Thread: D Unit's e28...

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36

D Unit's e28...

I know everyone here likes pictures so allow me to share.

Here's the college kid posting it for sale on Craigs about 6 months ago. He wanted $2,500 for it, but we negotiated to $2,200 even though he had the ///M badge on the grill. I honestly didn't know if that was a good deal or not since I had no clue about these cars. Six months later, I still have no clue... The car came with a faded paint job, style 5s, a bad idle, a sloppy gear box, old school Recaros, reeked of gas, and life threatening brakes.

The first thing I did was replace the Recaros with more comfortable e34 seats. Now, I know A LOT of people like the Recaros, but since I'm older now and don't give a fuck how fast (more slow) this car goes, I wanted comfort. Two or 3 weeks after I bought the car, I found a guy on Craigs selling these seats for $250... not bad, but I wish they were black.

After that, the car pretty much sat in the garage for the last 5 months. I guess I valued my life too much rather than risking my life on the poor brakes. Then I took it to Edge Motorworks because I thought I had the brake bomb problem, but once it was on the lift, they told me the car required too much work so I was about to dump it. Luckily, I took it over to derrith's (Logan) shop at Performance Technic, and he convinced me all I needed to do was give it a nice tune up and replace some rubber. If you're looking for a Bay Area mechanic, do yourself a favor and see Logan at Performance Technic. When I brought my car to his shop, it literally died in their driveway and we had to push it into the garage. 30 minutes later, Logan fixed my vacuum leak, rough idle, and welded my muffler that was hanging on by a thread. This shop gets an A+ in my book.

With good news from Logan last month, I feel my e28 just had a rebirth which gives me the green signal for more modification.

So, I had to grab some BBS Rs 211s 16x8 et11...

Nice looking 2" slant lips...

give her a bath...

paint and lipo the bumpers... the front is still drying as I type.
    This tool came in real handy to compress the front and rear shocks.

And the latest pic still waiting for several more coats of plasti-dip on the front bumper--US front air dam minus chrome diving board.

And, wouldn't be cool if I could go a little bit lower and find a set of SPAX springs? I did. Now it just got to finish stripping off the tint, refinish the wheels, buy new tires, get ALL my maintenance done at Performance Technic, and slam it. Woo hoo...
    Last edited by D Unit; 02-21-2011 at 10:24 PM.

My Cars
    '74 tii, '85 & '86 535i
    Looks like you've been busy. Nice work!
    John in VA
    BMW CCA member
    National Capital Chapter
    '74 tii "Juanita"
    '85 535i "Goldie"
    '86 535i "M-POSSTR"
    '00 328i "Fern"
    '03 530i "Titan"

My Cars
    '12 Caterham
    sweet! looks nice, good find, looks to be in decent shape. were those manual recaros? if so... I'd really be interested in them if you haven't already sold them... logan's a beast haha, get's shit done! are you going to 5erwest?

good buy for 2200, it'll look nice with those spax installed. welcome back to the addiction.
    Last edited by 320 bimmer; 02-21-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Be a part of racing history - http://www.gofundme.com/TorMcIlroyRacing2013 and help me race in 2013.

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320i Century Turbo
    hey i remember you. or i mean, your car. i tried to help out with lip sizing on your car, and spring choices over on stanceworks.

i want your headlights!!!

STOP PM'ING ME ABOUT MY WHEELS
    -Crager D-window , 17x8 et0 (then add 12mm spacers up front and 15mm spacers in the rear). falken ziex 912 205/40/17

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36
    Quote Originally Posted by 320iCar View Post
    hey i remember you. or i mean, your car. i tried to help out with lip sizing on your car, and spring choices over on stanceworks.

i want your headlights!!!
    Thanks for helping me out. What size and offset are your diamonds? Those are 18s, right? You just reminded me, I just bought 18s too (18x9 et24). Herra flush...

My Cars
    '05 Cooper S & '88 535is
    Car looks great, nice progress. Cant wait to see the 18x9's on...

What are guys' SN's over on stanceworks?

My Cars
    '12 Caterham
    No seats?

Are you sure you wanna go with 18s? 18 is really big for an e28. 17 is just about right for an e28.
    Last edited by 320 bimmer; 02-23-2011 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Be a part of racing history - http://www.gofundme.com/TorMcIlroyRacing2013 and help me race in 2013.

My Cars
    no, my wheels are Cragar D-windows. 17x8 et0.

and 18's, if done properly, can look good. there are a few e28's running them that look awesome. but they are usually laying frame.

-Crager D-window , 17x8 et0 (then add 12mm spacers up front and 15mm spacers in the rear). falken ziex 912 205/40/17

My Cars
    1989 Yugo W rear defrost
    History dictates that people only sell these cars when they are beat up under the hood. Suspension shot engine tired gear box noisy trunk leaks ect..
    You went backwards on the seats at least the first ones kinda looked like sports seats then you went with seats for a fat butt guy. The steering wheel has got to go and the "shifter ball"
    Can't quite tell is that a 533i with spoilers bolted on it. Looks as if the rear spoiler is in just a little to good of shape meaning it does not match the shot paint of the rest of the trunk lid.

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammed740 View Post
    Car looks great, nice progress. Cant wait to see the 18x9's on...

What are guys' SN's over on stanceworks?
    D Unit over there too...

Quote Originally Posted by 320 bimmer View Post
    No seats?

Are you sure you wanna go with 18s? 18 is really big for an e28. 17 is just about right for an e28.
    My primary rims wills be the 16" BBS Rs... I only bought the 18s as change of pace rims.

Quote Originally Posted by 320iCar View Post
    no, my wheels are Cragar D-windows. 17x8 et0.

and 18's, if done properly, can look good. there are a few e28's running them that look awesome. but they are usually laying frame.
    I admit 18s are too big, but again, they are just spare rims.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbimmerguy View Post
    History dictates that people only sell these cars when they are beat up under the hood. Suspension shot engine tired gear box noisy trunk leaks ect..
    You went backwards on the seats at least the first ones kinda looked like sports seats then you went with seats for a fat butt guy. The steering wheel has got to go and the "shifter ball"
    Can't quite tell is that a 533i with spoilers bolted on it. Looks as if the rear spoiler is in just a little to good of shape meaning it does not match the shot paint of the rest of the trunk lid.
    My car is an 85, so one of the previous owners added the IS spoiler and air dam. The steering wheel is going, but it hasn't been so easy finding a coarse spline steering wheel.

My Cars
    '05 Cooper S & '88 535is
    Car looks great, I can dig it. I need to get me a set of Spax springs to bring the car down a bit.

Those old school recaros looked pretty nice, Im jealous. I found 320icar over on S:W so ill probably see you around as well if youre over there. My SN there is Slow_Ballin'

Keep this updated, I am a fan!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il Aspen Silver, 2005 X5 Titanium Grey
    Lookin good......

My Cars
    e39 m5
    any updates?

My Cars
    eff you, i want an update! haha

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36
    Sometimes you gotta go backwards before you go forwards...

The car is a mess right now. I began doing body work and plan to prep it for paint myself. The only question is, how much prep am I willing to do?! Our 2 kids takes 110% of our time, so it's going to be difficult finding the time to finish. So far, I've only sanded the air dam, roof, and redid the bondo work on the fender.

To keep my spirits up, I bought some audio equipment for a budget install--key word is "budget." The only "cool" thing that might be unique to the e28 is my attempt to mount the subwoofer infinite baffle behind the rear seat. I finished my amp rack last night and it's pretty ghetto, oops, I mean stealth.
    • US Acoustic USX-4085 (Zed made) -
    • PPI 356c Xovers
    • Dayton rs125 ($30 each)
    • Seas Neo Tweets ($30 each)
    • 12" Tidal Sub (rebadged Image Dynamics sub)

My Cars
    Nice progress so far!

My Cars
    e39 m5
    very nice, please show us how you did your audio install. I am very interested in learning.

My Cars
    87' 535is
    Damn, I remember when you posted that over on Mye28(assuming my mind isn't on the fritz...) that thing cleaned up freakin nice. Been meaning to visit Logan's shop, haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nearly ot, but to you still have those recaros? Just curious really...