Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INPA with an R56

My Cars
    2009 R56 MCS

INPA with an R56

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get INPA/EDIABAS to work with my R56 Mini Cooper and I just can't get it. I've been able to read certain modules, but I can't get the airbag script to work. I have both of the available versions of INPA/EDIABAS (5.02 and 6.4.7) set up on VMs and have even went as far as to try installing BMW standard tools.

My theory is that the scripts I'm trying to use are outdated, but that's just a theory. I have a laptop dedicated to getting all of this set up, but I haven't been the least bit successful.

Anyone else have an issue like this and think they can help me out?

Thanks!

My Cars
    E46 2001
    What cable/interface are you using?

My Cars
    2007 MINI Cooper S
    Hmm... I haven't tried all the modules on my R56 in INPA, but I assume you use INPA E90X?? I had problem reading some modules but it all boiled down to having NEWER ECU files. I had to downgrade some of the ECU files in the EDIABAS\ECU folder to make those modules work with either INPA or NCSExpert. FRM and DME (the engine module) are two modules I can remember changing.

What I never got working is the Automatic Gearbox Script in INPA as it says my gearbox version is different than the one requested in the script.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6spd
    I'm pretty sure you have to use the K+DCAN type of cable to connect to the R56 and other newer BMW's.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    You can find updated files in the INPA 2010 package located here http://www.4shared.com/folder/hX4ohKra/INPA_2010.html (password to download is INPA).

Just update the files from Step 3 of the installation process or your DIS installation will stop working (as INPA 2010 is based on EDIABAS v7.02). I updated my INPA installation with the INPA 2010 files in a similar manner to upgrading from v3.01 to v 5.02 and can now access the R56 files as per the attached screenshot. INPA Custom.pdf

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    FAO David Mc,this is my Inpa,as you can see,it does not show as yours does.I have updated from step 3,is there something else I need to do to complete update?Many thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Paul, I have written a few custom scripts to modify the INPA Home Page (including some that display Rolls Royce and Mini models on one page as per my screen shot as I was running out of function keys to display all models) but you will find the files for the R56 have been included with INPA 2010. The trick is in not replacing all your existing files - just adding to and updating them. To do this is a bit fiddly, but involves copying all files from EC-APPS/INPA/CFGDAT and manually pasting them into c:/INPA/CFGDAT (only choosing to overwrite older files of the same name and include new files).
    Unless you customise your INPA home page as I have done, you may have to forgo some models that you are unlikely to use and start the scripts manually from inside INPA itself.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    Hi David,could you help please?I am trying to update INPA to 2010,go to step 3,as per your other post,and I do not get a referenz folder to install from,it just installs to C.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Once you have UnRARed INPA 2010 you will find an EDIABAS\Ecu folder with .PRG files to be added to c:\EDIABAS\Ecu and an EC-APPS\INPA folder containing CFGDAT and SGDAT folders with .ENG and .IPO files to be copied into your corresponding c:\INPA\CFGDAT and c:\INPA\SGDAT folders. Be careful when adding files to the CFGDAT folder as unless you are going to update this folder with my customised files, some earlier files will be overwritten.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    When I unrar INPA 2010,this is what I get.5 files step 1,2,and 3,serial port reg.,instructions,and an autoexec.new file.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    If your existing INPA installation is located at c:\INPA, the second option is to rename your existing EDIABAS installation to c:\EDIABAT, then carry out the installation of INPA 2010 from Step 3, allowing the new files to be installed to c:\EC-APPS/INPA and c:\EDIABAS.
    Once the installation has been completed, open c:\EC-APPS/INPA/SGDAT and use the Edit function to select all and copy the contents of the folder. Then open c:\INPA\SGDAT and paste the files into the folder - note that you must open the folder prior to pasting in the copied files or the existing content will simply be replaced/overwritten. This will expand/update your existing .IPO file library. To update your .PRG files, open c:\EDIABAS\Ecu and again use the edit function to select all and copy the files in the folder, which should be pasted into c:\EDIABAT\Ecu after again opening the folder to avoid completely overwriting the content.
    Next, open c:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT and again use the edit function to select and copy files into your c:\INPA\CFGDAT folder in a similar manner to the process described above - be careful with the files in your CFGDAT folder though as unless you are going to manually restore or modify parts of the file later, it is easy to overwrite some of the older files that you may wish to retain.
    Final steps in the process are to delete c:\EC-APPS\INPA and c:\EDIABAS, then rename c:\EDIABAT back to c:\EDIABAS.

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Bumping this old thread instead of creating a new one

David,
    I had a basic install of inpa with no car data...the home screen had no cars to choose from. I ran the step 3 install and now the r56 option now shows up, however when I choose the engine (n11) I get the error:
    Group file : D_MOTOR
    SYS-0012: IDENTIFICATION ERROR
    Program will be stopped!

I'm able to use ncs expert with no issues. Inpa shows battery and ignition accurately. What could be causing this issue?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    What year is your R56?

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    What year is your R56?
    thanks for the reply on such an old thread. It is a 02/2008 r56 non s. I am able to talk to other modules (although I was getting version error pop ups) and clear codes from those. Just couldn't talk to the engine.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Your mini should be a DCAN car, assuming you are using the correct cable, you may need to use EDIABAS v7.*.* to talk to the DME of this car.

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Your mini should be a DCAN car, assuming you are using the correct cable, you may need to use EDIABAS v7.*.* to talk to the DME of this car.
    Ok cool. I'll give that a shot. Yes I'm using a k dcan cable for it. Thanks!

My Cars
    e36
    Updated to ediabas 7.x and now the error has changed. I now get:
    Requested control unit: 'MEV17_2' not found.
    Control unit found: 'MEV17_2N'.
    Program will be stopped.

Weird. I looked online for a mev17_2n.ipo with no luck.

I tried renaming the mev17_2.xxx files to _2n but that didn't work.

I'm guessing EDIABAS 7.x is sufficient enough, but my INPA v5.0.2 is not.
    Last edited by busterhax; 06-02-2014 at 08:11 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I just happen to have MEV17_2.IPO and MEV17_2.ini, email me.

My Cars
    e36

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Ok, I get it, you have MEV17_2.ipo, but you need MEV17_2N.ipo. To avoid having to run multiple instances of EDIABAS and mess about with my laptop and DCAN interface, I have been using a mobile app, BMWhat (available for Android or iPhone) for diagnostics on my E70. The thing works at a speed comparable to INPA, utilises a wireless interface and can even do some coding. A free trial version (BMWhat Lite) is available (the only downside being that you will need a BMWhat wireless interface). I just checked my full version and it also lists the DCAN Mini R56, with options to get the model info from the car, or choose between Cooper W10B16A, Cooper D, Cooper S, John Cooper Works or One models. It correctly identified a dud glow plug on my E70 (which the dealer missed), makes diagnostics super portable and appears 100% accurate (***NOTE THAT THIS APP IS NOT FOR USE WITH NON-DCAN CARS***).
    Last edited by David Mc; 06-03-2014 at 10:19 AM.

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S R56
    Hi everyone,

I have the issue with MED17_2N too, it is the same with MEV17_2N, but for N14 engine.
    Could someone share 2N files here?
    I spend a lot of time to search it, but found nothing.

My Cars
    2008 MINI COOPER D
    Hi guys!
    I need some help here... I used NCS Expert for some time, with success. Also have DIS V57 working (with EDIABAS 6.X).
    Now i'm trying to use INPA for some info and diagnosis.
    I setup a new laptop with BMW standard tools 2.12, (INPA 5.0.6); I can code with NCS Expert; But when i try to use INPA on my 2008 R56, i get some errors:
    "Language variants do not match. Malfunction possible!"
    "Versions do not match! Malfunction possible!"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

My Cars
    e36
    Ncs expert works great. Inpa no good for the ecu. I don't think anyone's gotten it to work.

However bmwhat app for the iPhone did work for the ecu but the ui was all screwed up and the lines were hard I read.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 120i
    Do you still have The UI problem?

My Cars
    2008 MINI COOPER D
    Yes, i still get those errors/warnings. But they're not important. I'm able to do some diagnose.
    The thing is, INPA is to old for my model, so i cannot code ou even do some advanced diagnosis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast