Thread: High Amperage Fuses in 2000 328i Glovebox - How to reach?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328i

High Amperage Fuses in 2000 328i Glovebox - How to reach?

Hi everyone, I've just joined the ranks with a 2000 328i! I've got one small problem though - the radiator auxiliary fan never seems to turn on, causing me to overheat in stop&go traffic. I think I've tracked down the problem to the fact that there's never any voltage coming from the two big power wires in the 3-wire cable going to the fan's electronics box. The fan works fine if I apply +12 volts directly to the socket though.

The electrical diagram shows that the +12V wire goes to a fuse, so that may be blown. I've found conflicting info on whether the 2000 model uses fuse #37, or #101 for this. My fuse #37 is fine. So I figure I should check #101, but that's in the high amperage fuse box way behind the main fuses in the glovebox.

So, how the heck do I get to the high amperage fuses? The Bentley manual says to lower the main fuse panel down all the way and pull some covers off the back, but it doesn't seem to want to go down more than 45 degrees. Do I need to remove the glovebox itself? Or just pull down harder? Is it catching on something? Anyone ever checked these fuses before? It feels like I'm going to break something if I pull the fuse box down anymore.

I haven't been able to find much info on the web about this high-amperage fuse panel

(image of high-amperage fuse panel from the manual)
    http://i.imgur.com/kXQPM.jpg

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    I believe when I removed my glove box to replace my FSR, I was able to easily see those, so I [i]believe[/b] the glove box has to be dropped.

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    Check your fuse 50. That controls the auxilary fan.
    Now they dropping and yelling, it's a tad too late, Nate K and Rayzah Blade had to regulate.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her." ~W.C. Fields
    Two tone leather boots, CF B&R emblems, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED sidemarkers, CF interior layout, Suwoo highbeam bowls
    Rooted Droid2 running stock overclocked to 600 MHz

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328i
    Thanks telijah & NDubSki. I'll try checking fuse #50 at least. I didn't check that before since the fuse diagram says it only controls "heater/AC/blower". If that fuse is OK, I guess I'll try removing the glovebox.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by telijah View Post
    I believe when I removed my glove box to replace my FSR, I was able to easily see those, so I [i]believe[/b] the glove box has to be dropped.
    This worked. I just removed the whole glovebox housing with the 6 screws, glovebox and all. With that removed, it gave me a little more room to lift the fuse box up and off the hinges, and made it possible to get to the high-amperage fuses.

Found out Fuse #101 was indeed blown. I'll probably need to get a new fan too since there seems to be no shorts. I don't want to have to replace this fuse again!

Anyway, thanks for the advice!