Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Request for preconfigured VM, a fully configured one...

Request for preconfigured VM, a fully configured one...

So many of you have this working under vmware or on a laptop. The latest tools, able to talk through USB K-DCAN, the works.

How about a PTV (physical to virtual) or just a ZIP of the already created VMDK VMware file to get the totally unstarted ones (yea, me) off the ground to a head start?

Pretty please?

I should add, thanks to DRACON for ticking this thought in me. His VM image is a great start, but still needs disks, is missing the USB K-DCAN stuff etc. (not to mention, 10 people downloaded and no one shared it back out yet).

Cheers
    Last edited by peet; 03-04-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    I can upload a VM with the Progman v32 discs already loaded, it's about 5gb in size compressed. However, that about as far as you can go. You will still need to load the appropriate changes files to suit your particular setup.

Let me see if I can find the different changes isos on the board and maybe I could configure something a little easier to use for most situations.

Update:

Using Gene Poole's idea of using internet explorer, I configured the VM to boot up to the desktop (so there's no playing around with registry and files) and automagically open internet explorer to the progman home screen.

After I work out all the differences in the changes.iso versions, I'll put them in a directory on the C: drive so all that'll need to be done is load the one that fits your configuration and reboot.

Last edited by dracon; 03-04-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    what do you think of this?
    ive have it installed and up and running
    http://allautoinfo.org/diagnostic/

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    You guys are turning into lazy leechers. Why was this forum opened? It definitely wasn't opened so we can just start handing out copies of VMWare instances.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    i take your point but to some of us installing all this is a nightmare if your not up on computers,have a heart!

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i take your point but to some of us installing all this is a nightmare if your not up on computers,have a heart!
    What makes me think you are even capable of using such a piece of software if you can't even install it right? The install guides are so easy a monkey can do it. What does that say about the people who can't do it? Seriously, if you can't follow the guides, you should not be using this software to play with your car.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Robstah View Post
    What makes me think you are even capable of using such a piece of software if you can't even install it right? The install guides are so easy a monkey can do it. What does that say about the people who can't do it? Seriously, if you can't follow the guides, you should not be using this software to play with your car.
    cant argue with that mate

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstah View Post
    Well, I'm just trying to help out by making things a little easier for new people to use. I don't even use Progman anymore now that there's a standalone ISTA/P coming right around the corner.

However, if there is a prebuilt machine that gains wide adoption, it could be easier to help troubleshoot issues people have and help get people up and running faster. I also fixed a couple things that the original documents never addressed (at least none of the ones I've seen) with the XPe installation in VMWare (like the Unknown Device in device manager) and cleaning up the vmx file to remove the SCSI device to keep XPe from trying to load a SCSI device all the time.

Alot of great people, including yourself, have done alot of great work in getting these things into the hands of enthusiasts. I felt that it would be nice to roll up alot of that work and make it even easier to use.

As the OP, I am thankful for someone's help. I am an IT vet of 23 years. Started on DEC PDP11's, have extensive Cisco and VMware expertise and now run a 45 person tech team. So I'm no neophyte to tech.

I've also directly VAG tuned my Audi in the past, ran diags on my Benz and flash tuned my last car, a C63 through pulling the ECU, breaking the epoxy and attaching the chip to a vampire setup to load directly into the Bosch flash.

BUT

The quantity of info on this topic is overwhelming. There is no clear single piece of info that discusses all the moving pieces. When something is that cloudy and with the effect it can have on one's ECU, I'm hesitating.

What makes it even more complicated for me is that I'm running an R57 JCW Cooper right now. And most of these docs are BMW-centric. Not a major deal, but it's one more variable.

So, to the positive responders in this thread, I salute you and thank you very VERY much. Please share with me via PM if you'd rather a link to a starting/seed VM image. Knowing that I have a solid foundation will make the rest of this roadtrip much easier on my heart and blood pressure.

Cheers.

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Well, I finished up a prebuilt image today and created a small utility to switch the interface type from EDIC and OPS/OPPS easily for the different chassis.

I'm uploading them to a 4shared account now, it'll probably be Monday before it's ready as I don't have much of an upload at home so I'll start it before I leave for the weekend and it should be ready by the time I'm back.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    well done mate! thankyou

My Cars
    `09 525dE61, `05 325ci

Thumbs up

I can`t wait till monday, you`r a hero!

nice weekend

ASSE60

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    its monday!!!

My Cars
    `09 525dE61, `05 325ci

Thumbs up

Yeah,

but in Nashville, TN it's a bit longer Monday than in GMT Timezone

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    It's almost done uploading. It stopped part way over the weekend and had the restart the missing files. It should be done soon.

Finally got it all uploaded.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/IzzqCIkM/BMW_Tools.html

My suggestion for easy downloading, create a free account on 4shared and add the files from my share to yours and then use 4shared desktop to download them quickly from your account. You won't have the waiting restrictions or be forced to download the files one by one if you are a free user.
    Last edited by dracon; 03-15-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    `09 525dE61, `05 325ci
    Sorry for digging this out again, searched the entire day, shot alot trial and errors but I`d need some advise on how to handle these type of archives.
    A short writeup on how to bring them together again and running would highly be appreciated, thanks!

Greets ASSE60

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    ASSE,

All you need to do is download the latest version of WinZip (version 15) from http://www.winzip.com , then you can open the first file in the archive (.zipx) and extract the archive just like any other zip file. Put the extracted folder in your Virtual Machines directory (usually under My Documents or Documents) and open with VMWare.

My Cars
    2006 BMW E87
    Hi,

someone out there successfully unzipped the files? I get this strange error everytime I try to unzip it. I'm using Winzip 15 on a Win7 system....

bye

stephan
    Last edited by einhirsch; 03-20-2011 at 06:14 PM.

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by einhirsch View Post
    Hi,

someone out there successfully unzipped the files? I get this strange error everytime I try to unzip it. I'm using Winzip 15 on a Win7 system....

bye

stephan
    Mind translating the error? My german sucks. :P

My Cars
    `09 525dE61, `05 325ci
    Dracon, it is: invalid packing format to apply requested operation.......Would appreciate an idea, cause got the same...

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    no error for me,works a treat

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Please try and download and reinstall winzip from www.winzip.com.

I've had a couple people download that archive and decompress it without any problems, so I don't think it's an archive issue.

You can also try unpacking with another archiver program like BitZipper and I believe 7Zip now supports zipx format.

My Cars
    2006 BMW E87
    Yes, thanks. I tried Bitzipper...this is the result. ;-( First it does not see the single parts of the multipart-archive and after renaming it hates the compression format....

I guess there was a error while downloading the archive....so I will try to download it again.....any other suggestions?

bye

stephan
    Last edited by einhirsch; 03-20-2011 at 06:15 PM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW E87
    höhöhö..... ;-) Solution: unzip to fat32 volumes don't work because of the file size limitation. you have to use ntfs volumes ;-)

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by einhirsch View Post
    höhöhö..... ;-) Solution: unzip to fat32 volumes don't work because of the file size limitation. you have to use ntfs volumes ;-)
    Ah, I never would have thought of that, yes FAT32 has a 4gb file size limit. The VMDK file is 23gb total so you have to use NTFS as your filesystem to put the files on.

I'm quite shocked people still use FAT32?! :P
    Last edited by dracon; 03-20-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast