Thread: Resetting Adaption Valves

My Cars
    2000 528i

Resetting Adaption Valves

Parts Supplier says:

Hella Throttle Body
    Part Number: W0133-1662612
    Notes: w/ Gasket
    Detailed Notes: A faulty throttle adjusts the adaptation values stored in the DME control unit. These adaptation values must be reset after the throttle assembly has been replaced.

How do you do this?

Mike

My Cars
    '02 530i & '09 335d
    Google told me:

With the car off, turn the ignition to the on position for 10 seconds(do not start) then turn the ignition off for 10 seconds. Then start the car. You should notice slightly improved performance if you normally drive miss daisy.
    Last edited by andyffer; 08-30-2011 at 06:14 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    NO GO
    you need GT1 or INPA to do it
    Last edited by champaign777; 08-30-2011 at 07:24 PM.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    no
    you need GT1 or INPA to do it

but don't waste your time, every time you say something to the OP, he found a excuse to not do it what the people here saying to him......

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    My experience is you have to clear the adapts with a good scanner (INPA) and then do the procedure offered by Andy to do the base setting relearn. If you just punch the adaptive reset and then start the car, you won't have any throttle control (scared the hell out of the first time) (and the second time). You have to turn the key on and let the system find it's bearings before starting.

/.randy

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post

but don't waste your time, every time you say something to the OP, he found a excuse to not do it what the people here saying to him......
    haha ya the same guy with failed TB
    i just kind of person who want to help , sorry about this
    Last edited by champaign777; 08-30-2011 at 07:23 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    That procedure found on google is totally worthless and only indicates that whoever came up with it does NOT understand ATC (adaptive transmission control)...and doesn't grasp the BMW tech info about the difference between AGS & EGS adaptation values...and how that AGS adapatations are NOT stored...so they can't be reset. EGS values, though...can be reset and it requires the software/hardware that has been mentioned in this thread.

I didn't write it...BMW did..."driving style" is NOT stored. In other words...the driver influenced adaptations (AGS) that occur start when the engine is first started...and end when the ignition is shut off. Thus allowing for new adaptations for a new driver...which begins when they first get behind the wheel. This is what the "google" author does NOT understand.

(again...AGS {driver & environmental influences} are NOT stored by the TCM but begin anew at every new start up)

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-30-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    haha ya the same guy with failed TB
    i just kind of person who want to help , sorry about this
    me to, I'm that kind of person, but I'm not that kind of person, with people when you try to help, and the only thing that they do, it's the opposite.....

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    E39 99 528iT
    You need BMW software such as INPA to do this. This adaption is to do with manufacturing tolerances for the new throttle body. The old throttle body adaption values have to be cleared from the DME so it can learn the new values.
    From what I can work out when you clear the adaptions it reverts to default values which are then fine tuned to suit the new throttle body as you use the car.
    It has nothing to do with driving style adaptions which are cleared every time the ignition is turned off.

Hope this helps
    RonR

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie528iT View Post
    You need BMW software such as INPA to do this. This adaption is to do with manufacturing tolerances for the new throttle body. The old throttle body adaption values have to be cleared from the DME so it can learn the new values.
    From what I can work out when you clear the adaptions it reverts to default values which are then fine tuned to suit the new throttle body as you use the car.
    It has nothing to do with driving style adaptions which are cleared every time the ignition is turned off.

Hope this helps
    RonR
    Haha! That's what my whole tirade back in post #7 was about.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yah, except we're talking throttle, and you posted transmission. Once you clear the adaption for the throttle, you do have to turn the key on without cranking for 10 seconds or so for the system to learn the base.

/.randy

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Last edited by champaign777; 08-30-2011 at 10:32 PM.

My Cars
    Porsche 930, 2003 540 Sport
    Bringing up an older thread. The last link to spagetticoder is dead - if I'm in the engine sub-menu and clear adaptions using INPA, what is the proper way to re-baseline the DME? One posters says key on 10 seconds then off, other posters say that's not it and provided a link that's no longer found. Thanks

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
    Bringing up an older thread. The last link to spagetticoder is dead - if I'm in the engine sub-menu and clear adaptions using INPA, what is the proper way to re-baseline the DME? One posters says key on 10 seconds then off, other posters say that's not it and provided a link that's no longer found. Thanks
    Are you resetting due to a new throttle body...or tranny work? If throttle body...see info in post #2.