Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Filter Replacement

My Cars
    Multiple vintage BMW's...

Thumbs up Cabin Filter Replacement

I realized the other day that I had never changed either the fresh air or recirc filters (2 each - 4 total) since I have owned my car. Since the fresh air filters are easiest to get to, I checked one of them - wow, I don't know how air was getting through it was so dirty.

For those of you who aren't aware, BMW recommends changing these filters every 30k miles (at least the fresh air - not sure about the recirc filters). The two fresh air filters are located on the engine hood underneath on either side. There is one philips screw that holds on hinged covers and inside you will find the filters. Total time to replace - 3 minutes.

The recirc filters are inside under the dash. A great replacement write up can be found here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gsussm...eplacement.htm .

I found the filters at AutopartsWorld.com - these guys are fantastic! The filters are called "ACC Cabin Filters". The cost was $42 for each of the fresh air filters and something like $7 for each of the recirc filters. Part #'s are:

64-31-9-070-072
    64-11-8-391-385

AutopartsWorld can tell you if a part is in stock and if so, they will ship out the same day. I ordered yesterday, opted for next day air (pretty cheap at $15) and they arrived this morning at 8:30 AM. About the best parts service I have ever run across - and cheaper than the stealer, no trip there and back, and no sales tax - what a deal!

I will work on the recirc filters tomorrow. These take a bit more time...

My Cars
    740iL
    I still cannot find my inside Filters. '97 740iL.
    I even pulled the glove box all the way forward.
    Found some cool stuff the previous owner lost and the original window sticker.

The glove box is prone to eject items into the underdash.

$64,800.00
    +Preimum Sound $2.100.00
    +Electric Rear Shade$740.00
    +Heated Front Seats$500.00
    +Destination $570.00
    $68,710.00

The Micro filter under the hood get replaced with the engine Air Filter once a year if it needs it or not.
    I use the Automatic and Recirc all the time.
    I swear I do not know why I seem to get behind smokers.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E39 R56
    Crevier sold me the under hood micro filters for $39 each.
    The local dealer price was more like $60 each!

I did the in cabin filters last summer and they were very dirty. I am pleased that after six months, they still look pretty clean.

AutoPilot, does your car look like this when you open and rock back the glove box?

M.Wong
    E38 2000 740iL Orient Blue
    E91 2012 328xiT Alpine White

Passed on to a new families:
    E30 1987 325i Royal Blue
    E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray
    R56 2010 Mini Cooper S British Racing Green

My Cars
    $39 is a good deal from Crevier. Autopartsworld had free shipping, but I opted to pay for next day air. Like I said, I was pretty impressed.

Great photos, Mark. With these and the link I provided to the other site detailing the replacement, AutoPilot should give it another go to find the filters.
    Last edited by FlyingHigh; 01-16-2004 at 08:36 PM.

My Cars
    1997 740iL & 2001 750iL
    Here is what one of mine looked like when I changed them out last year. New one is on the left, at least 25,000 miles on the one to the right. Scary when you think about breathing through this mess.

~Bob~
    Life is not a Spectator Sport...Live it!

My Cars
    99 Biggie (e38 iL)
    That's exactly what mine looked like!!! That shit was nasty!! Anyway, they are a bit difficult to replace but not that hard at all. The one on the left side (drivers) was more of a pain than the other...

L8r,
    Drink Responsibly, Drive FAST!

Roy C.

My Cars
    '97 740il
    I had significantly reduced airflow in the cabin when on recirculate...I thought something was busted it was so bad. The dumb stealer didn't know what the problem was and finally one tech recommened that the filters be changed.

I changes the recirc. filters myself (according to the instructions) and what a difference...If you haven't changed them recently I HIGHLY recommend it!

Rhett
    '97 740il Arctic Silver
    -3.46 LSD (or 3.45, whatever it is) (VAC motorsports)
    -CAI (Revhigh)
    -Engine software (Autothority)
    -Tranny Software (Dinan)
    -Higher Stall Torque Converter (local boys)
    -Underdrive PS and Water Pump pulleys (VAC Motorsports)
    -Clear fronts, sides and taillights
    -Rondell 58's and fresh paint -FINALLY HERE!

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Originally posted by Roy Cya
    The one on the left side (drivers) was more of a pain than the other...L8r,
    Now there's an UNDERSTATEMENT!!
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    740iL

Cabin Filter

AutoPilot, does your car look like this when you open and rock back the glove box?
    No, I have an electrontic box and where your filter is.
    Mine must be behind it?

I also cannot find the one on the drivers side

My Cars
    740iL Dinan & M3
    I'm going to have to take a look for mine now. Is changing the inside filters something they do during an Inspection II? If so, I should be all set with fresh ones...
    ...on the gas
    Shled
    Charter Member, BMW e38 Real Beef Club

2001 Dinan 740i (stage 3) Supercharger, High Flow Throttle Body, HF Mass Air Meter, Free Flow Intake Manifold, Stage 3 Suspension (matched set performance tuned springs, camber plates, front struts and rear shocks), Stage 2 Front & Rear Big Brake Conversion, Stage 5 Supercharger Engine & Trans Software, Quaife LSD (from M5), HF Cold Air intake, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, e60 M5 bi-xenon HIDs; BMW e46 ///M3 flappy paddle 3-spoke sport wheel: aspheric, electrochromic, power fold mirrors: factory hydraulic trunk: BM53 Radio: BMW TCU: iPhone integration audio, video to AUX w/USB charging: M5 large body diff w/QUAIFE internals: (sig limit reache...

My Cars
    99 Biggie (e38 iL)
    Shled,

I'm pretty sure the Inspection II only covers the Microfilters, which is probably the reason why the recirulation filters are not changed as often, if at all. The dealer would probably want to charge you between 4-6 hours replace them, which is why I think they want it to be a seperate project since this would jack up the cost of the I-II by a few hundred $'s, making it even less desirable...

Just my opinion,
    Drink Responsibly, Drive FAST!

Roy C.

My Cars
    more space pls kthx.
    Now Fields would NEVER do such a thing...

RIP Motorsport Recycling! Long Live //MSR Performance.
    wiseguy@motorsportrecycling.com

My Cars
    '97 740il

Re: Cabin Filter

Originally posted by AutoPilot
    I also cannot find the one on the drivers side
    Follow the instructions posted here http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gsussm...eplacement.htm that FlyingHigh posted in the thread start however...

DO NOT remove all the dash components and trim...I repeat DO NOT remove all that the instructions say to do. If you just remove the lower piece of plastic (just above the pedals) you can reach your hand up there to find the filter, but now you know where to be reaching since the pictures are on that instruction page. Visualize where it will be and then reach up there (while contorting yourself on the driver's side floor).

It's certainly harder than the passenger ide, but not really all that bad... I'm a 6'5" 255 pounder and I was able to bend myself enough to reach it

Rhett
    '97 740il Arctic Silver
    -CAI (Revhigh)
    -Tranny Software (Dinan)

My Cars
    740iL
    Thank you bigrhett, I'll try the drivers side again.
    I read that link some time ago and just could not find it.

I did however find the passenger side filter.
    I removed the under panel to get a look.
    It is behind the what-ever-it-is. [Preimum Sound component?]

It is black as the ace of spades.

I planned to just replace the element, I have plent of that filtering material.

Looking at the link you provided, gsussman had one of those too.
    He said he got his out, I'll give it a try.

Many thanxs
    Last edited by AutoPilot; 01-17-2004 at 11:50 AM.

My Cars
    '97 740il
    Originally posted by AutoPilot
    I planned to just replace the element, I have plent of that filtering material.
    Actually, that's what I did too...bought a big sheet of filtering material with charcoal element) from Home Depot and cut out some rectangles for mine. I would have purchased from the stealer (only like $7) but it was late at night and I wanted to get it done. Now I've got PLENTY of material for future changes... I'm sure I'll lose it long before it needs to be changed again.

Rhett
    '97 740il Arctic Silver
    -CAI (Revhigh)
    -Tranny Software (Dinan)

My Cars
    '97 740il
    BTW, nice ride...looks very familiar (notice my sig)

I'll be getting these put on Tuesday!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '97 740il Arctic Silver
    -CAI (Revhigh)
    -Tranny Software (Dinan)

My Cars
    2000 740i 2008 335i
    So, it sounds like once you get the filters out that they pop apart and you can cut a new filter out and put it back in?
    Woot,woot, woot!
    2008 Maserati Quattroporte Euro delivery 2000 Yugo GTV with 4.4L twin turbo twin intercooled turbine engine. 2005 Huffy picked up in Hawaii. Boeing 777 custom for visiting Lord Wong. Boeing 767 custom for visiting Yugo factory for parts. 1976 BMW 3.0 CSL driven by Hans Stuck. I own the Golden gate bridge district, therefore I own the bridge.

My Cars
    '97 740il
    Originally posted by ibew595
    So, it sounds like once you get the filters out that they pop apart and you can cut a new filter out and put it back in?
    That's exactly right. I think after I popped them apart, I put the old filter element on top of the new material and cut it with scissors...actually, I used a razor for one and scissors for the second....it worked much better with scissors.
    '97 740il Arctic Silver
    -CAI (Revhigh)
    -Tranny Software (Dinan)

My Cars
    Just changed out my passenger side - it was as bad as the fresh air filters. Also found out that there are two of the recirc filters in the bag that I bought from AutopartsWorld. So I have a set for next time... Drivers side contortion act starts tomorrow after the strut bar install with Dave Clement.
    Last edited by FlyingHigh; 01-19-2004 at 11:57 AM.

My Cars
    740iL
    The passenger side was behind an electronic box of some sort and the driver side was easier than I thought.

I removed the panel, got into my Gemini space capsule position and there it was.
    I used a small L shaped [angle] screwdriver to pop off the bottom and it fell down but not out.

I had to really work it to get it out, going between the pedal and the steering column.

I chose to refurbish mine and I will be changing them often.

Thank you for motivating me.

My Cars
    '97 740il
    Way to go! Nice pics. too.

When I was changing mine, I thought about only putting in the charcoal part of the filter (the stuff I got from Home Depot had a particulate filter layer and a charcoal filter layer) The thought was that I don't mind a bit of dust etc... and there shouldn't be much dust inside anyway (that's what the under-hood filters are for) but the recirc filters are for the nasty odors that can get into a car at times....

If I only have the charcoal element, it's much more porous and won't get clogged nearly so easy or quickly, but will still eliminate the odors, but I won't have to replace it as often since it won't get restricted so quickly.

Just a thought...

Rhett
    '97 740il Arctic Silver
    -CAI (Revhigh)
    -Tranny Software (Dinan)

My Cars
    2004 Subaru STI, 2006 BMW 325i
    The link does not work on how to replace this filters. Any other one with pictures?

Thanks

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Guam740il View Post
    The link does not work on how to replace this filters. Any other one with pictures?

Thanks
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/348259

My Cars
    97 740il
    Basically remove the large plastic cover in the footwell and you will easily see the filter especially on the passenger side. Just pry it down with your fingers and snap the new one in.
    On the drivers side take a look at picture plik posted. Again remove the plastic cover and push down the duct type thing with your finger. You will see the filter. If you have very long arms you may be able to reach it. Otherwise retract the back of your drivers seat all the way back. Position yourself with your feet on the footrest and your head near the pedals and you will be able to replace it.

My Cars
    '01 740i
    I just replaced my cabin air filters ($39 for the pair from autohausaz.com) ... I decided to skip the recirculation filters this time around given the stories I've heard about how difficult they are to change. But after seeing that pic posted above, I think I'll be ordering some soon!!

Informative thread ... thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast