Thread: Help troubleshooting INPA install with USB VAG cable

My Cars
    2004 BMW 545i 6MT

Help troubleshooting INPA install with USB VAG cable

I'm trying to connect to my 2004 E60 545i (3/2004 build I believe) and am having issues. I am using a blue USB VAG KKL cable ordered from the UK that has been modified (resistors and transistor) and had been recommended elsewhere on this board.

I installed INPA 5.02/EDIABAS 6.4.7 on a Windows VM following the instructions here -- http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...nwards-t74608/

When I connect the cable, it does detect battery and ignition without a problem. However, any attempts to get to any of the modules results in an IFH-0009 error. I've even tried going to the airbag module first since I heard that's the easiest.

I've already tried what's in the FAQ. Interface is set to USB and not ADS. (I've tried setting it to OBD also). Ignition is on. FIFO buffers are set correctly. OBD.ini is consistent and has been copied to c:\windows.

Here's a caveat -- I'm running INPA in a Windows XP VM on a Linux laptop. Not sure if that should make any difference, but I have no other laptops to try on. If anyone's in the DC area, I'm willing to drive for some help.

Any ideas?

Got a little bit further... Opened up hyperterminal and kicked it in the butt by connecting to the COM port and sending random characters through to make sure its awake. Now I have a different problem, though...

I keep on getting IFH-0010 and IFH-0003 errors randomly, and each time I try to do a simple Identification op, I get different results (different modules show up) or those errors every time. Similar result when i try to read error memory. What would cause this?
    Last edited by reedog117; 06-25-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2004 BMW 545i with Sport Package 6MT (E60) - Olivine Green Metallic
    (sold) 2000 BMW Z3 Coupe (E36/8) - Cosmos Black with Imola Red leather interior
    (sold) 1998 BMW 323i Convertible (E36)