Thread: glove box

My Cars
    S52E30/06 X3 3.0

glove box

so i installed my long awaited and planned system today (pictures and description tomorrow) and when i was buttoning things up and putting my glove box back in, it wouldnt line up right. so i tryed unhooking it again and lining it up. it eventually lined up after some angry cohesion on my part, but when i went to open it up to make sure it was good. there was a damn ferby in there holding on to it and the handle was hard to pull so i figured oh ill just pull harder. none the less the handle cycled and the glove box was still closed. i broke the mechanism some how. any idea on how to get it open now? my registration and important stuff is in there. kiiinnndddaaa need that haha. and anyone got a spare box or handle?
    Last edited by scoops; 02-06-2011 at 11:21 PM.

My Cars
    E34, E60
    when i took mine apart i saw that the plastic holding the mechanism was starting to give away... i just promised myself to get a good one next time i'm at a junker and made a mental note on where to make a hole if i the plastic gave up with the thing closed... unfortunately i forgot exactly where...

but looking at any part diagram (or maybe you already ordered a new one) it should be pretty easy to see where to make a hole and then pull the metal tabs.

My Cars
    S52E30/06 X3 3.0
    well im just saying for pure purpose of needing my stuff in there how can i get it out. and is there anypne who has a spare or a pn if i gotta order one.

My Cars
    '95 540iA

Smile

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=511492

Good info there...

and also when my latch broke, all i did was clear away broken plastic from the handle to reveal two metal pivots (see link). one of them moves up into the latch and the other "J" shaped one moves to the side and then it should open.

Dont pry at the metal pivots because once those break you wont be able to show the cops proof of anything.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...51&fg=30&hl=67

theres that.

and the PN is this:

thats for the lower catch part (handle), you can prob save the upper catch part, and dont mess with the lock cylinder, the pins can fall out and screw it up.

EDIT: sorry, you will have to mess w/ the lock cylinder in order to reuse it, i kinda forgot how I kept the pins in. maybe if you keep the key in they wont fall out?

Last edited by paperplane94; 02-10-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Na
    the two clamps at the back that clamp onto the metal bars need to be undone, then you can probably pull the glove box off.

Swapping the key cylinder isnt that hard, its easier with two keys. Just keep the keys in at all times, if you dont have a 2nd key I'd suggest being very careful as the "wafers" as they are called, are spring loaded by tiny tiny springs. I forgot how many there are in total but there are offset to each other, meaning some are on one side of the cylinder, some are on the other.
    "...there’s nothing like the scream of an old straight six, a sound only comparable to a monster that eats children and rocks for breakfast and howls like a banshee when the loud-pedal is mashed." - Mike Burroughs

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    can you really pull out the glovebox by undoing the clamps.

I would think that it would still hold on the the metal carrier by the latch , unless the latch breaks off. Then theres two things to buy!

where is the OP in all this?
    OP!!!, OP!!!!!!!!!!! I kno your online !

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i
    I have an extra..... Send me a message.
    LatR
    * Discounted Price * Style 8 Wheels, Brembo Rotors, Stainless Brake Lines ETC. For Sale All New.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1#post21382181

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    oh my god, I just reread the OP's OP.

it is stuck in the locked position, not a broken off handle.
    *facepalm*.

i'm clueless

My Cars
    Na
    you should be able to still get the glove box down enough to release the two tabs on either side of the latch with some crafty arm and hand work?
    "...there’s nothing like the scream of an old straight six, a sound only comparable to a monster that eats children and rocks for breakfast and howls like a banshee when the loud-pedal is mashed." - Mike Burroughs

My Cars
    S52E30/06 X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by paperplane94 View Post
    can you really pull out the glovebox by undoing the clamps.

I would think that it would still hold on the the metal carrier by the latch , unless the latch breaks off. Then theres two things to buy!

where is the OP in all this?
    OP!!!, OP!!!!!!!!!!! I kno your online !
    sorrryy ! and no i already tryed to undo the clamps and get it out and it wouldnt. its not locked but the part that goes from the latch to the part which keeps it closed is fubar. i have two keys but i dont think ill need to replace the cylinder im just gonna dive into it tonight. thanks for the info