Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $500 E30 vs $150k Porsches [Video]

My Cars
    E36M3,MZ3,E30,2002ti,MCS

$500 E30 vs $150k Porsches [Video]

Enjoy!
    [ame]http://www.streetfire.net/video/500-bmw-races-150k-porsche-supercars_2300024.htm[/ame]

In order of appearance, a Porsche GT3 RS, Porsche Turbo, GT3, Cayman R, 2 Carrera Cup race cars, 997 GT3, RS America, 997 Turbo, and a 997 Carrera S in the Advanced Run Group at a Porsche Club event at NJMP Thunderbolt Raceway in an $500 E30 BMW 318is 24 Hours of LeMons car on street tires.

-Scott
    ProFormance Coaching - Performance driving and racing coach
    Like ProFormance Coaching on Facebook for updates
    MyTrackSchedule.com - Your key to more track events!
    Track Videos
    1996 BMW M3 Endurance Race Car
    1991 BMW 318is 24 Hours of LeMons car
    1974 BMW 2002tii (sold)
    2001 BMW M Roadster
    2007 Mini Cooper S (sold)

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Nice Driving Scott! Did you get that wheel bearing?
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    none
    nice driving. it looks like you were working that thing pretty hard. Not like a sunday drive thru the park.

waiting for others to come in here and tell you your lemons car isn't a race car.......

It's amazing how well a cheap car will do with a good driver and a decent setup versus a off the rack expensive car.
    coming soon, S54's for everything....

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Let's not start that argument in Scott's thread.
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    535xiT/6
    Oh my goodness. I'm not a car racer but have done a good bit of time with two wheels on the track.

Why are these people in the advanced group anyway?

I wasn't nearly as fast as you and have had only one day in a car on track, but my Audi wagon was getting held up by similar drivers at VIR and it weighed 1000 lbs more.
    At The Oak Tree:
    Last edited by jwestpro; 08-22-2011 at 02:32 PM.

My Cars
    M Coupe
    Nice - bet some of the p-car dudes where embarrassed.

link to youtube (streetfire didn't work for me) [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbakxNMSIDA[/ame]
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    spec e46
    i did a number of laps behind scott at mid ohio earlier this year, he was very consistent in turn 1.

My Cars
    2005 Stg.3 SAAB 9-3
    man you're one helluva driver!

My Cars
    E36 Chump, E46 Off-Road
    Yea Scott always looked like that going through T1 at Mid-Oh. I had an entertaining ride in that red POS (I think that's my helmet in Tower's photo too)

JFrank
    NASA,BMW CCA,THSCC Instructor

My Cars
    SE-R, E36 325is
    That video reinforces how P Car drivers are trained to check their Mirrors at the end of the straight to see how much gap they pulled out through the talent of their wallet and right foot. Because we all know that checking your mirror exiting a corner has shows you nothing about how much faster the following driver really is.
    Sponsors Needed, if interested contact me directly.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    that black Targa was a douche....pointed you by and didn't lift at 9:20

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Train of high dollar Porsches being driven at 7/10ths. Yep... looks like any other advanced PCA event.

Good driving there though. That thing have an open or welded diff?

Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    that black Targa was a douche....pointed you by and didn't lift at 9:20
    That's pretty normal (in some regions HPDE program), and it looked like he was waiting for the inside pass into the next corner under braking.

Although I don't think he fully grasped just how slow an E30 318 is in a straight line so it maybe made for a bit more of a gap than most would like.
    Last edited by Def; 08-22-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e46 D-Mod, e28 euro
    Priceless
    Boondock Motorsport
    powered by faith

My Cars
    rotating frequently
    Quote Originally Posted by 325racer View Post
    That video reinforces how P Car drivers are trained to check their Mirrors at the end of the straight to see how much gap they pulled out through the talent of their wallet and right foot. Because we all know that checking your mirror exiting a corner has shows you nothing about how much faster the following driver really is.
    I instructed for a Schattenbaum event a few years back (great bunch of guys, btw) and I recall the chief at the time, Dan P., saying if one lap goes by and you don't get a point it's on them and we will talk to them if it keeps up. If 2 go without a point and you haven't got by, it's on you. If that is the norm for them ... maybe those guys were waiting for him to be a little more playful before giving up?
    #54 GTS-3/CM E30 Race car
    90 Porsche 964 C2 Daily driver
    05 BMW 325XiT Kid hauler
    04 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
    Perpetual hopeless, unfinished projects

My Cars
    mercedes benz

Thumbs up Re:

Hi sab0276. It is nice video. I like this video. it is also Interesting video.

My Cars
    gonna be there tis thurs?
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1998 328i
    That's some driving for your a@$

Great vid

My Cars
    E36M3,MZ3,E30,2002ti,MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrankE21 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jtower View Post
    i did a number of laps behind scott at mid ohio earlier this year, he was very consistent in turn 1.
    Yea Scott always looked like that going through T1 at Mid-Oh. I had an entertaining ride in that red POS (I think that's my helmet in Tower's photo too)

Funny. I actually have video of that session up too. Basically same thing, except getting held up by Vette's and Z06's this time instead of Porsche's. The end says it all, lol!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8kIzr_owlE[/ame]

p.s. Who was in the passenger in my car that session? I thought it was Jason Franklin, but maybe not if he was in Jason Towers SE30 during that session, lol.

-Scott
    Last edited by sab0276; 08-23-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    Track Videos
    1974 BMW 2002tii (sold)
    2001 BMW M Roadster

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    HAHA! Great Job Scott, brings back memories of flying around MO in your 911... or when we ran Anthony's Z4 out of gas in Turn 1. haha!
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    1976 2002, 1998 328is
    That's fun to watch.

e30 FTW!

d.hitchcock
    Avus 1998 328is, No. 191 STX
    Orientblau 2000 323i Touring
    Malaga 1976 2002

SHAZAM, GOMER, LOOK AHEAD.

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    I run in the advanced group with schattenbaum often and they are usually very good with point bys. If not all you have to do is go up to the person(s) who was holding you up and tell them about.

I was at that event and remember your car(s)... didn't the wheel fall off on day 1 @ turn 4?? I know it pissed a lot of people off when that happened because it basically stopped the session and everyone lost track time because of it. that might be why you had problems getting people to put their hand out the window when you were behind them. just sayin.

Nice driving BTW. I can't wait to try out NJMP in my newly purchased E30!

My Cars
    E36M3,MZ3,E30,2002ti,MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post

I was at that event and remember your car(s)... didn't the wheel fall off on day 1 @ turn 4?? I know it pissed a lot of people off when that happened because it basically stopped the session and everyone lost track time because of it. that might be why you had problems getting people to put their hand out the window when you were behind them. just sayin.

Nice driving BTW. I can't wait to try out NJMP in my newly purchased E30!
    Ah, nope, that wasn't me or my car (I only have 1 LeMons car). I think that was an Acura.
    Luckily we haven't had any mechanical problems other than clutch failure with this car. <knocks on wood />

And yes Schattenbaum is usually very good with point by's and is one of the best PCA regions around. In fact I changed my home region from NNJR PCA to Schattenbaum PCA.

-Scott
    Last edited by sab0276; 08-23-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Track Videos
    1974 BMW 2002tii (sold)
    2001 BMW M Roadster

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    I agree about Schattenbaum. Very good group. I've run with NNJR before and will never again... talk about not giving point bys! I was behind a blue GT2 and another porsche (forget what type) for 3 whole laps and they would not point me by. this was in the advanced group and there were passing flags at almost every station we went by. Finally I got sick of it and hot pitted only to catch up to the same cars in a couple laps.

At the end of the session I went up to the guy(s) and asked in a nice way if he noticed me behind him for 3 laps and/or the passing flags at almost every station and his response was "yeah, I saw you there, but I didn't think you deserved a point by". those were his exact words. So I spoke to one of the event chairs about the issue and I was told "deal with it on the track", which is complete BS. How do I deal with it on the track, by passing without a point by and getting black flagged... I don't think so.

I don't know if it was because I was in the wrong type of car (an EVO at a PCA event) or if it was the region, but I've never had problems getting around cars like I did with NNJR PCA. Never. It made the event very frustrating and because of that I refuse to run with them again. sorry of the OT rant...

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Damn I bet that was frustrating...

My Cars
    E36 325i, E34 535iTm
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post

At the end of the session I went up to the guy(s) and asked in a nice way if he noticed me behind him for 3 laps and/or the passing flags at almost every station and his response was "yeah, I saw you there, but I didn't think you deserved a point by". those were his exact words. So I spoke to one of the event chairs about the issue and I was told "deal with it on the track", which is complete BS. How do I deal with it on the track, by passing without a point by and getting black flagged... I don't think so.
    "I thought you meant I should just punt him out of the way."

-tammer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast