Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [DIY - Video] Retrofit the E38 Armrest in the E39

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i

[DIY - Video] Retrofit the E38 Armrest in the E39

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V38v-RoEcuQ[/ame]

This is my first video tutorial. Let me know how well I did, because I want to make more. One thing I want to improve upon is getting another camera to do an overhead/bird's eye view. This way I can interchange between them and pick which view would be the best while explaining something.

Anywho, post any comments and/or questions about the retrofit.

Last edited by Xeniczone; 08-11-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Adding Image

My Cars
    90 E30, 00 E39, 01 E46
    cleaver. how long was the process from start to finish? any pics of the completed retrofit arm rest in the car?
    cheers,
    larry

Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    "The fact that you can afford to buy a BMW does not mean that you can afford to own one."

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    Whats it look like installed?
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyking View Post
    cleaver. how long was the process from start to finish? any pics of the completed retrofit arm rest in the car?
    cheers,
    larry
    Clever*

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    It took me 2 hours to do. Though that was trying to figure everything out and running upstairs out the house to test fit it in the car then running downstairs to my room to record everything. I would imagine with the assistance of the video one could do it within an hour. I wouldn't be surprised if one could do it within 30 mins as along as all the tools and parts were available on the spot.

Sorry, I didn't get a finalized picture. I will take one when it is light outside. I forgot to include a whole lot of stuff in this video. For example taking the finalized picture. I also forgot to mention that if you have the phone and plan to use it, it will not work because the wires are in the wrong position and can't be run through the stand.

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ93
    Clever*
    lol. I take compliment either way, spelled wrong or not.

My Cars
    90 E30, 00 E39, 01 E46
    Quote Originally Posted by NYZ93 View Post
    Clever*
    haha... thanks man for the catch... too many long days & nights at work.
    cheers,
    larry

Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    "The fact that you can afford to buy a BMW does not mean that you can afford to own one."

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    What did you end up putting in the center area if you removed the phone?
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    I've added the picture you all have been looking for. Ignore the different colors. I will fix that later.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpina540i View Post
    What did you end up putting in the center area if you removed the phone?
    I keep the phone, but I had to cut the cables off to make it fit. The cables were falling apart anyway. If you watch that video, you see me wiping the desk off at the beginning. What I keep wiping off are the little bits and pieces of the cables from the phone falling apart.

It is alright, I have other plans for that phone anyway. I will give you a hint. It has to do with my iDrive project.
    Last edited by Xeniczone; 08-11-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Grammar was horrible

My Cars
    '98 528i, '98 QX4
    I saw no less than 2 tan e38 armrests in local yards while trying to find my black one.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    ^ I actually remember that you wanted a Black armrest and you could only find a grey one.

See I'm redoing my entire interior, but I wanted the phone for the purpose of my iDrive project, but the only thing I could find at a reasonable price was this whole armrest. My idea was to take the phone out and put it into my original armrest. It didn't fit. With that I decided to retrofit the whole armrest.

I will be covering my entire dash with a new color and that will involve removing the leather off this armrest, but I will also be removing the stitching. That way I will have the template for the new color I will be using.

An idea would be to see if you want to trade. Just remove all the accessories and ship each other the armrests that way I will have a gray and you will have black. I mean I'm going to redo that leather anyway so it doesn't matter which ones I start with. I will be willing to do it for free on one condition that you pay the shipping both ways. PM me if you are interested in that.
    Last edited by Xeniczone; 08-12-2011 at 02:57 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i Sedan
    That was a great video, man. You were clear and easy to follow.

But I think in the beginning of the video you should have a list of "Things you'll Need:"

Other than that, good stuff.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Eljay28 View Post
    That was a great video, man. You were clear and easy to follow.

But I think in the beginning of the video you should have a list of "Things you'll Need:"

Other than that, good stuff.

Hey, Thanks! That is a great idea. I'm looking at doing an update for the video to fix all the things I left out. I won't delete this video just for archive reasons.

Things that I need to add:
    -Add "Thanks you'll need"
    -Add Before and after picture
    -Rerecord the part where my video camera cut out.
    -Mention that the Phone can not be used because the wirings won't go through.

My Cars
    '99 E39 520i

E38 retrofit with slide AND tilt :-)

Great video - thanks. Made me buy an E38 armrest to try fitting into my E39. I'd already swapped my standard 'euro' armrest with tilt function to reveal storage tray underneath to a leather armrest with storage tray down the middle from an M5, but this meant losing the tilt function as the M5 armrest wouldn't mount to the Euro sliding mounting plate. Anyway, my E38 armrest arrived so I had the advantage of having all 3 types of armrest sitting in front of me all with their respective mounting plates:

Original Euro armrest with slide & tilt.
    Newer M5 armrest, with storage tray on top with slide only.
    E38 armrest with slide only but with 2 tiliting sections on top & phone in the middle.

I decided to try to fit the E38 armrest to the original Euro mounting plate so I could have all functions - slide back & forth, lift to reveal storage tray, and also the 2 separate armrest lift to reveal separate storage trays. 6 hours later and the job was done! Much use of my trusty dremel and a bit of invention and it looks like a factory job.
    I'll post a pic tomorrow for anyone that's interested
    Last edited by stevesavalas; 08-28-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Grammar etc.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    ^ Definitely post some pics! I would love to see the E38s armrest that can tilt open. I actually planned to do this to my, or attempt to do it.

You don't have to get the one with the phone, I just used the one with the phone because I thought it looked cool and I plan to rewire it to make it functional again as a bluetooth phone, but that is another project for another day. I have enough on my plate.

My Cars
    '99 E39 520i
    OK so here's a few pics

The E38 armrest came with the phone cradle, but the centre tray that was in my M5 armrest was a direct fit (with a little help from my dremel) which saved me a few £'s as I would have needed to order one from my local dealer

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Looks awesome great job. Your M5 has a great looking interior, I like the shifter and brake boots.

I'm going to try to do the folding armrest, but I'm going to try to do it myself modifying the stock E39 US stand.

My Cars
    '99 E39 520i
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post
    Looks awesome great job. Your M5 has a great looking interior, I like the shifter and brake boots.

I'm going to try to do the folding armrest, but I'm going to try to do it myself modifying the stock E39 US stand.
    Haha, my 'M5' is just a 520... I fitted the M5 interior myself, electric adjustment into a non-electric was a bit tricky but I managed. I also retrofitted the heated seat wiring (OEM retrofit kit), full M-Sport black headlining etc. The handbrake & gearshift leathers were from eBay - not OEM but I liked the M stripes as it goes with the interior...
    You may be better off sourcing a Euro-type baseplate for your armrest - it really wasn't hard to do and it seemed as though it was made to fit really. Although if you already have the E38 armrest mounted to your E39 baseplate (which of course you do) then you may be able to create some sort of tilting mechanism.

My Cars
    98 528i 00 ML430
    This DIY is smart and innovative. I am planning on doing this soon.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesavalas View Post
    Haha, my 'M5' is just a 520... I fitted the M5 interior myself, electric adjustment into a non-electric was a bit tricky but I managed. I also retrofitted the heated seat wiring (OEM retrofit kit), full M-Sport black headlining etc. The handbrake & gearshift leathers were from eBay - not OEM but I liked the M stripes as it goes with the interior...
    You may be better off sourcing a Euro-type baseplate for your armrest - it really wasn't hard to do and it seemed as though it was made to fit really. Although if you already have the E38 armrest mounted to your E39 baseplate (which of course you do) then you may be able to create some sort of tilting mechanism.
    All the work you've done to your car... you're just about as crazy as I am.

I may have to source a euro arm rest for the tilting feature. I'm going to try making one first just to be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by cal45fan View Post
    This DIY is smart and innovative. I am planning on doing this soon.
    Thanks about the DIY. Post pics when you get it done!

My Cars
    528i
    Hi Xeniczone

Your e38 armrest retrofit has made me go out and buy one. I will be attempting to fit it this weekend. The extra storage will also help as my ipod has found itself a home in the storage box underneath the armrest. Will post pics as soon as its done.

If your looking for a tilt version of the armrest im sure there was some on ebay when i last looked

Cheers.

ps loving your idrive adaptation into the e39!!!

My Cars
    01M5,72TA,06LBz,850,540m
    Cool i have the euro armrest in the M5 now. I would definitly do this. What is the PN or what year E38's do they come on?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by dmp 5 View Post
    Hi Xeniczone

Your e38 armrest retrofit has made me go out and buy one. I will be attempting to fit it this weekend. The extra storage will also help as my ipod has found itself a home in the storage box underneath the armrest. Will post pics as soon as its done.

If your looking for a tilt version of the armrest im sure there was some on ebay when i last looked

Cheers.

ps loving your idrive adaptation into the e39!!!
    I must have missed this post. You took my idea of placing the iPod under the armrest this is why I wanted mine to tilt. I wanted to build a iPod dock underneath it.

Keep us informed on your project.

Quote Originally Posted by cer54467 View Post
    Cool i have the euro armrest in the M5 now. I would definitly do this. What is the PN or what year E38's do they come on?
    The E38 armrest is the same for pretty much every year of the E38. Unless there is something specific to what you want. In order to have the tilt function you have to basically do what I did in the video except using the base from a Euro armrest.

My Cars
    528i
    Hi Guys

@ Xeniczone, ive had my ipod underneath the armrest for sometime now, perfect place for it i think, being out the way. Ive had to place the centre speaker on top of the armrest, anyway pics attached as promised, sorry for the crappy phone pics:

After fitting the e38 front armrest into my e39, I thought I would try and fit the rear e38 armrest into my car also, obvious benefit of this is the extra storage compartment, I know the colour is different, but for £15, I cant complain. I will be looking into re-dying or re-leathering it black, not sure which option to go for at the moment. It will require slight modification, will let you guys know when its finished:

Cheers

My Cars
    2001 530i 5spd/2001 M5
    cant you put a x5 armrest in

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Hi Guys

@ Xeniczone, ive had my ipod underneath the armrest for sometime now, perfect place for it i think, being out the way. Ive had to place the centre speaker on top of the armrest, anyway pics attached as promised, sorry for the crappy phone pics:
    O my, That is exactly what I was going to do! I got the idea from the newer BMWs where you would install your iphone into a dock under the armrest.

Great Job!

After fitting the e38 front armrest into my e39, I thought I would try and fit the rear e38 armrest into my car also, obvious benefit of this is the extra storage compartment, I know the colour is different, but for £15, I cant complain. I will be looking into re-dying or re-leathering it black, not sure which option to go for at the moment. It will require slight modification, will let you guys know when its finished:
    That is pretty nice. It looks the same as the one in the E39. What needs modifying? I have a 10" subwoofer in that middle of my rear seat. I'm going to upgrade it to 2x 8" subwoofers in the future so that mod wouldn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by carlova789 View Post
    cant you put a x5 armrest in
    The E53 X5 does look similar, but one thing I noticed is the storage bin is too deep. As far as the actual armrest fitting I don't know. It would probably have to be modified similar to how we modified the E38s armrest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast