Thread: Hard shift from 2nd to 3rd with 6MT

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335I

Hard shift from 2nd to 3rd with 6MT

Been driving stick for years now but have only been driving my 2008 335i for about 6k miles. Total the car has 36k.

At first I just figured it was me getting used to the clutch, but by now I should have it.

Any ideas why shifting from 2nd to 3rd is so difficult?

My Cars
    '12 535i
    How fast do you let your foot off the clutch? The MT has a very annoying CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) which releases the Clutch and a constant rate no matter how fast you dump it. This is to prevent the clutch from wear and tear but for a seasoned shifter, can prove annoying. Try rolling your foot off the clutch a little slower than you usually do and see if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrican5547 View Post
    I would def. put her eyes in a jar on a shelf in my room.

My Cars
    09 335 coupe MT
    I thought shifting from 1 to 2 is the hard part , now i have got used to the CDV and everything is smooth.

I agree to the above post, you need to take off the clutch a bit slower.
    13 Audi S4 / 6spd / Glacier White/Black/ supercharged

10 Acura TL/AT/ Palladium metallic/spoiler

sold --09 335 coupe/6 spd/monaco blue /sports/navi/bmw assist/ipod connector/ BMW SSK/ UUC Corsa exhaust/ BMW Performance powerkit V1

My Cars
    '12 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by boss2k
    I thought shifting from 1 to 2 is the hard part , now i have got used to the CDV and everything is smooth.

I agree to the above post, you need to take off the clutch a bit slower.
    I'll never get used to it. Every morning, like clockwork, my daily commute starts with me pulling off my court with my car having a mad seizure. Rest of the day is smooth sailing, but man that first shift
    Last edited by nmonfared; 04-30-2011 at 03:58 PM.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335I
    I would say that I shift pretty fast. It is just hard to believe that I feel like I have to "force" it into gear.

I know the release valve is pretty inexpensive but what is the typical install costs?

My Cars
    2006 325i Sport 4dr, 6MT
    Sometimes I find shifting into first is hard from neutral on my 2006 325i 6MT Sport such as when stopped at a light. Does anyone else have that?

I end up shifting into second from neutral and then into first.
    Last edited by rickshaw; 04-29-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    Rick

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335I
    Same problem. But I keep trying to get it into 1st. I'll have to try going into 2nd and then 1st.

My Cars
    '12 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by rickshaw View Post
    Sometimes I find shifting into first is hard from neutral on my 2006 325i 6MT Sport such as when stopped at a light. Does anyone else have that?

I end up shifting into second from neutral and then into first.
    Can you elaborate? Do you mean the 1st gear just won't take it? Or that you just have to push harder to get it in?

Also, check your manual where it talks about your transmission oil/fluid. If you've never changed it you might not be getting enough lubricant.

My Cars
    '07 335i E92 JB4
    Hey Guys,

Remember also that the clutch has to be depressed only about 3/4 to the floor to shift smoothly. I had been experiencing harder shifts after I bought the car because I was unaware of this feature. I would recommend this if you aren't already doing so and slowing your release down a bit as suggested by Max....