Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW E36 MFSW retrofit pictoral DIY

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline19GR View Post
    Im little confused.Sorry for the question-bombing Joy but i'm little noob.Yeah i know about the phone issues but i dont use it either.

You said Pac is programmable/learning and the other is already programmed.
    Can you please explain why should i prefer the Pac?And how could i programmed?

thank you for answering my question's joy
    You should prefer the connects2. It is plug and play. Simple, easy.

My Cars
    1997 540i6, 2009 135i
    E39 540 1997 Prod 08/96

I just upgraded my steering wheel from the 4-spoke wheel to the 3-spoke M-sport wheel. The original wheel had cruise control, audio control, circulate air and phone buttons on the wheel. The new wheel only has cruise and audio functions. The audio buttons work great, but not the cruise buttons.

I pulled the white wire out of the slip ring connector and h-tapped it to the ibus coming from the MFL under the dash. The track and volume controls work fine, but the cruise control is not working. My existing system used a cruise control button on the dash as well as controls on the wheel.

Do I just need to exchange CCM under the dash to the newer 65718375497 HW:08 SW:04? Or do I need to run the wire from the black lead of the slip ring to pin 24 of the CCM under the dash? Or both?

Here is my parts list:
    32342228670 Wheel
    32342229130 Airbag
    32341094261 Slip Ring
    61312489879 Radio Module
    61312695126 Speed Module
    61102493715 Connecting line

o 1997 540i6 o Dinan supercharger system o Dinan stage 3 suspension system o Dinan wheels o UUC EVO3 SSK/DSSR o SS Headers o M-Tech illuminated shifter o M5 3.62 LSD o Cubic trim o Gauge rings o OEM In-dash CD o Ultimate pedals o Hella AE's o M-Sport Steering Wheel o 400 RWHP o A/W intercooler o Killer Chiller

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Yes the older version use a separate button to turn cc on. With the latest module you can turn it on and off with jusy the O button on the wheel.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

dancerst is offline life is a dance... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Yes the older version use a separate button to turn cc on. With the latest module you can turn it on and off with jusy the O button on the wheel.
    Correct

My Cars
    1997 540i6, 2009 135i
    I don't think the current version of my CCM works at all with the wheel modules I have now. The recirculation system keeps coming on. I had to pull the black wire at pin 3 out of the the slip ring to stop it from looping on and off. I am hoping a newer CCM will solve this issue. I have not rewired anything for the cruise control so I hope this is the fix.

o 1997 540i6 o Dinan supercharger system o Dinan stage 3 suspension system o Dinan wheels o UUC EVO3 SSK/DSSR o SS Headers o M-Tech illuminated shifter o M5 3.62 LSD o Cubic trim o Gauge rings o OEM In-dash CD o Ultimate pedals o Hella AE's o M-Sport Steering Wheel o 400 RWHP o A/W intercooler o Killer Chiller

My Cars
    E36 M52B30, M54B30

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    E36 M52B30, M54B30
    oops, seems I need to get another CC kit.
    so, if I have CC with 07 04 module, how is the wiring to MFL module? and if I can get 08 04 module, can I just swap 07 04 module or I need to make some modification on existing 07 04 wiring?

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by 540-S3 View Post
    Okay I just removed my CCM. it was PN 65718369062 HW:05 SW:03 and replaced it with 65718375497 HW:07 SW:04. I reattached the black wire I had removed from the slip ring and inserted back into the slip ring connector on pin 3. I also unplugged the cruise switch mounted on the dash trim panel. Good news - the cruise control works perfect.

I still have the recirculate button going on and off on my HVAC control panel. I am beginning to think this is a different problem.
    Refresh my memory - do you have the MFL module in your car mate?

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by 540-S3 View Post
    Okay I just removed my CCM. it was PN 65718369062 HW:05 SW:03 and replaced it with 65718375497 HW:07 SW:04. I reattached the black wire I had removed from the slip ring and inserted back into the slip ring connector on pin 3. I also unplugged the cruise switch mounted on the dash trim panel. Good news - the cruise control works perfect.

I still have the recirculate button going on and off on my HVAC control panel. I am beginning to think this is a different problem.
    You need to move wht-gry-yel wire from MFL module to the steering wheel connector.

My Cars
    1997 540i6, 2009 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    Refresh my memory - do you have the MFL module in your car mate?
    Yes the car came with an MFL module.

Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    You need to move wht-gry-yel wire from MFL module to the steering wheel connector.
    I pulled the wht wire out of the slip ring connector and h-tapped it to the wht-gry-yel wire coming out of the MFL connector.

The cruise control works, the back lighting works and audio buttons all work on the wheel, but the four cruise buttons all turn on the recirculation system. Very strange

Another post of someone having a similar problem.
    Last edited by 540-S3; 10-16-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 540i6, 2009 135i

Pre 9/96 E39 Sport Wheel Retrofit

I found another thread with a subject matter expert to help me. Vlacki wrote out this explanation (see below) on what I need to do, but because of the language barrier I am having a hard time understanding what he wants me to do. When I ask him he seems to get upset even through I offered to pay him. Can anyone else make heads or tails out of this?

Here is what I have so far:

It sounds like I pull out the cable to the MFL module and leave it out. Then do the cross connects. Since the wheel modules have the MFL function built in, he is trying to take the MFL module under the dash out of the picture. That way the wheel functions as it was designed to. Trying to figure out the pin outs for the cross connects.

Wiring diagram
    http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/e39/

Overview
    http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...3782.svg?m=e39

I think this is the correct wiring diagram for the wheel:
    http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...2095.svg?m=e39

MFL Connector
    http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zinfo/E39_PA105A.htm

Steps as I understand them:
    1. Swap the old illumination wire (grey/red) to the empty pin on the 6pin slip ring connector (not used pin)
    2. Make a bridge on the MFL module between the IBUS wire (white/gray/yellow - pin 6) going to the radio/cluster and the other #1 wire that goes to the wheel pin 1.
    3. Make a bridge on the MFL module between the Cruise wire (yellow/black - Pin 5) going to the GR2 and the wire #2 going to the wheel pin 2.

Any help would be appreciated, but as I told him, I will pay anyone that understands this and can step me through exactly what I need to do.

BL - Blau - Blue
    BR - Braun - Brown
    GE - Gelb - Yellow
    GN - Grόn - Green
    GR - Grau - Grey
    OR - Orange - Orange
    RS - Rosa - Pink
    RT - Rot - Red
    SW - Schwartz - Black
    VI - Violett - Purple
    WS - weiί - White
    TR - Transparent - Transparent

Vlacki's Explanation:
    if your car is prod 8/96 you have the "MFL modul" under the dashboard (left side above left leg). Black box, same size as EWS modul, white 26pin connector, about 7 wires go in it, installed in E39/E38 until 9/96. This modul has to be eiminated (connector unpluged) and on that connector made some jumps between wires.

The thing is that on the old cars the ilumination of the steering MFL buttons is by wire (old school) as on newer is by Ibus digitaly. Old system have
    - ilumination
    - #1 wire MFL from modul (power)
    - #2 idem (data radio+cruise together)
    - ground
    - horn
    This makes the 5 wires to the slipring, one is digital

New system has
    - ibus (radio, MFL diagnostic and ilumination)
    - cruise (GR2 modul)
    - power
    - ground
    - horn
    same number of wires but different wiring. 2 digital wires

The best way is to get a 15inch wire with bmw pin and do:
    - remove the MFL modul
    - swap the old ilumination wire to the empty pin on the 6pin sliprig connector (not used pin)
    - make a bridge on the MFL modul between the IBUS wire going to the radio/cluster and the other #1 wire that goes to the wheel
    - make a bridge on the MFL modul between the Cruise wire going to the GR2 and the wire #2 going to the wheel
    - place the #1 (ibus) and #2 (cruise) as they should be on the new slipring (ibus is white/gray/yellow, as for the cruise I don't know by memory)
    - wire the 15inch wire with the bmw pin in the slipring connector where the MFL gets it's power and the other end to above the clutch pedal where the common points are. Cut the wire if too long, clamp/solder a "2.8mm female flat isolated pin" (can get in a electrical store or reused it from a scrap BMW and solder it on the wire in the car). Insert the wire with the pin to the forks of the common points. The common points are a black box containing smaller black boxes in which same wires go in. The MFL is powered same wire as brake switch (purple/yellow if I remeber correctly).
    - inside the wheel where the MFL switches are the correct position of ibus, cruise, power and ground has to be check as it's different between slipring (9/96 change). The color slides on the connectors prevent of installing not correct switch years (blue or white), but if modifications have been made in past by previous owners is better to check again.
    - at the end you wil have 6 wires to the slipring, but as the slipring is only 5 wires the 6th wire ilumination (from before) has no function and this is what we want.

In short: The 2 digital wires comming from the MFL go to the MFLmodul connector and on the bridges continue to Ibus and Cruise. Ground, horn remains the same, power is added same as brakes.

This all together should take 30min do install. It's the faster way possible and the best to do a clean job with minimum effort (plus is reversible in 5min). Any other way (clamping wires directly to slipring or cutting out connectors, ducktape solutions...) is wrong as the car wireing is damaged and possible faults may be produced in the future. If the thing doesn't work recheck the wiring if done properly. If you don't understand read it gain and again. Everything you need to know is writen, for any extra stuff open online BMW EWS and chech the wires it self (cruise modul is under "GR 2", MFL under MFL). If I have to check diagrams and similar I charge by the hour!

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    all bmws
    Ok I am just a little confused about the CC unit. I have one here that is a HW06SW03.
    Am I understanding that I would not be able to use the I/O switch to turn the cruise on and off. Sorry if this has been covered, I dont mind buying the right unit but wanted to make sure before I spend any money. Im using a Heated 4 spoke wheel. Got the switch with the SW Heater button on it and the bag. Dont really care for the rec button.

Thanks
    Matt

My Cars
    1997 540i6, 2009 135i
    This upgrade replaces the single stage 4-spoke wheel to the single stage 3-spoke sport wheel for pre 9/96 production E39s.

I was able to get my conversion done with no issues and all functions working correctly. This also resolves the issue with the recirculation system coming on at random. This took a lot of research, misinformation, trial and error to figure out, but it is really a simple mod. No wires were cut, soldered or H-tapped.

Sport Wheels
    [09/97-03/99]
    P/N 32 34 2 228 670 M-Sport Wheel w/o phone buttons [09/97-03/99]
    P/N 32 34 2 228 671 M-Sport Wheel w/ phone buttons [09/97-03/99]
    P/N 32 34 2 229 130 M-Sport Airbag single-stage [09/96-03/99]
    Either wheel can be retrofitted as long as you get the correct connecting line, radio and speed module for your either the 670 or 671 wheel. Slip ring is the same for both wheels.

My Parts List
    32342228670 Wheel - w/o phone
    32342229130 Airbag
    32341094261 Slip Ring
    61312489879 Radio Module - w/o phone
    61312695126 Speed Control Module - w/o phone
    61102493715 Connecting line- w/o phone
    65718375497 Cruise Control Module HW:07 SW:04

Cruise Control Upgrade:
    I removed a CCM PN 65718396062 HW:5 SW:03 and installed PN 65718375497 HW:07 SW:04. Part was $30 on eBay. The cruise button in the dash trim piece is now unplugged.

MFL Jumpers:
    I permanently unplugged the MFL module from under the dash. On the 26-pin MFL connector I jumpered pins 1 and 3 (wheel power) and pins 2 and 4 (wheel ground).

Slip Ring Mod:
    I removed the black cruise wire and the white IBUS wire coming from the 6-pin slip ring connector. This is the pigtail coming out of the slip ring - see pic below. Leave the female pin on each wire.

NOTE:
    I ran the same type wire I used for the jumpers to make connections from the MFL plug to the wires removed from the slip ring connector. The wire was single strand 22/24-gauge. It fit snugly into the MFL connector as jumpers and into the pins I removed from the slip ring.

Cruise Connection:
    I inserted the jumper wire into pin 5 of the MFL connector and ran it to the black cruise wire removed from the slip ring. Insert the jumper wire into the pin of the black wire and heat shrink jumper wire and pin together.

IBUS Connection:
    I inserted the jumper wire into pin 6 of the MFL connector and ran it to the black cruise wire removed from the slip ring. Insert the jumper wire into the pin of the black wire and heat shrink jumper wire and pin together.

Here are some pics of the refurbished single stage wheel I purchased from a guy in Germany. He sells the complete wheel, but I only bought the wheel without any modules or airbag. His eBay name is tainik

Last edited by 540-S3; 11-24-2011 at 01:51 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by m4tt View Post
    Ok I am just a little confused about the CC unit. I have one here that is a HW06SW03.
    Am I understanding that I would not be able to use the I/O switch to turn the cruise on and off. Sorry if this has been covered, I dont mind buying the right unit but wanted to make sure before I spend any money. Im using a Heated 4 spoke wheel. Got the switch with the SW Heater button on it and the bag. Dont really care for the rec button.

Thanks
    Matt
    I assume you are talking about an E39? You are in the E36 forum. From what I can tell, all E39 CC modules should support the dash switch, should you wish to use it.

My Cars
    all bmws
    Yea. I want to put the 4 spoke e39 wheel in my e36. I'm trying to find out the difference between the cc unit 0603 and the 0804. I would like to make the I/o button on the wheel work without the second switch on the dash. I was asking about the difference between the 2 cc control units

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    all bmws
    Ok. Got ya.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    I think the main reason is that the HW08 also supports the "O"-only button, while NOT requiring a seperate "I" switch that as located on the dash on these cars.

With HW08, the "O" switch, works as it was an "O/I" switch.
    I'm not sure how correct this is. As far as I can see from eBay, HW08 only ever shipped in the 1999+ E46. This must mean at least some of the earlier modules they shipped after 1996 in the E39 support this function.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    I'm not sure how correct this is. As far as I can see from eBay, HW08 only ever shipped in the 1999+ E46. This must mean at least some of the earlier modules they shipped after 1996 in the E39 support this function.
    That info comes straight from Dancert. He seems to be the expert in it. So I go by his words. I guess I will find out when I get to fit it.

Although I will never know 100% sure as the buttons I got have the "O" only, while I explicitly ordered the latest and correct part number that would have the I/O switch. So I wonder if they maybe inserted a button with wrong symbol, while the electronic are a correct I/O version.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    all bmws
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst

E36 cruise control connector modification when installing E39 cruise control module.
    this «- - - - - - -» means - do not touch

1- - - - - - - -
    2- - - - - - - -
    3- - - - - - - -
    4- - - - - - - -
    5- - - - - - - -
    6- - - - - - - -
    7- - - - - - - -
    8- - - - - - - -
    9- BLU/GRY - remove
    10- - - - - - - -
    11- - - - - - - -
    12- - - - - - - -
    13- - - - - - - -
    14- - - - - - - -
    15- BLU/BRN - remove to pin 21
    16- - - - - - - -
    17- - - - - - - -
    18- BLU/GRN - remove
    19- - - - - - - -
    20- BLU/BLK - remove
    21- BRN/ORG - remove
    22- - - - - - - -
    23- - - - - - - -
    24- BLU/WHT - remove, this pin will be used for signal from the wheel.
    25- to instrument cluster signal lamp
    26- - - - - - - -
    The wires on my cc plug do not match up with this. My car is a 94 325i vert. Something must be different.

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by m4tt View Post
    The wires on my cc plug do not match up with this. My car is a 94 325i vert. Something must be different.
    Yes, it’s because your car is 94’s...

Are you starting a MFL project or you just curious? )

My Cars
    all bmws
    The wheel is in. Radio side and heated wheel. Just need to finish cc

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    ok. wait for my instructions, i’ll try to write you tomorrow

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast