Thread: options for replacing the digital "clock"?

My Cars
    '88 325i Convertible

options for replacing the digital "clock"?

The digital clock in my stepfather's 2.8 is practically useless. Its nearly impossible to read and has always been one of his "issues" with the car (if that's the worst thing then we're doing pretty well!). Are there any aftermarket upgrades for this little clock? Its a squarish opening in the burl wood trim, so no round gauges would go in there.

Every time I come down to visit I try and address a few things on the car (replacing worn parts, detailing, etc) and sneak a bottle of Techron into the gas tank. Hoping to inherit it one day.

Thanks!

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    Well. You could just buy a replacement clock.
    There are two different kinds, one that only shows the time, and one that can display gas mileage, ambient temperature and a couple other things. The M's have an Analog option, but you should be changing a lot of trim just to get that clock in.

My Cars
    '88 325i Convertible
    At the risk of getting flamed...

What would be a good source for a replacement clock? I would imagine that a more feature rich "clock" (with trip computer, etc) would require additional wiring or sensors?

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    I have options for that clock spot? Enlighten me.

My Cars
    2000 Z3; 1998 528i
    I just bought a whole M console with the extra round gauges for my 2.8L, but I haven't yet wired up the three extra gauges. They just sit there doing nothing at the moment. However, next time I pull my console, I'll hook up the analog clock and the volt meter. I'll need to do more work for the oil temp gauge, but it will also work one day in the future.
    Hello. I like you.

My Cars
    07 lifted LTZ Chevy
    Please correct me if I am wrong but....
    The digital clock in the 97 z is the "computer" display.? I did not know that there was a digital clock offered without being an onboard computer display.
    Press inward on the turn signal and the clock displays: mpg, crusing range (estimated distance with remaining fuel ) outside temp, adv. Speed.
    Skwisgaar GBNF

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3renegade View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong but....
    The digital clock in the 97 z is the "computer" display.? I did not know that there was a digital clock offered without being an onboard computer display.
    Press inward on the turn signal and the clock displays: mpg, crusing range (estimated distance with remaining fuel ) outside temp, adv. Speed.
    Mine doesn't have that. And I want it so much. It will just have two buttons that say H and M for Hour and Minute. And my turn signal doesn't click in. My brother M44 Z3 has it, as well as hos wrecked 318ti, and the other wrecked 318ti my dad bought for parts. I ripped one apart to see how hard the swap would be, and I honestly think that I would have to swap out the entire wiring harness just to get it.

My Cars
    07 lifted LTZ Chevy
    Thanks Panasonic,
    I did not know that.
    Everyday I learn a little bit more about the Z3.
    Skwisgaar GBNF

My Cars
    '88 325i Convertible
    This Z3 just has the clock with the H and M buttons. Can I swap in an OBC model without doing any freaky re-wiring, etc?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by boy412 View Post
    This Z3 just has the clock with the H and M buttons. Can I swap in an OBC model without doing any freaky re-wiring, etc?
    all the wiring is in place to add the OBC in place of the clock but you do have to dig out all the connectors that are taped up in weird places. (but all within reach of the components)

add the temp sensor in the front lower right hand side of the grill.

swap the turn signal stalk assembly for the OBC one

get the OBC coded to the car so the mileage feature is functional (i did not do this as i just really wanted the outside temp )
    Last edited by Racerman27410; 06-02-2011 at 09:47 PM.

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
    all the wiring is in place to add the OBC in place of the clock but you do have to dig out all the connectors that are taped up in weird places. (but all within reach of the components)

add the temp sensor in the front lower right hand side of the grill.

swap the turn signal stalk assembly for the OBC one

get the OBC coded to the car so the mileage feature is functional (i did not do this as i just really wanted the outside temp )

So you've actually done it?
    Care to make a write up? I ripped half of a 318ti apart to try to see if I could do the swap. You make it sound like it's a simple swap.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by panasonic View Post
    So you've actually done it?
    Care to make a write up? I ripped half of a 318ti apart to try to see if I could do the swap. You make it sound like it's a simple swap.

yes i have done the conversion and its not that hard.

i did not get the OBC coded to my car since my local stealer wanted 150 bucks for 10 minutes of computer time and were being dicks about it but all i really wanted was the outside temp anyway. I hand calculate my mileage so that information was not high on my want list.

if you find a OBC that came off a Z3 originally you would not have to have it coded but mine obviously came off a car with a larger fuel tank so the mileage feature is useless.

i actually have an extra turn signal stalk for OBC.... some of the printing has worn off the top but other wise its in good working order. It plugs right in but you have to remove the lower steering cover and lower dash bolster to get to the connector (its a different connector than the stock turn signal stalk and its taped to the harness near the other connector).

finding the connector for the OBC itself was the hardest part as it's taped to the harness behind the seat heater/power top switches.had to hunt around in there behind the dash for a bit to find it as there are several loose connectors in there but there is only one that will fit the OBC

the connector for the temp probe is taped to another harness under the passenger headlamp and its yellow just like the probe.
    the mount for the probe is lower left hand side of the grill as you are facing the car.

just remember the wiring is all within reach of the OBC and probe so that limits the amount of searching required knowing that the wiring really IS there.

My Cars
    '88 325i Convertible
    Aside from the stealership, can anyone suggest a good source for the parts to do this swap?

On a semi-related note, I ran into a weird sensor rattling around in the front bumper (behind the passenger side fog light). I was replacing the fog lamp bulbs and noticed this other connector/sensor that wasn't anchored to anything. It seems like its supposed to fit into a hole in the lower spoiler but I couldn't get it to snap in. Initially I was thinking this might be the ambient temperature sensor but after reading Racerman's last post this clearly isn't it.

Any ideas what this sensor is? Yes...this is a pretty dirty car. I can only do so much with the time I have when I come to visit!

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    That's an outside temperature switch for heated mirrors or windshield washer nozzles.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.8L

My Cars
    '88 325i Convertible
    Thanks JoshS! Now I can sleep soundly tonight.

Does anybody have a part number for the "other" clock/OBC option that was available for this car? My stepfather would really like the ambient air feature. If someone could post part numbers for the OBC and stalk I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers...

My Cars
    '88 325i Convertible
    Doh! I was in the process of posting then saw Racerman's latest post. Thanks! Part numbers would still be appreciated (if handy).

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    If you really want a trip computer: Scangauge or PLX Kiwi. Google it.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Will an e30 analgoe clock fit in its place as they look similar sizes??

My Cars
    '88 325i Convertible
    I had looked at both of those but really am looking for that OEM look. Both of those products look great though. PLX has some really nice "organic LED" gauge solutions.

My Cars
    e36/8
    Ron Stygar did a writup on bimmerfest a while back. Check there

Quote Originally Posted by boy412 View Post
    Aside from the stealership, can anyone suggest a good source for the parts to do this swap?

On a semi-related note, I ran into a weird sensor rattling around in the front bumper (behind the passenger side fog light). I was replacing the fog lamp bulbs and noticed this other connector/sensor that wasn't anchored to anything. It seems like its supposed to fit into a hole in the lower spoiler but I couldn't get it to snap in. Initially I was thinking this might be the ambient temperature sensor but after reading Racerman's last post this clearly isn't it.

Any ideas what this sensor is? Yes...this is a pretty dirty car. I can only do so much with the time I have when I come to visit!