Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Incorrect iPod song display on iDrive

My Cars
    2011 Z4 3.5i

Incorrect iPod song display on iDrive

I've had my new 2011 Z4 3.5i for just over a week, and I've noticed an intermittent problem with how the iDrive displays the currently-playing song on my iPod, which is connected via the USB iPod interface.

When it works correctly, the display shows the current artist and album on the upper portion, with the name of the song in the lower portion. Sometimes, the lower portion shows a list of all the songs on my iPod in alphabetic order, and the selected song is not the one that's actually playing. When the next song starts playing, the selection on the list moves down to the next entry, but it's still not the right song.

This seems to happen randomly. When I start the car, it might be showing the correct information, but at some point it might (or might not) switch to the incorrect display. Sometimes the incorrect display appears right away. Once it's wrong, it doesn't switch back to the correct display (at least I haven't seen this yet).

I have the navigation system and premium sound package. My iPod is a few years old -- an iPod classic, 5th generation I think. I have the iPod set to shuffle sounds (on the iPod itself), so it plays back all songs in random order when it's connected. The songs are played in random order as expected, it's just the song display that's wrong.

It's not a big deal, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.

My Cars
    2011 Z4 3.5i
    Just an update on this...

The problem now happens consistently. When I first start the car, the song display is correct, if I wait a minute or two, it switches to the incorrect list, and doesn't switch back. I saw in another forum that someone had a similar problem that was indirectly fixed by a nav system software update, but my dealer didn't find any service bulletins for this particular problem so they won't do a software update under warranty.