Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e36 M3 1jz build thread

My Cars
    2002 Mustang GT

e36 M3 1jz build thread

This is a direct copy from my thread on a local site.

Quote Originally Posted by 89gt347 View Post
    Well i was originally planning on doing a ls1 swap for into this, but it was going to be extremely expensive for the swap kit, so i decided on a 1jz. Will be stock for awhile, but planning on a big single down the road. I picked the car up not running for 4k, pulled the codes and put a cam sensor in it and it ran great. But these motors cost a ridiculous amount to make power. This is going to be a long term build for the most part, will most likely be done over the course of the summer. Spoke to Kiely about wiring it since he has done this swap for a local kid, he said he would be glad to help.

Started tearing the motor out today to make room for the 1jz.

Radiator/fan/cooling out.

Smog, cruise, traction and throttle stuff out.

while trying to get the ac and all related items out i had a bolt snap on me. fun fun

front end completely off, headers out, exhaust almost gone. alternator also gone

Quote Originally Posted by 89gt347 View Post
    Update:

Got the exhaust completely pulled. Spent about 1 hour fighting with the bolts on the manifold flange. Ended up jacking the car up and justing sliding the whole thing out.

Shane getting his man hands dirty.

Then crawled underneath, and finished the day with unbolting the driveshaft from the tranny. Went rather smoothly.

Oh damn jordan, you look sexy with yo shirt off.

Last edited by M33P; 06-20-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 Mustang GT
    BIG UPDATE!

picked up a engine hoist this morning for $40, managed to fit the whole thing in the trunk my of mustang.

got it home and assembled, started yanking the motor

fought with it for about 2 hours, but finally -

nice empty engine bay

Motor mounts from thailand

driftmotion underdrive pulley kit

ls400 fan clutch

deleted the inline regulator since the 1jz comes with a regulator on the rail

7mgte fan with ls400 fan clutch

motor came in today.

bolted on the new mounts

me and a friend deleted the ac, installed a 2jz waterpump, did the timing belt and the pulleys.

motor is now in the car

wiring is about 60% done, it turned over yesterday and started routing fuel lines.

bye bye bmw harness.

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    cool swap! cant wait to see it completed! Also how much in total do you think this swap cost and on a difficulty level of 1-10 how hard is it?

My Cars
    2002 Mustang GT
    I probably have about 5k into the swap so far not counting a lot of the little things ive sold. Difficulty level id give it a 4. I have a friend whos done this swap before do all the wiring.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    That trans mount usually doesn't work at all, right?

My Cars
    Saab 9-3:Triumph???
    Nice work indeed. Questions?
    1. Why use the Ls400 7m fan combo?
    2. Any fitment problems with any of the mounts?
    3. Do you have more wiring pics or info? That seems to be the main part so far for me.
    4. Are you keeping the twins?

My Cars
    2002 Mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    That trans mount usually doesn't work at all, right?
    mine worked pretty well. it seems they refined it because the guy who is helping me wasnt expecting it to fit either but it did. we were only unable to get 1 bolt into the crossmember.

answers to your questions:
    1. i was told i had to use the ls400 fan clutch to fit the fan - well it doesnt fit so we have to figure something else out.
    2. mounts fit great, motor went in easy as pie. you have to remove the oil filter housing to get 1 bolt for the driver side mount. we did use 2 spacers on the driver side to leve out the motor.
    3. a friend of mine is doing the wiring, he did the wiring on the red m3 with ccws that was on here a while back.
    4. keeping the twins for now. gonna throw in some usdm 2jz 440cc injectors and crank the boost up.

My Cars
    318is-1.5jz-76mm
    440's 2j injectors sound like jdm's. Don't forgot about injector independance.
    built 1.5jz, big fuel+76mm-billet. 9 second dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtVqp3O1RDQ

My Cars
    So the USDM 2jz's had 550's that were low impedance that must use the resistors.
    Be careful with the boost. Army was telling me about his stock twins and small mods that didn't last long. I'm still on the fence whether to keep stock twins or go with single.
    BTW, could you move to a single and still use stock ecu with 440's

My Cars
    318is-1.5jz-76mm
    yes, usdm 550's are low-z. jdm 1j and 2j are high-z wiring. So to use usdm's 550's in our jdm wiring, you'll need the resister box. Driftmotion.com sells it.

440's are jdm drop in's. if thats what op' refers too.
    built 1.5jz, big fuel+76mm-billet. 9 second dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtVqp3O1RDQ

My Cars
    Thanks Army.
    OP what needed to be done for the fuel lines? Do they matchup or mods needed?
    Im gonna hate to see the Saab go, however I can't wait to start this swap.

My Cars
    2002 Mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by redciv1 View Post
    Thanks Army.
    OP what needed to be done for the fuel lines? Do they matchup or mods needed?
    Im gonna hate to see the Saab go, however I can't wait to start this swap.
    fuel lines are extremely easy. delete the inline reg and plumb with rubber line. then run the factory rubber return to the hard returrn off the 1jz regulator.

feed was a little trickier. the 1jz uses a plastic hardline with a rubber sheath on a banjo bolt for the feed. i pulled the rubber sheathing off, cut down the plastic hardline to about 2 inches, then hose clamped the factory feed line over it.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by M33P View Post
    fuel lines are extremely easy. delete the inline reg and plumb with rubber line. then run the factory rubber return to the hard returrn off the 1jz regulator.

feed was a little trickier. the 1jz uses a plastic hardline with a rubber sheath on a banjo bolt for the feed. i pulled the rubber sheathing off, cut down the plastic hardline to about 2 inches, then hose clamped the factory feed line over it.
    Cool. Doesn't sound to complicated. Get the fan issue figured out.

My Cars
    95 1jz m3
    Looking good, I hate that trans mount though. Such a pain when I had to pull the trans to get everything to line back up properly. I'm talking to a few of my guys up here about getting a revised trans mount that'll put everything at the proper hight and line up with all the factory holes. Whatre you doing about a driveshaft? Don't use peters springs in baltimore...

My Cars
    02 M3
    i am picking up a 1993 325is within the next week or two that already had a 1jz into it... so my swap should be easier! i am subscribing to this thread.

My Cars
    2002 Mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by clay@bimmerzone View Post
    Looking good, I hate that trans mount though. Such a pain when I had to pull the trans to get everything to line back up properly. I'm talking to a few of my guys up here about getting a revised trans mount that'll put everything at the proper hight and line up with all the factory holes. Whatre you doing about a driveshaft? Don't use peters springs in baltimore...
    Kiely wants me to try out some shop that did Arman's ls1 240sx so i am going to give them a try.

lower radiator mount done.

final wiring.

was able to snag the correct fan clutch last night thanks to clay@bimmerzone. mucho gracias. Hope to have the front end buttoned up this week.
    Last edited by M33P; 08-30-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36 M3, Mk2 GTI
    Whats wrong with the trans mounts? im about to drop mine in soon after i finish the rebuild, would like to know what to expect before i get there

MODS
    1JZ, BC 264 cams, BC TI Springs and Retainers, Ferra Keepers, Arp Head Studs, Arp Main studs, Arp rod bolts, Custom Emerald Performance Dual Plenum intake, 70 mm TB, SC6169 T3 Turbo, full 3 inch SS exhaust, Ar5 Transmission, 60lb injectors, Walbro 400 fuel pump, GTR intercooler. Porsche Turbo Calipers, Gutted Tein SS coilovers with Koni Race shock inserts , Tein Pillowball Camber Plates, UUC Swaybarbarian bars....needs more mods and a tune!!!!

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    Cool swap, i totally approve of these kind of swaps in these US M3s.. since their motors were never TRUE S-serie....
    Viktor Agnar Falk Gušmundsson
    -----------------------------

Signature idea, courtesy of 5mall5nails

My Cars
    1994 318is Coupe
    THATS SACRILEGE, YOU CANT PUT A TOYOTA INJUN IN A BMW!!!

Looking good brother, made some good progress on the beast, looking forward to updates!!

Only concern i have is the driftmotion bottom pulley, that replaces the harmonic balancer.... im not confident about these things, the harmonic balancers are there for a reason. Id have a good read about them before turning key mate!

Have fun!!

-Dan

My Cars
    2002 Mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    THATS SACRILEGE, YOU CANT PUT A TOYOTA INJUN IN A BMW!!!

Looking good brother, made some good progress on the beast, looking forward to updates!!

Only concern i have is the driftmotion bottom pulley, that replaces the harmonic balancer.... im not confident about these things, the harmonic balancers are there for a reason. Id have a good read about them before turning key mate!

Have fun!!

-Dan
    My partner in this said the same exact thing about the crank pulley. Unfortunately the belt that they send you in the pulley kit WILL NOT fit at all if you dont put the crank pulley on.

My Cars
    1994 318is Coupe
    The belt will not fit because its to suit that underdrive crank pulley, so if you use a standard balancer or standard sized balancer, the standard belt will work.

I believe there is no difference in diameter with the driftmotion alt/wpump/psteer pulleys and standard.

Belts are like $30, i wouldnt make the decision based on that. In saying that, a lot of the aftermarket harmonic balancers are underdriven too, so that belt may be suitable if you went that way.

My Cars
    2002 Mustang GT
    I deleted the AC, stock belt was too long. Didnt feel like shopping for the correct length. But i must say, the motor does not have a SINGLE bit of vibration to it under rpms.

My Cars
    E36 GOODNESSSS
    whos doing your wiring harness ? or did you buy allready done one?
    i got these parts for sale

front corner light for a 4 door E36 $20plus shipping
    headlight eyebrows $20 plud shpping
    M3 OEM radiator $100 plus shipping
    M52 cams with trays high miles $150 shipped
    M3 front calipers $150 plus shipping
    18x8 offsed 35, front 18x10 offset 40 rear bsa motorsports wheels $400 plus shipping
    obd2 valve covers $50 plus shipping
    intake manifolds $50 plus shipping
    estoril blue doors of a 96 M3 2door $200 plus shipping each
    rear glass $50 plus shipping
    rear trunk lid $150 plus shipping

new 1/4 is 800 ft away ))

My Cars
    2002 Mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by biglou911 View Post
    whos doing your wiring harness ? or did you buy allready done one?
    Keily Mackey. He is local, and also a total flakeout.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Doh! You might jump in and get it done! If you sold your harness with your motor I have a few OBDI harnesses with the DLC and X20 still in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast