Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Successful S62 Engine Rebuild and Intro

My Cars
    2000 M5

My Successful S62 Engine Rebuild and Intro

Hello all! I just wanted to share my S62 engine rebuild in my 2000 E39 M5. I have been lurking around your forums for a few years and have learned a lot from it. Thank-you very much!! In return, I would like to share my experience with some pictures and details of my S62 build in the hopes I can return the favor and help some of you. I haven't had my M5 on the road very long, about a week now, but all seems to be perfect so far

I took a lot of pictures on my way to building my car and saving it from the scrap yard. I bought this car a little over a year ago for very little, because of a noise coming from the engine. The noise seemed like it was too high pitched to be anything with the bottom end of the engine, so we assumed it was something in the head. I was thinking Vanos or lifter. My brother and I drove all the way from Colorado to Arizona to pick the car up and drive it back home. When we got there, the car wasn’t like the seller described as far as him pulling parts out of it. It’s nice when someone knows you are going out of your way to get something and they pull stuff off of it. It seems to happen to me a lot. I bought it anyway as it was a pretty amazing deal. We drove it, with the noise, from AZ to Reno Nevada, and then back to Colorado. We didn’t realize how insane this trip was to take with that noise, until I finally tore into the car back home. What I found is the noise wasn’t from the head, but from the bottom end. Here are a couple of pictures when we got to Reno:

Turns out what happened is the engine ingested water and hydro-locked two cylinders. In those two cylinders the rods bent in a way that made the piston sit crooked which destroyed the cylinder and block. On top of that, with one of them, the pressure from the water must have been so great that it blew the head gasket. After finding these things, I figured out that the noise was the rod moving back and forth on the piston pin slamming the piston as it was unable to move straight. How it survived the trip without total failure is pretty amazing. Even the rod bearings still looked perfect! The lesson here is don't do what the previous owner did and try to drive the car at WOT through large pools of water!

This created a series of problems for me. The block could be saved, but they have an Alusil coating in the cylinders from the factory which I had to have redone. In the US, no one has the equipment to do this coating, only Nickasil. After finding the issues BMW ran into over Nickasil coatings in the past, I decided to skip saving this block and find another instead.

I spent several months trying to find a block which was not outrageously overpriced, and I ran into one which was mislabeled on ebay. Due to this, the block was not going for very much money as the seller couldn’t get rid of it. The ad said it was damaged and the mounting threads for the AC compressor were broken. I thought this was great, because I am a fairly skilled welder and could easily fix this. I bought it for $1000 and found that it wasn’t as described in the ad. Not only were engine mount threads damaged, but it was on the other side of the block, and the block was also cracked all the way through. Here are some pics of the damaged area. I had cut a deep V into it as I decided to try to fix it.

Things looked pretty grim, but I decided to tackle repairing this block as the cylinders were perfect. After spending days on the block, I was pretty satisfied with the job I had done. What I did was weld the block proper, then added more aluminum and make the whole area 3x thicker than from the factory to ad strength. I can’t replicate the hardening treatment of the aluminum block at my shop, so I added strength by adding metal instead. I also made the bracket mounting area by slowly building up the aluminum. I could have made the welds smooth and more attractive, but that would have required more heat and that would risk warping the block. During the whole welding process, it was a balancing act between getting the welds hot enough, but not too hot as to damage the block. It took me days of doing this to get the added support in the area that I wanted. After careful temperature control, welding and drilling, it turned out looking a little strange, but it was solid, sealed, and good to go!

I then had the oil pan and front cover surfaces of the block milled at a machine shop (I had to weld through the sealing surfaces as the crack was there too). The person which milled it said that he took very little off as the work I did was very well done. I believe it was .006” oil pan, .004” front cover.

I then checked every surface of the block for any distortions due to the welding heat. The deck, mains, and all sealing surfaces were perfectly straight! I couldn’t believe this! Just shows how well engineered these blocks are as I have never seen a block take so much heat and not move.

Now it was finally time to put it all together. I spent a lot of time measuring parts to try to figure out what I needed to buy and what to do. I downloaded a service manual online and found the German-to-English translation made the manual very difficult to understand. It was like the translator knew nothing about mechanics, and just gave the best wording possible for the translation. For example, the manual said this for one of the Vanos procedures, "No" screws are inserted in inlet sprocket wheel yet. Inlet sprocket wheel must not slip off centering sleeve. Rotate crankshaft from 45° before TDC position in direction of rotation up to TDC firing position. I had to do a couple of takes on this as in the lines before this they tell you which way to turn the crank by saying CW or CCW. Now they say ‘in direction of rotation’ which throws me off and has me thinking that they are not referring to crank rotation as they mention moving the crank differently in a different section. Ugh, because of this, I ended up printing a bunch of exploded views from the dealer parts section. I used the exploded views to help guide me so I was 100% sure everything was going together correctly. I also reverse engineered everything as I wanted to understand how everything worked, so this helped me understand the 'why does this have to be here' questions which the manual was worthless for. The translation made things a lot harder than it had to be. In many areas, when I figured out what they were trying to say, I would just think to myself that with half the wording it would have been a lot easier. The translator needs to also be a tech…

I ended up measuring the stretch on all of the bolts which were required to be replaced (old vs. new). I found the following:

Rod cap bolts- found no difference in stretch between old and new bolts.

Main cap bolts- found about 2MM stretch on old bolts vs. new.

Crank pulley bolts- found no difference.

Head bolts- this was interesting. The head which had the blown head gasket (due to lifting from the water) showed no stretch at all, but the head which was fine and had a perfect head gasket had bolts stretched about 1MM.

I also bought an Elring short block gasket set instead of the dealer set. This gasket set was very cheap and had all of the parts I needed! It was awesome and had quality parts! Most of them were BMW parts. What would have made it better was if it included the head gaskets, but it didn’t. I had to order those separately. Some of the things included in the kit were also parts which had nothing to do with the short block, so I felt that I scored on a lot of the extras which came with it and I didn’t have to order individually from the dealer.

The old bearings from the two engines were interesting. My original engine, with the bent rods, had main and rod bearings which looked perfect. The ebay engine had bearings which had a lot of wear. My original engine had 75k miles and the ebay engine had 100k, which is not enough mileage to make such a huge difference. From what I could see, my engine had run synthetic and the ebay engine did not. I know there is a lot of debate online about the bearing wear in the S62, and if it’s caused by the type of oil used. These two blocks would prove that to be a good theory, but I think it’s more than just the oil. After looking at the crank and rods, it looks to me like there is not one thing that will kill the bearings, but a series of things combined. I believe that oil does play a big factor and I will be using oil with high levels of zinc and phosphorous to keep things happy. I also believe that pump gas 12:1 compression engines suffer greatly from lugging due to the driver. Combined with cheap fuel, I’m sure the bearings take a beating when you are pinging and lugging the engine along on a hot day. It is easy to drive these cars at terribly low RPM, but I believe that pounds the bearings out of them, so I am going to practice keeping the RPMs up along with using race type oils with API ratings that are not SM. I also noticed this crank only has one oil galley hole in the rod journal. Engines I see which do not have these types of bearing issues have two oil holes in the crank to help distribute the oil better. Due to only one lubrication hole per rod bearing, it is critically important to use an oil with high levels of zinc and phosphorous.

Here are pictures of the main bearings. Original engine in 1st pic, ebay engine in 2nd:

Last edited by JackM; 10-12-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Rod bearings below. Note how the original engine bearings look pretty good and the ebay engine in the 2nd pic are wiped out. The ebay engine was a good running engine before the car was crashed and engine removed. The camera did a pretty good job of picking up a lot of detail on the bearings. They didn't look as bad as they do in the pic in person:

Pic below of a new rod bearing. I was a little pissed that they ship like this from BMW. Looks like an easy way to damage them:

Here is a picture of the bottom end as I was assembling it. Everything was cleaned using my industrial heated parts washer. With the pistons, I pulled the rings off and cleaned them by hand in a solvent tank to make sure they were perfect. Took several hours… The crank was polished (I had two to choose from and I decided to use the one from the ebay block). I also decided to use the ebay rods and found one of them was out or round on the big end. I ended up finding another rod from my damaged block which was heavier, and straight, and I just took metal off of it until the weight matched from end to end, so that worked out well:

Below is TDC in a factory 12:1 engine. Looks pretty scary when you see how little room there is between the piston and quench area of the head:

I took the heads apart and checked everything. They were also perfect! This was surprising as one side had the blown head gasket. I checked it very thoroughly and sure enough it was perfectly smooth and flat. Most aluminum heads are warped when you remove them and need to be resurfaced as it is, but these were perfect! I just put them back together and bolted them on the block:

Timing chains installed. Chain on the bottom goes to the oil pump. 1/2" extension is sitting there to keep tension on the chain while I was installing covers. I replaced the center U-shaped guide as it didn't sit straight on the rail. Unfortunately, the dealer only sells the guide and rail as an assembly. It was only $100 though. Pretty surprised as it looks to be a complex piece.

Water pump and covers installed:

Now it was time for the dreaded Vanos system. After reading the directions on how to install and properly time them, I was a bit nervous, because the manual made it look so complicated. To help better understand everything, I tore it all apart and reverse engineered it so I knew exactly how it worked. The system looks complex, but is actually very simple. The system has a gear which is splined into the cam shaft. The gear has a helical cut, so when it is pushed into and away from the cam, the cam changes its timing. All the Vanos does is move oil pressure to the gear which forces it to move toward or away from the cam, that’s it. When the timing is correct at TDC, the markings on the cam line up when the Vanos gear is bottomed out all the way to its home position. It’s very easy, but oh my god does the manual make a mess of this simple system!

There are a lot of things that could be forgotten and will kill the engine when it is running. Timing the Vanos was one of them. The spline hubs work a lot like aftermarket cam gears you find in the import World. When timing the Vanos, you have to keep the splined hubs loose until the timing is on the money. Once it is right, you can only reach half of the hub bolts to tighten them, then you need to rotate the gears 180 and tighten the rest of them. If you are distracted, or not paying close attention to what you are doing, you could very easily forget to tighten a few of the bolts and that could be a disaster once the engine is started. I read about an M5 S62 build which had a failure where the cam timing suddenly slipped and his pistons impacted the valves. I know exactly what he did... I went through many of the torque sequences twice just to be sure I hit everything. There are so many parts it's easy to miss a bolt.

I took the solenoids apart and resoldered the joints due to the fact people on enthusiast forums claim cold solder joints can develop over time. I kind of wish I didn’t do it, though, because I reflowed the boards using regular consumer electronics rosin core solder. This solder is not designed for the heat found in automotive applications, but will work for now. At a later date, I am going to remove the solder and use a higher temp solder with good nickel content to assure reliability.

Vanos installed and properly timed! Pic of my ‘special alignment tools’ I used to hold the cams into place while installing and timing the Vanos (drill bits):

Bolted the covers on after verifying via testing with compressed air that the Vanos was timed perfectly. Note, the rubber mallets below the engine are there to help hold the engine in place while I was rotating and assembling it. I didn't want to have the block resting in the stainless steel bench as this could damage the sealing surfaces. Plus, the crank would hit the bench and not allow me to turn it without the mallets in place to hold things up:

Note the pry marks on the Vanos in the pic below. Some moron must have been servicing it in the past. Luckily, the o-ring surfaces were not damaged:

Installed all of the EGR and Vanos parts/lines up front:

Installed t-stat housing and related lines. Also installed the oil cooler. I took the cooler to a friend which flushes radiators and he has the equipment to clean and flush the oil cooler. I had him do that just to be sure nothing was in there from the original engine failure:

Last edited by JackM; 10-12-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Now things are starting to look complicated. Installed throttle bodies and air bypass valve below. Even though I did not touch any of the adjustments on the throttle bodies, I worry that they are not balanced. Once the engine wears in and is sound, I am going to remove the intake and balance the throttle bodies using motorcycle carburetor balancing gauges. I would like to verify that all of them are allowing the same amount of air to pass and one cylinder isn't working harder than another:

I was doing all of this on my clean stainless steel work bench. I did not have an engine stand available at the time I was assembling the front, back and top of the engine. We have been averaging 1 engine build a day at my shop so we were pretty busy and all stands were taken. I was now at the point that I needed to put the lower engine parts in place and I was able to get a stand. We picked the engine up and set it on a stand. I then turned it over and started to install the upper and lower oil pans:

Even though the welding looked a bit weird when the block was bare, now with everything attached you can’t tell the block was ever repaired. I would be willing to bet even the most seasoned BMW tech would never see it.

Found this bolt sitting in the pan this way. I never did this so either someone was servicing this engine in the past and did this, or there are some quality control issues at the factory. I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t from the same moron that put the screw driver marks on the Vanos:

Oil pump:

Cover installed below:

Due to the fact that the sealing surface on the block was milled .006” I was a bit worried that there could be a leak between the block and rear and front engine covers. I didn't realize this until I got to this point. If I were to do this over again, I would have milled the rear and front covers .006" as well so it all matched. The rear and front covers were not machined, so you could feel a step with your finger. To make sure the gasket would seal, I put a small amount of sealant in that area (the manual tells you to do this anyway). In the pic below, you can see the sealant squeeze out from in between the parts, so I was satisfied that it would not leak as it looked to be clamping down just fine:

Oil filter housing lines installed. I had some trouble with this as the manual doesn’t tell you which line goes where and I was afraid I would stick them on backwards, so I took the filter housing apart and verified which way the oil needed to go so I would have the lines mounted correctly. At that point, I found the lines had directional clips on them so you can't put them on wrong, lol!

Exhaust mani installed:

So now I found I made a mistake. I did not install the PCV and dipstick tubes on the front of the engine yet as I had to install the pan first. I thought there would be enough room to slip them in, but turns out there wasn't. Well, the tubes run behind the t-stat housing and water pump, so I had to pull it all back off to install the tubes which pissed me off a bit, but I got it.

But wait there’s more… The dipstick also goes through the engine mount, so I had to pull it all out again and install the mount, then dipstick. Sucked a bit, but it was easy:

What I learned from that is put the lower end of the engine together first before installing all of the front engine bits...

Wiring harness installed:

I have a terribly expensive, state of the art, smoke machine here at the shop we use to test for leaks. I tested the engine sump for leaks and found one at the drain plug. Found the plug was damaged so I replaced it with a new one. Also, blocked off and tested the cooling system. No more leaks found anywhere! I was a bit shocked that I couldn't find any more leaks, but was very happy to see all was sealed well.

Engine installed into car. Thanks to my brother for staying late after work and helping me shoe horn the damn thing in there! Without him, it would have been an all night affair. We got it in and started in just a couple of hours!

Found a lot of coolant and vac lines which were bad, replaced them with industrial hose used in the diesel industry, because it appears the factory hoses kind of suck. This car only has 75k on it, so they shouldn’t be so bad already.

While everything was out of the way, I also ended up replacing the power steering lines with industrial hose due to the fact that I have never owned an E39 which didn’t have POS factory lines which constantly leaked. I would rather use industrial line than the garbage BMW uses and not have to ever deal with it again. The industrial line cost just as much as the dealer lines, so why not use the better line.

I started and ran the car through several heat cycles with the intake mani off. The car runs fine that way. The lifters and Vanos were a little pissed off, but after awhile it all quieted down and was perfect. No leaks, no noises. I then installed the rest of the intake mani and parts:

I changed the oil again (looked very clean and no material in it) and installed Evans 0 pressure coolant in the cooling system after getting the radiator cleaned and recrimped. I have Evans coolant in my 280k mile Mitsubishi Galant VR4 and the hoses, water pump, etc seem to live forever with it, so due to the cooling system issues associated with the E39 I decided to use it in my M5. I predict there will be a much longer water pump and plastics life with this coolant and no pressure in the system. Right now I have pressure in the system to make sure there are no leaks or issues, and so far so good. Later this week I will convert it to 0 pressure.

I have been driving the car for a couple of days now and it has been flawless. No leaks, no noises and no codes. It’s perfect!

Next week my GF and I are going on a long road trip and we are going to take the M5. I have no doubts that it will be flawless the whole way across the country.

Again, thank-you very much for the informative website! Without you guys I would have had a much harder time getting my M5 to the point it is now.

Jack
    Last edited by JackM; 10-12-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    15 328xi
    Nice write up!

My Cars
    97- 540
    Very impressive rebuild. Which industrial hoses did you use (maybe a link). I like that idea about not using items that tend to be problems. Can you log some data from your OEM coolant (heat at upper / lower radiator) to see how the Evans really transfers the heat. I know that it is a zero pressure system, but I like to know if the coolant is hotter, or the heat transfer is to the engine ect. There is some discussion about this on Bimmerfest about the Evans. Keep us posted on your success.

My Cars
    2000 M5
    I have a laser temp gauge here, so I will do that when I convert it to 0 pressure. Actually, I'll do that now while it has pressure and then again at 0 to see if there is any change.

One issue I worry about when going to 0 pressure would be the large radiator hose on the inlet side of the water pump. In the RX7 community, I found that some people complain that the hose can collapse due to the suction without the pressure and stop coolant flow. The engine would then overheat. The hoses in the M5 look to be long enough to do that, so I'm going to have to watch that closely.

The hoses I purchased were from an industrial hose company here in Colorado Springs. I would just visit a diesel hose distributor in your area. The company here is called Whisler Bearing. Their hoses have always been very good for all kinds of applications. I'll try to take a few pictures of what I did when I get the time with more detail. It was very easy and I should have done it to my 540i when it started to leak.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    very impressive and kudos on getting the car back up and running right.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525d wagon
    " Now things are starting to look complicated."

must be nice if you can do everything yourself

looks very nicely done

My Cars
    E30ic, E39 M5
    Amazing work and excellent writeup. Any plans to post this on m5board?

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats | MTech2 wheel | Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003

2000 E39 M5 | Stoptech brakes | Refinished OEM wheels w/10mm spacers | Powerchips Gold 91 | Timmay Tips/muffler delete | Functional brake ducts | DICE MB1500 Slimm diffuser | Cubic black trim w/alcantara boots

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Holy crap, from far away you look like my twin.

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by VacMan View Post
    Amazing work and excellent writeup. Any plans to post this on m5board?
    Absolutely, they had a lot of very useful info to help me too! I'll sign up with them tomorrow. Thanks! I forgot about the m5 forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Giancarlo976 View Post
    Holy crap, from far away you look like my twin.
    I'm sorry to hear that! The pic was taken after over 20hrs of driving
    Last edited by JackM; 10-12-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    sexy !!
    Last edited by champaign777; 10-12-2011 at 06:44 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    You may wish to research this, but I would suspect that the DME will keep the throttles matched up, since it can sense any imbalance.

In any event, a big job, and one that needs a good bit of engine building experience, which you apparently do, since there is no S62 repair info available in the USA. I don't believe the dealers here even touch that engine.

An exemplary job!

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    BMWs
    I don't want to be a rain cloud on this awesome parade (seriously, good work), but my front timing cover was off 0.004" and ... guess what? Yep - oil leak even with "the right stuff" and other attempts at sealing. I too would machine the front cover on my block with the deck of the block if I did it again.

Other than that, that's pretty cool - I hope the block holds!

Edit: Now I know why you were so familiar with how engines look when apart... you own a 4g63! LOL - but this should be a good lesson to everyone. The S62 is just an engine. Its just and engine guys - there is nothing crazy about it that should prevent anyone from building or unbuilding one.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 10-12-2011 at 07:32 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Very well done.

I'm curious. If you were going to put all that work into the block why didn't you opt for sleeving the pistons with steel? Chevy learned that aluminum walls generally don't work well a long time ago not sure why BMW hasn't done away with them as well.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post
    Very well done.

I'm curious. If you were going to put all that work into the block why didn't you opt for sleeving the pistons with steel? Chevy learned that aluminum walls generally don't work well a long time ago not sure why BMW hasn't done away with them as well.
    Need a competent shop to sleeve the block. Sleeves are quite expensive to fit into a block that comes without sleeves. I don't blame him for not wanting to go down that path.

My Cars
    '99 544is
    Excellent thread! Great job on the documentation, I love seeing this kind of stuff.

FYI on the throttles - The factory procedure uses two sets of dial indicators to adjust the throttles (they physically touch the throttle plates). You start with synching one pair, then one set to another, then the two sets, then you move to the other bank and do the same, then synch the banks. It's very long and time-consuming. I recently installed a set of Dinan throttles on an S62, so it's fresh in my head. A GT1 diag tool is also necessary to actuate the throttles throughout the procedure.

The engine management does slightly compensate for out-of synch throttles on a bank, but the throttle actuator (a single actuator controls both banks as you know) linkage is adjustable to synch banks 1 and 2. You might have some luck with the motorcycle synch tool idea, but I'd have a back-up plan (a qualified, competent shop with factory tools) in case things get too far out of whack. I'm curious to hear your results!

Your comment about the timing procedure being over-complicated is 100% correct! The S54 procedure is just as ridiculous. After following the procedure step-by-step a few times (and realizing how stupid it was) I literally invented my own procedure, with great success. Germans LOVE to over-complicate things!

My Cars
    E39 M5 / E90
    Awesome work, very impressive.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by CBi View Post
    Excellent thread! Great job on the documentation, I love seeing this kind of stuff.

FYI on the throttles - The factory procedure uses two sets of dial indicators to adjust the throttles (they physically touch the throttle plates). You start with synching one pair, then one set to another, then the two sets, then you move to the other bank and do the same, then synch the banks. It's very long and time-consuming. I recently installed a set of Dinan throttles on an S62, so it's fresh in my head. A GT1 diag tool is also necessary to actuate the throttles throughout the procedure.

The engine management does slightly compensate for out-of synch throttles on a bank, but the throttle actuator (a single actuator controls both banks as you know) linkage is adjustable to synch banks 1 and 2. You might have some luck with the motorcycle synch tool idea, but I'd have a back-up plan (a qualified, competent shop with factory tools) in case things get too far out of whack. I'm curious to hear your results!

Your comment about the timing procedure being over-complicated is 100% correct! The S54 procedure is just as ridiculous. After following the procedure step-by-step a few times (and realizing how stupid it was) I literally invented my own procedure, with great success. Germans LOVE to over-complicate things!
    I prefer what the OP proposes to do which is hit behind the throttles with a vacuum slider gauge and adjust each accordingly.

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Awesome guide!
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone

My Cars
    just germans
    awesome to see somthing like this done by someone other than RAZA... lol.
    I hope it goes well in that road trip....!
    2001 BMW 540i E39
    Lots of mods and more to come...

under construcion
    ... http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1204241
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTempoLimit View Post
    so I have "Master's Degree in Tail Happy", with a minor in "spinning out and somehow not hitting anything".

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Thanks for the kind words! Much appreciated!

Xeniczone,
    The reason I didn't go with sleeves is due to the fact that the car is going to be at factory level and unmodified. I want to get at least another 200k miles out of this car and wanted to build it in a way that would allow it to achieve that kind of mileage without any complications. Sleeving a block is great for high power engines, but for something like mine I didn't see the reason to do it as it adds to the complexity of an engine and costs too much for what I really needed.

A few years ago I became intimately familiar with sleeves in an Acura NSX block. A friend brought it down because he just had it sleeved and it didn't look quite right. We found that the shop which installed the sleeves goofed up one bank, but then got the other bank seated correctly. On the first bank, they went too low and had no way to correct it. IOW, the block was ruined. We knew this and explained it to the shop. They knew they screwed up, but refused to admit it and told us it was fine and refused to do anything about it. We kept asking why one side looked perfect and the other didn't to no avail. My friend put the block together and after a short time the sleeves sank and that was the end of it. He had to start over with a new block and build. The added complexity of installing sleeves is just something I didn't want to do in a factory power level car, especially after the experience we had with the NSX. If I wanted to make big power, I'd consider sleeving it, but I'm not looking for big power, just a long lasting OEM engine.

CBi,
    That's interesting how BMW wants the throttle bodies balanced. I was going to use a series of calibrated vac gauges instead. I can see why BMW wants to do it in the way you describe. When I used engine vac to balance motorcycle carbs I found that if they are perfectly balance at idle, they can change and be out of balance under load. I wonder if the method BMW recommends is a way to assure balance at all load levels. I'll have to look into that. I do have gauges which can be modified to work in a way BMW recommends, so maybe I'll try doing it both ways and see if the end result is the same. Thanks!

Jack

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Nice work
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    02 540i 6MT
    nicely done!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by JackM View Post
    Thanks for the kind words! Much appreciated!

Xeniczone,
    The reason I didn't go with sleeves is due to the fact that the car is going to be at factory level and unmodified. I want to get at least another 200k miles out of this car and wanted to build it in a way that would allow it to achieve that kind of mileage without any complications. Sleeving a block is great for high power engines, but for something like mine I didn't see the reason to do it as it adds to the complexity of an engine and costs too much for what I really needed.
    You probably know this but even on factory sleeved blocks they can drop. Very common on land rover engines (knock on wood). Also being iron based the sleeve can rust especially in performance applications where the owners don't think ahead and run straight water with no corrosion inhibitor. The liners can rust from the coolant passage side without anyone even knowing until well... you know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast