Thread: 2012 BMW Model Year Update

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Post 2012 BMW Model Year Update

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - September 12, 2011... This release outlines only the changes that will take place from September production onward and in most cases represent running changes to 2012 models. For complete descriptions of the 2012 models, please refer to the individual press kits available on www.bmwusanews.com.

From autumn 2011, newly developed engines, innovative BMW ConnectedDrive functions and numerous other attractive additions to standard and optional equipment will lend further variety to the BMW model range and imbue the brand’s hallmark characteristics with renewed vigor. Newly developed petrol and diesel engines backed by BMW TwinPower Turbo technology will be made available for several model series, boosting driving pleasure once again while further reducing fuel consumption and emissions. At the same time, the range of BMW Efficient Dynamics technology fitted as standard will be expanded across the model series.

New exterior paint finishes and interior trim variants, additional comfort enhancing features and innovative systems linking up drivers with their cars and surroundings underline the premium character of the individual models. For example, the Real-Time Traffic Information and Apps functions from BMW ConnectedDrive will be available for several models from autumn 2011.

BMW 3 Series range: attractive Edition models add the personal touch.

From autumn 2011, the BMW 3 Series Coupé and BMW 3 Series Convertible will be available in Exclusive Edition and M Sport Edition guises. Precisely coordinated design features and equipment options offer customers the chance to add striking emphasis to either the sophisticated or the dynamic side of their car’s character. A BMW Individual hardtop in contrasting paint finish is available for the first time for the BMW 3 Series Convertible. And the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition Touring will also be available in Exclusive and Lifestyle special editions.

BMW 5 Series range: even more efficient thanks to BMW TwinPower Turbo.

The BMW 5 Series range builds on its leading position in the areas of design, sporting capability, comfort and efficiency with an extended range of engines. The BMW 520d EfficientDynamics Edition, for example, represents the epitome of efficiency in a premium executive class car. The Sedan is powered by a 135 kW/184 hp four-cylinder diesel engine, yet its average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle is just 4.5 litres per 100 kilometres (62.8 mpg imp). New four-cylinder engines with BMW TwinPower Turbotechnology add further talent to the line-up of petrol and diesel powerplants.The eight-cylinder engine under its bonnet makes the BMW 550i Touring the flagship five-door variant of the 5 Series family. A new highlight from BMW ConnectedDrive, meanwhile, is the hands-free tailgate/rear window opening function – an additional string to the Comfort Access option’s bow. In addition, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo can be ordered with an M Sport package from autumn 2011, and new options from the BMW Individual range are also available for this model.

BMW 6 Series range: premiere for six-cylinder diesel engine and xDrive.

Coinciding with the market launch of the new BMW 6 Series Coupé, additional engine variants will also be available for the new BMW 6 Series Convertible from autumn 2011. Making its debut in both models is the world’s sportiest six-cylinder diesel engine, a 230 kW/313 hp 3.0-litre unit boasting BMW TwinPower Turbo technology. For the first time, BMW 6 Series models will be available with the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system – just one of the innovative equipment features customers will be able to order for their new BMW 6 Series Coupé or Convertible.

BMW 7 Series range: M Sport package for the BMW ActiveHybrid 7.
    Attractive additions to its selection of optional equipment further increasethe BMW 7 Series range’s profile in the luxury sedan segment, while the introduction of the M Sport package for the BMW ActiveHybrid 7 lays on an even more alluring combination of luxury, efficiency and sports performance.

BMW Z4: now with even greater efficiency and Pure Balance design package.

The BMW Z4 will line up from autumn 2011 with the promise of further advances in driving pleasure and efficiency. Two newly developed four-cylinder petrol engines with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology will be available for the Roadster. The 2.0-litre units for the BMW Z4 sDrive20i and BMW Z4 sDrive28i develop 135 kW/184 hp and 180 kW/245 hp respectively, and can team up – as an option – with an eight-speed automatic transmission. All variants of the BMW Z4 will now be fitted as standard with Servotronic speed-sensitive power steering, and the BMW Z4 sDrive35i will also feature 18-inch light-alloy wheels in multispoke design. Added to which, the appeal of the successful two-seater rises still further with the introduction of the new Design Pure Balance equipment package.

2012 BMW Model Specific Standard and Option Equipment Changes

All Vehicles

New Option:
    BMW Applications will be available as a stand-alone option on all models for $250. With this addition, the Smartphone Integration will be removed as a stand-alone option and now included in BMW Applications.

1 Series

MY 2012 - Start of March 2011
    Standard Equipment Changes
    • IPod/USB Adapter was added to all 1 Series as standard
    • Power Seats and Lumbar Support were added to the 135i Coupes as convertibles as standard.
    • Through-Load was added to 128i/135i Convertibles as standard
    • 17’ wheel (+1”) was added to 128i Convertibles as standard
    • 18” wheel (+2”) was added to 135i Convertibles as standard
    Options Automatic
    • Transmission will be offered as a no-charge option on 128i Coupes and Convertibles. (Previously a $1,375 option)
    • Double Clutch Transmission price has been lowered on 135i Coupes and Convertibles
    • Alpine White Trim has been added for all models as a no-charge option.
    • The price of Rear Park distance Control has been increased on all 1 Series models to establish consistency with the price of this option on other BMW models.

Package Changes
    • The Sport Package has been eliminated for the 135i Coupes and Convertibles.
      • The Value Package on all models will be eliminated (previously included leather and IPod/USB
      • The Premium Package now includes leather on all models. Power Seats and Lumbar Support have been eliminated from Package for 135i Coupes and Convertibles as they are now standard.
      • The Cold weather package no longer includes Through Load for the Convertibles (now standard) and ski Bag for the Coupes.
    3 Series
    Options

• Automatic Transmission will be offered as a no-charge option (previously $1,375) on all 3 Series except 335d where it is already standard.
    • Double Clutch Transmission price has been lowered on 335is Coupe and Convertible.
    Package Changes

• Coupes and Convertibles: In an effort to promote the appearance upgrades of the M Sport Package, the price has been reduced on the M Sport Package and the basic Sport Package has been deleted.
    • The 3 Series Coupe xDrive models will also come standard with 17” All Season tires.
    5 Series
    • Automatic Start/Stop function
    • Brake Energy Regeneration
    • BMW Applications will be available as a stand-alone option
    • Smartphone Integration now included in BMW Applications.
    • The 528i introduces the first ever 4 cylinder engine in a 5 Series – The N 20 4 cylinder engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology with high precision direct injection, turbocharging according to the Twin Scroll principle, double VANOS variable camshaft timing and VALVETRONIC variable valve control.
    Options
    • X drive on the 528i - start of production will be September 2011 (announcement embargoed until July 15th)
    • The 5 Series GT for the first time will offer the M Sports Package as an option.
    7 Series
    • Ipod/USB Adapter, Sport Steering Wheel and Rear-view Camera was added to all 7 Series models as standard.
    • In addition, 19” wheels with all-season tires and Premium Hi-Fi were added to the V-8 models as standard.
    Package Changes
    • The Driver Assistance Package now includes Side and top-view for all models. On the 740i/Li and 750i/Li and xDrive models, the package also includes HeadUp Display.
    • The M Sport Package no longer includes Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) for all models. On the 750i/Li and xDrive models, the package was further reduced due to the addition of 19’ wheels as standard.
    ActiveHybrid 7
    • Replace 19” aero Wheel with the AG 19’ Wheel
    • Add IPod/USB Adapter
    • Remove Anthracite Headliner, leather Dashboard, Headup Display, Active front seats and Ventilated Front Seats
    Package Changes
    • Due to the removal of active and ventilated front seats, the ActiveHybrid will have the same Luxury Seating package as offered as an option on the 740i/Li and 750i/Li.
    X3
    Options
    • The 19” All Season tire upgrade for the xDrive36i Sport Activity Package is now available.
    Package Changes
    • The new M Sport Package became available in April 2011. Dynamic Handling Package in combination with M Sport Package has been reduced because the M Sport Package includes Performance Control.
    X5
    • Roof Rails will be added to the diesel, V-8 and X5 xDrive 35i Base model
    • The cargo Cover is standard on all models.
    • BMW Assist, IPod/USB Adapter, Hi-Fi Sound System and LED Corona Rings will be added as standard to all X5 Models.
    • Lumbar Support, Automatic Dim Mirrors, Park Distance Control, Automatic Tailgate, Ambient Lighting, Heated Seats will be added as standard to X5 xDrive35i Premium, X5 xDrive35i SAV, X5 xDrive 35d, X5 xDrive50i.
    • Privacy Glass will be added to the Diesel and V-8 models.
    • Leather and Power Steering Column will be added to the Diesel model.
    • Navigation and Universal Garage Door Opener will be added to the V-8 model.
    Options

• Leather and 3rd Row Seat will be added as standalone options to the X5 xDrive35i Base model.
    Package Changes
    • The Premium and Convenience Packages will now include Rear-view Camera, Navigation and Comfort Access.
    • Due to addition of Heated Front seats as standard, cold Weather Packages will now include Heated Rear Seats.
    • The Technology Packages will now consist of Head Up Display, Automatic High Beam assistant and Side-view Camera.
    • A new Premium Sound Package will be available on the X5 xDrive35i Premium and Sport Activity models that include Premium Sound and Satellite Radio.
    • Due to the addition of Park Distance Control as standard, the price of the M Sport Package on the X5 xDrive 50i is reduced.

X6

• IPod/USB Adapter, BMW Assist, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Ambient Lighting and Heated Front Seats are added a standard.
    • Lumbar Support is added to the X6 xDrive35i model.
    • Universal Garage Door Opener will be added to the X6 xDrive50i model.
    Option Changes
    • All new 5-seater option is available.
    Package Changes
    • Due to the addition of Heated Front Seats as standard, Cold Weather Packages will now include Heated Rear Seats.
    • The Technology Packages will now consist of Head Up Display, Automatic High Beam Assistant and Side-view Camera.
    • The Premium Package will now include Rear-view Camera, navigation, 4 Zone Climate Control, Rear manual Sunshades and Comfort Access.
    • Due to the addition of IPod Adapter as standard, the Premium Sound Package price is reduced.
    Z4
    Options
    • Automatic Transmission will be offered as a no-charge option on the 30i.
    • Double Clutch Transmission price has been lowered on the 35i.
    M Models
    • IPod/USB Adapter was added to the X5 M and X6 M.
    • Automatic Tailgate will be added to the X5 M.
    Package Changes
    On X5 M and X6 M, due to the addition of the IPod adapter as standard, the price of the Premium Sound Package is reduced.

The all-new 1 Series M Coupe is now available. (MY 2011 Only - Spring)
    Options
    • Heated front seats
    • BMW Assist with Bluetooth
    • Satellite radio w/ 1 year subscription
    • Harmon Kardon Sound System
    • IPod/USB Adapter
    • BMW Applications
    Convenience Package
    • Anti-theft Alarm System
    • Comfort access
    • Park distance Control Rear
    • Navigation System.
    Premium Package
    • Auto-dimming mirrors
    • Auto-dim rearview mirror
    • Power front seats
    • Lumbar support
    • Ambiance Lighting
    • BMW Assist with Bluetooth.
    • IPod/USB Adaptor

The all-new 6 Series
    The following equipment has been added to the 6 Series Coupe and Convertible models.

o Multi-contour seats
    o Nappa Leather
    o Comfort access
    o Variable Damping Control
    o 19” Wheels
    o Rear view Camera
    o LED fog lights

Options
    • BMW Apps
    • Ceramic controls
    • Heated front seats
    • 20” Wheel Leather Dash with stitching
    • Integral Active Steering
    • Active Roll Stabilization (ARS)
    • Active Cruise Control
    • Night Vision
    Luxury Seating Package
    • Rear sunshade
    • Active front seats
    • Ventilated front seats
    • Multi-contour seats
    Cold Weather Package
    • Heated steering wheel
    • Ski bag
    • Heated front seats
    Premium Sound Package
    • Premium Hi-Fi
    • Satellite Radio
    • USB Adaptor
    M Sport Package
    • 19’ wheels
    • M Steering Wheel
    • Aero Kit
    • Alcantara anthracite
    • Aero, sills, rest, etc
    Driver Assistance Package
    • Head Up Display
    • Surround View camera
    • High Beam Assistant
    • Lane Departure Warning
    • Parking Assistant
    • Blind Spot Detection

More...

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Still no F30 news!
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    1989 E30 325is
    Yep, BMW is being elusive about an F30 Diesel. The E90 335d is ending production next month but dealers don't know production date beginning for a replacement Diesel sedan. Perplexing.

My Cars
    1988 E34

Exclamation Integral active steering to 5er sedan

I am doing a bit of research for 5er's in USA.
    The integral active steering is a stand alone option for all 2WD 5er's(528i, 535i, 550i) but no option for xDrive 5er's (528ix, 535ix, 550ix). (This option is nowhere to be seen from bmwusa.com but on dealer's order sheet)
    The thing is, Integral Active steering is not listed as standard on 5er xDrive models. I am guessing two possibilities, maybe it's not for xDrive 5er's? Or maybe the feature is so new that they haven't put it on the standard feature list?

Does anyone know?