Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Here -Supercharged 535i

My Cars
    '91 e34 535 Twin Screw'd

New Here -Supercharged 535i

Hi Guys I'm new to Bimmerforums but I've had BMW's for a few years, this is my 2nd. I'm a final year Mechanical Engineering student so I do all my own work on the car and am constantly thinking about what I'm going to change next.

Car Details:
    1991 e34 535i
    Manual

Engine:
    m30b35
    Autronic Sequential Fuel Injection
    Lysholm Twin Screw supercharger
    Remote mount oil filter
    M5 Headers and Exhaust

Chassis:
    Lowered springs (not sure what, but I'm planning to change to eibachs soon)
    Koni Adjustable Dampers
    Polyurethane control arm and Thrust arm Bushes
    Cheap 17" wheels, but decent Tyres

Exterior:
    Hella Clear lens' all round

Interior:
    Schwartz Leather
    2x10" JBL subs running off a Rockford Fosgate Amp

The supercharged was added by the PO but I bought it as an unfinished project which I am neatening up.

Last edited by Bwaterman; 02-01-2011 at 03:05 AM.

My Cars
    95 540i, 87 325i vert
    Very nice, welcome aboard!

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    That is a heck of a snout on the charger. What size unit did the PO go with?

My Cars
    2 e34s (gone)
    Looks like the car was well taken care of. Congrats on the buy, and welcome!

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    thats very cool
    -Alex

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Very cool indeed. I believe this is the first supercharged 535i I have seen

BTW, I am Mechanical Engineering student as well
    Last edited by mikemxbike4; 01-31-2011 at 11:33 PM.

My Cars
    E34, E368
    Welcome to the board! Interesting set up you've got there. I graduated with a BSME in May '10, seems like there are a few of us lurking around here.

My Cars
    '95 C36 AMG
    any idea about hp/tq?

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    welcome! sick ride

TRM Turbo, Hybrid Audio Technologies stereo, S50 Cams, list goes on and on and on...

My Cars
    Suck
    Well that's an oddball.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i
    Please excuse my French... but holy hell.
    Can I HAVE IT!!

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemxbike4 View Post
    Very cool indeed. I believe this is the first supercharged 535i I have seen

BTW, I am Mechanical Engineering student as well
    RedFive had a supercharged 535, I have his black car now minus the charger .

OP that setup looks interesting, what brand is the supercharger ?

Why is there no vacuum hose on the Fuel pressure reg, and are you using the stock ECU ? don't see a air metering device. Please enlighten us, for this is a interesting build.

http://www.lysholm.us/
    Last edited by m60b30530i; 02-01-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Suck
    OP, is that water or meth injection?

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    A Beamer & a Bentley
    Well then, that is one way to make an introduction.

Welcome.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    Do want. He have a nice supercharged 535i that drive around atl. First one i have seen that was twin screw.

My Cars
    '91 e34 535 Twin Screw'd
    Thanks all for the kind words.

The supercharger is a 1600cc Lysholm unit, its a few years old and I can't find much information about it. It is running 10psi which means the blower is a little smaller than optimal but manages to hold 10psi to about 5500rpm then boost falls off a little.

The fuel system is Autronic which is a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) based system so nothing is needed in the intake. By removing the vacuum line from the FPR it means it maintains a constant pressure at all times which makes tuning a little easier. Even when it is connected the FPR doesn't adjust the pressure that much so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

No there isn't any water injection at the moment however I plan to add switched water injection later, so it can be used for overtaking and 1/4 mile runs.

PO has a time slip for a 13.5 sec 1/4 mile with an ok tune so hopefully I can improve on that a little, swapping in an LSD alone should bring that down a bit anyways. I estimate the power to be about 350hp at the crank but I'm not sure about the tourque. The fuel map is pretty close to being done now and the timing map is reasonable but conservative. I'm planning to tune it on a dyno in the next few months.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    holy hell! Nice catch.

My Cars
    E34sx5
    Neat car. Do something about those wheels.
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    95 525i
    man thats sick
    i havent seen a proper SC on a BMW... makes me want to make space in my m50 bay :P
    Long time E34 owner
    Now E39 530D touring Sport Auto

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Excellent intro, and an awesome ride.
    That's what the 535i should have been stock.
    Care to make a quicky video? would like to see/hear this car in action.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    various
    The one time that RHD is a benefit. That setup would not work in NA. Nice clean install

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i Sedan
    Hey Hey.... Another Aussie and one from WA which is even better....

Nice 34 you've got there... Are you on http://www.bimmerclubinc.com as yet? If not you better get on there as there are a heap of WA guys...

Mitch

My Cars
    95-540/6 95-740i 02-M5

welcome

your car looks great... Welcome

Looks like your off to a great start.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwaterman View Post
    Thanks all for the kind words.

The supercharger is a 1600cc Lysholm unit, its a few years old and I can't find much information about it. It is running 10psi which means the blower is a little smaller than optimal but manages to hold 10psi to about 5500rpm then boost falls off a little.

The fuel system is Autronic which is a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) based system so nothing is needed in the intake. By removing the vacuum line from the FPR it means it maintains a constant pressure at all times which makes tuning a little easier. Even when it is connected the FPR doesn't adjust the pressure that much so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

No there isn't any water injection at the moment however I plan to add switched water injection later, so it can be used for overtaking and 1/4 mile runs.

PO has a time slip for a 13.5 sec 1/4 mile with an ok tune so hopefully I can improve on that a little, swapping in an LSD alone should bring that down a bit anyways. I estimate the power to be about 350hp at the crank but I'm not sure about the tourque. The fuel map is pretty close to being done now and the timing map is reasonable but conservative. I'm planning to tune it on a dyno in the next few months.
    It actually makes tuning harder. If your fuel pressure is 45 psi base pressure (which is typical of the older cars) then that means you spraying fuel into the intake at 45 psi (roughly) at the injector tip when the car is not in boost - meaning you need to squirt the injectors for shorter amounts of time. If you have decently large injectors you always fear as a tuner that you will have "too much injector" at idle. So one saving grace on a standard FPR car is that although you might have huge injectors, when idling your fuel pressure is lower (due to vacuum on the diaphragm). However, it also means that when your supercharger is making boost you are spraying fuel into the intake manifold at 35 psi, because theres a 10 psi environment that is back-feeding against fuel pressure, which means your fuel has a harder time "getting into" the intake manifold. This is why the stock FPRs are great - at vacuum situations you don't need tons of fuel pressure so the fuel pump doesn't work as hard, and then when you add boost the FPR are 1:1, meaning for every 1 psi of manifold pressure they see, they increase fuel pressure 1 psi. This means that your fuel injectors are injecting at a more constant pressure which makes things easier.

If you have 0 psi you might be injecting at 45 psi. If you have 15 psi you might be injecting at 60 psi, but since its injecting into a pressurized environment, the fuel coming from the injector is at that same relative 45 psi (60-15=45).

Otherwise, interesting build. Do you know if its an Autronic SM2 or SM4 or SMC ECU?
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 02-01-2011 at 08:34 AM.

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    Changing the oil filter must be a pain (if its in the stock spot). Were exactly is the remote filter ?

I wonder if the NA guys converted to Rack and pinion, we could possibly fit a similar setup. I had a chance to grab a SC from a tbird, could of test fitted that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast