Thread: E90 Coding: Halogen Headlights to Xenon Headlights

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328XI

Thumbs up E90 Coding: Halogen Headlights to Xenon Headlights

Update: See post 9 for the solution.

Hey Guys,

First of all, I wanted to thank those for providing great information here on this forum in regards to coding. I was able to tackle my xenon conversion using a lot of tips pointed out here.

Just a recap of what I am doing:

I have an 07' e90 328xi that came stock with Halogen headlights. I decided to do an oem xenon headlight conversion.

The coding I did was adding the xenon headlight feature in the VO and then manually disabling the self levelling feature (Don't have it installed) that activates automatically when the xenon function is added.

I started the car up and voila, no errors and the car understands it's running with xenons. Now I expected that I will lose the high beam function as I don't have the bi xenon wired up, but I know that you can use ncs expert to tell the car to flash the halogen when high beams are activated.

Thanks to terraphantm for providing this info in regards to activating the halogens to also turn on when high beams are activated.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...01&postcount=8

The line called out in that link is : PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON

The problem is that the e90 FRM file does not have that line.
    I know some kind of line is used to disable the halogens, but this is where I am lost. I have attached a copy of my stock FRM code file (before xenons, but the lines are all the same).

I found these lines that I am not sure about and wanted to see if anyone knows what they mean and if they are in fact the line needed to code the halogen as high beam.

BI_XENON_FL_ABSCHALT_OPT
    wert_02

BI_XENON_BEI_LH
    nicht_aktiv

XENON_WIEDER_Z_AUS_PHASE
    wert_01

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
    wert_01

XENON_AL_VERBAUT
    nicht_aktiv

BI_XENON_VERBAUT
    nicht_aktiv

XENON_LI
    wert_01

XENON_WIEDERHOL_Z_OPT
    nicht_aktiv

Thanks again for your help. I really don't want to go back to stock, so I hope their is a solution.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DESI4LIFE10; 02-22-2011 at 11:00 PM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328XI
    :up:

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    looking at a euro FRM module, the following parameters are different from the ones you've listed:

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
    wert_01
    wert_03

XENON_AL_VERBAUT
    aktiv

BI_XENON_VERBAUT
    aktiv

XENON_LI
    wert_02

There might be more differences, I don't know. If I had to guess, adding the wert_03 to that first line I mentioned would do the trick
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-05-2011 at 06:30 PM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328XI
    Thanks for the reply.

I am going to try to get the latest frm copy after i did the xenon coding. I believe I noticed 2 options present under PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON as well.

I don't think we had any luck with that line unfortunately.

I was wondering if this line is the trick?
    BI_XENON_FL_ABSCHALT_OPT

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328XI
    Bump

My Cars
    honda
    Hey, I am new on these forum
    First sorry for bad english,
    I m tray to mount LCI fl on pre LCI E 70. This days I am working on coding and I think to you need to change:
    BI_XENON_BEI_LH to aktiv
    PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON to wert_02
    BI_XENON_VERBAUT to aktiv
    XENON_LI to wert_02
    I find this in FRM E70 preLCI.

My Cars
    328xi
    I have a 2007 328xi (build date 02/07) and I'm about to do this exact conversion and would like to know the answer as well. Also, I'm going to use OEM pre-lci US xenon housings, OEM ballasts and D1s bulbs, with adaptive modules (I have the OEM adaptive module as well, not to be confused with self-leveling). Did you use adaptive headlights? And if so, does the adaptive work? I understand self leveling won't as neither you nor I have installed the levelers on the suspension, I'm just curious if the adaptive part works if you have OEM adaptive modules. Thanks!

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Try changing your VO to a European one, and recoding the module if expertmode.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328XI
    Update:

Got the high beams to turn on again (Thanks DIMSUM).

It isn`t the same command line as the older models.

When you add the xenon lights in the VO option, this line gets updated to this:

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
    wert_02
    wert_03

With this setup, the high beams gets switched to your xenons and since we don`t have that bi-xenon wire setup, you lose the high beam feature. What you want to do is get the halogen bulb to be you high beam like old times.
    In order to do this, you need to first add the xenon option in the VO $522.
    If you start the car up after this, you will get the self leveling error because by default, the leveling feature is usually installed with the xenon lights.

No problem.
    Using ncs expert, go into the frm module and look for this line

AUTO_LWR_ENABLE
    aktiv

change it to

AUTO_LWR_ENABLE
    nicht_aktiv

To get the halogen bulb to act as high beams, change the line I outlined at the start of this post to this:

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
    wert_01
    wert_01

You must have both those lines there.

Voila, you have retrofitted your xenons. You can then tap the high beam wire (for your halogen) to your xenon shutter wire to get the bi-xenon feature.

This is for the bmw e90 cars (although it should be the same (not 100% sure) for the 1 series and X3).

Thanks guys for your help.

Disclaimer: Do it at your own risk. Vehicle coding should be done with the proper tools and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
    I have a 2007 328xi (build date 02/07) and I'm about to do this exact conversion and would like to know the answer as well. Also, I'm going to use OEM pre-lci US xenon housings, OEM ballasts and D1s bulbs, with adaptive modules (I have the OEM adaptive module as well, not to be confused with self-leveling). Did you use adaptive headlights? And if so, does the adaptive work? I understand self leveling won't as neither you nor I have installed the levelers on the suspension, I'm just curious if the adaptive part works if you have OEM adaptive modules. Thanks!
    So long as you have the adaptive module that comes with the headlights (judging by you post, you should have em) it should work.

A VO number does exist for just adaptive headlights (still need to add the xenon headlight VO $522). The VO code for adaptive headlights is $524 (according to the vo code list )

The adaptive feature takes angle readings from your steering wheel, which should do the trick (not 100% sure though). Hope this helps.
    Last edited by DESI4LIFE10; 02-22-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    328xi
    Wow, that's great! Good work.

My Cars
    07 E90 328i with coding
    Awesome guys! I can't wait to do this for someone or myself

My Cars
    328xi
    I hope you guys don't mind, but I linked this page to e90 forum, where some guys are doing great things aobut coding all sorts of good stuff in our e90 cars.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

My Cars
    08 E90 BMW 328i
    this is all good stuff but it will be too difficult as it will vary from year built, type of headlights used which will vary due to different codes needed to consistently convert the variables to every single year built and type of headlights used. also, you will need to have a local place to code and if im reading this correctly, hardwiring is still needed to keep your high beam functional along with this codes but you need to purchase the option on the VO for $522?

Another cheaper solution without having to spend $522 on VO option (plus all the OEM parts on headlights), hard wiring your high beam and to have the car coded is to convert with a simple PLUG n PLAY harness. This harness will released soon and its on final stages testing beta2 harness made by Damon and being tested on my car on Pre LCI car 2008 with Euro LCI headlights which are the hardest to convert since they have no high beams. the harness (beta 2) is literally small enough to easily fit between the headlight and car harness but may release beta 3 to make the wires short enough to create an adaptor type without seing any wires connected on the connectors. Otherwise, beta 2 will be released to the public as vendorsship is obtain or partnered with a retailer to sell the product.

The harness thus far plugs directly between your headlights and car harness less than a 1 lbs and less than 1 minute to install. Features:
    - error free on both pre lci halogen to pre lci xenon conversions, pre lci to Lci us specs, and pre lci to lci euro specs

- LCI conversions will include the corner delete LCI look (3 led lights on top lights up with park lights n others with side marker) is included but still need to hard wire one wire to side markers or corner delete coding such as the link orange dawg provided from e90 forum who is the same person who remotely did the corner delete on my car after i purchased the cable and installing his programs on a laptop. With teh simple hardwire that we provide maybe an easier route for those who cannot locally access someone who can offer the coding service.

- the harness can easily be remove without removing the bumper. therefore, if any malfunction of some sort, remove the harness and make any adjustments on the harness itself.

- works flawless with all model headlights where as coding, it will be different per year built and also type of headlights as euro specs lci will diffferent due to lack of high beams which enables the power for shutter

- if your car comes with auto leveling this will automatically be enabled with the harness as all functions your car came with and bixenon functionality, high beam, low beam will work as normal. the only one thats not functional is the AHL.

- The AHL function is not included on this retrofit as our car is not pre-wired and works on a separate wiring harness on the car. After research on teh AHL, we have decided to convert without this function as no one was willing to pay for the additional work plus based on our R&D, the AHL actually falls behind the car turning at high speed.. theres a reason why they offer non AHL in europe as many prefers this option. If you want to test for yourself, find a car with AHL, while parked turn the wheel one side and immediately turn the other direction and you will see how slow the AHL reacts to your steering. therefore, we decided to eliminate this option as we dont see a purpose.

Keep an eye out for release of beta 2 and possibly enhanced version beta 3 which either one will be actual product sold to the public within 30 days or less. this is a much easier way to offer a conversion as it can easily be transported via mail and direct plug and play here's a link to beta 1 which worked flawless but was too bulky of a box and has been downsized to 80% smaller (size of your palm) to possibly smaller (beta 3):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyApeFufvN8[/ame]

Beta 2 video will be released in two weeks as i need go back to stock for warranty work as i reach my last few hundred miles before my warranty expires.

MY OEM Conversion (oem ballast, OEM d1s, LED angels, OEM corners) error free but my conversion was manually done on the headlight and this will be eliminated with the harness for way under $500.

OEM Conversion link: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za2Qdk44Wfs[/ame]

remember euro does not have high beams and EURO LCI are the hardest to convert as power is distributed different from US Specs.

Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    looking at a euro FRM module, the following parameters are different from the ones you've listed:

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
    wert_01
    wert_03

XENON_AL_VERBAUT
    aktiv

BI_XENON_VERBAUT
    aktiv

XENON_LI
    wert_02

There might be more differences, I don't know. If I had to guess, adding the wert_03 to that first line I mentioned would do the trick
    Last edited by e90SoCal; 03-14-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328XI
    I much rather do the coding option than the harness.

I did the conversion using euro xenons.

The VO option does not vary year to year. You program the VO option and run it in ncs expert and that is pretty much it. This is the best approach and the OEM way of doing it. Look at all the BMW with xenons from previous generations, they all use the same VO code.

There is nothing OEM like when using an external harness. Trust me I have been there. All a harness is doing is fooling the computer. Proper coding does not involve fooling the computer and eliminates the chance of something going wrong compared to using an external harness.

My cars ecu now knows it runs on xenons and adjust the voltage for the oem ballast.

The cost is also much cheaper and if you DIY, you are basically paying for the cost of the cable (under $100). Plus with the coding cable, you can add other unique features to the car.

My setup,

-pre lci Oem Euro conversion
    -Oem ballast
    -Oem bulb

The additional wiring is basically taping the negative from the low beam wire to the highbeam.

The coding of the xenons took only 10 minutes and everything works just like it came out of the factory. The ecu now properly fires up the ballast etc.

Seems like you are a bit confused as your post makes it sound you are purchasing a VO $522 option. I suggest you read around a bit.

On another note, these "external wiring" harnesses don't work in the winter time up here in Canada. I had one that used resistors etc and during winter time (cold starts) I would get errors.

Corner delete is a simple 2 minute coding. Remember coding is the best way to do it and everything is OEM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    edit:
    What do you mean euros have no high beams? This is false information, please stop spreading this around as it is not true.

BTW...$522 does not mean Five hundred twenty two dollars.

Every car comes with a Vehicle Order list (VO) that outlines all the options on the car. The options are listed in this format $XXX.

$522 is the option code needed to activate the xenon feature.
    Last edited by DESI4LIFE10; 03-14-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    328xi
    Although I have not done it yet, I will do this coding soon. I have all the parts needed (OEM xenons, ballasts, modules, bulbs) just need a weekend with warm weather. So, for just the price of the parts, you can add factory xenons, which is way cool. And if you have an early e90 (mine is build date 02/07), the cheap K-line cable works just fine (I think this works for 03/07 and earlier builds), such this one: Ediabas/INPA 4 BMW 100% compatible OBDII Interface (on ebay, about $30 shipped).

Many thanks desi!!
    Last edited by orangedawg; 03-15-2011 at 01:40 PM.

My Cars
    08 E90 BMW 328i
    unfamiliar with the coding and just started reading into and now it all makes sense..your absolutely right and i would rather have this. how do i get started? i have the cable but unsure where to by the software.. i have seen a GT1 set up online for a few hundred dollars.. is that what i need? is this something easy to learn?

MY EURO LCI Non AHL Don't have a high beam its just a black pearl so its not a rumor, its on my car as we speak and will be removing them soon to install OSS angel eyes..and in the meantime i need to learn this coding. it has now intrigue me as a better set up. Is the coding a simple black and white deal to learn and understand? i have no clue where to code the module. if you dont mind helpign how you did it and maybe if you want to leanr how to code the euro lci that has no high beams please contact me euroschematiks@gmail.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    edit:
    What do you mean euros have no high beams? This is false information, please stop spreading this around as it is not true.

BTW...$522 does not mean Five hundred twenty two dollars.

Every car comes with a Vehicle Order list (VO) that outlines all the options on the car. The options are listed in this format $XXX.

$522 is the option code needed to activate the xenon feature.[/QUOTE]

My Cars
    328xi
    Okay, decided to do my halogen to xenon. However, I'm quite stumped at this pont. I am using NCS. I go into NCS, go to VA, add both $522 and $524 (one at a time, I have adpative xenon US headlights) to the FRM module. I use FA WRITE for the job. It says it is writing the new FA's to the FRM module (I added them to CAS just for sure as well). When I read the FRM ecu after that, it does not have any changes from when it was halogen. It's exactly as DESI posted in his "stock" readout. What am I doing wrong? BTW, I hooked up the xenons after adding the FA's and all lights work (high beams, turn signals, etc., just no xenon on any of the switch settings.

DESI, or someone, can you lead me step by step in what I need to do? I'm a true noob at this.

I also made some changes suggested in this post, wrote those to the FRM (see below), and still no xenons. Help!

EDIT: These aren't all the lines in my FRM, but some I have. The list was too long and too difficult to sort out what changed and what did not. I'm not saying any of these lines below changed, but just a smaple of what is in my car after the VO add. Please help!

BI_XENON_BEI_LH
    aktiv
    XENON_WIEDER_Z_AUS_PHASE
    wert_01
    PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
    wert_01
    XENON_AL_VERBAUT
    nicht_aktiv
    BI_XENON_VERBAUT
    aktiv
    XENON_WIEDER_ZUEND
    nicht_aktiv
    BI_XENON_BEI_LH_3R
    nicht_aktiv
    HEADLAMP_TYPE
    xenon
    Last edited by orangedawg; 04-23-2011 at 04:54 PM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 120d E87
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
    Okay, decided to do my halogen to xenon. However, I'm quite stumped at this pont. I am using NCS. I go into NCS, go to VA, add both $522 and $524 (one at a time, I have adpative xenon US headlights) to the FRM module. I use FA WRITE for the job. It says it is writing the new FA's to the FRM module (I added them to CAS just for sure as well). When I read the FRM ecu after that, it does not have any changes from when it was halogen.
    I'm not an expert, but when I coded the LED tail lights on my E87, I did three steps after adding the option to the VO:
    1. FA_WRITE to FRM
    2. FA_WRITE to CAS
    After these two steps, the Vehicle Order has been updated in FRM and CAS. The parameter settings don't change.
    3. SG_CODIEREN on FRM
    This changes the parameter settings according to the VO. After this step you should see changes in the trace file.

My Cars
    328xi
    Hmm, I just tried that. Added the VO's to CAS. I then exited, loaded the FSW profile, went to process ecu for FRM, did SG CODIERN, and it's still the same. Stumped!

When I searched in the new FRM, this is what it said when I searched for "xenon":
    BI_XENON_FL_ABSCHALT_OPT
    wert_02
    BI_XENON_BEI_LH
    aktiv
    XENON_WIEDER_Z_AUS_PHASE
    wert_01
    PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
    wert_01
    XENON_AL_VERBAUT
    nicht_aktiv
    BI_XENON_VERBAUT
    aktiv
    XENON_WIEDER_ZUEND
    nicht_aktiv
    XENON_LI
    wert_02
    XENON_WIEDERHOL_Z_OPT
    nicht_aktiv

Hmm, what gives? I went out and looked at the car after this and it still acts as if I have halogen installed (all lights work as they should, except xenons don't light).

My Cars
    bmw 535i

Smile How to ad E90 to NCS expert

Hi Ineed to code a e90 series but I dont see it on ncs expert tool how I can add this series to ncs, the car was in a car accident and I think they replaced the cas or the dash, becasue it shows a diference in mileage dash 4k miles cas 15k

and there vis no comunication with DCS and EZL, so Im thinking if I code this will work again, I will check all modules and provide more info if somebody can help I will apreciated, the problem also dsc dont show the vin number, and cas I cudnt tel the vin number stored there but VIN number must be writing to one of the modules and I need to know how I can do this and wich tools to use, I have a working copy of inpa and update from v41,

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    @BimmerGT1

Use E89.

My Cars
    2011 BMW E91 320 xd LCI
    Hi,
    anyone howto disable check of AHL/ALC light? I changed only H3 led light...

My Cars
    2011 BMW E91 320 xd LCI
    I can confirm to all that disabling voltage monitoring of high beams solve problem of check warning in BC of cornering light (inner rings used for AHL feature); you can use also BMWHAT