Thread: Howto: Reset E30 SRS / Airbag light using Zymexx SIR3 tool

My Cars
    1991 325i

Howto: Reset E30 SRS / Airbag light using Zymexx SIR3 tool

When I bought my 325i the SRS light was blinking - one of several idiot mechanic inflicted problems inherited with the car. I thought resetting it would be pretty easy, but it took me quite a bit of time and effort, as well as some dumb luck trial and error, to get things working. Hopefully this will help others not have to go through the same brain damage.

*** Pseudo-legal disclaimer: This worked for me, it may not work for you. If you follow my instructions and blow up your SIR3 tool, your ECU, your car, your garage, or your house, well, it sucks to be you but I take no responsibility. ***

The only tool I know of that's capable of resetting the airbag light on these older cars is the Zymexx SIR3 tool. Peake won't do it. BF user Shogun sells the tool, and asked me to post my findings to help others. He ships quick and is very reasonably priced.

Basically, the problem is that the E24 and E30 airbag system isn't connected to the main diagnostic port. This is documented in pages 18-19 of this PDF:
    http://www.e38.org/e32/bmw%20code%20defaut.pdf

Great. So first question, where is the connector you need to jump wires into? It's just under the dash. I was able to pull it out just by removing the 3 upper phillips head screws that hold the lower dash cover in place, like so:

As you can see, my blue jumper wire is connected to Pin 2 (white and purple) and my yellow jumper wire is connected to Pin 6 (white and yellow).

So far so good. I connected these wires to the SIR3 tool as described in the Baum Tools PDF above. For convenience, here's the relevant section of the doc, but note that this did NOT work for me:

I connected the tool as shown and probably tried resetting the airbag a dozen times - every time I got the blinking red light after reset that designates a communication error. Just when I was about to give up, I noticed that the green power light stayed on even after I disconnected the +12V wire. That seemed odd, so I tried swapping my red (+12V) and yellow (pin 6 on the SRS connector) wires. The pic below shows my connections:

IT WORKED!

My SRS light went out so I can pass safety inspection and my wife will actually ride in the car. Hopefully this will help someone who was getting as frustrated as I was.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Thanks for posting that Jason. I posted it also on the German E30 Talk as we discussed that problem for some years. Here one answer:

So instead of
    Pin 14 = +12V
    Pin 15 = RxD
    Pin 19 = Ground
    Pin 20 = TxD

I did
    Pin 14 = RxD
    Pin 15 = +12V
    Pin 19 = Ground
    Pin 20 = TxD
    I made the same experience (plus: press the reset button at least 1 minute).
    The SIR3 respect. BOA tool looks like this http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/shogun/BOA.jpg
    Airbag / SRS Light/Service/Oil and annual inspection (the clock sign) Reset Tool - all in 1 tool
    This device is for resetting BMW models built from 1987 - 2003 with a 20 pins plug interface; WITHOUT can bus.

here some more info https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...light-Now-what
    Last edited by shogun; 01-23-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M

For 1993 e30 convertible

Resurrecting old thread to let you know about some changes in the late-run of convertibles and how I got the Zymexx SIR3 to reset my airbag.

First, I had to really dig for my connector to tap into. And it's different. Designated as C280 in my 1993 schematics, and it has 8 wire holders in two rows of four. And the wire colors are somewhat different, so that was a little confusing. But it is really just as the tech bulletin that was issued has for the 1992 convertible. Pin 2 is now pin 7 and is blk/wht on one end and yellow/wht on the other. Pin 6 is wht/violet and isn't connected. In other words, there is no wire opposite it in the connector. This is the one that isn't connected to the diagnostic connector, or the tool would just be plug n play like it is in my 1999 M Roadster.

Thanks Shogun for the tool. It works as advertised. I'm really glad to have that SRS light off and working like it should.
    1987 325is Zinneberot 5spd totally stock multiple show winner
    1992 325iC M-Technic factory appearance package, Diamantschwarz metallic, black nappa leather, black top, Dinan chip, K&N CAI, Remus exhaust
    1997 528i Schwartz II, 5spd stick daily driver
    1999 M Roadster, Dakar Yellow II, Dinan Stage 3, Dinan CAI, Dinan throttle body, Redline driveline, LiquiMoly 5w40 engine, BC Racing BR coilovers, Motion Motorsport under panel, S54 radiator and fan delete, BavSound speakers, Kenwood CD/iPod/aux/Bluetooth
    2001 Z3 3.0i coupe, Sapphire Black, auto (dang), suede headliner, LeatherZ sunroof screen
    2016 228i, Sapphire Black, 6 speed, M Sport Package
    1993 325iC, Schwarz II, custom leather, Bilstein HDs, Ansa sport, Royal Purple engine and driveline SOLD
    1997 318ti Active, Bostongruen, daily driver SOLD

My Cars
    1990 325i
    Happy to hear it worked for you, maybe we could meet up and do the same for my car...
    Last edited by shogun; 01-23-2020 at 09:39 AM.

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Just to comment that the same procedure done with the E30, worked at a E31 - 850iA ( 1990 ) ( exchanging cables 14 and 15 )

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...nfo+srs+module

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    SIR3 tool as well as the BOA is sold out, also the maker does not have any more stock and the qty they ask me for a new production series is by far too much. But here just for info some more hints for the use especially on E30 cars which have no connections to the diagnosis port, just in case you can find a used SIR3 http://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s1...ag-light-reset

I just keep 1 BOA for my own use and friends, that is basically the same as the SIR3, but has additionally a OBDII plug, BOA picture http://de.tinypic.com/usermedia.php?...c#.VFyk72ccSUk
    Last edited by shogun; 12-15-2015 at 12:44 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    friend's 2003 525IT Wag
    Quote Originally Posted by jaserb View Post
    The only tool I know of that's capable of resetting the airbag light on these older cars is the Zymexx SIR3 tool. Peake won't do it. BF user Shogun sells the tool, and asked me to post my findings to help others. He ships quick and is very reasonably priced.

Basically, the problem is that the E24 and E30 airbag system isn't connected to the main diagnostic port. This is documented in pages 18-19 of this PDF:
    http://www.e38.org/e32/bmw%20code%20defaut.pdf
    For the record, some e30 SRS systems are connected to the main diagnostic port. I am working on a friend's 1992 BMW e30 Cabriolet. I can read codes from its SRS light above the rear-view mirror by shorting pins 1 and 6 in the under hood "main diagnostic port" (a.k.a. diagnostic connector). For the detailed steps on reading codes when your e30 SRS unit is connected to the diagnostic connector, see https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=173007 .

I found that my friend's 1992 BMW's airbag needed replacement. I was able to reset the SRS light using the following steps:
    -- Disconnect the battery.
    -- Remove the small cover on the bottom side of the steering column.
    -- Disconnect the orange connector that is underneath the small cover.
    -- Purchase a resistor rated at 3.6 ohms and 1/4watt from a local electronics shop. I think other sizes between 2 ohms and 5 ohms will work as well.
    -- Install the resistor in the connector's female end. This fools the diagnostic module into thinking a working airbag is installed. It clears the fault the diagnostic module was seeing.
    -- Reset the SRS System (and so turn off the SRS light) using https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Special-Tools!!!

After the initial six second lamp test, the SRS light stays off. I am now shopping for a new airbag. Or I may try to take the old one apart (carefully) and see if there is anything obvious that I can fix.

Here's a write-up of my successful troubleshooting effort: https://sites.google.com/site/hondal...roubleshooting . I was able to avoid using any of those expensive "BMW Special Tools."
    Last edited by honda.lioness; 10-28-2017 at 10:10 AM.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    peake readers don't clear e30 codes. there is a key on key off procedure to pull and clear the codes with a jumper wire from pin 1 to pin 6 on the diagnostic port.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Quote Originally Posted by 82eye View Post
    peake readers don't clear e30 codes. there is a key on key off procedure to pull and clear the codes with a jumper wire from pin 1 to pin 6 on the diagnostic port.
    Yes that's what I was referring to, has never worked for me. I've tried, given up, gone back and tried again, given up, repeat, officially given up. Black electrical tape has proven to be great way to 'clear' the codes. The codes I read from the flashing lights are not serious codes and were caused by an un-hook with battery connected so I'm not worried about the integrity of the system.
    Last edited by sienayr; 10-20-2017 at 10:42 AM.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    oh i getcha. have you tried disconnecting the battery and grounding pin 6 ? supposed to work on some 90 - 92 cars, verts with airbags etc. sorry i can't recall if it is key on when grounding the pin when doing this or not.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    i think there is info buried in the posted r3v thread about it. actually got the info from an independent tech shop yrs ago when a friend was trying to clear an srs code on an airbag car. we had to disconnect the battery and let the car sit for a while before attempting it. it sat overnight but i don't think you have to wait that long.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    Yes that's what I was referring to, has never worked for me. I've tried, given up, gone back and tried again, given up, repeat, officially given up. Black electrical tape has proven to be great way to 'clear' the codes. The codes I read from the flashing lights are not serious codes and were caused by an un-hook with battery connected so I'm not worried about the integrity of the system.
    This worked on my 89 535,

demet

My Cars
    88 635csi
    Or just disconnect battery for a few minutes and bammo, done. SRS light is off

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanbum View Post
    Or just disconnect battery for a few minutes and bammo, done. SRS light is off
    That is not true. At least not in all cases.

My Cars
    325i cabrio
    Someone else said to go under the hood and locate the diagnostic connector and connect to pins here. Which is it? I had some work done to the car including a new computer in the glove box and got the car back with the srs light flashing then being solid the whole time while I drive. Would rather not open the dash.