Thread: I Searched. A lot. DSC / RED Oil Light Flash on Shutoff

My Cars
    01 330Ci, 07 Sky RL

Question I Searched. A lot. DSC / RED Oil Light Flash on Shutoff

Okay here is what is going on:

145k miles
    • OFH Gasket Replaced in last 10k miles
    • VCG Replaced in last 10k miles
    • Been using Mobil 1 0W-40 since ownership back at 114k, but will be switching to OEM on next oil change

However, I am still getting oil consumption with no leaks on the ground / splash shield. After searching I am 95% sure my oil level sensor is shot; however, why would the red oil light and DSC light flash on then off when I shut the car off? Is it just saying the sensor is bad besides the yellow light coming on then off when first turning the car on?

Anyways, my planned repairs are:

BMW OEM Oil changes for now on (cheaper too thanks to dealer hookup)
    CCV repair
    Oil level sensor w/ gasket replacement

Should I be looking at anything else? Thanks for any and all help.

John
    2001 BMW 330Ci 5-speed - BMW Performance SSK, Koni Struts / Shocks, Conti DWS Tires, Lots of Plasti Dip, ZF Steering Rack
    2007 Sky Red Line 5-speed @ 23 psi - Trifecta tune, DDM Extreme Backbone

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Make sure you get the oem sensor, and not the cheapo aftermarket.

Red light and DSC....stumped. Low pressure doesn't mean you necessarily would be losing oil though.

Hey wait...if you are getting the red light....why are you getting the level sensor?

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    01 330Ci, 07 Sky RL
    Well when I start the car, the dash looks fine for about 10 seconds or so then boom, the yellow light illuminates for about 15 seconds, and then stays off for the remainder of the drive. Based on searches, that means the sensor for oil level is bad.
    2001 BMW 330Ci 5-speed - BMW Performance SSK, Koni Struts / Shocks, Conti DWS Tires, Lots of Plasti Dip, ZF Steering Rack

My Cars
    01 330Ci, 07 Sky RL
    Here is what I'm going to do for now:

Oil Level Sensor
    OEM Oil Change
    Oil Pressure Switch

If the same stuff is still going on after all of this I'll do the CCV. At least at this point, the computer will be telling me the correct information (that something is really f'ed up).

If it is STILL going on after the CCV, I'm going to have to turn to the local community for help I think.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobie View Post
    However, I am still getting oil consumption with no leaks on the ground / splash shield.
    Oil consumption is normal. My '01 330xi used about a quart every 2K miles, from 90K miles until the day I traded it in at 145K. Factory spec limit is up to 1 qt per 1200 miles. Be sure your CCV is clean and operable.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobie
    Well when I start the car, the dash looks fine for about 10 seconds or so then boom, the yellow light illuminates for about 15 seconds, and then stays off for the remainder of the drive. Based on searches, that means the sensor for oil level is bad.
    You said red in your OP. Ok...do the level sensor.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr

Oil consumption is normal. My '01 330xi used about a quart every 2K miles, from 90K miles until the day I traded it in at 145K. Factory spec limit is up to 1 qt per 1200 miles. Be sure your CCV is clean and operable.
    Ccv is a great thought...but the dsc thing is pissing me off. Maybe he has more than one problem...

Ccv and bad wheel speed sensor?

My Cars
    01 330Ci, 07 Sky RL
    I'm getting both:

Level sensor shows signs of failing by staying lit for 15 seconds on startup

Red Oil light flashes on Shutdown

The oil pressure switch is only $10 from my dealer, so it is worth a shot. If these sensors don't correct the red light on shutdown I'm going to maybe fold and take it somewhere or ask for help from local owners.