Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: E36 Front PDC

dancerst is offline life is a dance... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL

E36 Front PDC

About 1 month ago I started this project, now it’s all done.
    Also, the same time with me M3C started the same
    don’t know but maybe he shows more than I do...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmW65aV1RT0[/ame]
    Last edited by dancerst; 03-03-2013 at 08:40 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Hey I like it very much. But one thing though. Why use a ASC switch and not a E32/E34 PDC switch? Then it looks 100% original and already has the extra control light inside. I was surprised it's a small normal bulb, I thought it was a micro led like in the window switches.

PDC switch:

Nice job btw.

For the rear PDC, I can't see from the pic, but it looks like the rubber grommet is missing where the loom enters the car's body. This seals it from water and dirt.

Did you use an E32/E34 module for front+rear or an original E36 for rear and a separate module for the front?

I see you have the carphone as well. Why not get the steering wheel buttons that also has the carphone buttons on it? Then you can control the phone completely from the steering wheel too.

When you turn on the ignition, there is another beeping sound. It doesn't look like it's below 3 degrees in that vid, so it's not that cold temperature warning. And when you start the car, the beeping sounds changes frequency....
    Last edited by MParallel; 04-30-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Why use a ASC switch and not a E32/E34 PDC switch?
    Because they are difficult to find ... I’m gonna order one from ebay...

For the rear PDC, I can't see from the pic, but it looks like the rubber grommet is missing where the loom enters the car's body. This seals it from water and dirt.
    No it’s not missing ))
    It was in the trunk that time.

Did you use an E32/E34 module for front+rear or an original E36 for rear and a separate module for the front?
    What you see in the video... it’s a E38 PDC Module for both front and rear sensors. It has yellow connector instead of E36 PDC Module (rear only) with purple connector.

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    I see you have the carphone as well. Why not get the steering wheel buttons that also has the carphone buttons on it? Then you can control the phone completely from the steering wheel too.
    I’m looking for them )

When you turn on the ignition, there is another beeping sound. It doesn't look like it's below 3 degrees in that vid, so it's not that cold temperature warning. And when you start the car, the beeping sounds changes frequency....
    I noticed this too...
    The first sound is the carphone
    second is my seatbelt warning
    and third one is MEMO on OBC

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    ...second is my seatbelt warning
    Oh the seatbelt warning. I do have the control light (I just fitted a bulb behind it) but no sound. I thought it was on US-spec cars only or maybe some other countries have it too.

Or did you fit US-spec tensioners? I looked at mine and I guess they are different as I see no extra connection to trigger a warning.

I do wonder if it would keep beeping all the time if the seatbelt is not fitted or just for a limited amount of time. I guess it went off when you started the car and that was the change in tone.

Yes the PDC switch is hard to find. I just got mine 2 days ago from Germany after looking for months for one on ebay. But the PDC doesn't light up. I guess the bulb is broken. But they would send me a new one. However the PDC lettering was much more white than my other switches, so I even doubted if it should lit up as the letters don't look transparent.

Ha ok an E38 module. I still wonder if the internals are different. The E36 PDC is simply switched on because the +12v from the rear light is fed to the module. But I guess the front one needs a relay or something to be activated because of the PDC momentary switch.
    Which also make me wonder if a E38 module can be used in place of the E36 module and it would still work (for the rear).

Does the front and rear PDC use a different gong? And a different tone for the front and rear ones?

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Oh the seatbelt warning. I do have the control light (I just fitted a bulb behind it) but no sound. I thought it was on US-spec cars only or maybe some other countries have it too.
    I bought my car from US years ago )

I do wonder if it would keep beeping all the time if the seatbelt is not fitted or just for a limited amount of time. I guess it went off when you started the car and that was the change in tone.
    It beeps a few seconds no matter you start a car or not.

Ha ok an E38 module. I still wonder if the internals are different. The E36 PDC is simply switched on because the +12v from the rear light is fed to the module.
    The E36 and E38 PDC modules for REAR ONLY is the same.
    But for front & rear E38 a little bit different inside.

So if you want to put E38 front & rear module you need to add 1 more ground wire, othewise you wont be able to turn on yuor PDC from the reverse light signal.Cause on E38 it uses i-bus to switch rear sensors.

Also you need a second gong... yes, yes, and it’s different, and it’s installed in the trunk. The front pdc uses the OBC gong now.
    And they’re producing different sound.

But I guess the front one needs a relay or something to be activated because of the PDC momentary switch.
    Which also make me wonder if a E38 module can be used in place of the E36 module and it would still work (for the rear).
    The all 8 sensors are activate by the switch or reverse light signal.
    If you interested I’ll send you email with the diagram.
    Last edited by dancerst; 04-30-2011 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    Sweet mod

You know that the iBus enabled PDC module can give you the measurement data from each sensor over the diagnostics bus right? Could make a nice display up
    I wanted to keep system original as much as I can.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    The all 8 sensors are activate by the switch or reverse light signal.
    If you interested I’ll send you email with the diagram.
    Oh I see. I thought rear PDC was turned on by reverse light and front only through the switch, as per OEM. But this means on your car all 8 are alway on at the same time?

I have a complete spare E36 PDC kit. I guess I could install it to work as the front PDC and have it activated by the PDC switch, through a relay because of the momentary design.

For now I must resist taking on new cool mods as I have other mods to do first, which have been on my list for such a long time and have the parts as well. Just need some free time!

Cruise control and lumbar and headlight washers come first.

I'll ask for the diagram when I get to it. Must not be tempted anytime sooner.

I also kinda like Vlakci's front PDC setup. He has used contact reed switches behind the bumper, so from the outside you don't see the sensors sitting. But this install is also nice as at the time. It's also nice to see the sensors in the front.

Some of the E36's on here are almost 5/7 series cars, but in a cooler body model.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Oh I see. I thought rear PDC was turned on by reverse light and front only through the switch, as per OEM. But this means on your car all 8 are alway on at the same time?
    Yes, all 8 sensors are working at the same time, and it’s exactly how it works on E38. So it is OEM.

I have a complete spare E36 PDC kit. I guess I could install it to work as the front PDC and have it activated by the PDC switch, through a relay because of the momentary design.

For now I must resist taking on new cool mods as I have other mods to do first, which have been on my list for such a long time and have the parts as well. Just need some free time!

Cruise control and lumbar and headlight washers come first.

I'll ask for the diagram when I get to it. Must not be tempted anytime sooner.

I also kinda like Vlakci's front PDC setup. He has used contact reed switches behind the bumper, so from the outside you don't see the sensors sitting. But this install is also nice as at the time. It's also nice to see the sensors in the front.

Some of the E36's on here are almost 5/7 series cars, but in a cooler body model.
    For me this mod was the cheapest one.

I change my 3 pins sensors (4 ps.) for 10 2-pins sensors.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Yes, all 8 sensors are working at the same time, and it’s exactly how it works on E38. So it is OEM.

For me this mod was the cheapest one.

I change my 3 pins sensors (4 ps.) for 10 2-pins sensors.
    Us sure? There is no separate button for no reason. Front PDC always works separately through the switch. I'm pretty sure about this. I can ask on the E38 forum I'm also on.

So the 2 pin sensors work on the E38 module?

What exactly is the difference between the 2 and 3 pin sensors?

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Us sure? There is no separate button for no reason. Front PDC always works separately through the switch. I'm pretty sure about this. I can ask on the E38 forum I'm also on.
    You can ask ) but I checked it on friend’s E38. the button is to switch sensors ON when you don’t drive backward.

So the 2 pin sensors work on the E38 module?
    Yes, because I get module made before 03.1998 (2 connectors on it)
    After that date E38 start to use 3pin sensors and different modules (3 small connectors).

What exactly is the difference between the 2 and 3 pin sensors?
    3pin sensors have chips inside, thats why they are so expensive.

My Cars
    e36 318is-sold, e39 530i sport-new car
    Great work something I will look into doing to mine. I have pdc to fit

I like the pdc button

tmaxx445 is offline E38 6 Speed Club Member! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    MParallel, you are my hero once again. I have always wanted a switch to over ride my PDC, as right now it is just triggered by throwing it into reverse but I could never find a convent unseeing place to put a switch. Now if I can just find one for a e34, or e33 for a decent price (under $30USD) I will have a excuse to get a HomeLink autodiming clown nose mirror and remove my alarm indicator in the console and wire it to the clown nose on the mirror to put this switch in its place as I have no more cut outs and want to retain my full length sunglasses holder. Do you have any idea on the pins on the switch? Hopefully I can get one from a junk yard so that I can get the pig tail and connector with it too. I will report my findings later.
    Last edited by shogun; 06-09-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    2001 740i / S62 Swap / 6 Speed Swap / Titanium Silver Metallic / Grey Montana Leather / M Sport / Convenience Pkg / Heated Seats / PDC / MKIV Navigation / DSP / Bluetooth TCU / Dice Mediabridge / Vavona Trim / Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Cat Delete / SAI Delete / Euro Tune / Koni Singles / H&R II Springs / Custom 3.15 25% Limited Slip Diff / Staggered OE M Parallels / 275 & 245 Firehawks / Euro City Lights / Celis Tail Lights / SunTek 70% CXP Tint

2005 M3 Coupe
    / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium Pkg / Cold Weather Pkg / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / MKIV Navigation / Harman Kardon / Bluetooth / Sirius XM / Aux In / Carbon Trim / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / StreamLine Intake / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Exhaust Bypass Valve / P0lar Tune / Koni Yellows / Eibach Springs / Staggered OE CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / Angel Eyes / CF CSL Splitters / SunTek 38% Carbon Tint

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    325iC
    What the heck is pdc?

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderCoverGuy11 View Post
    What the heck is pdc?
    Park Distance Control

My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    What is in your 2nt to last console cutout on the right for? It looks like an AUX in Jack? Which connector on the OBC gong did you use. I would love to hook my PDC into the gong so it does not have the weird beep that sounds nothing like anything BMW would have used?

thanks,
    tmaxx445
    2001 740i / S62 Swap / 6 Speed Swap / Titanium Silver Metallic / Grey Montana Leather / M Sport / Convenience Pkg / Heated Seats / PDC / MKIV Navigation / DSP / Bluetooth TCU / Dice Mediabridge / Vavona Trim / Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Cat Delete / SAI Delete / Euro Tune / Koni Singles / H&R II Springs / Custom 3.15 25% Limited Slip Diff / Staggered OE M Parallels / 275 & 245 Firehawks / Euro City Lights / Celis Tail Lights / SunTek 70% CXP Tint

2005 M3 Coupe
    / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium Pkg / Cold Weather Pkg / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / MKIV Navigation / Harman Kardon / Bluetooth / Sirius XM / Aux In / Carbon Trim / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / StreamLine Intake / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Exhaust Bypass Valve / P0lar Tune / Koni Yellows / Eibach Springs / Staggered OE CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / Angel Eyes / CF CSL Splitters / SunTek 38% Carbon Tint

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx445 View Post
    What is in your 2nt to last console cutout on the right for? It looks like an AUX in Jack?

thanks,
    tmaxx445

Yes, it’s an AUX input (mini jack)

Which connector on the OBC gong did you use. I would love to hook my PDC into the gong so it does not have the weird beep that sounds nothing like anything BMW would have used?

thanks,
    tmaxx445

This one

My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    Thanks for the info, I will have to wire mine into that so that it sounds nicer. Where did you get the RCA mini jack that look recessed or flat.Here is what mine look like .Kinda ugly with it not flush with the panel.
    Last edited by shogun; 06-09-2020 at 08:07 PM.

2005 M3 Coupe

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Where did you get the RCA mini jack that look recessed or flat.

Thanks,
    tmaxx445
    Mine is a hand made thing

read here http://www.e36club.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=181998

My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    Mine is a hand made thing

read here http://www.e36club.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=181998
    Nice, if I get ambitious I might try that sometime over the summer, but I mostly use my A2DP Bluetooth.

tmaxx445
    Last edited by tmaxx445; 05-22-2011 at 02:50 PM.

2005 M3 Coupe

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Nice, if I get ambitious I might try that sometime over the summer, but I mostly use my A2DP Bluetooth.

tmaxx445

I want to replace mine with that
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    OMG, does that fit our cars? If that does I will buy one in a split second. As you can see I don't have a 12v socket anymore and all I need it for is a USB charger. I have been looking at ways to cleanly mount a USB socket somewhere but only found ones that need a 3/4"+ hole. What is that part out of? I have also tried different labels for my aux in but cound not find any good ones. That would solve a lot of my OCD issues if it fits.
    Last edited by shogun; 06-09-2020 at 08:07 PM.

2005 M3 Coupe

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    I’m not sure.... but I guess it should fit.It comes from E90-60-65 F10.... original part number - 61 31 9 189 175№7 on photo
    Last edited by shogun; 06-09-2020 at 08:08 PM.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Wow, there's several of these available, from the E63 thru E90 cars: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=35&hl=1
    Last edited by shogun; 06-09-2020 at 08:09 PM.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast