Thread: AgentHubcap's Build Thread

My Cars
    E36

AgentHubcap's Build Thread

It is about time to get things started here. I'll use this thread to track my progress.

Here is my starting point. 1997 M3 Sedan. I've owned it for almost a year now and love it. It just needs some more power.

First things first, I need to figure out what I need from my engine bay and what I can ditch. I think I can take out the whole harness, but I'm not sure. Do I need

Also, anyone know how much the s52 long block weighs (no accessories)?

I'm also searching for a replacement engine and transmission. I really would like a 6.0L (don't care if it is iron or aluminum, really), and I'm leaning towards the Vorshlag kit. Finding a suitable engine that isn't crazy expensive has been an issue so far.

I have the option to go with a 5.3L (and may just do that), but my goal of 400whp may be difficult to obtain from that.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    The vorshlag kit is the best thing going!!

I think the 400hp mark is not hard with an l33 5.3

Looking around again tomorrow for you!

I am glad that you have finally made the plundge!

My Cars
    98' M3,
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post
    It is about time to get things started here. I'll use this thread to track my progress.

Here is my starting point. 1997 M3 Sedan. I've owned it for almost a year now and love it. It just needs some more power.

First things first, I need to figure out what I need from my engine bay and what I can ditch. I think I can take out the whole harness, but I'm not sure. Do I need

Also, anyone know how much the s52 long block weighs (no accessories)?

I'm also searching for a replacement engine and transmission. I really would like a 6.0L (don't care if it is iron or aluminum, really), and I'm leaning towards the Vorshlag kit. Finding a suitable engine that isn't crazy expensive has been an issue so far.

I have the option to go with a 5.3L (and may just do that), but my goal of 400whp may be difficult to obtain from that.

Some people say about 350 dry weight of S52 or closer to 400lb wet. LS2 weighs 450lb (don't know if that's wet or dry).

I too have been scouring the interwebs for a LS2 from a GTO for a nice price. I found all these old threads from 2008 when everyone was selling their LS2's for around $3,000

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Yes - the prices are astronomical right now.... I've been looking for Agent for a few weeks now and the prices are horrible!

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Yes - the prices are astronomical right now.... I've been looking for Agent for a few weeks now and the prices are horrible!
    Best I've been able to find is an LQ4 locally for $850 I don't know what that comes with, though.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    I can give a thumbs up to the LS2. Really like the results in my MCoupe. 400/416 T/HP at the wheels with only a cam and spring change. Easy to setup. I paid 3200 3 yrs ago from Florida. I think it was about 150 to ship to So Cal. The OEM harness has sensors, lights and radiator fan connectors in it you will need. Run two sets of sensors, much easier to feed eash ECU. One for engine and old ECU for gauges. There is a bit of effort to making sure you keep the right lines. Use a stand alone harness for the swapped motor ECU. Makes things very easy.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Jump on it ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Still need to pick up a transmission, accessories, oil pan, intake, wiring harness and ecu. Still think it is a good deal?

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Yes, I do

I can get you a truck harness and ecu that you can strip and do what you need to with it.

Accessories are not bad and the intake is cheap if you stay with an LS1 (not ls6) intake.

Oil pan - buy new unless you find an awesome deal on a used one.

As far as price - to put it into perspective most LQ4s are going for 1k or more my cost with 150k + miles.
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 08-31-2011 at 01:41 PM.

My Cars
    98' M3,
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    I can give a thumbs up to the LS2. Really like the results in my MCoupe. 400/416 T/HP at the wheels with only a cam and spring change. Easy to setup. I paid 3200 3 yrs ago from Florida. I think it was about 150 to ship to So Cal. The OEM harness has sensors, lights and radiator fan connectors in it you will need. Run two sets of sensors, much easier to feed eash ECU. One for engine and old ECU for gauges. There is a bit of effort to making sure you keep the right lines. Use a stand alone harness for the swapped motor ECU. Makes things very easy.
    Mind telling us how you found your engine?

EDIT: Nvm, discovered how to search all of craigslist now must find someone who is willing to ship. Agent: I suggest searching all of craigslist for your stuff. Tons of good deals out there.
    Last edited by E36TitanM3; 08-31-2011 at 02:33 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    I'd say that was a personal sale - and a few years ago when they were in production it was much easier to get one.

I am interested as to why you ran both ECUs...?

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by cfn101788 View Post
    Mind telling us how you found your engine?

EDIT: Nvm, discovered how to search all of craigslist now must find someone who is willing to ship. Agent: I suggest searching all of craigslist for your stuff. Tons of good deals out there.
    Portland craigslist has nothing

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Several years ago a guy I know bought a complete GTO LS2 and T56 for $1500.... He thought he got a good deal when he sold it for $3000....then I told him what they are worth today.
    I think we might get some relief when the Gen V motors come out. I'm dying for details but it looks like there will be a lot more aluminum engines especially 5.3's with a slew of awesome tech. Ultimately the bottle neck is gonna be T56's.....there's not a whole lot of donors out there.

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Awesome, three LSx powered '97 M sedans in the Portland area.

'97 Sedan, Cosmos Meconium, Click ME for the build thread.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Not sure that the suggestion of two ECUs is the best one. Can't see the reasoning for complicating it so much.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    No need for two ECU's. Delete the BMW DME, 100% functionality of all aspects are retained even with the DME removed including instant mpg needle, BMW cruise, EWS-II, etc. Sensors feed the dash directly, not through the DME.
    Last edited by BRAAP; 08-31-2011 at 08:39 PM.

'97 Sedan, Cosmos Meconium, Click ME for the build thread.

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    yeah, double ecu's is just crazy, absolutely unncessary