Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 540i osv oil catch can conversion

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible

540i osv oil catch can conversion

So as you guys know I replaced every seal and the Ccv in my intake system and I still get random smoke on startup and have pulled off the throttle body and my manifold is coated in oil and pooled in the middle. The oil separator valve (osv) is the only part I haven't replaced and it is located behind the timing chain, 23 hours to get to it and replace it by the book. I do plan on getting to it eventually and do my timing guides at the same with all gaskets. But for the time being I'm planning on removing the aluminum tube between the crank case vent valve (Ccv) and the timing cover where the oil separator valve (osv) is located and putting a oil catch can system in, probly run a tube out and over to the free space by the oil filter and put some ricer Honda catch can in. I'll drain it manually whenever necessary but it should work for now until I get the $1800 together to do the real job. Any input or recommendations on a catch can system to use would be great. Heck if it works well enough, I might never do the real job

MAIN CONCEPT ---- 9/19/11 after 20k with the catch can no smoke. Tap the oil return and you dont even have to drain the can! JUst make sure the can is mounted high up. Mine is on the shock tower bolt

Last edited by bmwhiteman; 09-19-2011 at 03:11 AM.
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Consider a couple of Rislone treatments before the catch can. It may loosen up the Oil Separator.

Have you thought about gummed-up oil rings? If they are, you'll get oil in the combustion chamber.
    Last edited by edjack; 02-23-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    I've tried tons of additives. Believe me it's not letting go. Tried risalone, seafoam, berrymans, Lucas, and some other crap. What oil rings are you talkin about, please dont tell me valve guides, seals, or piston rings. This engine only has 110k. My M60 with 240k didn't consume a drop. Oil pooling in the intake to this degree isolates the problem to the pcv system. Thanks for the input tho
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    So I just jumped the gun and got this one.

http://www.esetuning.com/42-Draft-Designs-Stealth-Oil-Catch-Can-p/CCU-021.htm

3/4" inlet and outlet. I'm guessing the hardest part is gonna be routing the line to it. Probly gonna need braided line cause it's gonna be making some pretty hard bends

My Cars
    E39 540i6, f30 328ix
    can you post a diy or even just pictures? i dont have the puff of blue smoke but i think the OSV on mine is shot. if i can temp-fix this issue, it would be awesome till i have the time to tear apart the engine.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    poolman

I believe he made a catch-can for his I6 e39.

Wait for him to post in this thread or drop him a PM.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    The oil catch can I made is for the 6 cylinder--I'm not familar with the 540 8 cylinder
    engine. The oil seperator valve thats in your car--are they in the 6 cylinder cars?
    I don't know how the deal I concockted would work for you with the V8--but it's still working on mine--knock on wood that is.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    The oil catch can I made is for the 6 cylinder--I'm not familar with the 540 8 cylinder
    engine. The oil seperator valve thats in your car--are they in the 6 cylinder cars?
    I don't know how the deal I concockted would work for you with the V8--but it's still working on mine--knock on wood that is.
    I would estimate a 75% chance this early-Fall I will proceed with the catch-can solution and burn my CCV in a firepit celebration. I'll call unto thee before I do so; I cannot replace another CCV in my car whether with my own hands or checkbook.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    I just bought 6' of braided oil line from my local tuning shop. it was $9 a foot. im hoping this will turn out well im going to leave my CCV intact, just replace the aluminum tube that runs front to back with a tube running out of the "V" to the catch can which I will tie into the mount for the power steering reservoir. While I was at the tuner shop I got stoked on all the electric fan conversion kits they had and the oil cooler kits. It would be so easy to tie an oil cooler in on one of the braided lines to the oil filter housing, i dont know why no one has ever done that. I will take pictures. I already know this will require me to remove the intake manifold. Im lucky to have a 30 yr ase master tech as a college instructor. He is unbelievable handy with this stuff and is willing to try all his ideas on my car lol
    Last edited by bmwhiteman; 02-23-2011 at 08:34 PM.

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    I'll try to help you with what ever on the catch can idea. I made my own can from
    parts picked up from Lowes hardware--it's a piece of PVC 4 inch diameter tube
    that I cut down to 6 inches in length--then two 4 inch caps glued down on each end
    with grommets on the top side for the pvc and the other part for the angled hoes connector. The side with the pvc goes to you vacuum sorce and the other side hooks to your crankcase side--where the ccv hooked into. Thats just about it--the catch can is hollow and has never been more than about a 1/2 inch of fluid found in there.
    On the oil cooler--these cars could use some cooling like that--will be very interested in what your findings may be.

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    thanks for the support! ill post updates on it as I go. as for the oil cooler, I heard that one guy whose gone through 3 motors trying to get rid of his M62 knock say that he wanted to tap the oil pan for an oil cooler, it seems like tying into the oil filter lines is a much better engineered idea, id mount it in some of the free space behind my M bumper grill, maybe even duct a channel over it, my car only knocks loud when the oil is hot, after canyon runs and such so if I can keep it cool like it is during non redline driving, then is should significantly reduce the knock noise.

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    So I finished installing my oil catch can very, very early this morning and Im very excited to say..... THE SMOKE IS GONE!! I cant believe I almost dropped $1800 to have the separator done when the fix is this simple for under $200. heres some teaser pics

just chopped the fitting out of the old aluminum tube

Last edited by bmwhiteman; 03-04-2011 at 02:18 AM.

My Cars
    2002 530i
    so in theory could this replace the problem ridden ccv system all together and give us one less headache

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Na we discovered that the stock CCV is needed. We tried a conventional PCV valve and the engine pulled WAYY too much vacuum and filled my catch can in under 30 miles. the best setup would be to plug the OSV at the timing cover and tap into that plugged fitting on the top back of the driver side valve cover. The ccv isnt hard to get out once I did the 10mm bolt conversion. takes like 10 min.

heres how much oil my car had in the catch can after 75 miles of no smoking this all would have been in the intake
    Last edited by bmwhiteman; 03-04-2011 at 02:19 AM.

My Cars
    01/1999 540iT 6speed
    If you really have the problem with your Oil Separator, you should just replace it. If you need any help, i could probably help out and i also have a tool to hold down the crank in place while removing the Jesus bolt lol.

Current: 01/1999 540iT Wagon 6speed swapped
    Parting: 06/2001 740i sport..PARTING OUT
    Sold: 01/2001 740i Sport
    Sold: 1999 540i/6speed black on black sport
    First BMW: 1997 540i (said goodbyes to her on 02/23/2012 after complete part out..326K miles on the clock)
    A redline a day will keep the repairs away

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    I do have the problem with the separator and was actually thinking of asking you to help me do my timing guides and such wile im in there, if its quick enough might as well do those wrist pin bushings. You seem to be very quick and knowledgeable with the M62. Money would be involved of course Or a gruppe M intake in youre interested
    Last edited by bmwhiteman; 03-04-2011 at 02:41 AM.

My Cars
    01/1999 540iT 6speed
    doing wrist pin bushings would require you to pull the engine out, completely disassemble it and then put everything back together. If you are up for that, im sure you can count on my help.

btw, you are going to the SD meet between the 20th and 25th..right?
    Last edited by E39bmw; 03-04-2011 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Current: 01/1999 540iT Wagon 6speed swapped
    Parting: 06/2001 740i sport..PARTING OUT
    Sold: 01/2001 740i Sport
    Sold: 1999 540i/6speed black on black sport
    First BMW: 1997 540i (said goodbyes to her on 02/23/2012 after complete part out..326K miles on the clock)
    A redline a day will keep the repairs away

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Would like to report that after 1000 miles, still no smoke. The can does fill fairly quickly so I would like to find a way to drain it back to the pan. This presents a few issues. If the drainback was always open, it would pull vacuum and clog things or pull oil out of the sump. The tube in question is the 3rd line coming off the oil filter housing, the non-braided, smaller diameter black one. What does that tube do? I could put a valve inbetween so all I would have to do is open the valve at night and it would drain back during the night, then close the valve in the morning and go on my way. It is a little wierd but im not gonna spend 2k on this little issue right now

EDIT---- the smaller black line I'm talking about here is the perfect line to tap into! Doesn't even need a valve. I have it open all the time and it doesn't pull vacuum
    Last edited by bmwhiteman; 09-19-2011 at 02:48 AM.

My Cars
    1999 540iA Sport (11/98)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwhiteman View Post
    I could put a valve inbetween so all I would have to do is open the valve at night and it would drain back during the night, then close the valve in the morning and go on my way.

How about a 12v solenoid valve that closes when the car is turned on and opens when the car is turned off?

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Hivolt540 View Post
    How about a 12v solenoid valve that closes when the car is turned on and opens when the car is turned off?
    you are a genius. find me a link to the said switch? seems like a summit racing kind of thing

My Cars
    523se e39
    could you attach a pipe and drain into the dipstick hole?

My Cars
    1999 540iA Sport (11/98)
    What you would want to find is 12vdc normally open, 2 way, spring return, continuous duty, oil compatible, with whatever pipe size openings would attach to your drain line. This one may work if the openings are ok but may be a bit overkill
    http://www.wincofp.com/index.aspx?pa...2VDC&catID=211
    I will keep looking, what size pipe fittings do you need on it?

My Cars
    e34, e39
    Alfa's have had an oil separator for years. Thy have a small tube that drains back to the dipstick tube and plugs in there. I'm sure you could do something similar.

Unfortunately this whole thread makes me think I shouldn't have had a V8.
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    But the dipstick is under crankcase vacuum. It also has to be a lower point than the drain on my catch can. im thinking this tube #15. I would still need a valve on it but I really dont mind popping the hood to open the valve at night so it can drain.

EDIT---- once again # 15 is the ticket! T into it with a brass fitting and it works perfect
    Last edited by bmwhiteman; 09-19-2011 at 02:49 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 840 Ci
    Hi Everyone,

Just joined and i'm looking to do the catch tank conversion to a M60 v8. My only question is, do you need to place a bung in the PCV connector where the aluminium tube would have attached onto? Or is it ok to leave this open?

Thanks

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast