Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DriveShaft Shop 1000hp Rear Axles, and Driveshaft E36

My Cars
    skateboard

DriveShaft Shop 1000hp Rear Axles, and Driveshaft E36

I know CES sells them, but who is using them. Input and thoughts on the products. I feel that there isn't much info shared on this topic. Sure used stock parts are cheap, but I'm sure it can get annoying replacing them often if you try to go to the track.
    Last edited by GG///M3; 09-12-2011 at 07:48 PM.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    many
    i use both drive shaft and axles. my axles are basically same as a e36 m3 they use same inner and outer joints, just shorter (mcoupe length)
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    First 8 second full body BMW with BMW independent rear suspension in the USA
    8.69 @160mph in a 1/4mile on slicks.
    drag radial tires record holder9.53@148. Also a world record holder for bmw overall 60-130mph 4.2 seconds.
    Bistein sport susp,turner sway bars,3:25lsd,m52 AEM INFINITY stand alone. MORAN 2500cc injectors E85 ,front mount 33x12x4 intercooler, 5lug conversion M3 front,Mcoupe rear Dss axles/driveshaft ATI Proglide.
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3
    1986 Mercedes Cosworth 190e 2.3 16v 5speed (sold)

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by djborya View Post
    i use both drive shaft and axles. my axles are basically same as a e36 m3 they use same inner and outer joints, just shorter (mcoupe length)
    So the axles are a little shorter. How long have you been running them? The Drive shaft is it steel or aluminum? I know they made a switch now. CES sells an aluminum 1, and at the DSS site they sell a Steel unit. Which are you using, and does it vibrate much?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    many
    i put them in in the spring driveshaft is steel.it vibrates a little above 80 mph..
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    drag radial tires record holder9.53@148. Also a world record holder for bmw overall 60-130mph 4.2 seconds.
    Bistein sport susp,turner sway bars,3:25lsd,m52 AEM INFINITY stand alone. MORAN 2500cc injectors E85 ,front mount 33x12x4 intercooler, 5lug conversion M3 front,Mcoupe rear Dss axles/driveshaft ATI Proglide.
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by djborya View Post
    i put them in in the spring driveshaft is steel.it vibrates a little above 80 mph..
    Pretty good info. Does it get any worse above 80mph. Also any of the aluminum new DSS/CES driveshaft owners care to share their experiences on fitment, and or vibrations?
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    many
    I can geel everything vibrate pretty bad at 150.the faster u go the worse itis.
    B.
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    The vibration is partially due (from what i've been told) from the tranny being at a 5 degree angle compared to the driveshaft.. it's not a straight line like you would think.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    FrankBuilt 95 TRM3
    The driveshafts can be balanced fairly easy by using hose clamps and rotating them.
    Put it on a lift, lift the rear up, take the tires off and add hose clamps at the front and rear of the ds. Have one person in the car accelerating and the other person making adjustments. You can add weight in between the hose clamps by using washers.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Yes I'm wondering how the new CES/DSS aluminum DS is working out, and if they have done this kind of testing. Paging John of CES
    ― George Orwell

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Would JB Weld work?
    Do some precision spin balancing.
    Last edited by milKt; 09-13-2011 at 10:34 AM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    That may work. Its seems like not many complaints on the axles. Boris how long have you been running the axles?
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    I think they have plans to install one on a shop car. That was a couple months ago, so maybe its already happened?
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    skateboard
    Once again paging John of CES to share some of the vast amounts of knowledge here.
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '99 M3
    I have a Chromoly DS and it vibrates above 40mph. I tried clocking the shaft like they say to do, and it helped a little. I actually took it off and I am letting a friend use it, because it didn't make sense to me to use it for daily driving......

I would like to see a video on the hose clamp technique...sounds interesting!
    TEC-3R, T4 GT40, WISECO, EAGLE, SUPERTECH, O-RING'D "FRANKENSTEIN" STROKER.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Can you lower the transmission a bit to reduce the angle placed on the driveshaft?
    Last edited by futureroadracer; 09-13-2011 at 11:14 AM.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 95 Turbo Maxima
    I cant speak for the axles. But their driveshafts are garbage. when I brought mine; they claimed that it was perfecty balanced. Mounted mine up; over 80+ mph the shit will vibrate. Contacted DDS about the issue; then they claime that its an installation issue. Go figure. Do yourself a favor stay away. Long story short its messed up my rear diff and tranny seals.

Waste of money.

My Cars
    96 Oil Gobbler
    I spoke with John a few days ago.

1) The old DSS driveshaft vibrated due to the construction of the flexable joint. No matter how balanced the driveshaft was, the design of the joint would inevitably lead to vibration. I dont think I have heard of any of these things functioning without vibration

2) The new DSS driveshaft that CES has been working with DSS on has been constructed. Last I heard it made its way onto the shop widebody car and was tested up to 80 mph with zero vibration. He wasnt able to test it any furthur.

I believe they are making two versions: Steel and Carbon fiber....not aluminum.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    From the CES site:
    1 piece 1000hp capable driveshaft conversion for the BMW E36. The shaft is 606-T6 aluminum with 7075-T6 plats to convert the ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    Can you lower the transmission a bit to reduce the angle placed on the driveshaft?
    I don't know, never tried it.
    Last edited by Shuasha; 09-13-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    many
    Oh and I forgot to mention that the shaft vibrated like crazy when I first installed it (i put the slip joint twards the front of the car) then I turned it aroumd and put the slip joint twards the rear of the car wich helped the vibration alot.
    B.
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    So what you're saying is that it seems they have have a new and improved e36 variant, but the e30 / coupe body type DS is still the same?

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    many
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    So what you're saying is that it seems they have have a new and improved e36 variant, but the e30 / coupe body type DS is still the same?

Yep same it will only work in the zf swapped e30...
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3

My Cars
    CES Stage 3 Turbo M3
    Sorry to chime in so late.. Yes, we have a new DSS driveshaft that we worked with Frank at DSS to fix the vibration issues that were existing in the old Driveshafts due to the slip joint. I have another post that details all this info on what was done etc... etc... We designed the driveshaft for our 750 diff conversion upgrades, and will also offer ones that will work with the stock e36 diffs as well. It utilizes a cv joint in the rear now, and is still a one piece in design. I have not had a chance to extensively test the driveshaft yet, but small blasts up and down the road by the shop have shown no vibration issues that were existent at even those speeds in the old design... FYI: The info on our website was taken directly from DSS which is outdated about it being aluminum... Our new website will be online hopefully very soon... so apologies the old site has not been updated in a while... The unit we have now I believe is either chromoly or steel, and a carbon fiber version is also in the works as long as fitment is not an issue since the clearances very tight in the tunnel and the carbon shaft is a 1/4 in wider on each side... I will post more updates when I have time.. Just so busy guys so apologies again for not being on top of the forums right now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by jgcm3 View Post
    Sorry to chime in so late.. Yes, we have a new DSS driveshaft that we worked with Frank at DSS to fix the vibration issues that were existing in the old Driveshafts due to the slip joint. I have another post that details all this info on what was done etc... etc... We designed the driveshaft for our 750 diff conversion upgrades, and will also offer ones that will work with the stock e36 diffs as well. It utilizes a cv joint in the rear now, and is still a one piece in design. I have not had a chance to extensively test the driveshaft yet, but small blasts up and down the road by the shop have shown no vibration issues that were existent at even those speeds in the old design... FYI: The info on our website was taken directly from DSS which is outdated about it being aluminum... Our new website will be online hopefully very soon... so apologies the old site has not been updated in a while... The unit we have now I believe is either chromoly or steel, and a carbon fiber version is also in the works as long as fitment is not an issue since the clearances very tight in the tunnel and the carbon shaft is a 1/4 in wider on each side... I will post more updates when I have time.. Just so busy guys so apologies again for not being on top of the forums right now...
    Thanks for getting us this info John you are killing it with the new stuff coming out..
    Last edited by GG///M3; 09-13-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    none
    I make one piece drive shafts. I have sent them all over contry. Not one person has EVER given me ANY imput so I've taken it as a win! However I used one in my 99 m3 while being NA and did a pull to 145 and it was smoooooothe and I don't make axels so I run th dss 1000hp in the same car with 0 issues! I also didn't make my drive shafts with adapters its true oe install with slip joint in rear and only 1 way to install...

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    BAM!!!!!! We may have a winner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast