Wagon with C.B. and optional Rally Fun Pack

My Cars
    2004 330i
    I have used mobil 1 10w30 high milage for the last 3 oil changes and it doesnt burn any oil

My Cars
    '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by beamer 323i e46
    I have used mobil 1 10w30 high milage for the last 3 oil changes and it doesnt burn any oil
    That grade of Mobil 1 isn't sufficient to cover the guidelines BMW recommends for oil. You need to be running 0W40 Mobil 1 that's what falls under the stipulations. That's what I run in my motor.

My Cars
    2004 330i
    Where are these guidlines at? I work at a quick lube shop and any bmw we have eather takes 5w30 or 10w30 for 3,5 and 7 series..

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    @cliff clavin-- thanks, I did check the level and it was low. I added a quart of Mobile 1 0w-40. Taking it in for a change soon. I now understand what to expect from this engine.

My Cars
    '01 330i
    Where are these guidlines at? I work at a quick lube shop and any bmw we have eather takes 5w30 or 10w30 for 3,5 and 7 series..
    Im not quite sure where they're posted but for castrol which is what Bmw runs in the cars from the factory it does take 5w30 for some reason how Mobil 1. Sets up their grades the 0w40 they produce falls under the specs. Im sure someone knows where it can be found but im not sure myself.

My Cars
    325CI manual
    Quote Originally Posted by beamer 323i e46 View Post
    Oil should meet LL01. Most XW30's don't.

My Cars
    '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintman

Thank you lol

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    I must be a lucky one, my car doesn't consume 1 drop between changes.

And I check it too, to make sure

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintman

Except for BMW 5W-30.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee

Same here.

Last edited by danewilson77; 11-19-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Only Mobil 1 0w-40 meets Ll-01 specs.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Only Mobil 1 0w-40 meets Ll-01 specs.
    That is not a true statement.

From the WIKI............

Oil service

Although BMW recommends oil service every 15,000 miles, the majority of forum members perform them at half the interval - every 7500 miles. Oil and filter change info can be found on My330i.com here. Paul180 also has a great DIY here. You can also use an Oil Extractor to perform the oil change, link 1 is here and link 2 here. There are concerns that an improper oil filter change can lead to leaks at the oil filter housing gasket. See the oil filter housing section under other maintenance for further insight.
    You can purchase OEM (Mann brand) filters for under $5 online on sites like Autohaus Arizona or ECS Tuning. If you drive a BMW in the USA, you should always use an oil that meets BMW's LL-01 specification. BMW's LL-04 spec is only approved for non-USA vehicles, and this is due to the formula inconsistencies and high sulfur content of many USA gasolines.
    That limits USA drivers to either:
    • BMW's own "High Performance SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Oil"

• Or the four brands listed below:
    Tradename Viscosity Manufacturer/Supplier Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30 BP Lubricants USA Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 ExxonMobil Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30 Pennzoil Quaker State Valvoline Synpower MST SAE 5W-30 Valvoline
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...46#Oil_service
    Last edited by danewilson77; 11-19-2011 at 11:16 AM.

My Cars
    2004 330i
    Well like i said 10w30 has no issue in my car or any of the BMWs that come into my work, BMW only really requires a full senethinc oil, and mobil 1 is the best on the market.. I also live in southern florida so i dont have any freezing temps to worrie about for cold starts

My Cars
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee View Post

Same here. But I keep a spare quart of oil in the trunk just in case.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    My 330i was using a lot of oil until I replaced the valve cover gasket. The oil level light on mine is faulty and comes on intermittently, I didn't think it was worth replacing so I just check the oil regularly.

Jas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast