Thread: power seats

My Cars
    99 m3 conv,91 525i

power seats

just recently picked up a 91 525i, 153k mi, anyway the passenger power seats does not move, is there a fuse i need to replace, or a motor problem? Is there a way to manually move this seat, it is presently in the most forward position and back angle at it's most forward setting.

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    Yes there is a way to move the seat fore/aft.

If you look underneath the seat you will see the fore/aft motor.

I would check these white connectors, and pretty much all connectors to see if they are plugged in.

close up of the motor

that thing sticking out of the center of the motor is for the manual movement of the seat.

Get out your power drill and find a suitable square bit with a long extension(I used two of those magnetic bit holders). Insert it into the hole and drill away! The seat will slowly but surely move fore and aft.

here you can see that a square driver is needed to turn that little thing.

I dont know of any easy way to manually move the reclining seats. All you can do is search around for some of the power seat problem threads around here.
    Are you getting any response from the motors when you press the switch (i.e. a click, a buzz, a slight movement)?

^if not then it may be a fuse(the number escaped me), or it may be that the switch needs cleaning: clicky .

^if it does make noise then the motor might have worn brushes or there may be something blocking the path of the seat track.

EDIT:
    the bit/drivers you need are:

the square bit

and a couple of magnetic bits

Last edited by paperplane94; 11-12-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    the bees knees

My Cars
    e39 530d e36 m3 e34 525i
    Do electric seats usually give trouble?

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
    Do electric seats usually give trouble?
    20 year old gunked up seats who have seen many an ass are surely going to have some problems with the seat motors not moving/not working/broken.

P.S. I give synonyms like I did above so that when someone searches for "power seat not moving" they can locate this thread.

the bees knees

My Cars
    99 m3 conv,91 525i
    thank you paperplane94, iwill give it a try...i do not feel or hear any motor nice when i touch the controls....i looked at the fuse box inside the hood and i do not see any poerseat fuses, there is heating seat fuse but i don't have heated seats. Is there another fuse box located elsewhere in the car... i do not have the manual in hand, it is in the glovebox,w/ a broken handle and i haven't pried it open yet...again thanks for the great input/illustrations

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    Yes the other fusebox is located underneath the backseat
    click

the bees knees

My Cars
    99 m3 conv,91 525i
    problem fixed, fuse was blown...weird place for additional fuse box, and batery....thanks for the info

My Cars
    91 535i; 00 323it
    Don't mean to thread jack, but this is sort of relevant: what lube to use on the seat rails?

I picked up this for the sunroof and it works great (took image off ECS Tuning site):

But I suppose any lithium grease will do?

I've taken both seats out and am cleaning everything inside the car up. An extreme detail if you will.
    E34 Mods: OEM Coin Holder / Cup-Holder / Rubber Mats / Seat Covers / Warning Triangle / Sachs-Boge 750il bushings / Windscreen reflective sunshade / OEM Euro-spec Hella lamps to be installed soon.

Looking for OEM 15 or 16" basketweaves & cassette holder.