Thread: Need help, M62 into a e30. Wiring!!!

Need help, M62 into a e30. Wiring!!!

Got my engine from a 2000 540i 6 speed. It is in my e30 and I need to wire it up. Can anyone help me with it. I have removed the throttle sensor and wiring and located them on the clip going into the ECU.
    Where do I start? what connects the new engine to my e30?
    And the EWS... Do I need to remove the ignition to get it to fire up?

I have all the componets like key and stuff but would like to use only what is required to finish the project. Any help, diagram or photo on where the connections go on this project would be very appreciated and if the info is great and helpful I might be able to compensate who ever can help.

Also i should mention I am not trying to keep anything stock. so If i need a starter button or if I need to have engine separate from e30 electronics then I do what ever works best.
    Last edited by deadjackyl; 07-22-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    Just for ignition purposes, you need to remove EWS completely or incorporate them from the 2000 into the e30, so then the e30 becomes and EWS equipped vehicle. From there, youll mate x20 and other connectors together, get the schematics for both cars including their x20 pinouts. BMW uses standalone engine harnesses so there shouldnt be much modification as far as componants on the engine goes, just gotta make the engine send proper information to the inside of the car and vice versa.

Basic:

Key -> EWS box -> x20 -> DME -> Engine componants unlocked to run

DME -> Wiring -> X20/other main connectors -> Cluster/reverse lights/ETC.

Youll need to check where the DME gets its power and grounds from. You may need to build a new fuse box from scratch, to power your engine, or tap into the proper keyed power, constant power, and grounds to get it to function. You need to do your own homework for YOUR specific cars, down to their packages, as wiring can change as well as colors. Always double check your work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebimma
    Just for ignition purposes, you need to remove EWS completely or incorporate them from the 2000 into the e30, so then the e30 becomes and EWS equipped vehicle. From there, youll mate x20 and other connectors together, get the schematics for both cars including their x20 pinouts. BMW uses standalone engine harnesses so there shouldnt be much modification as far as componants on the engine goes, just gotta make the engine send proper information to the inside of the car and vice versa.

Basic:

Key -> EWS box -> x20 -> DME -> Engine componants unlocked to run

DME -> Wiring -> X20/other main connectors -> Cluster/reverse lights/ETC.

Youll need to check where the DME gets its power and grounds from. You may need to build a new fuse box from scratch, to power your engine, or tap into the proper keyed power, constant power, and grounds to get it to function. You need to do your own homework for YOUR specific cars, down to their packages, as wiring can change as well as colors. Always double check your work as well.
    That's excellent help. So the ews system is the key, ignition and ews box. If I don't wire them in, the engine can work without? From what I'm seeing the install seems very simple. I have all ecu clips in and throttle sensor. All that is left is the power line and ground.
    So if the engine can stand alone I can leave the e30 wiring alone on it's own harness controlling all lights, fuel pump etc. And have the engine start on a separate switch? Or pin connect between the two ecu boxes? Maybe a dumb question but could I just tie the proper wires between the two ecu without using pin connectors? I ask because I don't see a connector on the new engine.
    Hope I made sense.

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    "Hot with key" is in the X20 connector, its what youd use to power the "hot with key" features on the m62. There should already be a wire that connects everything for this feature, otherwise youd have to tie them together.

Youd should have an "x20", might not be the correct number for the connector, for the M62, and youd tie the corresponding connections together

My Cars
    99 540i6
    I'm fairly certain that 1999+ 540i DME's will cut power to coils and injectors if it is not paired with the matching EWS and GM.

Something to check out anyway...

My Cars
    E64 645CI
    Subscribed!

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    ECU can be mapped / flashed to disable EWS....

it's what i will be doing since i lost my EWS module !
    Viktor Agnar Falk Gušmundsson
    -----------------------------

Signature idea, courtesy of 5mall5nails

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    E30 , e38
    Hiya I'm new to the forum and been reading up on the m62 wiring , I'm at the point of my own swap where I have got the ews to unlock but I've got a couple of problems the first being when I crank the motor the start relay is kicking out so it just clicks , I've followed the wires from the starter the black one goes straight to the start relay but the green and black wire splits and one end goes to a white plug with nothing connected and the other goes to nothing ? Second problem is when I bypass the start relay and crank the engine I'm not getting any spark ! Any help would be much appreciated.