Thread: Cheap USB J2534 cable with arm chip works as passthru

My Cars
    e23's, e28, e38, e39

Cheap USB J2534 cable with arm chip works as passthru

Originally bought this to use on my acura mdx with honda hds software:

http://www.cnecutool.net/productshow...ortsid=&sorts=

It's made by xhorse. ARM chip inside for j2534. USB serial part is by the ftdi chip. I got it to work on e38 and e39, both, inpa and dis. Expect it to work on CAN as well. Need to borrow a newest bmw model to examine the opportunity!

Discovered it works with toyota diagnostic software as well.
    It's also sold for volvo by them.

I installed their volvo, honda, and toyota drivers (windows msi's) and seems none makes any difference, all work with the bmw pass thru tool. (The honda setup installs a virtual network device and slowed windows down so if you are not doing honda then don't install that version).

After installing the latest bmw passthru software to my windows, I copied the contents of that install to the ediabas\bin directory (probably not really necessary but seemed cleaner simpler to do that). I set ediabas.ini with std:passthrud and the obd.ini to whatever serial port the ftdi selected and usb as well. Remember to bump the latency of the com port down to one. Remember to run obdsetup and reboot. you can configure the passthrud.ini manually or use the configuration tool to select the xhorse passthru driver "flavor".

cheap cheap cheap find! much cheaper than mongoose, activa, etc.
    Last edited by IPM; 05-16-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: addendum
    IPM

My Cars
    V40
    HI
    I have a request. I readed on some forum that you are the owner of X-Horse mni-vci. I'm the owner of Volvo and I need to buy this interface but I can't find on the producer website any information about drivers?? I have a question?? When you install this drivers it was wrote that was drivers for volvo vida?? Eventually can you tell me what was the name of this file with drivers to volvo? Can you sent me some screen capture from instalation process??Please reply on this email: piotr.golawski@gmail.com
    Thanks for reply .

Bye.

My Cars
    Yes ,really true ,but ..
    Last edited by geoa; 07-20-2012 at 08:37 AM.

My Cars
    Renault Clio
    Hi I have this interface, working great on Toyota Honda and Volvo, it would be great if it works on BMW too, which passthru driver you used? Can you provide a link? Thanks

My Cars
    e23's, e28, e38, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by tatarimoke View Post
    Hi I have this interface, working great on Toyota Honda and Volvo, it would be great if it works on BMW too, which passthru driver you used? Can you provide a link? Thanks
    1) use the driver that came with the device.
    2) configure ediabas as a passthru that points to the driver.

yeas it's that easy. Tough if you have never configured before.
    Regarding bmw passthru files, they are not drivers just files needed for ediabas to work, and I probably got them from bmwecu.org

Just passing a useful find along here and not interested in making supplying a tutorial, howto, etc. Plenty others have done so already so study try and learn!
    It works.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by IPM; 05-04-2011 at 02:14 AM.
    IPM

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    Very great information (of course after I buy the pricy Mongoose)!!! Thanks!

My Cars
    e87
    Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with this mongoose interface!!
    I installed the Mongoose drivers, installed BMW PTT driver 2.1.1.0, copied files from BMW Passthru folder to EDIABAS\BIN (passthru ini & dlls)
    I then used easykfp to set ini to OBD:PASSTHRUD but easykfp errors, it still changes ediabas.ini to std:passthru
    I did get it to read the car once but my SP daten was too old for the e71 i was connected to but since updating all I get is IFH-0003 error HOST/Interface Disturbed from ncs.
    Any help greatly appreciated

My Cars
    Rover 75
    Hi IPM,

can you share example of ediabas.ini?

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    e23's, e28, e38, e39
    no modification needed
    IPM

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    e23's, e28, e38, e39
    obd.ini to whatever serial port the ftdi selected and usb as well

I don't have copies of my ediabas or obd contents available, it's on an industrial laptop in my shop not connected to the internet
    IPM

My Cars
    This looks very promising, thanks for sharing, but I'm kind of lost here. Is this a j2534-compliant cable? Does that mean we don't have to use expensive pass thru tools? How can a single ARM chip with proper firmware handle that?

I'm interested in using official ISTA/P on bmwtechinfo.com with daily pass ($30/day). This online software expects a J2534 device. Will the BMW Pass thru configuration utility see that HDS cable as a supported device?

Note that official online version of ISTA/P is not expecting EDIABAS to be running at all so I'm not sure whether the .ini edit matters.

Any hints?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kinimod; 09-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    What do you mean "is"? J2534 is a standard. It is not a cable or brand.

My Cars
    e23's, e28, e38, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
    What do you mean "is"? J2534 is a standard. It is not a cable or brand.
    it is compliant
    IPM

My Cars
    e23's, e28, e38, e39
    I do believe these units are cheap copies of the Mongoose.

Here are some Mongoose reference pages.

http://www.drewtech.com/support/

Currently there are five variations of the Mongoose J2534 device:
    • Mongoose MFC (Import)
    • Mongoose ISO/CAN
    • Mongoose GM
    • Mongoose FORD
    • Mongoose-Chrysler
    Each of the 5 variations have different connector pin assignments. I believe I have been using the import version/variant chinese copy of the hardware. I've used the chinese supplied drivers. I've not experimented with the mongoose firmware or drivers.

I've attached a copy of the mongoose user manual which has info regarding differences in pinout assignments.

As a side note I noticed on the download page a 1210 api driver for heavy truck diagnostics but have not tried that with the mongoose clone

Mongoose reference page regarding OEM application
    http://www.drewtech.com/technician/support/oemapps.html
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by IPM; 03-04-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: more info
    IPM

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    e23's, e28, e38, e39
    The honda hds product and the chinese mfc mongoose product are the same hardware inside. Slightly different circuit board layout. All the same components. The hds has two wires added at the ftdi chip while the mfc does not. Don't know the significance of that. Both have LPC2119FBD64 microcontroller which has or is an embedded can controller. Now I wonder what can controller the real drew tech mongoose has inside?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPM

My Cars
    e23's, e28, e38, e39
    [QUOTE=IPM;23853228]I do believe these units are cheap copies of the Mongoose.QUOTE]

Ok, I had bought one of the chinese clones and upon install to a windows system the system id's it as M-VCI device so definately not a mongoose anything but in appearance. Just a chinese knockoff with a copied look.
    IPM

My Cars
    BMW
    you can give me one screenshot?

My Cars
    2002 E46 XIT build 3/02
    (Many!) Thanks to the OP for this post. My super cheap mini-vci j2534 (xhorse) works well with INPA and the BMW passthu driver on my XP laptop. For my 2002 E46 wagon I just had to jump pins 7 & 8 to get to BMWs K-line. Note that I copied all from the passthru install directory to ediabas/bin except for ediabas.ini. My mini-vci comes up on com5 which is what got placed in obd.ini.

My Cars
    Igor
    hi;

Have do you do pin modify