Thread: How do you access the OBD port???

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is, 2004 Acura TSX

Question How do you access the OBD port???

I went to Auto Zone today to plug up their OBD check engine code reader and see what code my car is throwing, however I couldn't find the port to plug it in. Under the dash there is a little cover that says "OBD" on it and I removed that, but I didn't see a port of any kind to plug into.
    Can someone let me know where that is? THanks!!
    <font size="1">1997 328is w/ sport package, 5-speed, Arctic Silver, Black Leather.
    2004 Acura TSX, Arctic Blue Pearl, Black Leather, 5-speed auto.
    Mods and more pics are on my website.

</font>

My Cars
    -
    under hood autozone can't read it tho, they don't have the tool to.
    -Dan | '99 911 C2 | '02 M3 | '91 318i

My Cars
    Originally posted by Fissionx
    under hood autozone can't read it tho, they don't have the tool to.
    Are you sure? Bimmer95 from this board once told me that Auto Zone could do this and that it was accessible from under the dash on the driver's side, I just can't find the port
    <font size="1">1997 328is w/ sport package, 5-speed, Arctic Silver, Black Leather.

</font>

My Cars
    318i

Re: How do you access the OBD port???

Originally posted by VOLSBimmer
    snip... Under the dash there is a little cover that says "OBD" on it and I removed that, but I didn't see a port of any kind to plug into. Can someone let me know where that is? THanks!!
    It is exactly there. The port is not very visible on itself but is up the cavity behind that cover. What Fissionx refers to is that all BMW cars up to around 2000 used a proprietary port in the engine compartment where BMW dealers (and the Pake scan tool) connects to access the error messages and the computer in general. What he might not be aware is that all cars, BMW included, that comply to OBDII standard must have a OBD plug in the car where any standard scan tool can be connected. This is where the emission inspection computer on the places that this inspection is required is connected and all BMW's since 96 have it. A couple of years ago BMW stopped making their proprietary connector (too redundant?) and all the new cars now use only the standard OBD connector.
    Regards,

My Cars
    540iT, GT3
    Under the OBD cover is a plastic cover that you can pull down but not remove completely. I believe the connector is called ISO something and since a few domestics use that type of connector as well, I don't see why Autozone wouldn't have the right connector for their OBD 2 reader.

My Cars
    1996 328i

you've found it

You've found it, just as the others said it's behind the OBD cover under the dash on the drivers side and there is a second cover on the connector that pulls down but has a retainer on it. It is about 1/2" X 1-1/4" in size. I just had my codes read for free from the local parts store and they gave me a print out as well. I am trying to get people to post their personal experiences with hand held code readers and their costs. Two replies so far:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hreadid=162379

My Cars
    Thanks a lot guys!!

</font>

My Cars
    318iC - Black on Tan
    Sorry for this thread revival...

So I'm running in to the exact same problem. I have a check engine light on so I stopped by the local parts store that usually does my code scans for my parent's cars. I popped open that little access door that says OBD on it, but what ever is under there doesn't look the same as the connector on the scanning tool.

Please see attached pictures.

Can anyone tell me what that is under the OBD door? Is that the port? Does it have some sort of cover on it? If so, how am I supposed to open it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLSBimmer View Post
    I went to Auto Zone today to plug up their OBD check engine code reader and see what code my car is throwing, however I couldn't find the port to plug it in. Under the dash there is a little cover that says "OBD" on it and I removed that, but I didn't see a port of any kind to plug into.
    Can someone let me know where that is? THanks!!
    If your CHECK ENGINE light is on (some cars may say, SERVICE ENGINE SOON), then the data port is behind the cover that says OBD on it. Period.

Your car is OBD II compliant, this means in part that the data port will be located in a specific location that is inside the passenger compartment. There are a couple of automakers that put the data port behind the ash tray, and a few that put it near the gas pedal, but none of these are BMW so they don't matter here.

For any practical purpose, the OBD II Data Port is located generally over the clutch pedal -- regardless of whether the car has a manual or automatic transmission. The general area shall be between the steering column and the outboard bulkhead, basically where the clutch pedal would be if there was one. The data port shall not be hidden, unless it is behind a cover that clearly indicates the data port is behind it. Automakers might prefer to not have the port exposed, and they can put a cover over it, but such a cover shall clearly indicate that the data port is behind it. You found the cover, the data port is behind it.

If the data port is not behind it, then somebody in the chain of ownership has relocated it contrary to the OBD II specification. Given the difficulty to move the data port, and the complete absence of benefit in undertaking such a project, I'd not expect it to be gone.

My Cars
    318iC - Black on Tan
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    Remove the cover on the 16 pin OBD2 connector that you can see in the picture. It has AMP written on it.
    Would you happen to know how to remove that cover? I tried pulling on it, but it didn't budge. I don't want to break it so I'm hesitant to go at it with a screw driver.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    There is a slot to put a small screwdriver into to open the cover. You can leave the AMP cover off if you want. I don't know why it is there, I've never seen another car with it on.

My Cars
    318iC - Black on Tan
    Ya, seemed strange. And the guy at the parts store was in a hurry because they had a bunch of customers walk in right when he was on his way out to the parking lot to do my scan so I said I'll figure out how to open it and come back another time.

Thanks for the quick replies, by the way. You guys rock.

So I have another question, in case you guys know the answer too...

My airbag light recently came on as well. I was just driving along and it suddenly illuminated and hasn't gone away since then. Any idea what the hell it means? Why would it have gone off?

My ABS light also comes and goes as it pleases. I suspect a faulty ABS sensor. Just need to figure out which one. Any way to scan that too?

just fyi all obd ports have to be within three feet of under the driverside dash and must be reachable without any tools, so technically you should be able to remove that cover if your car is obd compliant

My Cars
    2001 740i (sport)
    technically the cover is not easily removed. Should I call BMW & demand that they send an engineer to my house & have him remove it for me?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by kcimos View Post
    technically the cover is not easily removed. Should I call BMW & demand that they send an engineer to my house & have him remove it for me?
    The cover is easily removed using your car key

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    My airbag light recently came on as well. I was just driving along and it suddenly illuminated and hasn't gone away since then. Any idea what the hell it means? Why would it have gone off?

My ABS light also comes and goes as it pleases. I suspect a faulty ABS sensor. Just need to figure out which one. Any way to scan that too?
    They can be scanned but you'll need a more comprehensive scanner. My local indie scanned my car via the 20 pin port under the hood to determine my left front speed sensor was tripping my ABS light. Airbag light will need a similar scanner.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    '07 335i
    I bought a GoPoint BT1 OBDII device over Amazon. I got the software from iTunes all for under 100 bucks. It's a blue tooth gizmo that does a ton more than just read codes. I have 2 Land Rover Discovery's (I know, I'm sick). I look after everything from an '03 Monte Carlo, 2000 Boxer, Toy Tundra, etc etc. and the little thing works very well... so long as I keep up the revisions. Gives Recall info, TSB, de-codes etc. Get it Love it!

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrosch View Post
    I bought a GoPoint BT1 OBDII device over Amazon. I got the software from iTunes all for under 100 bucks. It's a blue tooth gizmo that does a ton more than just read codes. I have 2 Land Rover Discovery's (I know, I'm sick). I look after everything from an '03 Monte Carlo, 2000 Boxer, Toy Tundra, etc etc. and the little thing works very well... so long as I keep up the revisions. Gives Recall info, TSB, de-codes etc. Get it Love it!
    I got a $12 bluetooth adapter on eBay and can use Torque on my phone. E36's only put out a few generic codes through the OBD port though and it's rather useless for true diagnostics. Plugging in under the hood gives 10x the information with the right scanner.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I bought PA Soft for less than $30.

My Cars
    1999 323i
    So I have the answer that I was looking for. The obd port becomes loose in the housing and fails to mate with the scanner tool. When I took the car to a local auto parts store the guy must have pushed too hard when attempting to take a reading. Take the plastic access panel off and plug the port terminal directly into the scanner tool. I swore that it was a different plug but I was wrong. The port was just out of reach.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323iC
    There's a cap on the OBD port, after you take off the OBD cover. A normal good-quality scanner (Foxwell) works on my 1998.

For stuff like the airbag and SBS there's weird round ports under the hood and they require proprietary stuff.