Thread: Power windows not working correctly. Make banging sound

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318ti E36

Unhappy Power windows not working correctly. Make banging sound

Hi guys

I have a problem with by power windows in my 1996 BMW 318ti E36 coupe.
    Both windows are having the same issues.
    Once had problem for awhile and then the other follow suit.
    They seems to try and go up and down but do the following things
    - tilt out of alignment
    - I heard strange snaps and bangs
    - I know that the regulator arms get bent.

I don't use the windows but then I have passengers they do not know better they tend to give them a shot.
    I have read this post http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/...window-problem
    from someone with a similar issues. They mention some adjuster bolts that can be used to adjust everything to fix the issues.
    Seeing as it has happened in both windows so I assume that it is a commonish problem.

I have taken the door apart and had a play.
    Put the arms back into the brushings, straighten the arms and stuff.
    Then as soon as I got to test it bust out the brushing and bends the arm.
    It all seems to move correct but I'm really not sure.

My question
    - What should I be looking for?
    - What should I replace? IE how do I know if the motor is failing or the arms?
    - What is most likely the cause of this problem?

Generally I can move the windows down an inch or 2 without any issues.
    A bit more and it will start to make terrible noises.

Thanks.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Replace the white sliders 51321938884 x 4 for a few dollars from BMW. Ensure you seat them correcly; the arm will touch the circular face of the slider. You will want to assemble the slider with the metal clip in place; and squeeze the ball into the slider with some of these grips. If you can get a screwdriver between the circular white face and the arm, then they are not pushed in far enough and will pop out again.

Do not bend the regulator arms as a first step.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    +1 when you put the regulator arms into the plastic sliders they should go in very hard with a loud pop. After they are in you have to install the clips to keep them held in. If they go into the sliders easy then the sliders need to be replaced. With the age of that car its a good idea to replace them anyway. They are really cheap.

ONce your regulators get bent its pretty hard to get them back to the way then should be. You can get close but you'll have a hard time getting back to the original.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    +1 when you put the regulator arms into the plastic sliders they should go in very hard with a loud pop. After they are in you have to install the clips to keep them held in.
    I disagree with both of these things, sorry dude. The pops and bangs should be ignored. I followed this advice when I did mine and they still popped out. The only test is the screwdriver test. If you can get a screwdriver in between the circular white face and the metal arm then they are not seated fully.

Also the Pelican instructions about this say to leave the metal clips in place during installation, making installation far easier. I found this to be correct also.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318ti E36
    The first thing I did was pop the plastic sliders back in and fastened the clips.
    It all looked pretty solid to me. I wasn't aware of the screw driver test.
    So everything looked back together again but when I when to test it, it all failed in front of my eyes. Not sure what happen it just seem to bend the arm then it popped out the plastic sliders.

The sliders and rails had some gunk in them so I clean the hell out them to encourage a smoother glide. Put it all back together and tested. Same thing happened. The force of the arms broke one of the plastic sliders then the arm came out.

I'm not entirely convince the pushing in the arm to the slides will compensate for the force applied. Seeing as it broke one of the sliders to get out.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible