Thread: Lets talk about exhausts.

My Cars
    BMW 850

Lets talk about exhausts.

Ok guys.

I have a straight exhaust with a x pipe. No cats and nothing.
    I have been talking to a friend and he sais that I would be getting some more power if I would put Magnaflow cats and I would get rod of the drone sound.
    Is that true? Also the fuel smell wouldnt be as strong.

Here is a vid of how it is running.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/28626040[/ame]

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    MAGNAFLOWS (or any other exhaust system for that matter) do NOT produce more power in this car. The MAGNAFLOWS (as well as others) actually may reduce power. If there are any gains, you would never be able to measure it, let alone feel it.
    These mods are for better sound...
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    X5M E70 and E28 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    MAGNAFLOWS (or any other exhaust system for that matter) do NOT produce more power in this car. The MAGNAFLOWS (as well as others) actually may reduce power. If there are any gains, you would never be able to measure it, let alone feel it.
    He means vs straight pipes all the way back. His friend is likely suggesting his completely lack of backpressure is likely affecting low end torque, which sounds reasonable.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsimis View Post
    He means vs straight pipes all the way back. His friend is likely suggesting his completely lack of backpressure is likely affecting low end torque, which sounds reasonable.
    Bingo

My Cars
    91 850i
    Whatever route you take, it would be best to dyno the car before and after. Also look into burning a custom chip with your your car's individual exhaust setup. Perhaps that way you won't lose HP from modifying your factory exhaust.
    Last edited by mjrgroup; 09-11-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

GimmieSumMo72 is offline That's my BOY!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E60 E31 Past: E38 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    +1

The engine itself needs backpressure to maintain it's compression ratio. Any modification to the exhaust will cause loss of power as proven by my dynos.
    1991 850i diamantschwarz metallic w/ 2 toned black/light silver grey interior: Mods: 20% Tints, OEM Style 37 rims (Winter), 18" BBS RG-R's Diamond Black (Summer), M3 Style Lip Spoiler, Wokke V2.0 Chips, Magnaflow 14833's, Dinan Performance Transmission Chip, CSi front spoiler, 3000k 35w Fogs, 5000k 55w Lows, Custom Randy/Dinan Suspension, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, Goodrich SS Brake Lines

2004 530i schwarz-2: Mods: 20% Tints, Powdercoated Black OEM Style 122's (Winter), LED Fogs & Sidemarkers, Staggared Style 166's, Apexcone 55w 3000k lows, LED 20w Angel Eyes

My Cars
    e31, XJS
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    Whatever route you take, it would be best to dyno the car before and after. Also look into burning a custom chip with your your car's individual exhaust setup. Perhaps that way you won't lose HP from modifying your factory exhaust.
    Would't it have more to do with camshafts?

My Cars
    1995 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post

Also the fuel smell wouldnt be as strong.
    Well, if it is really a fuel smell, I don't know. But if you aren't smelling fuel and are running unleaded gasoline, you really ought to have catalytic converters on the car. Would most likely improve the odor of your exhaust, at the very least.

My Cars
    various
    backpressure requirements are a complete myth

suggest you do more reading here

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

http://www.wheelsjamaicahost.com/whe...pic=846.0;wap2

not trying to start a flame war but hearing anyone saying you need backpressure pretty much gets me worked up since it is so incorrect.

Cars

My Cars
    911 + E31
    I could be wrong but no back pressure felt like my 850 and 840 were a little more sluggish. Noticeable. Not true for my 911. The Porsche responded ecstatically to cat & muffler delete.

Who knows... What I do know is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Im going with the magnaflow cats. You have still some time to give me more info

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Keep the stock cats, Stock resonators, No rear mufflers, Replace rear mufflers with pipe and tips, Sounds awesome and not too loud!

My Cars
    BMW 850
    I dont have the stock ones. Its all gone and was gone when I bought it.

My Cars
    95 840Ci
    What size tube are you using? What kind of Tips? So it's tube, to some kind of Y, then the two tips on each side?

Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    Keep the stock cats, Stock resonators, No rear mufflers, Replace rear mufflers with pipe and tips, Sounds awesome and not too loud!

My Cars
    BMW 850
    I dont remember the size. Will have to measure it. Tips are original . Does it matter what tips I have?

Here is a picture:

Last edited by Fatandre; 09-13-2011 at 05:54 AM.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Quote Originally Posted by IJustDrive View Post
    What size tube are you using? What kind of Tips? So it's tube, to some kind of Y, then the two tips on each side?
    2.75 from the Resonators back to a fabricated Y, 2.5 pipe sounds good too, Got it on another car, Also there is Two 3.5 inch Magnaflow double walled tips, The tips were the only thing expensive, Any duals will do, I just like the look of the double wall tips after seeing Elibeemers. I use aluminized steel pipe from the resonators to the Y Connector.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    2.75 pipe on the 850 and 840. Love it. Tips are 3.75

My Cars
    1995 840ci, 2003 540i M
    Quote Originally Posted by Koizumi View Post
    2.75 pipe on the 850 and 840. Love it. Tips are 3.75
    Hi Koi, love your setup. Did you use 12148 cans and quad 35158 tips? How much did it cost including the custom 2.75" piping and installation?