Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW E36 MFSW retrofit pictoral DIY

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

BMW E36 MFSW retrofit pictoral DIY

First source your wheel. You either want an E36 ///M3 wheel and a set of buttons, or an E38/E39 wheel from a pre 09/1999 car. These are the single stage airbag cars. If you want an E46/E90/X5 or post 1999 E39 wheel prepare to deal with sliprings that don't match and dual stage airbag rewiring. I can't/won't help you there so don't ask.

Give the wheel a quick clean with a toothbrush and some fabric cleaner like Vanish.

Before/After

Before/After

You could clean the leather with soap and water to remove any shine from the grease from the PO's hands too. Nice.

I stripped down the buttons and used thinners on the housings to remove the chipped plasticote stuff from the plastic.

Gave the LEDs a quick test. They light whenever the power is on.

You will need a pre 09/99 E38/E39 slipring, this is the unmistakable type with the wires hanging off it, note there are some extra wires for the MFSW, compared to the E36's two wires (horn, GND).

E39 slipring
    1 BR GND
    2 VI Power
    3 SW Cruise
    4 WS iBus
    5 Empty
    6 BL Horn

Next I knocked up a few wires using some MQS pins and fan connectors.

I used a pink wire for the iBus because I used white on another project in the car already.
    I used a blue wire for the cruise as that is what is on the vehicle side on the E36.
    Use 1.0/1.5mm thin wall wire. Any thicker (2.5mm) won't fit in the connector.

Fitting the harness into the car

Slide off the connector protector and add in the new pins. The grey wire is for a future project.

Replace the cover and assemble.

Make the connections to the car.

Cruise signal Blue/Black wire at cruise swcith connector, connects to pin 24 on CC module. You will need an E39 CC module I think they got to HW08/SW03 but I'm not sure. Post 09/99 CC is integrated into the DME and the CC module was deleted. Solder and wrap in insulating tape.

IGN on connect to Violet/White.

Illum connect to Grey/Red (not used)

Push the fan connectors home with a flat screwdriver.

Connect the iBus line to the back of the radio, pin 7 yellow wire. Solder and wrap in electrical tape.

Next fit the wheel and slipring. Make sure to mark the column so the new wheel goes back on straight. Unplug the battery before unplugging the airbag.

Make sure the wires are tucked away and secure so they don't get pinched or rattle once assembled.

Lights off (sorry about the crap camera)

Lights on, again crap camera but you get the idea.

Sorted. The illumination is on full time, but not visible during the day even if you shade them with your hand, I was worried they would be visible and it would annoy me. They give off a soft glow that is not visible until the evening.
    Last edited by Joylove; 06-25-2012 at 07:11 PM.

tmaxx445 is offline E38 6 Speed Club Member! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    This is perfect timing. I just bought a 2002 m Coupe three spoke last weekend. This will be my next project after the headliner, but I am doing that on my spring break later this week. I always love more BMW OEM amber switches and buttons on my car. I think they will go with my new illuminated shift knob very nicely. Do you have anything hooked up to the phone buttons yet? I would love to use some sort of Bluetooth with my iPhone 4.

Interior with new M sport wheel. I think the buttons would look great.

tmaxx445
    2001 740i / S62 Swap / 6 Speed Swap / Titanium Silver Metallic / Grey Montana Leather / M Sport / Convenience Pkg / Heated Seats / PDC / MKIV Navigation / DSP / Bluetooth TCU / Dice Mediabridge / Vavona Trim / Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Cat Delete / SAI Delete / Euro Tune / Koni Singles / H&R II Springs / Custom 3.15 25% Limited Slip Diff / Staggered OE M Parallels / 275 & 245 Firehawks / Euro City Lights / Celis Tail Lights / SunTek 70% CXP Tint

2005 M3 Coupe
    / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium Pkg / Cold Weather Pkg / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / MKIV Navigation / Harman Kardon / Bluetooth / Sirius XM / Aux In / Carbon Trim / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / StreamLine Intake / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Exhaust Bypass Valve / P0lar Tune / Koni Yellows / Eibach Springs / Staggered OE CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / Angel Eyes / CF CSL Splitters / SunTek 38% Carbon Tint

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx445 View Post
    Do you have anything hooked up to the phone buttons yet? I would love to use some sort of Bluetooth with my iPhone 4.
    tmaxx445
    The Mediabridge on my sig works with the wheel buttons. When the phone rings you need to flip to CD changer (to access all Mediabridge audio) then hit Up on the wheel to answer. It could work with the R/T and sneezing man buttons, if they updated the software to do that. Also it doesn't boot after the iBus goes to sleep in an E36, see the link I posted as a reply to the Mediabridge thread to understand the problem.

My Cars
    bmw e36 m3
    first of all thanks for the DIY

but one thing confuses me,

E39 slip ring
    1 BR GND
    2 VI power
    3 SW Cruise
    4 WAS iBus
    5 Empty
    6 BL Horn

color corresponds to each cable?

for example to connect only the serious radio control power 1 and 2 pin 4 pin radio control?
    Last edited by mario88; 03-08-2011 at 05:03 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    bmw e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    1 and 6 are already in place on E36 for horn. Connect 4 to radio. Connect 2 to power.

ok I understand

and pin 3 SW cruise?

which is exactly, for I have to switch washer Cruise?

I have to get a unit like this e39

http://cgi.ebay.es/BMW-E38-E39-MULTI...item35af39c349

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    SW = Schwartz = black

MFL unit you don't want it. It is for super early E38/E39 cars, maybe 1995-1997. It converts iBus to something else. With CD43 it accepts iBus direct from MFL.

Pin 3 controls all cruise functions with E39 CC module on pin 24 of module.

A8 CC module
    1 A Actuator motor Speed control actuator motor
    1 GE/VI Motor Actuator X70.1
    2 E Without AGS Clutch signal Clutch switch
    2 BL/BR GND/Clutch switch X121.2 clutch switch
    3 E Potentiometer test value Speed control actuator motor
    3 SW/GN Feedback Actuator X70.6
    4 Not used

5 E Selector lever signal L2 Electronic immobilizer control unit (EWS)
    5 BR/SW Automatic transmission range switch/EGS 2460.2, 2460.4 EGS Can be open
    6 Not used

7 E Transmission signal AGS transmission control unit
    7 GE/BR EGS X69.14, X8500.33
    8 E Engine speed signal DME control unit
    8 SW Instrument cluster RPM signal 6211.0
    9 Not used
    9 BL/GR X72.2 CC switch
    10 E Speedometer (A) output signal Instrument cluster Integrated electronic control unit (IKE)
    10 SW/WS GAL X17.2 Instrument cluster
    11 A Potentiometer activation - Speed control actuator motor
    11 SW/BL Feedback Actuator X70.7
    12 A Potentiometer activation + Speed control actuator motor
    12 SW/BR Feedback Actuator X70.5
    13 M Ground Ground point
    13 GND
    14 A Actuator motor + Speed control actuator motor
    14 GE/WS Motor Actuator X70.4
    15 Not used
    15 BL/BR Brake Light switch X181, X78.2
    16 Not used
    Black/White
    17 E/A Diagnostic link TXD Diagnostic connector
    17 WS/VI Data link 670.5 Brown/Orange
    18 Not used
    18 BL/GN X72.3 CC switch
    19 Not used

20 Not used
    20 BL/SW X72.4 CC switch Blue/White
    21 E Brake signal Brake light switch
    21 GND Blue/Grey
    22 Not used Cruise on switch active low
    Blue/Green
    23 A Actuator clutch Speed control actuator motor
    23 RT/BR Feedback Actuator X70.3
    24 E Actuating signal Multifunction steering wheel control unit
    24 BL/SW X72.5 CC switch Blue/Black

25 A Indicator lamp Instrument cluster Cruise on LED
    Brown/Black
    26 E Voltage supply terminal R Fuse F41
    26 VI/GE IGN X10018.32 X72.1 CC switch Violet/Yelow
    Last edited by Joylove; 03-08-2011 at 05:55 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Just one note. The E38/39 <3/99 M wheel is substantially larger than than the E36/Z3 one. 385mm vs. 370mm.

Jay: All I need to hook up left is the cruise control. They 328i retrofit kit is no longer available so I'm going to source the parts are directly go for the E38/E39 module. I have seen E36 CC module conversions, but I read that the E38/E39 CC "resolution" is higher. So that should do. CC is of low priority at the moment though.
    And BMW screwed up, using the same partnumber for the CC button pod for the version with just the 0 on it an the I/0 version.

Could you maybe pull your right switch block and check the part number?

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I missed it, on the E38/E39 slipring the outside (blue/brown) wires need to be swapped, as on the E36 they are located at each other's position.

Did this mod 2 years ago. As I have the CD43 it's a direct connection. I also hooked up the OEM carphone. Now trying to get voice control working as I have that symbol on the button. But it's a major wiring hassle.

For CC it would be cool to have an indicator light on the dash. Someone on a Dutch board was creative and used an unused space and made his own tell-tale:

And my own setup

Here's a LQ vid of me showing the controlling of the carphone through the MFL and how the CD43's display is used by the phone.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdgIbStByr4[/ame]
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    And BMW screwed up, using the same partnumber for the CC button pod for the version with just the 0 on it an the I/0 version.
    This is true. I went for a HW/07 or HW/08 E39 CC unit, to make sure it was one of the last that didn't need the 0/1 dash button. Good spot.

Could you maybe pull your right switch block and check the part number?
    On the MFL? I haven't any plans to pull it as I only just put it together on Sunday, but I will check the next time. I got mine used on eBay, but the paint had aged on the buttons for sure.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I missed it, on the E38/E39 slipring the outside (blue/brown) wires need to be swapped, as on the E36 they are located at each other's position.
    I saw this on the early threads you made on this, and I checked with a multimeter and this is not the case with my car. My horn works fine. If the wires needed to be swapped it would be immediately obvious as the horn would be on 100% of the time.

For CC it would be cool to have an indicator light on the dash. Someone on a Dutch board was creative and used an unused space and made his own tell-tale:

That is very cool. There are loads of spare lamp positions on the E36. I also toyed with making the MFL CC button itself change to a green colour when active, and moving all the E36 indicator lamps into one area and using the freed space for a MID LCD. One day I might get round to that

And my own setup

Here's a LQ vid of me showing the controlling of the carphone through the MFL and how the CD43's display is used by the phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdgIbStByr4
    Thanks, I new you had some great low light pictures and videos

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    This is true. I went for a HW/07 or HW/08 E39 CC unit, to make sure it was one of the last that didn't need the 0/1 dash button. Good spot...
    That was not what I meant, but interesting to read now. So the O/I button needs a different CC module to work? I don't want a separate I button as I have no room for any extra switches on my dash.

So what type CC module would I need for the I/O switch to work?

I really like the idea to have the CC symbol turn into green when active. This would make a cluster light obsolete.

The E38 with ACC option has some funky extra light around the speedo scale to indicate at what speed the CC is set.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    That was not what I meant, but interesting to read now. So the O/I button needs a different CC module to work? I don't want a separate I button as I have no room for any extra switches on my dash.
    Indeed not - the button isn't even the right shape for an E36. I think this was in for a short period of time, maybe 1997-1998.

So what type CC module would I need for the I/O switch to work?
    Just get a late one, HW07/HW08 something like that and you should be groovy. HW04/HW05 you might be on dodgy ground.

I really like the idea to have the CC symbol turn into green when active. This would make a cluster light obsolete.
    Nice idea for sure, would mean quite a lods of mods though.

1) Reuse the brown GND wire in the slipring for the Cruise On light, get GND for horn and MFL from the steering column bolt (measured at 2.5 Ohms - no problem)
    2) Add a pin to the MFL switch unit - not easy, mouldings only accomodate a 4 pin connector and they are all occupied.
    3) Build something from plastic to isolate the illumination around the 0/1 MFL switch to remove any amber light leak into the lamp.
    4) Add a small 1.8V circuit to drive the green/red LED to a BMW amber shade and to toggle in such a way that the red part turns off when cruise is on.

I ran out of time with this when I had the MFL buttons apart so gave up. I was looking at adding extra wires to the slipring and using them for an Alpine remote too but I just have too many half done projects [like contour wheels, alarm with flip keys, total closure module via comfort close feature, CC retrofit (mostly finished), modern touchscreen Windows CE sat nav install, remote trunk release (maybe), engine area lamp, DS2 HID conversion (maybe), tension straps repair, roof liner strings repair, Blaupunkt digital audio amp upgrade to class T and stealth installation, stealth speaker upgrade, door handle (inner and outer) courtesy illumination, armrest cup holder widening and illumination and finally ashtray illumination and glovebox torch LED conversion] at the moment to start another. I digress. The slipring has like 20 or 30 tuns of flexible PCB in it, I was going to unroll and glue more wires to it, then roll it back up. Frankly I was sick of looking at it all sitting waiting in the spare room so I abandoned the green LED idea indefinately.

The E38 with ACC option has some funky extra light around the speedo scale to indicate at what speed the CC is set.
    I've seen that on later cars some of them it starts at 0MPH then rotates round and stops ath the set speed , I didn't know it was available as early as the E38. I'd love that feature, but it'd be a lot of work to the binnacle.

The E38 with ACC option.
    Just found [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO5AdLOXeWs"]this [/ame]excellent video. Awesome.
    Last edited by Joylove; 03-09-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Yes that is Homerraas' vid. Guy lives a few blocks from my parents house and is my main part supplier.
    I've sat in that particular car and is an awesome 750iL. (not his car btw).

IG:

My Cars
    bmw e36 m3
    and those who do not have the radio source, as in my case, I have an alpine radio? alpine iva 900R
    Last edited by shogun; 09-01-2018 at 09:20 AM.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    bmw e36 m3
    Probably yes. I never used this thing before. Also I heard the PAC requires you to cut the iBus line.

You need a cruise control thread.

thanks, I'll get to work

E39 slipring
    1 BR GND
    2 VI Power
    3 SW Cruise
    4 WS iBus
    5 Empty
    6 BL Horn

you could please tell me what color wire is for everyone, I have the ring mounted so long ago and would go faster.

greetings
    Last edited by mario88; 03-10-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

dancerst is offline life is a dance... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Take this. It maybe useful for someone.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    Take this. It maybe useful for someone.
    If you have the MFL module, does't the radio signal also run though it?

Do you know if the E39/E39 Cruise Control module is plug & play with just a couple of pin/wire swaps?

IG:

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

How many pins are on the rear of E39 cruise O/I switch and is it simple on/off or momentary?

Attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    If you have the MFL module, does't the radio signal also run though it?
    i-bus signal doesn’t go through MFL.

Do you know if the E39/E39 Cruise Control module is plug & play with just a couple of pin/wire swaps?
    yes. but also you need to change your connector cover from white (E36) to blue (E39-38) to fit the connector on module.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    i-bus signal doesn’t go through MFL.

yes. but also you need to change your connector cover from white (E36) to blue (E39-38) to fit the connector on module.
    ha I see. I recall seeing someone do a mod on his E38 and needed the MFL module, but not sure exactly for what.

I have tons of spare connectors laying around so no problem.

Do you have a doc where the pin/wire changes are listed?

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    ha I see. I recall seeing someone do a mod on his E38 and needed the MFL module, but not sure exactly for what.

I have tons of spare connectors laying around so no problem.

Do you have a doc where the pin/wire changes are listed?
    E36 cruise control connector modification when installing E39 cruise control module.
    this «- - - - - - -» means - do not touch

1- - - - - - - -
    2- - - - - - - -
    3- - - - - - - -
    4- - - - - - - -
    5- - - - - - - -
    6- - - - - - - -
    7- - - - - - - -
    8- - - - - - - -
    9- BLU/GRY - remove
    10- - - - - - - -
    11- - - - - - - -
    12- - - - - - - -
    13- - - - - - - -
    14- - - - - - - -
    15- BLU/BRN - remove to pin 21
    16- - - - - - - -
    17- - - - - - - -
    18- BLU/GRN - remove
    19- - - - - - - -
    20- BLU/BLK - remove
    21- BRN/ORG - remove
    22- - - - - - - -
    23- - - - - - - -
    24- BLU/WHT - remove, this pin will be used for signal from the wheel.
    25- to instrument cluster signal lamp
    26- - - - - - - -
    Last edited by dancerst; 03-24-2011 at 02:56 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Thanks. That is pretty easy. Hope this also goes for the much simpler retrofit wiring loom.

I guess the pin 25 isn't used as we don't have a cluster signal lamp.
    Last edited by shogun; 09-01-2018 at 09:22 AM.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Thanks. That is pretty easy.

I guess the pin 25 isn't used as we don't have a cluster signal lamp.
    Since I don’t have ASC, I used that lamp for cruise control.

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast