Thread: DIY BMW Three Button Fob Programming

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5

DIY BMW Three Button Fob Programming

I just sold my BMW alarm system that uses the three button fob. I found the programming of the fob is completely different from the 2 button fob and programming instructions for the 3 button fob are very hard to find.

So here's the instructions for the 3 button fob.

Remove the two screws that hold the fob together and separate the two pieces.

Replace the battery if its old. Then remove the small rectangular chip from the fob.

Remove the small plastic door from the rear of the control module. Inside you'll see a chip holder that's identical to the one in the fob.

Insert the chip into the holder. Next to the chip is a tiny black button. Press and hold the button for 30 seconds.

If your LED turned on when you pressed the button then just hold it until it turns off. Mine didn't change at all during this process.

Remove the chip and reinstall it into the fob. replace the access panel on the control module and test the alarm.

You're done.

NOTE: Some cars may require you to turn on the ignition to accomplish the programming.

My Cars
    02 M5, 98 M3, 92 325
    This is a helpful DIY for those that have the factory BMW alarm for e36s (other models too?) built prior to Sept. 1995.

In addition to flyfishvt's helpful diy, this article from pelican is very helpful as well. It has photos. http://pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarti...rm-Install.htm

My Cars
    95' e36
    for some reason my alpine alarm module behind the glovebox is stuck....judging from this picture.....http://pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarti...-01.jpg.....it is jammed between the silver brace/box on the right and the black shelf. in other words it is located above the module where the blue arrow is pointing.

how do i change the red led lightbulb...cant seem to pull the bulb off the rectangular black piece

My Cars
    325i
    +1!

Awesome instructions, works like a charm.

My Cars
    E36
    Thanks! Worked great!
    mentioned in the other thread, but mine didn't flash till I released it after 30 secs, then it flashed twice
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    99 m3&tacoma 08 Duc 1098

alarm

Thank you. I have had this alarm for years and never got it to work before.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '85 535i
    Thanks flyfishvt, worked like a charm!! I got two LED flashes after I released the button as well. I finally spent the money to just get a new fob from theBMWPartsStore and was only $70!! This was the first time I've ever heard my car beep after 4yrs of ownership and it was an exciting moment lolol

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgreencups View Post
    for some reason my alpine alarm module behind the glovebox is stuck....judging from this picture.....http://pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarti...-01.jpg.....it is jammed between the silver brace/box on the right and the black shelf. in other words it is located above the module where the blue arrow is pointing.

how do i change the red led lightbulb...cant seem to pull the bulb off the rectangular black piece
    Mine was too. I'm purchasing the remote this week. Hope the programming process is easy! But mine was velcroed to the body. I had to put a screwdriver in between the Velcro strips. My Velcro ripped off the FCC number to. I wasn't happy. But I have the glass breakage sensor so I know I need the three button.

My Cars
    98 332ti
    I have a 3-button fob that will lock and unlock both mine and my wife's car at the same time. Hers will only operate her car. How can I delete my fob off her car's system???
    ..............Form following function; the true pathway to beauty..............

My Cars
    1996 BMW E36 318is M44
    I have a 94 alarm with a 3-button fob. I followed the instructions and i attempted to fit the alarm a few minutes ago and the LED doesn't flash when pressing the reset button. I turned on the ignition without running the engine. Once i turn the key off, the LED blinks but it doesn't recognize the remote.

What am i doing wrong? Must i do this with the ignition off? I don't have the input cable, i can't find it, its the speaker for the broken glass detector.

- - - Updated - - -

The 3 button remote is in pristine condition, so i know that the ROM chip is perfect.
    Last edited by locobrown; 05-08-2015 at 05:08 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW E36 318is M44
    anyone?

My Cars
    1996 328i
    I'm having trouble narrowing down exactly which 3 button fob is correct, maybe you have some insight?

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i

DIY BMW Three Button Fob Programming

Quote Originally Posted by locobrown View Post
    anyone?

Hi,

Did you figure out how to program your keyless entry and alarm system? I think I have the same issue you have or had.

My Cars
    1997 m3/4/5
    Hey just wanted to say thanks for this post and the information. It came in handy 5 years ago when I first purchased my car and one day when I had free time on my hand I decided to see if I could get the alarm to work again since the previous owner did sell the car with two key fobs. After some fiddling around(many hours later) I managed to get the 3 button key fob to communicate with the alarm unit.

However, this year I was doing some electrical work and needed to pass some wires through the engine bay to inside the cabin for fans and guages and during the process I bumped into the the alarm unit which was secured down with a piece of Velcro. My bumping into the alarm unit caused it to fall on the carpet and ever since that day the alarm features have completely stopped working. It’s been about 6 months that I no longer have any keyless functionality and it’s pretty annoying……I’m almost convinced that my hood switch wire got unplugged when I bumped into the alarm unit but I can not find the chassis hardness end of the connector and it’s driving me nuts!! I’ve tried programming the unit with two different fobs and two different chips and nothing working so far in all my attempts. Does anyone know of any fuse under the hood that can prevent the alarm from working ? I’ve checked the fuse on the harness. I would like to keep it oem and maybe I’ve try swapping out the system for the 2 button system if I can manage to piece of together for cheap, the prices for used parts are ridiculous these days especially for the alarms. This is the stuff I would throw out back in my younger days lol smh

FYI I have a copy of the original owner manual for the factory 3 button alarm. And btw it only tells you to hold the button for a few seconds if I recall the instructions correctly and the it is not required to have the key in the ignition either but before I spread any more false possibly false information I will try to upload an image from alarm user manual in the next couple of day after I dig it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk