Thread: Fuel tank only fills halfway

My Cars
    2000 528i

Fuel tank only fills halfway

hi guys,

The other night I was getting some dino juice in my 99 528i touring. I let the tank fill by itself until the pump clicked off, signaling that the tank was full. It wasn't, however, and in fact was only halfway full (I know because I only had about a gallon of gas left in the tank). I waited a bit and tried to fill again only to quickly hear the click again. I tried yet again and this time a bit of fuel spilled out of where the nozzle inserts.

After that odd experience I fired up Test #6 in the low OBC and noticed that the sender was showing 000310 (unsure of last three digits) signaling that there was no fuel in the left bank of the tank. After driving around for a while it started to show something like 060270 -- I guess a bit of sloshing around filled up the left bank a bit.

I'm wondering why fuel isn't being transferred from the right side (where the filler is) to the left side of the tank. It seems so odd. It's not a matter of the gauge not showing the right amount of fuel (because it shows that the tank is half full), but rather that the fuel isn't always going to the other side of the tank.

This only happens intermittently by the way. There are days where I can fill up the car without any trouble.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    wtf is dino juice? that's what I'm hung up on

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    1999 528i
    Sometimes I fill up my '99 528i with "dino juice" and the gauge doesn't show it. the next day the gauge is reading normal.

My Cars
    '98 528i, '00 M5
    I dont see how it can not fill the left half. Fuel should just run over the top of the right side. Sounds like a vent problem.

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5, F30 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
    I dont see how it can not fill the left half. Fuel should just run over the top of the right side. Sounds like a vent problem.
    This.

Did you try to continue filling the tank at a slower speed? It's possible the fuel gun you were using was defective as well to back pressure. Try another gas station.

LA chapter BMW CCA autocross CDI
    www.bmwclubla.org

My Cars
    2000 528i
    That's what I thought too. It didn't make any sense to me either. What was even more confusing was that the digital gauge as part of the low obc gauge was showing the left bank as completely empty (ie. the 000 part of the 000310 reading).

Why would the fuel overflow, causing it to spill out of the latch though? Something is odd...

My Cars
    2003 525i
    There is a port side fuel sensor and a starboard side fuel sensor. Inbetween there is a mechanical syphon jet (pump).

You got an issue:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=16&fg=15

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...25&hg=16&fg=05

I also had to replace my failing 'Leak Diagnosis Pump' # 12...a freaky uber method of krazy Kalifornian Emmisons freaks getting their hands into our cars:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=16&fg=10
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    '98 528i, '00 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinc00 View Post
    That's what I thought too. It didn't make any sense to me either. What was even more confusing was that the digital gauge as part of the low obc gauge was showing the left bank as completely empty (ie. the 000 part of the 000310 reading).

Why would the fuel overflow, causing it to spill out of the latch though? Something is odd...
    If the vent is clogged, air cant get out as you fill the tank. Then the fuel pump (gas station) will shut off.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    If the vent is clogged, air cant get out as you fill the tank. Then the fuel pump (gas station) will shut off.
    Any way to unclog said vent?

My Cars
    E39 99 528iT
    Could be a faulty fuel level sensor.
    Go to test 6. There are more parts to test 6 beside the fuel levels.
    L, R and total fuel, next part of test 6, 1.6.1 tells you both sensors are good, 1.6.2 tells you if one sensor is bad but doesn't tell you which one, 1.6.3 tells you both sensors are bad or the Kombi can't access the information IIRC.
    Hope this helps as I don't have my car with me at present to check accuracy of above info.

RonR
    99 528iT M52TU

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    I would like info on this vent as well.

I have to pump gas at 3/4's speed to make it not stop at around 8 gallons.

-Anson
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    1999 528it
    Any tips or procedures for clearing this vent?

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    I get the same problem, but only at shell
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    destiny
    is dino juice not gasoline?
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinc00 View Post
    1. ...I fired up Test #6 in the low OBC and noticed that the sender was showing 000310 (unsure of last three digits) signaling that there was no fuel in the left bank of the tank.

2. After driving around for a while it started to show something like 060270 -- I guess a bit of sloshing around filled up the left bank a bit.

3. I'm wondering why fuel isn't being transferred from the right side (where the filler is) to the left side of the tank. It seems so odd. ...
    I recognize that this is an older thread that has been brought back to life...but there's some misconceptions that should probably be cleared up so that others reading this now (and any future searches) won't react to incorrect info.

Clarification for #1 & #2

See the info below on how OBC TEST #6 should be interpreted for the LOW instrument cluster. As someone mentioned...TEST 6 has 3 sub-tests which overall gives a lot of detail about how the fuel level sensors are working:

click this link for instruction on how to UNLOCK the high or low OBC...plus the description of what all 21 OBC TESTs represent:

Clarification for #3

Our fuel tanks are kind of "semi-bifurcated" or "saddled" (has two parts but not completely separated) but the fuel on the LEFT side is syphoned over to the RIGHT side (not the other direction as the OP presumed). You can see the two fuel level sensors in the diagram below. The data that they send to the instrument cluster (IKE) will read that the left side empties first (will go to ZERO liters)...although the fuel in the tank is really going down evenly, then when the fuel on the left side falls below the saddle/hump...it relies on the syphon jet pump to transfer it over to the right side where the fuel pump is located that sends it on to the engine:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    My bet would be that the problem is the fuel sensor. Are you sure that the tank is not filling, could it just be gauge error? If it is the sending unit then a bottle of Techron added at each fill up will cure it, after a few treatments.

BTW: This is a common problem among those who don't use Top Tier gasolines or regular Techron treatments. Deposits build up on the sending units and cause error in readings. Techron helps remove the deposits.
    Last edited by chiefwej; 10-21-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
    See: My REGISTRY PICTURES
    Mods:plate delete, debadged, 35% tint,euro console, Evans NPG (zero pressure cooling system), CDV delete, Rogue Octane SSK, RP Symcromax

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    It's not my fuel level sensor. I get 10-11 gal in when I'm on empty before it clicks. It clicks every half gallon until 18.5 gal. It must be some sort of vent problem.
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwhiteman View Post
    It's not my fuel level sensor. I get 10-11 gal in when I'm on empty before it clicks. It clicks every half gallon until 18.5 gal. It must be some sort of vent problem.
    Perhaps it can't handle the length of the nozzle. Are you shoving it all the way in...or do you back out the gas nozzle a bit so that you can continue to fill the tank?

I can't stick it all the way in on either of my BMWs...I always have to just stick the tip of the nozzle (like the first 4-5 inches) in if I don't want to have the gas pump click off before the tank is full.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    It started doing this about a month ago. I've had the car for 2 years and it had never done it before. Now it does it every time without fail regardless of pump or station.
    It's also CA so I can't back the nozzle out, it shuts it off if the vapor seal isn't compressed, I've tried holding it back and keeping the nozzle out a bit but it still clicks
    Last edited by bmwhiteman; 10-22-2012 at 05:59 PM.

My Cars
    2000 E39 540i6 E34 525i
    I also had a similar problem with my car when I purchased it, it had to be re-fueled slow or the pump would click off. I found that my tank purge valve electrical connector was covered in a green slime substance, cleaned this off with contact cleaner and gave the pins a scratching, re-connected it and have not had any problems re-fueling since.
    http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/02/33/21