Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SUCCESS: Interface in ADS mode without a real COM port

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d

Exclamation Partial success: Interface in ADS mode over a cheap PCMCIA-serial adapter

I am happy to report that I just got my ADS interface working with a laptop without a real COM port, all through a modification of EDIABAS files.

My setup is
    - HP laptop without a real COM port
    - cheap PCMCIA-SERIAL adapter that creates a virtual COM with wrong parameters (IRQ is not 4 and hw address is not 03F8)
    - ADS interface
    - 1998 BMW E38 (works in both ADS and OBD modes)
    - 1993 BMW E36 (cannot work in OBD mode, only ADS)

I have yet to try the same approach with a USB-Serial interface.

I will post details as soon as I confirm that the method works on other laptops.

EDIT: no luck with USB adapters, PCMCIA works, update here http://blog.jaroslavklima.com/2011/0...th-pcmcia.html
    Last edited by jarda; 11-05-2011 at 06:59 AM.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    cool!

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    If you post the steps you performed, I can attempt to replicate and connect to an E36 with my ADS interface and post the results.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    sweet as! im very interested to see this!

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    sweet as! im very interested to see this!
    Me too!!

My Cars
    x3 2L 177hp diesel
    Randomy, I am a little bit OT, new on this forum but quite smart and confident with palyng with these toys I set up two pc and just using diaghead emulator everything works fine. I am waiting to get my actual interfaces. I bought three pieces form china, two com port and one usb port.
    Now just a question to have my ideas clear.
    Is there any actual adavntage in using an IBM t30 fort installing this stuff like DIS? when yes...why?
    Thanks

My Cars
    x3 2L 177hp diesel
    Non one reply thank you very much for your kind ccoperation....

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Vince, IBM T30 is usually used for a native install using a yellow head. There is no advantage in using a T30 for a vmware installation of DIS, other than the fact that they have a genuine serial port.

My Cars
    x3 2L 177hp diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Vince, IBM T30 is usually used for a native install using a yellow head. There is no advantage in using a T30 for a vmware installation of DIS, other than the fact that they have a genuine serial port.
    Thank you very much!

OT: I loved my experiencein Australia, I spent 3 months for business down there..and it is fantastic....I really miss Australia

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    So I have bad news (and some good news..)

I finally got a chance to test my tweak with a USB-Serial interface and it does not work.

The good news is that I have been successful with a different car, laptop and PCMCIA adapter.

The problem with the ADS interface is that its driver writes stuff to a certain hardware address directly. This is the address of the real COM1 port. Fake ports don't have the same address.

What I did was patch the ADS driver to target a different address. This works with a PCMCIA-Serial adapter, but not a USB-Serial adapter. It is because the PCMCIA serial port has its own hardware address, but USB devices don't.

I have made a program that allows you to input a new COM number and hardware address and then patches the ADS driver. I will post it here (probably in a couple of hours), I think it might be useful to some even if it does nothing for the USB adapters..

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    I posted the tool on my blog.
    http://blog.jaroslavklima.com/2011/0...th-pcmcia.html

If you have a PCMCIA adapter and an ADS interface, please tell me if it works for you.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    i have ordered an ADS interface and also will buy a PCMCIA adapter for my notebook

anyone got any updates?

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by jarda View Post
    What I did was patch the ADS driver to target a different address. This works with a PCMCIA-Serial adapter, but not a USB-Serial adapter. It is because the PCMCIA serial port has its own hardware address, but USB devices don't.

I have made a program that allows you to input a new COM number and hardware address and then patches the ADS driver. I will post it here (probably in a couple of hours), I think it might be useful to some even if it does nothing for the USB adapters..
    Perhaps if it can be patched to an address in ram then a utility could be written to relay ads commands to an arbitrary serial port. As far as I can see the only funky stuff it does in ads mode is toggle the tx pin directly to achieve insanely slow baud rates like 5bps. These cases could be ignored if not handled. Only the oldest of modules need initializations that slow. My windowsfu isn't good enough to approach this, but maybe someone can look in to it.

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    Quote Originally Posted by betaruce View Post
    i have ordered an ADS interface and also will buy a PCMCIA adapter for my notebook

anyone got any updates?
    So far it seems that the patched driver works with all PCMCIA adapters. INPA works flawlessly, tool32 seems to work also, but NCS expert does not (I haven't tried to fix it yet).

My Cars
    '97 Cosmos M3 Coupe
    I'll give this a try and report back. Sounds like a great idea so far. Good work!

My Cars
    93 e30 327i / 95 e34 540
    another way are modern thinkpads with a port replicator (docking station), works as well.. (tested on a x61)

My Cars
    Wasp & Duc
    I have a person that I've helped install DIS to use on a 1997 Z3. I couldn't get it to read anything but the ECU so I suspected his car was on ADS. The interface he bought is both OBD and ADS, but he was connected via PCMCIA.

I will try to get in touch with him again and see if he's still in trouble and I'll try your tool... Thanks!!! I'll report back
    Last edited by LPCapital; 05-23-2011 at 04:12 PM.

ZetaTre
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    2006 Ducati 999S
    2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    Please try it... I suspect it will be able to "read" but not code (INPA works, NCS expert does not... work in progress..)

My Cars
    Wasp & Duc
    Unfrtunately it doesn't work. The PCMCIA card is recognized by Vista as USB-to-Serial. I can patch the driver, but when I reboot Vista says there's a problem with it. If I force it and start DIS once I hit diagnose Vista crashes and reboot...

Apparently the problem is with the PCMCIA card: it's based on the Prolific chipset which is a USB-to-serial adapter. I suspect the PCMCIA creates a USB connection so it doesn't work. I've noticed that various of the cards sold on eBay mention compatibility with the USB2.0 standard, because they are probably based on the Prolific chipset...

Anyone has a link to an eBay PCMCIA-to-Serial card recognized as such and that works with this patch?
    Last edited by LPCapital; 05-23-2011 at 07:25 PM.

ZetaTre
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    2006 Ducati 999S

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    I don't understand the part "Vista says there's a problem with it"
    What driver are you talking about? The tool patches only one file - the ADS32.DLL from EDIABAS/BIN ..... does Vista say anything about this file at startup? If yes, could you please post the error message?

My Cars
    Wasp & Duc
    After I run your patch, in resource manager the driver for the USB-to-Serial (read on...) is shown as not properly working. If I try to either fix it or run the Diagnosis in DIS the computer crashes and restart. After restart the driver is back to fine.

As I mentioned the problem is likely with the hardware: the PCMCIA is based on the Prolific chipset which is a USB-to-Serial bridge, so even if physically is a PCMCIA, for Vista is viewed as a USB...

ZetaTre
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    2006 Ducati 999S

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    I am sorry but I don't think my patch has anything to do with your "driver not working properly". It does not affect the driver at all, it just changes some things in ads32.dll to redirect EDIABAS (INPA, DIS....) traffic from real COM1 address to a different address (in this case the address of your virtual serial port). I don't think it even has the capacity to make your driver not work, be it Prolific USB-Serial or other.

My Cars
    Wasp & Duc
    Well... I'm not sure what happens but as soon as I run your patch the driver stops working.

Nonetheless: when I right click on the properties of the virtual COM I don't get the resource tab anyway to pull the address from...

The person just bought a different PCMCIA card, but just a word of caution: some of the PCMCIA card sold on ebay, although they are packaged as a PCMCIA use the Prolific chipset and WILL be recognized by Windows as a USB-to-Serial.

I'll report back how it goes with the new card...
    Last edited by LPCapital; 05-24-2011 at 12:19 PM.

ZetaTre
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    2006 Ducati 999S

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    I'll look into the pcmcia cards with prolific chip.

If you don't have the resources tab, what I/O address do you enter in the patch tool?

My Cars
    Wasp & Duc
    I just left it as it was...

Here's an example: http://www.computercablesource.com/p...pset-1688.html

You'll notice that in the description it mentions about being USB2.0 compatible...

ZetaTre
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    2006 Ducati 999S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast