Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New sound system done! Almost. (pics!)

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu

New sound system done! Almost. (pics!)

I would like to thank Hurricane Irene for my new sound system. No power for a few days finally bored me enough to begin, what I knew would be, a long stressful build. But with it being 95% done I'm sure glad I did it .

Speakers:
    2 - 6x9 Kicker KS693 coax speakers in sealed enclosures
    2 - 5.25 Kicker KS525 coax speakers
    2 - 6.5 Alpine SPS-610C component speakers w/ tweeters
    2 - 3.5 Polk Audio coax speakers (on order)

Subs:
    2 - 10" Memphis 15-PR10D4 DVC

Amplifiers:
    Kenwood KAC-9105D 1800w mono
    Sony Xplod 600w 4/3 Channel

Started by removing all rear interior parts

Marked where the 6x9 enclosures will drop into the back dash

Angle grinder!

Reupholstering the back dash: fabric removed

Marked where to cut out of the dash for the 6x9 enclosures

$6 a yard!

Sorry about the blur. That is the speaker covers in the back dash. Upholstering those

Not a perfect circle but the speakers will cover it

Ok, this may raise some controversy but I decided to do something completely unheard of (at least I nor Audio One have ever seen anything like it). I decided to have the subs mounted in the back seats, not free air subs mounted behind the seats but actually IN the seats. As you will see, the subs are the only things showing...you can actually see the subs from inside the car. This required more angle grinding of the frame for the sub enclosures to protrude into the trunk.

Now before anyone rips me a new one as to why that was a stupid thing to do, I am going to be adding reinforcing bars in the trunk to keep the frame rigid.

12" concrete tubing from home depot

The enclosure was originally 12x12

Was able to cut with a hammer hitting the razor around the tube

prefit

Glueing

This had to be done in order to fit into the trunk due to the wheel wells

Marked where the enclosures were going to sit. I practiced this on a salvage back seat first

cut that metal rod

CAREFULLY check and recheck and recheck and recheck when cutting the sub outline

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu

Part 2

time for the kick panels

Finally got a dremmel. by far the best $50 I spent for this project!

driver side kick panel

Speaker grill should be ready for pick-up tomorrow

Wiring from the head unit I ran under the center console

back dash and c pillars back in

6x9 boxes packed with stuffing

5.25 Kicker's

Don't know if this is doing much but I decided to block the small whole behind the speakers that goes into the trunk

6x9 Kicker KS693

Going outside to get finished pics!

My Cars
    Scrap
    not a fan of the grills on the speakers, and i dont like the speaker fitment in the seats, but whatever you are into.

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve547i View Post
    not a fan of the grills on the speakers, and i dont like the speaker fitment in the seats, but whatever you are into.
    to each his own.

btw to all - I will be working on some sort of fitment to go just over, but to the sides of, the subs so sitting in the back will be possible

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Odd choice for speakers. And seat fitment?! But I appreciate the work! Those speakers will not seal properly though screwed into the back of the seat. Thats why all mounting surfaces are usually flat and hard
    Last edited by mikemxbike4; 09-26-2011 at 10:23 PM.

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemxbike4 View Post
    Odd choice for speakers. And seat fitment?! But I appreciate the work!
    I am by no means an audio expert but what I have done works really well (to my liking). Any suggestions as to speaker choice?

Still need to clean up the wires lol

Last edited by cult4d5; 09-26-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Well, you have 2 midrange pairs out back( one pair 2-way and one pair 3-way?) from what it looks like. That's overkill if you ask me. Most high sound quality systems will have only front components for natural soundstage, with tweeters up high, as close to ear level as possible. If you are going to run rears as well, I would stick to one component pair at the most.

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu
    Well, you have 2 midrange pairs out back( one pair 2-way and one pair 3-way?) from what it looks like. That's overkill if you ask me. Most high sound quality systems will have only front components for natural soundstage, with tweeters up high, as close to ear level as possible. If you are going to run rears as well, I would stick to one component pair at the most.
    besides the tweeters at ear level isn't that what I have? one pair of components up front? I know what you mean about the overkill in the rear but it doesn't seem to be too much. The sound quality is there. it's a lot in the rear but thats because I havent put the 3.5's in the front dash. I know that will even things out somewhat.

but given what I have at the moment any recommendations in addition to what you already said? TIA

My Cars
    cars
    You just turned your four door sedan into a 2 seater.

My Cars
    1991 525i M50nv
    uhm and say goodbye to the rear seat

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneider View Post
    You just turned your four door sedan into a 2 seater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyler Relyk View Post
    uhm and say goodbye to the rear seat
    I will be making some sort of cover that goes just pass and on either side of the subs but wont be blocking them at all. I don't mind temporarily making this 5 seater a 3 seater for a while, 90% of the time I have one passenger and sometimes 3 so I'm all good

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by cult4d5 View Post
    besides the tweeters at ear level isn't that what I have? one pair of components up front? I know what you mean about the overkill in the rear but it doesn't seem to be too much. The sound quality is there. it's a lot in the rear but thats because I havent put the 3.5's in the front dash. I know that will even things out somewhat.

but given what I have at the moment any recommendations in addition to what you already said? TIA
    Move front tweets higher. That low location location will muffle out a lot of higher frequencies if you don't. Also, how do you have all those speakers hooked up to your 4-channel? Rear ones sharing same channel?

PS: You could get a lot of good advice on the Car audio subforum as well
    Last edited by mikemxbike4; 09-26-2011 at 10:59 PM.

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu
    Move front tweets higher. That low location location will muffle out a lot of higher frequencies if you don't. Also, how do you have all those speakers hooked up to your 4-channel? Rear ones sharing same channel?

PS: You could get a lot of good advice on the Car audio subforum as well
    Actually just the front 6.5's and rear 6x9's are powered by the 4 channel amp. the rear 5.25's are powered by the head unit but I will be amping all of them soon, gotta save for another amp

My Cars
    E34 535i
    You cut the seats to fit speakers?!?? i guess this means you don'e take more than one passenger as sitting with a speaker in your back would be very uncomfortable.

FWIW the ski hole makes a perfect spot to fire a ported enclosure into the cabin.

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu
    Quote Originally Posted by eightynine535 View Post
    You cut the seats to fit speakers?!?? i guess this means you don'e take more than one passenger as sitting with a speaker in your back would be very uncomfortable.

FWIW the ski hole makes a perfect spot to fire a ported enclosure into the cabin.
    lol as I've posted a few times now you will eventually be able to sit in those seats. and believe me i tried the ski hole. it was ok but with one sub I wasn't getting what I wanted out of the bass. I know I could have gotten a more powerful sub but I already had the 2 subs and the amp and I'm all about custom and doing the odd so this was perfect for me. And it hits pretty dam hard too.

My Cars
    E34 535i
    lol as I've posted a few times now you will eventually be able to sit in those seats. and believe me i tried the ski hole. it was ok but with one sub I wasn't getting what I wanted out of the bass. I know I could have gotten a more powerful sub but I already had the 2 subs and the amp and I'm all about custom and doing the odd so this was perfect for me. And it hits pretty dam hard too.
    Back in the day, my cousin and I fit 2 15" subs in the rear deck. We used the trunk as the sub box. Trust me when i say it was loud!

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    I like the creativity! Maybe your girlfriend will like sitting in the back seats and getting felt up by the sub

I would concerned about the flex of those drums that the subs are in. Play around with the front stage and see if you like the sound of the tweeters in the OE location. ANd like others have said the rear fill, isn't exactly fill. But hey, whatever you think sounds good to you! Where you sent the frequencies and volumes of each speaker will be important but also a bigger PITA with this setup. Just make it so you are happy with it. In the end that is all that matters.

yeah for my taste even one high quality 10 in there doesn't cut it as a substitue for 2 10s. The only single I have found satisfactory is a sub like the 12 inch IDMAX that I have in a GermanAudioSpecialties ported box.
    Last edited by darrenforeal; 09-26-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

TRM Turbo, Hybrid Audio Technologies stereo, S50 Cams, list goes on and on and on...

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenforeal View Post
    I like the creativity! Maybe your girlfriend will like sitting in the back seats and getting felt up by the sub

I would concerned about the flex of those drums that the subs are in. Play around with the front stage and see if you like the sound of the tweeters in the OE location. ANd like others have said the rear fill, isn't exactly fill. But hey, whatever you think sounds good to you! Where you sent the frequencies and volumes of each speaker will be important but also a bigger PITA with this setup. Just make it so you are happy with it. In the end that is all that matters.

yeah for my taste even one high quality 10 in there doesn't cut it as a substitue for 2 10s. The only single I have found satisfactory is a sub like the 12 inch IDMAX that I have in a GermanAudioSpecialties ported box.
    You have no idea how many people have said something about that...hmm next project when I get new seats will be flat subs built into the bottom of the seats? oh. yes. I could obtain total control over my lovely fiance. gentlemen, I think I've got something here

I will definitely mess around with the front some, move the tweeters possibly to the b pillars right at ear level

Quote Originally Posted by eightynine535 View Post
    Back in the day, my cousin and I fit 2 15" subs in the rear deck. We used the trunk as the sub box. Trust me when i say it was loud!
    That sounds sweet! I had thought of adding an 8 inch sub in the read dash in addition to everything else but I dont think I should. I like my idea of flat subs under my new seats when I get them
    Last edited by cult4d5; 09-27-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    93 525ia, 92 535it/5
    Why build a "cover" when you could have just left the leather on the seat. The ear can't tell where the bass comes from ... I don't even know what else to say about that.

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoNew View Post
    Why build a "cover" when you could have just left the leather on the seat. The ear can't tell where the bass comes from ... I don't even know what else to say about that.
    I completely understand what you are saying and you are absolutely correct. I would have done that expect for the fact that I did this for looks as well. I love being able to see the subs sitting in the seat as they are now.

My Cars
    too many, see sig
    I think it looks pretty well done for a home job.
    I can count on one hand the number of times I've had passengers in my rear seats.

My Cars
    '95 525iA m50tu
    Quote Originally Posted by richinvan View Post
    I think it looks pretty well done for a home job.
    I can count on one hand the number of times I've had passengers in my rear seats.
    Thank you! It was a lot of work. I can't think of many times I've had rear passengers either

My Cars
    Na
    I do like how you mounted the subs into the seats. Very cool! But as for anyone sitting in them, doesn't low sound frequencies ruin kidneys? lol
    "...there’s nothing like the scream of an old straight six, a sound only comparable to a monster that eats children and rocks for breakfast and howls like a banshee when the loud-pedal is mashed." - Mike Burroughs

My Cars
    '91 e34 535 Twin Screw'd
    I hope you live in a nice area otherwise someone will break into your car and steal all your speakers.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product... I think.

BRENDAN - Put a SOHC in it!

My Cars
    17 440i Coupe RWD
    Looks insane! You have some serious skills. I bet it sounds awesome.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast