Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: LS1/T56 in 1997 E36 M3 - Samberg kit

My Cars
    1997 BMW M-Blasphemy

LS3/T56 in 1997 E36 M3 - Samberg kit

Well, my Samberg kit just arrived and over the next few weeks I will be working with a local shop to do the install. First off, the communication with Justin on ordering of the Samberg kit went great. He was easy to get in contact with and answered the 50+ questions I had on the kit. The kit arrived within a few weeks of ordering which was extremely quick considering I am on the other coast. The subframe and headers look great and the welds look awesome. The steering shaft is also a nice bonus.

I sourced an LS1 out of a 2002 Trans Am with 35,000 miles, and a T56 from a 2000 Camaro which came with a new Ram clutch kit, resurfaced flywheel, and remote bleeder (got lucky on that one ).

I picked up an E36 in December with plans for doing an LS1 swap. The 1997 S52 runs great, with all of its 185,000 original miles. I already have a buyer for the motor and trans, so that helps.

I will be dropping off the headers to be ceramic coated, and I will probably end up powdercoating the subframe and mounts. The turnaround time is about a week, so I won't be tearing the car apart until I get everything back. Next thing to do is to buy a cam with springs and pushrods. I am thinking of a 224/230 cam, as my local reputable LSx shop recommended. They are telling me that they get good results with that cam throughout the RPM range.

Enough typing, on to the pics:

The E36:

Out with the old:

The bone stock T/A with the LS1:

The nasty motor (battery exploded in the front end collision). It started right up and I was able to hear it run.

There is a T56 in there somewhere:

The Samberg kit:

Last edited by SHhhhh; 06-08-2012 at 04:19 PM.

My Cars
    1998 540i
    That is one clean looking e36.
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Very Nice! How much did the Motorset cost you? I am having problems finding a clean 2001-2002 Camaro setup.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M-Blasphemy
    Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    That is one clean looking e36.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
    Very Nice! How much did the Motorset cost you? I am having problems finding a clean 2001-2002 Camaro setup.
    I paid a little more because of the low mileage. Around here they are going for $3500-$4000 depending on mileage.

My Cars
    95 M3 -- 93 RX7
    I like your e36. have fun with the build.

Mike

My Cars
    96 M3 TT LSx
    I should hopefully be making a thread like this in a few months. Car and Samberg kit look great

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    very nice e36.

Both the e36 and the motor look like they are autos - the conversions shouldn't be too bad - take the opportunity to lengthen your o2 sensor plugs on the ls1 harness while you're there!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M-Blasphemy
    Thanks guys.

Actually the E36 is a manual. For the conversion I will be using the computer and harness out of a manual transmission car. I am hoping there are no surprises doing it this way.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    e36 does look clean. Nice to see more and more of these swaps.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Glad to see another one comming!! I remember Tongboy having some header fitment issues, was this revised with the new kits?

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by 357i View Post
    Glad to see another one comming!! I remember Tongboy having some header fitment issues, was this revised with the new kits?
    I'm interested in seeing that as well - I know some of my issue was because of the sedan body but i'm hoping samberg brought the passenger side in and tightened up the rear drivers side area.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M-Blasphemy
    I dropped off the Samberg parts today to be ceramic/powder coated. I won't get these back for a week or more, so the install won't start until then.

Quote Originally Posted by 357i View Post
    I have been lurking on here for a long time going through all the builds. This is a great source of information. And I am excited to get this on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by Tongboy View Post
    I'm interested in seeing that as well - I know some of my issue was because of the sedan body but i'm hoping samberg brought the passenger side in and tightened up the rear drivers side area.
    This was one of my questions to Justin, and he said you *may" need to clearance the inner-fenders/framerail area in a few places. He made it seem like it was dependent on the individual car. Apparently there are some cars where this was not necessary. I am not too worried about this, as long as it is minor. We shall soon see, and I will post the results.

My Cars
    E36
    Do you have a link to the Samberg kit? I tried googling, but I apparently fail at that today...

I've been eyeing the vorshlag kit and really want to know how they stack up.

Looking forward to following this thread.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    you need to visit www.norotors.com he has a forum there that lists E36 parts.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M-Blasphemy
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post
    Do you have a link to the Samberg kit? I tried googling, but I apparently fail at that today...

I've been eyeing the vorshlag kit and really want to know how they stack up.

Looking forward to following this thread.
    I had to research a little as well before I was able to contact Samberg. I sent him an e-mail with my number and he got back to me that day.

The link I saw with pricing before I ordered was here (I didn't receive a shoe though):

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=623.0

If you are interested in the kit, send him an email or just call him. Contact info is here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...9&postcount=92
    Last edited by SHhhhh; 03-17-2011 at 07:11 PM.

My Cars
    E36
    Holy carp. That is way cheaper than the Vorshlag kit! Now I really want to see if you have any issues like Tongboy. Get going! Go on! Git!

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post
    Holy carp. That is way cheaper than the Vorshlag kit! Now I really want to see if you have any issues like Tongboy. Get going! Go on! Git!
    Keep in mind, vorshlags Zero kit includes a driveshaft where as sambergs does not. Buying a la carte the prices are closer (engine/trans mounts +headers + steering shaft). Vorshlags headers are more.
    I really like the samberg subframe...but I'm not sold on it yet.....Still interested to see how JTR's package comes together.

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by hefftone View Post
    Keep in mind, vorshlags Zero kit includes a driveshaft where as sambergs does not. Buying a la carte the prices are closer (engine/trans mounts +headers + steering shaft). Vorshlags headers are more.
    I really like the samberg subframe...but I'm not sold on it yet.....Still interested to see how JTR's package comes together.
    the prices are functionally give or take 100 bucks equal when it comes to what both kits offer - I wouldn't buy the vorschlag drive shaft becuase it's overpriced but the headers & mounts are fairly priced right along with sambergs.

I personally looking back would be happier with the stock front subframe - the bars that go to the back of the lollipops make changing the control arms to be a COMPLETE PITA - we're talking 2.5+ hours a side if you're lucky. The vorschlag headers also fit better in the bay - they curve where they need to on the collector outlet on the drivers side and don't require modification (supposedly) on any car.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M-Blasphemy
    Quote Originally Posted by hefftone View Post
    Still interested to see how JTR's package comes together.
    I was as well. I made several attempts to contact them to get an ETA on the kit, but came up empty every time. My choices between the currently available kits were Vorshlag and Samberg, and ended up going with the latter.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Looks great, can't wait for you to get started on this!

How much are you getting for your M3 engine and transmission?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M-Blasphemy
    Quote Originally Posted by 0100 View Post
    Looks great, can't wait for you to get started on this!

How much are you getting for your M3 engine and transmission?
    Thanks

Around $1500 without Dinan ECU and intake.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M-Blasphemy

My Cars
    2008 535i
    nice stuff What kind of coating on headers?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M-Blasphemy
    It is a ceramic coating called Cerama Krome.

Hopefully I will get some progress on the swap soon!

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Dayumn.....that looks fantastic.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast