RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Z3 throttle major issue for pros

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD

Z3 throttle major issue for pros

Aloha, friends,

Car is 2000 Z3 "2.3" M52 automatic, 57k miles, well maintained. Car came in with EML, DSC, SES lights, and will not accept any throttle without almost dying. Idle is perfect.

Codes and testing done with GT1/DIS.

Code 72: "Activation, engine throttle, electrical fault", and code A9: "Engine throttle output stage shutoff/throttle valve output stage". Both these codes show as cleared by GT1, but reset immediately during "quick-clear" to exit DIS program.

Tested throttle circuit with GT1, which shows "no fault found in throttle component group". Cleaned assembly, no change. Replaced unit with new factory part at this point, by customer request. No change, new unit resets codes instantly too.

GT1's PROGMAN shows no coding for Z3's, not that I could anyway, without being able to clear the faults.

EGS and ABS/DSC codes reset upon touching throttle, car running, showing CANBUS data fault from DME, no other codes.

Pulled up pin-outs for DME, and tested every power, ground and signal from and to throttle unit while everything was connected. 5 volts in on both dme outputs to TB, grounds good, signals on all 4 signal return wires show .75 volts at closed throttle, and between 4.25 and 4.75 volts at WOT.

This throttle body unit has two TP sensors, and a motor which shows as being solely for cruise control. The unit is cable operated, and cable slackness is correct. The vehicle has no secondary throttle body for the DSC.

The inside of the dme is as clean and pretty as the day it was born, as are all pins and wiring. And the issue is NOT intermittent.

Any pros want to tell me just what the hell I might be missing, here? I've posted this issue at iatn, too, but the pros at this forum are always of much more knowledgable help.

Many thanks, my friends!

Chris
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-21-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Called an M52 an M54. oops/

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    '00 540it, '97 B4 TDI
    Ugh.

I'd unplug the abs control unit for poops & giggles, but it really sounds to me like a failed DME. Let me see if i can find some test programs.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thanks, my learned friend.

Driving me a bit nuts, but at least it's an intriguing problem....

Been thinking about it, and along with disconnecting the abs per your recommendation, I'm going to break out and test the two cruise control motor wires to the throttle body, the only thing I didn't test, there. Maybe one of those is hot when the pedal goes down? Who knows, but it's something I haven't tested yet. (That might just be caused outside of the dme, but not cause a code?)

The SnapOn scanner I used to be constrained to was of course of no help, though it has better software now.

Maybe I can find some live data which leads me the right way, but the older the car's design period, the less the info I can pull up, even on the GT1.

But hey, at least with the help of guys like you, I can verify I'm not missing something obvious.

Many thanks!

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    A little help for me friend!!!

DOUG S FOREIGN CAR SVC
    DOUG S FOREIGN 00001

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's ReferenceComponent Search: Conversion Calculator 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i (E36/7) L6-3.0L (M54)

Vehicle Level Technical Service Bulletins All Technical Service Bulletins Engine Controls - MIL/EML Lamps ON/Multiple DTC's Set Engine Controls - MIL/EML Lamps ON/Multiple DTC's Set SI B12 10 02
    Engine Electrical Systems
    July 2007
    Technical Service
    This Service Information bulletin supersedes Advanced S.I. B12 10 02 dated August 2003.
    SUBJECT
    EDK Throttle Faults - Diagnostic Procedure
    MODEL
    E36/7: Z3 roadster 2.5/3.0; coupe 3.0 with M54
    E46: 325i, 330i with M54 up to 06/2003
    E39: 525i, 530i with M54 up to 06/2003
    E53: X5 3.0 with M54 up to 06/2003
    E85: Z4 with M54 up to 06/2003
    E46: 325i with M56 up to 06/2003
    SITUATION
    The "Check Engine" and EML lights are illuminated; engine may go into fail-safe mode. Some of the following intermittent and "currently not present" EDK related fault codes may be stored in DME fault memory:
    On M54 (MS43) equipped vehicles:
    ^(112) 70 hex - Signal throttle sensor, potentiometer 1
    ^(113) 71 hex - Signal throttle sensor, potentiometer 2
    ^(115) 73 hex - Throttle range adaptation check
    ^(118) 76 hex - Plausibility, signal pot 1
    ^(119) 77 hex - Plausibility, signal pot 2
    ^(135) 87 hex - Limp home adaptation, plausibility
    ^(160) A0 hex - Throttle position controller, plausibility pot 1
    ^(161) A1 hex - Throttle position controller, plausibility pot 2
    On M56 (MS45.1), and M54 with MS45.0/MS45.1 equipped vehicles (Z4 and E46 from 03/03):
    ^28B3 - Throttle adaptation, lower mechanical stop not adapted
    ^2796 - EDK adaptation values incorrect
    ^2734 - Signal throttle sensor, potentiometer 1
    ^2735 - Signal throttle sensor, potentiometer 2
    ^27A5 - EDK new adaptation values required
    CAUSE
    The possible causes may include:
    1.Internal failure (defective crimping) of the EDK throttle motor
    2.Resistance fluctuation at X6390 EDK connector due to pin contamination
    3.Signal interruption at X6390 EDK connector due to faulty crimping or defective female pins
    CORRECTION
    On a customer complaint basis only, follow the diagnostic and repair procedure described below.
    PROCEDURE 1.Connect vehicle to DISPlus and read the fault memory
    2.Remove air filter housing and rubber boot between air flow meter and EDK throttle. For removal instruction refer to RA 13 54 250 found in TIS. Do not remove throttle.
    3.Check the EDK throttle production date printed on the black plastic housing of the throttle.If the manufacturing date is "01-05-02" (1st of May, 2002) or higher, the EDK has the latest level of improvements and should not be replaced. If the production date is prior to "01-05-02", the EDK throttle has to be replaced with the improved part
    4.Replace the engine electrical harness regardless of EDK production date.

PARTS INFORMATION
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
    Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances.
    If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.
    Defect Code 12 51 06 37 00

Disclaimer

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Many thanks, Stanley. I read through that with horror - replacing engine wiring harnesses is never fun, and damned expensive.

But I don't think it applies. This car's an M52, and it doesn't have the codes listed above, and I think the throttle apparatus is different than the vehicles listed. It's a cable throttle on this car, not drive by wire.

Last 7 of the ID# are LM92576, if that helps.

Nonetheless, the issue does sound a lot like a wiring harness problem, although I'm seeing correct values on all the TB wires. The plugs at the TB and the dme were shiny and clean, but I cleaned them anyway. The throttle body unit's been replaced, too, with brand new factory part.

Strangely, when I went into Progman to try coding the new TB, I couldn't find access to any Z3's at all; entering the Z-car section gave me choices only of newer models. I've never used Progman before; when I was at the dealership, they were just initiating the Progman system. The coding/programming button (in DIS) of my GT1 clone is greyed out and inoperative, and I don't know if that's a flaw of the cloned system, which runs under "VM software". Frustrating, damn it!

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Many thanks, Stanley. I read through that with horror - replacing engine wiring harnesses is never fun, and damned expensive.

But I don't think it applies. This car's an M52, and it doesn't have the codes listed above, and I think the throttle apparatus is different than the vehicles listed. It's a cable throttle on this car, not drive by wire.

Last 7 of the ID# are LM92576, if that helps.

Nonetheless, the issue does sound a lot like a wiring harness problem, although I'm seeing correct values on all the TB wires. The plugs at the TB and the dme were shiny and clean, but I cleaned them anyway. The throttle body unit's been replaced, too, with brand new factory part.

Strangely, when I went into Progman to try coding the new TB, I couldn't find access to any Z3's at all; entering the Z-car section gave me choices only of newer models. I've never used Progman before; when I was at the dealership, they were just initiating the Progman system. The coding/programming button (in DIS) of my GT1 clone is greyed out and inoperative, and I don't know if that's a flaw of the cloned system, which runs under "VM software". Frustrating, damn it!
    Sorry about that, your first post said M54!!!

OK try this one

Engine Controls - Motor Driven Throttle Valve (MDK) Group 12
    Engine Electrical
    Bulletin Number
    12 07 99
    Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    February 1999
    Product Engineering
    SUBJECT:
    Motor Driven Throttle Valve (MDK)
    MODEL:
    E39 - 528ViA with M52TU engine produced 9/98 -
    E46 - 323ViA & 328ViA with M52 TU engine produced 6/98 -
    Z3 - Roadster with 2.5L/2.8L engine and Mcoupe with 2.8L engine produced 9/98 -
    Situation:
    Customer complains that the "Check Engine" lamp is illuminated and one or more of the following faults are set in the Engine Control Module (ECM/DME):

Cause:
    The above listed faults may set as a result of the following:
    1. Break/open in the wiring from the DME to the throttle motor (MDK).
    2. Contamination of the actuator or potentiometers within the MDK.
    Procedure:
    If any of the above listed faults are set perform the following:
    1. Using a breakout box check the wiring from the DME to the MDK for open or short to ground.
    2. If the wiring is correct then the MDK should be replaced.
    Parts Information: Part Number Description Qty13 54 1 433 414 Throttle Housing Assembly 1
    Warranty Information:
    Parts and labor will be reimbursable under the terms of the applicable BMW Emissions or New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
    Defect Code: 13 54 91 96 00
    Labor Operation: 13 54 031 - Replacing complete throttle assemblyLabor Allowance: E46 - 11 FRUE39 - 12 FRU
    Z3 - 12 FRU
    OR Associated Work Labor Operation: +13 54533 - Replacing complete throttle assemblyLabor Allowance: E46 - 10 FRUE39 - 10 FRU
    Z3 - 10 FRU
    Note: The following explanations will spell out the correct use of the work times.
    Main Work: Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the listed warranty repair.OR+Associated Work: Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are performed along with the listed warranty repair.
    Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed. Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim processing and payment.
    Last edited by stanley; 08-20-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    For shits and giggles - Does it throw these codes KOEO, AND KOER?? If just while running, try unhooking the alternator. I once saw a TPS issue effected by excessive noise from the voltage regulator.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Wow, sorry about the brain fade on saying M54 the first time through.

And yeah, that's damned near exactly the specs I have (except I've got code 72, the only one missing from the top list, but I believe I found some of the other ones listed first time I pulled codes (written down at work).

But then, I checked wiring/signals/grounds and hots of every wire to the unit with everything connected, ignition on. {We didn't have a break-out box for this six-plug dme, so I was a bad boy and stabbed wires, very gently with a thin needle. I hate to do that, but saw no option)

I did find some variation in the four signal wires, even with the new unit in place, though, which might indicate some resistance in the wiring. However, the variation was also within the realm of stabbed wire connection fault, and all 4 sensor wires read within .05 volts at idle, and .25 volts at WOT, so it's unlikely , I think, that bad connection is at fault.

I've just printed up all twenty something pages of the etms, including DSC and cruise control for further perusal this evening.

I'm wondering, too, if there just might be an involvement by a brake-pedal position sensor, or even the brake switch itself, since there was a brake-pedal plausibility code the first code-reading I took. I discounted this until now, because the behaviour was immediately identical after clearing initial codes and disconnecting the brake switch for testing. The plausibility code has not reappeared, either, so it's probably a long shot.

In my initial readings of the throttle circuitry, I seemed to see that the motor in the TB was just for cruise control, but under further consideration, they must also be triggered by DSC, since there is no other throttle body for that. But yet, the symptom happens before the car even moves, revved in neutral, and the only ABS/DSC fault is bad data from the dme, after trying to rev the engine.

Ugh is right, Goodwagen. This kind of stuff haunts me enough to make it linger on my mind all weekend.

Thanks for the thought, kenndoggy. The codes A9 and 72 reset without even starting the car; in fact, doing a quick clear to exit DIS after individually clearing the codes finds the faults still present, after they've just shown as cleared.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    87 325is
    If I understand correctly, the faults reoccur immediately after being cleared even with new parts in place. And you get a CANBUS fault when trying to talk to the ABS module. Seems to me that combination points to either a bad harness or a bad DME.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Actually, I don't have any issue conversing with the ABS, the ABS sets a CANBUS fault (along with the egs) as soon as I touch the gas pedal, though.

But yeah, I'm really scared of the dme/wiring harness option, because it's such a seemingly shotgun approach, even when you run out of tests to run.

I've been making a list of things to try on Monday, some of which, in retrospect, I'm ashamed at not having tested already:

1) Smoke test. (Usually first test, but codes gave no hint of mixture issues, and idle is perfect)
    (2) Fuel pressure test
    (3) MAF and TPS readings from DIS, with car running .
    (4) Repeat direct TPS voltage/signal/ground tests with engine running.
    (5) Test cruise/throttle body motor wires when throttle is pressed, car running.
    (6) Unplug ABS/DSC and perhaps cruise control, see if issue persists.

By then I'll be begging for a wiring harness and a dme.....

Thanks for your thoughts, Jim! Hope I don't end up there, but it seems quite likely.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    Just try a MDK( throttle motor) almost every time thats the problem.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I have replaced that item, Stanley, the fault remains. (post 1 and 5)

EDIT: I'd just like to be able to show you the difference in the quality of the answers I've received here, as opposed to the iatn responses. You guys are the best!
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-21-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    When the threads get this long, it's easy to miss something. Hell, I've got hands on the car, and am still missing something!

EDIT: Guess there's no use in disconnecting the DSC, studied the diagrams and pin-outs for that, and it has no capability of affecting throttle or engine behaviour, the car has no aux throttle body, so no traction control. I knew that, having dealt with a buddy's Euro-engine-swapped ASCT M3, but I was getting my anagrams scrambled....

Cross that off the list.....
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-21-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    UPDATES AFTER MORE TESTS:

Smoke test: Weirdest leak I ever saw, at the intake cam sensor o-ring, which was previously noted as leaking oil. (There are no cam sensor codes, and vanos shows to be correct, but I've asked for a cam sensor, instead of just an o-ring. Because I'm still hunting a gremlin.)

Fuel pressure is 51 psi (3.5 bar), perfect. No change when revved, but revving isn't a normal procedure, you have to milk it to higher rpm.

Codes: The same A9 and 72, plus the brake light switch defective code which has been occasionally showing up. (New switch here tomorrow, it's Hawaii)

Live data: Interestingly, the shop's SnapOn scanner with good BMW software shows me more live data than the GT1 will.

Intake air and engine temps are correct. O2 sensors are working correctly. Maf reads correctly though different rpms.

Pedal Travel vs. Throttle Angle correspond exactly.

Vanos commanded and actual angles are within a degree. Intake vanos show commanded and actual angles at 112 degrees, though, and I don't think I've ever seen a reading like that ???

Engine RPM at idle is 1000 rpm in neutral/park. That's too high, and no doubt connected to the issue.

Disconnecting Cruise Control's main fuse, clearing codes and starting it changed nothing.

Ditto pulling the main fuse on the ABS.

I have cleared adaptations using both the SnapOn and GT1, and yet (using the SnapOn unit, which gave more data, I see an Adaptation of 18 degrees on both Accel pedal position sensors, and an Adaptation of 24 degrees on both throttle valves. And again, the adaptations remain after clearing adaptations.

But I can't find this data on the GT1, dammit -- probably because I don't know where to look.

Yet, these non-eraseable adaptations are probably the crucial clue, is what I'm afraid of - because that would really point to a bad dme, as Jim says. Also pointing strongly at that is the code A9, which tells me the output stage is shutting off, or being shut off.

So there's some new evidence guys, what do you make of it?

Oh, and stanley or another dealer guy please tell me if it's worth "programming" the dme? I mean, I have progman - but I've never used it, we had the old version when I worked at the dealer, and it's a little intimidating anyway. But is there any remote chance of fixing the adaptation error or other issue with this?

EDIT, OH, EDIT:
    Sh*t.

Did I just tell myself the answer?

As far as I'm aware. the vanos can't change an angle by 112 degrees. Someone tell me I'm right?

If the intake cam sensor's blowing smoke, and it's commanding a 112 degree angle, maybe I've got some damned weird "correction" factor going on for a bad cam sensor that throws no code? Oh, I'm so confused......
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-23-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    N/A
    I see you said you tested both TPS, but did you check the PWG (pedal position sensors)? Also, if you're using a DVOM, I'd suggest using an oscilloscope to take a visual capture of the signal that might show any glitches that a DVOM might miss. After verifying inputs, check your output; capture a current waveform of the MDK and note any abnormalities.

112 degrees of adjustment from VANOS does seem strange. Are you sure it wasn't saying the timing is adjusted to 112 degrees ATDC? Seems a bit retarded (timing), but makes more sense imo. Also, if the camshaft position sensor was faulty, your "actual angle" value would be inaccurate if it had no way of detecting it. I think its safe to say the sensor is okay and it is just an oil leak.

The throttle and pedal position sensor have an adaption function to learn their normal resting position. I believe this is the value that you have that is not going to 0.

Hmm, brake pedal position plausibility? Positive you didn't misread and it was actually accelerator pedal plausibility? I never heard of this, but I wonder if the DME is convinced the brake pedal is applied would it electronically close the throttle. Like you mentioned though, it is a long shot. Are you able to take intake plumbing off and physically see the throttle blade open as a helper depresses accelerator pedal? Would be a good way to see that inputs and outputs are actually processing I suppose.

According to BMW, programming should not be done unless directed to do so by SI B, Puma case or RTE. If you work at an independent, I wouldn't imagine you have those luxuries. Probably worth the try before rolling the dice and replacing the DME, if it gets to that.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    jriv: Many, many thanks. Your thoughts are very obviously those of a BMW pro, quite familiar with the systems in question, and they are highly valued. I'd just like to add that I hope you'll be a frequent visitor to the forum: there are many great pros here who have contributed greatly to my own edification, over time, and I'd love to have your future participation.

Meanwhile:

I don't have a pedal position sensor at the pedal. I have a cable to the throttle body. (The cable does go to correct slack). I have watched the throttle body open, KOEO, and even once, KOER, with maf disconnected. It seems to be responding absolutely correctly-- so much so, in fact, that I was surprised by a recent iatn response that "it's not a cable driven flap". And damn, I thought it was...but there is a motor there, controlled by the dme, and I don't think I've looked at the flap with key off. But the title "MDK" should have given me a clue, I just missed it, dammit.

The one set of wires which I have not tested is the hot for the motor in each direction, because all this time I was ASSUMING the throttle was cable operated, and the motor was only for the damned cruise control. {I like to admit it when I've made a dumb mistake, keeps me from doing it again}

Brake pedal switch plausibility was definitely read correctly, quite a few times at this point, even once before the current issue, then deleted. Switch has been disconnected for duplicate testing once or twice, to make sure. I'll be installing a new switch tomorrow anyway, because it needs to be out of the equation.

Vanos commanded and actual angles were exactly as read, KOER, and duplicate readings have been seen on GT1 and SnapOn w/up to date BMW software. I've never seen angles like that on either scanner, hence my inclusion of that item, which was weird to me.

Stanley has been kind enough to call me, with an update on the SIB, this afternoon, which did not show up on earlier SIB's, and also seconded your thoughts about oscilloscope readings. Thank you, stanley!

One of the iatn responses indicated that the "APP" adaptations should be the same as the throttle position sensors. Both come from the same unit, hmmm.

By the way, Stanley, WTF is up with the fact that your post adds new drawings and pictures every time I look at this thread? I keep rereading the various attachments, and keep seeing new pictures, interspersed? Never mind, doesn't matter at all, just odd.

I really appreciate the time and thought that all the great guys herein have given to this weird issue. I realize it's "only" a customer car, but I get personally attached to things I can't solve.

Tomorrow, I'll install the new brake switch, test the motor voltage, car running, and watch to see whether the flap moves, key off. I'll also clear the adaptations, using the process in the UPDATED SIB, which includes WOT 4 times; this was not in the original SIB I'd read.

As a last resort, I'll try reprogramming the dme before I ask for a new one.

Many thanks, and Aloha, to you all, again!

Chris

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    N/A
    I'm glad I could be helpful, have been lurking these forums for quite some time now and plan to pop up here and there for contributions.

But yes, MDK is electronically driven motor, the cable is actually a linkage for the feedback potentiometers and a fail-safe method in case the motor fails.

I had the chance to look at VANOS values today while connected to an E90 with an N52 engine. The values were ~110.12 degrees commanded, 110.0 degrees actual. We can put that away as known good operation. I'll end up confirming it on another vehicle just to be sure.

I'm looking at documents on the MS42 Engine Management software used in the DME of 2000 Z3 with M52TU engine. According to this, you do have a pedal position sensor, however it is not actually at the pedal. Its integrated into the MDK housing.

I can not say for certainty for an MDK motor, but I know for sure that with an EDK there is an emergency operation that limits engine speed to a maximum of 1300rpm. If there is an implausibility error between the dual throttle sensors, the DME uses the mass air meter as a substitute value and takes the signal that closely resembles this one. If there is still implausibility, DME switches system to emergency operation.

Another instance that would cause this is during the self test when ignition is switched on. The motor is activated to check for mechanical integrity (no binding, proper spring return tension). Monitors current and reaction time of the feedback potentiometers to see that something is wrong.

If there is an implausibility between the dual pedal position sensors, the DME will use the lower of the two values and may cause an unresponsive throttle. These three reasons are pretty much why using an oscilloscope would be a good idea, you might catch a glitch that a voltmeter or scantool was too slow to pick up!

Again, not positive MDK does the same exact thing. Have to educate myself on this. I'm assuming that this is your problem since the code will not go away, and not that the engine is falling on its face on higher engine speeds due to fueling/ignition. I just hope we aren't chasing a ghost here

Best of luck on finding the issue!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Many thanks again, jriv. I spent another few hours on the car today, clearing adaptations per the updated SIB with both the GT1 and SnapOn scanners - to no avail. Symptoms remain. I also tested with the ABS unplugged, then the EGS unplugged, then the iac unplugged, even the damned disa. Replaced the brake switch to get one more variable out of the way, since it occasionally sets a code. No change.

I watched the cable operate the throttle blade with no key off, then with battery disconnected, then even with engine running, and it's operating the blade correctly. The throttle motor wires show only millivolts, no power, no matter the throttle opening. All other signals (4), grounds, and signal power are perfect, at all throttle openings.

I called the oscilloscope whiz over to help me, and all the signals appeared perfect with no glitches.

The fact that the 2recurring codes include "throttle motor output stage shut-down" leaves me with the dme itself as likely culprit, especially since I'm not getting voltage to the motor itself at any time.

Tomorrow I'm going to swap in the dme from a same-year, same engine, same MS42 operating system, E46 323, realign the ews, and see if that works. Wish me luck!

All the best, Chris

EDIT: Oh, I have found the entry to programming, etc in Progman; unlike DIS, which lists the Z3 as a Z-car, E36/7, Progman categorizes it as an E36, not a Z.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-25-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    UPDATE:

Well, it looks like the DME is the culprit. I installed, and introduced the dme from the other vehicle today, using Progman. The dme/ews alignment failed, because it's EWS 3.3. I was going to swap the ews unit from the E46 also, and tape the key into the antenna ring, but this wouldn't work because the antenna rings and ews are wired differently, with the E46's being part of the harness, with no pigtail on the antenna, and no reasonable way to disconnect the ews unit, which was a different part number from the Z3's.

However, with the E46's dme installed, no codes for throttle, abs or egs/canbus were set when the throttle was pushed to the floor, key on. The throttle did a self-test, and all was well there.

So the throttle output stage in the Z3's dme is burned out, it would appear, and the customer needs a new DME, because with ews 3.3, you can't program the dme to a different ews, it's a one-time deal.

I returned the original dme to the car and did the ews "reset", and the car runs again, so we can move it around, at idle, but the codes immediately reset, of course.

I'll give a last update, when the new dme is ordered and installed, but meanwhile I'd like to take this opportunity to give HUGE thanks to Stanley, who's traded many phone calls with me, to help walk me through many stages of this diagnostic. .

Many thanks to all the pros who have given their experience and insight and time here, too. You've helped me narrow down the issue to a definitive answer, without throwing unneeded parts, which is golden to me.

I think the replacement throttle body was worthwhile, too, in retrospect, because I wouldn't want a new dme to burn itself up trying to work the same motor which caused the last dme to burn up an output stage.

Stanley, Goodwagen, Jim Levie, jriv, kenndoggy, take a bow: You're the heroes and guiding lights of mechanics who care!

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Last update, as promised. DME replaced with new. Programmed it, aligned EWS, and the car is just fine now, no issues, no codes.

Many thanks again, my friends!

Chris

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Last update, as promised. DME replaced with new. Programmed it, aligned EWS, and the car is just fine now, no issues, no codes.

Chris

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD

Chris

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2002 M3 Manual
    I am alsp suffering throttle bodyIMG_20200427_212355_139.jpg ah

I have 2000 z3 2.8 m52tu
    If i replace the throttle body do i need tocdo adaptation? Is thst a must?