Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo oil drain to stock oil pan drain bolt

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3

Turbo oil drain to stock oil pan drain bolt

I am working with TRM to utilize the stock oil drain bolt location for the oil drain of my turbo.

Does anyone currently do this and can recommend the pieces I need? I want to get my car off jackstands and driving again!
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228

Oilpan turbo drain

Admittedly, I'm a "lurker" in the FI section.

Wonder why more of you guys don't adopt the dual pickup S54 pan and pickup assemblies to improve oiling under braking, as well as to provide a very easy point of attachment for the turbo oil drain. The S54 pan has a port built in for easy access.

I dunno, just a thought.

edit: E36 chassis guys only of course!
    Last edited by M3 Euro LTW; 08-05-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    I am working with TRM to utilize the stock oil drain bolt location for the oil drain of my turbo.

Does anyone currently do this and can recommend the pieces I need? I want to get my car off jackstands and driving again!

Im not 100% certain this will work in your case, but if your turbo drain hose is 1/2 inch this might work:

This would replace your drain plug:

http://www.anplumbing.com/Adapters/Metric-25.html

part number: 9919EFG

and this would go to your turbo drain hose:

http://www.anplumbing.com/Hose+Ends/Push+On-32.html

part number: FCM1523

This probably isnt the most ideal way to set it up, but maybe it will work? I know a lot of people have at least a -10an or 5/8inch drain so this wouldnt work in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by M3 Euro LTW View Post
    Admittedly, I'm a "lurker" in the FI section.

Wonder why more of you guys don't adopt the dual pickup S54 pan and pickup assemblies to improve oiling under braking, as well as to provide a very easy point of attachment for the turbo oil drain. The S54 pan has a port built in for easy access.

I dunno, just a thought.

edit: E36 chassis guys only of course!
    yes, but the s54 "drain" port is right next to where the dipstick tube meets the oil pan. For those that are gravity draining their turbos (I think most are) it wouldnt work as they would need a scavenge pump to be able to pump the oil back to the top of the oil pan.
    Last edited by BimmerBoy; 08-05-2011 at 06:15 PM.

My Cars
    Shitbox Suzi
    Use a banjo fitting to get the line up as high as you can.
    Dont need something coming through and knocking it off.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Pick any two, and the third is laughable

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBoy View Post
    Im not 100% certain this will work in your case, but if your turbo drain hose is 1/2 inch this might work:

This would replace your drain plug:

http://www.anplumbing.com/Adapters/Metric-25.html

part number: 9919EFG

and this would go to your turbo drain hose:

http://www.anplumbing.com/Hose+Ends/Push+On-32.html

part number: FCM1523

This probably isnt the most ideal way to set it up, but maybe it will work? I know a lot of people have at least a -10an or 5/8inch drain so this wouldnt work in that situation.
    Thanks for the info!

I've talked to several people about this and it is fine. I'll keep you all posted. Like I said, temporary fix until I can put it higher.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Alex, i remember reading an old thread by "turnerncm3" (or something like that) on here where he listed the parts needed to drain to the stock oil pan hole.
    This is my signature....

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    How do you drain to a hole that is always covered, deep in oil?
    The oil drain hose would act as a sight glass (if transparent), acting as an extension of the oil pan,
    holding the oil at the highest level of the pan (at the time), would it not?
    Last edited by milKt; 08-07-2011 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    The oil drain hose would act as a sight glass (if transparent), acting as an extension of the oil pan,
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but if it was a bad idea, my mechanic here in Louisville and Michael from TRM are just two people I know that have said it will be fine.

I'd definitely would like to hear more of the why it is ok or why it is a horrible idea....

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but if it was a bad idea, my mechanic here in Louisville and Michael from TRM are just two people I know that have said it will be fine.

I'd definitely would like to hear more of the why it is ok or why it is a horrible idea....
    I understand what both of you are saying, but when the oil pan is full of oil is right at the gasket line or just a hair above it, so you are always technically draining to hole covered in oil.
    I guess you would argue it is not as deep which could make a difference.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    I didn't necessarily say it was a bad idea.

It seems functional.
    I suppose we've been trained to drain to a point ABOVE the oil level for years.
    Does it HAVE to go there? no

The return oil can hang out in the hose there for a while before the oil level drops far enough to suck it up.

My Cars
    1993 325i
    the oil level in the hose will be at the same level as in the pan. If your turbo is above the oil level, all is well. The only other problem I can see is if you have too much crankcase pressure, it can drive the oil level up higher in the hose. As with any turbo setup, make sure you have adaquate ventilation and you should be good to go.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Or if your turbo discharges so much and/or so fast into the small tube that the tube fills up before the levels can equalize through the pan drain hole.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Hasn't this been proven to work? I thought there were quite a few guys running the turbo drain to the oil drain plug.

My Cars
    87 swapp e30,boosted e36
    this only really works with a top mount turbo, if you did this to a bottem mount the oil would be getting backed up in the return line and cause the draining oil not to return to the pan properly,
    good solutions for bottem mount guys is drill and tap the pan or just get a fitting welded in your pan or a different one and put it in with a new pan gasket

Jacques Cousteau could never get this low

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    OP, I have a drain plug adapter to AN if you are interested. I already did the work to make it fit into the size restraints of our pan. If you ask nice, I'll even include a length of hose to go to the turbo. It's doing me no good now sitting around.

I didn't necessarily say it was a bad idea.

It seems functional.
    I suppose we've been trained to drain to a point ABOVE the oil level for years.
    Does it HAVE to go there? no

The return oil can hang out in the hose there for a while before the oil level drops far enough to suck it up.

FWIW, all bungs on e36 (and similar) oil pans are below the oil line and are completely submerged in oil.

As long as the drain of the turbo is higher than the oil level, there should be no problems.
    Last edited by mcoupemindy; 08-08-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Any documentation on how HIGH the oil level may rise in the pan during a LONG LEFT turn?

Would the oil have to back up in the turbo for an extended period of time before it would cause damage? How long?

Possibilities....

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Any documentation on how HIGH the oil level may rise in the pan during a LONG LEFT turn?

Would the oil have to back up in the turbo for an extended period of time before it would cause damage? How long?

Possibilities....
    Well, it would depend on the ratio of horizontal v. vertical force. Obviously pan baffles would assist too (reason mine is now baffled).

Theres just too many factors that affect if the turbo would be damaged. The turbo would start smoking before any damage IMO.

Not my videos but....

This is a bung welded on higher than the drain hole, so drain hole would be a lil worse.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ds8PMjNb3M[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkaa7gV35lI[/ame]
    Last edited by Orac; 08-08-2011 at 05:01 PM.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    good video showing the theory behind it
    my guess is on a car with good iddle the oil would drop down alot more
    that thing sounds like absoulute crap :P

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Not seeing the difference. You're saying the higher top mount can use the oil drain while the lower mounted turbo needs to have a bung tapped into the pan?

I was under the impression bottom mounts needed a oil pump to drain the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by mo gun e36 View Post
    this only really works with a top mount turbo, if you did this to a bottem mount the oil would be getting backed up in the return line and cause the draining oil not to return to the pan properly,
    good solutions for bottem mount guys is drill and tap the pan or just get a fitting welded in your pan or a different one and put it in with a new pan gasket
    Last edited by futureroadracer; 08-08-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    Not seeing the difference. You're saying the higher top mount can use the oil drain while the lower mounted turbo needs to have a bung tapped into the pan?

That's a misconception. As long as the turbo center is ABOVE the oil line, there's no reason why you can't gravity drain a bottom mount.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post

The bottom mounts all use the typical oil drain to a tapped bung.....I switched to an external secondary oil scavenge pump because the turbo was so low. I don't think it is necessary if the turbo is high enough.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Yeah, my point was the he stated the higher mounted turbo could use the low drain plug yet the lower mounted turbo had to use a fitting located higher on the pan. His explanation does not make sense.

I'm sure the drain will flow fine as long is it will gravity feed into the pan.
    Last edited by futureroadracer; 08-10-2011 at 07:06 PM.

My Cars
    87 swapp e30,boosted e36
    ima say do what you feel is best..

Jacques Cousteau could never get this low

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I'm going to see how the smoking issue, if there is one, is without the external scavenger pump.

If it is a problem, then I'll go back to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast