Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Cipher Auto Racing Seats !!!

My Cars
    95 325is, 04 M3, 740il

My New Cipher Auto Racing Seats !!!

So I was bored one day at work and began looking around for some racing seats for my E46 BMW M3. I got tired of my stock M3 seats not being able to hold me snug during Auto X time. So I was on Horsepowerfreaks.com looking at their wide selection of racing seats and stumbled upon a racing seat that I had never heard of. It was Cipher Auto. They had a pretty decent large selection of racing seats at a very great price, but of course cheap doesn't always mean good. So I did a google search in regards to their company. I couldn't find any negative feedback in regards to their products and service so that was a plus for me. I vistited their website http://www.cipherauto.com/index.php?main_page=index looked around some more on their selection of racing harnesses and mounting brackets and then got on the phone and gave them a call. I talked to Edward who was very kind to me and explained how long they have been doing business for and how their operation worked. I was satisfied, so I placed an order with them for two CPA1019s Black Cloth w/ Suede Insert & Grey Outer Stitching Cipher Auto Racing Seats which is $369.99 with free shipping which was wonderful and I also bought the necessary custom made mounting bracket for my car for $189.00 which has three levels of height adjustment. Then I made an order for a pair of Cipher Racing Black 4 Point Camlock Quick Release Racing Harness Set at $99.99. So far I spent $658.98 and got a complete racing seat system. That total amount was less than one Sparco or Recardo racing chair. I was very pleased with my purchase and couldn't wait to get in my order. It's free shipping and they processed my order extremely fast. Now I got the racing seats in well before the custom made mounting brackets so I went ahead and put the seats together. I got both seats put together in less than an hour. They were super comfy and I fell in love with the quality of the cloth and suede fabric.
    A little less then a week later I got in the mounting bracket and started getting to work putting them in the car. I didn't bother reading instruction because the brackets were assembled and labeled for my convenience. I just removed my stock seats, placed the mounting brackets on the floor adjusted them at the lowest height bolted them to the seat bracket, bolted those in and bolted the mounting bracket to the floor. Easy easy easy. I was extremely pleased with the quality. Now when I say cheap doesn't always mean good... well these seats are fantastic!!! Super comfy and it held me in very well. So all in all, Cipher Auto makes outstanding race seats and these just made a world of difference on weight, safety and performance.

My Cars
    11 135i DCT, 01 325ci 5m
    I very much like your interior! The seats are a nice addition to it.
    Life's simple--You make choices and you don't look back._____Linea Corse Z2S 19x8.5/9.5 et30/22.5 235/35//255/30 T1Rs

My Cars
    2008 335i coupe MT6
    sweet!!!! I would totally do that! they look awesome. Do you get any warning lights from not having airbags in the seats? will the work with factory seatbelts?if not, can you install harnesses w/out a roll cage? details man, please!
    2008 CPO 335i, MT6,Cobb AP, AFE CAI,ER/Tial Diverter pipe/BOV,BMW Performance flat bottom steering wheel,H&R Sway bars,Reiger trunk spoiler

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    Wow. I wish I had moneys
    Now they dropping and yelling, it's a tad too late, Nate K and Rayzah Blade had to regulate.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her." ~W.C. Fields
    Two tone leather boots, CF B&R emblems, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED sidemarkers, CF interior layout, Suwoo highbeam bowls
    Rooted Droid2 running stock overclocked to 600 MHz

My Cars
    2004 645 convertible
    Not my style, but they do look really good! They really fit your car.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330cic
    They do look good..only thing i would be worried about is the quality of the mounting brackets..the tabs for the 3 height adjustments look think and made out of cheaper metal..i could be wrong but as far as a seat to race in those brackets don't look up to par?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Looks good. Well done. What did you do about the SRS airbag light?

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    95 325is, 04 M3, 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwill831 View Post
    sweet!!!! I would totally do that! they look awesome. Do you get any warning lights from not having airbags in the seats? will the work with factory seatbelts?if not, can you install harnesses w/out a roll cage? details man, please!
    I did get SRS light only because the seats were removed. There are ways to eliminate this with 3.3 Ohm resistors. But I'm looking to take out all the airbags because I only track this car. Trying to get the weight down. So Ill just be taking out the SRS light bulb out the cluster lol. Can car less about airbags.. not going anywhere with that 4 point harness.

As far as the 4 point harness goes... yes you can mount them with out roll cage. Just bolt them to where the rear passenger seat belts bolt holes are. The bands are way long enough to reach.

The mounting bracket looks like it can transfer over the seats belt but who knows, didn't even bother looking at that. I'm sure its possible because they have a place specially made for stock seat belt spot.

Quote Originally Posted by VA330CIC View Post
    They do look good..only thing i would be worried about is the quality of the mounting brackets..the tabs for the 3 height adjustments look think and made out of cheaper metal..i could be wrong but as far as a seat to race in those brackets don't look up to par?
    Trust me, thin metal I don't think so... These things are custom built freaking looking like cast iron aluminum. I was curious and I took a hammer to it.... nothing. Then I took my multimaster to try to cut it down to only one adjustment hole. I couldn't even do that. Mounting brackets definitely made to par! Super tuff. The car moves when I shake the seat

Quote Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
    Not my style, but they do look really good! They really fit your car.

Thanks man. I love em

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin325ci View Post
    I very much like your interior! The seats are a nice addition to it.

Thank you bro!

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Looks good. Well done. What did you do about the SRS airbag light?

Planning to take out all the airbags. Car is pretty much only track car.

Looking to eliminate SRS bulb out of the cluster

Only warning light I get
    Last edited by JESrour; 02-28-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46M

Let's trade cars.
    You can rip the airbags out of mine or whatever, I don't care. It'll be lighter without that gorgeous S54 engine anyway....

My Cars
    95 325is, 04 M3, 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kBMW3Series View Post

Let's trade cars.
    You can rip the airbags out of mine or whatever, I don't care. It'll be lighter without that gorgeous S54 engine anyway....
    Hahaha thank you man, you are true about the lighter part. Your car is an excellent daily driver. Its clean

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Hockey tape works on the inside of cluster...for an easy delete.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2001 325i, 2002 X5 3.0i
    Does cast iron aluminum have the strength of iron but the weight of aluminum? I keeeed, I keeeed!

Nice looking seats, bro. Any idea how much of a weight savings you are getting out of these, versus OEM?

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    I'd assume you're loosing about 20-30 pounds per seat.

Anyways, you can mount a 4-Point racing harness that actually clips into the rear buckles of the seats...so you can install them and remove them while auto-xing, and don't need to worry about the bolting.

You should remove the lower rear seats and just tear that out. No need for that to be there as well. There is alot of weight savings that you can still do. Keep it up.
    Last edited by M0nK3y; 03-01-2011 at 01:44 PM.

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    95 325is, 04 M3, 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Hockey tape works on the inside of cluster...for an easy delete.
    Yup, that’s how I will be performing this delete mod

Quote Originally Posted by slowlanemcvane View Post
    Does cast iron aluminum have the strength of iron but the weight of aluminum? I keeeed, I keeeed!

Nice looking seats, bro. Any idea how much of a weight savings you are getting out of these, versus OEM?
    Both mounting brackets shipped with a weight of 10.39 lbs they are pretty light

I would assume the same numbers as mentioned of 20-30 lbs at least

Quote Originally Posted by M0nK3y View Post
    I'd assume you're loosing about 20-30 pounds per seat.

Anyways, you can mount a 4-Point racing harness that actually clips into the rear buckles of the seats...so you can install them and remove them while auto-xing, and don't need to worry about the bolting.

You should remove the lower rear seats and just tear that out. No need for that to be there as well. There is alot of weight savings that you can still do. Keep it up.
    Thank you man! There are tons of things I can do. Going for the airbags first then see what else can be done trying to keep a Manageable look making it very efficient at the same time.

Spray on carpet maybe
    Last edited by JESrour; 03-01-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46
    Have these seats ever been crash tested? The style and price are great but I wouldn't want to cheap out on safety.

EDIT: Here is the Australian Vehicle Standard crash test report: http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41895
    The Austrailian Seat standards are listed in the report and it appears they can be 9.8 times weaker than the US standard?
    The US requires:
    20 times the mass of the seat
    in kilograms multiplied by 9.8 applied
    in a forward longitudinal direction.
    Also in backward and sideways longitudinal direction I believe.

DOT seat Standards for anyone curious: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...cfr571.207.pdf
    Last edited by BenBMW94; 03-02-2011 at 03:59 PM.

My Cars
    95 325is, 04 M3, 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBMW94 View Post
    Have these seats ever been crash tested? The style and price are great but I wouldn't want to cheap out on safety.

EDIT: Here is the Australian Vehicle Standard crash test report: http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41895
    The Austrailian Seat standards are listed in the report and it appears they can be 9.8 times weaker than the US standard?
    The US requires:
    20 times the mass of the seat
    in kilograms multiplied by 9.8 applied

in a forward longitudinal direction.
    Also in backward and sideways longitudinal direction I believe.

DOT seat Standards for anyone curious: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...cfr571.207.pdf

lol you posted on my other thread as well.....

I'm going to go ahead and give Cipher Auto a call so I can ease your mind about there saftey standards and well as FIA approval.

My Race shop only does full blown race cars and they were impressed by the seats....

http://www.matthews-auto.com/PostNuke/

My Cars
    E46
    Ya I put it on e46 fanatics aswell too see what peoples opinions were on the strenth of the seats. I dont want to end up buying a seat that will snap in half and twist up in a crash like the "knock off" seats do lol. But i've seen nothing but positive reviews so I will be ordering a pair in the not so distant future!

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    I HATE THE SERVERS ON THIS GODDAM SITE

Here's an abridged version of what I just wrote:
    I like your carpets, strip down doors as they are heavy as hell.
    Now they dropping and yelling, it's a tad too late, Nate K and Rayzah Blade had to regulate.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her." ~W.C. Fields
    Two tone leather boots, CF B&R emblems, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED sidemarkers, CF interior layout, Suwoo highbeam bowls
    Rooted Droid2 running stock overclocked to 600 MHz

My Cars
    '03 330i M-Sport
    Any reason why you think that your no name replica of type r civic seats are any better then your factory seats.

These seats are no name china crap, no certification, no testing nothing. The seat rails arent probably even TUV approved nor are the seats. No info is given what so ever by the company.

But I guess they go very well with your show car as long as you dont leave the trailer, lol.
    Last edited by Blocked Out; 03-02-2011 at 09:10 PM.

My Cars
    E46
    I posted the test results of these seats if you read the thread...

My Cars
    E46M
    Blocked out:
    Who cares? These seats look EXTREMELY comfortable to me.....I'd throw mine out for these any day of the week.

OP:
    Thanks man, but I do love the Alpine White ///Ms....ah, someday that'll be my daily driver.
    Some day when I live in Florida or something...

My Cars
    95 325is, 04 M3, 740il
    Ya I put it on e46 fanatics aswell too see what peoples opinions were on the strenth of the seats. I dont want to end up buying a seat that will snap in half and twist up in a crash like the "knock off" seats do lol. But i've seen nothing but positive reviews so I will be ordering a pair in the not so distant future!

Let me know when you want to order. I now have access to Group buy.

Was actually going to start one in the next month or so after I spread the word.

I will also be getting Safety features and other information as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NDubSki View Post
    I HATE THE SERVERS ON THIS GODDAM SITE

Here's an abridged version of what I just wrote:
    I like your carpets, strip down doors as they are heavy as hell.

I'm in the process brother

Quote Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
    Any reason why you think that your no name replica of type r civic seats are any better then your factory seats.

These seats are no name china crap, no certification, no testing nothing. The seat rails arent probably even TUV approved nor are the seats. No info is given what so ever by the company.

But I guess they go very well with your show car as long as you dont leave the trailer, lol.

lol every company got to start somewhere good sir.

Like I said, my Race shop are impressed by the seats.
    http://www.matthews-auto.com/PostNuke/

Blocked out:
    Who cares? These seats look EXTREMELY comfortable to me.....I'd throw mine out for these any day of the week.

OP:
    Thanks man, but I do love the Alpine White ///Ms....ah, someday that'll be my daily driver.
    Some day when I live in Florida or something...

Thank you 2kBMW3Series

This is what they responded back to me regarding saftey the Cipher Auto Racing seats

The seats are not FIA approved. From what I understand, almost all FIA approved seats are full-on bucket seats. There is another distributor of the seats that is located in Australia that did go through their local testing, it’s called ADR approval. We also have our seat frame pictures from the factory that we’ve posted around. The thickness of the frame is thicker than most standard seats within our price range. I’ve also compared it to another factory that is heavily used and ours is noticeable beefier. We are planning to come out with double adjustment versions of our racing seats within the next month – month and a half which should also be a bit stiffer structurally.
    Last edited by JESrour; 03-03-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '03 330i M-Sport
    No FIA approval = no racing seats. The website that sells them doesnt specify any info about them, although they have alot of RACING words in the description.

Either they are ABE/TUV certified for street use or they are FIA certified. No other way about it. That link is og Australian Design Rules (ADR) this has nothing to do with the fact that they pass structural safety tests recognized around the world.
    Blocked out:
    If you're willing to sacrifice safety for looks you can go ahead. Seats are a very important piece of safety equipment in your car. You should never compromise safety for looks. I dont get why anyone would.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330 xi
    Quote Originally Posted by JESrour View Post

If were my car I would not change the seats, but if you like its ok. Nice car !!!

My Cars
    95 325is, 04 M3, 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanhoe View Post
    If were my car I would not change the seats, but if you like its ok. Nice car !!!
    Thanks... Well Cipher auto seats are alot more snug for my taste.

And I put my M3 seats in my 325is

SO got the best of both worlds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast