Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Towed for the 1st time - P1373, P0171, P0174

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Ok there is too much info in this thread flying around.

First off, its not your VCG or fuel pump. How many time are you going to replace that VCG anyway? Will this be your third time? Some drop of oil on the plugs is not a big deal and something you should change when its nice and warm and have nothing to do. Its not part of the issue at hand.

With those three codes set. it seems like the engine was starved of fuel for that split moment which led to the stall. The lean codes (0171/0174) are the cause of the main code which everyone seems to be going at. That cylinder caught a lean condition, which in turn caused it to misfire heavily, which in turn told the DME to shut off the pump. THAT is the turn of events. The coil is fine as well. Can it go bad? Absolutely. When in doubt, move its position.

I would put money on a bad injector. We have swapped out a couple of M54's in the past month or so and we experienced all those codes. Those stupid lean codes haunt our E39's on a daily basis. For the most part, they just annoy but in your case, they actually told you what the deal was.

In rare cases, your Bank1Sensor1 O2 has called it quits.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Gumbi, thanks for the info. I was reading this:

http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0171-and-P0174

and also read, "Fuel Pressure could also cause a lean condition. If the fuel filter is clogged or the fuel pump pressure is low, there could be higher level of oxygen in the exhaust also. Most of the time though, the ECU will compensate for the reduced fuel volume. So this is one of the least likely causes of a lean code."

I've had CEL's before, but never needed a tow. Will do a smoke test tomorrow to rule out any leaks. Saw where kerryb and you went thu this:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1377410

Replacing the CCV tomorrow regardless of what takes place.

Here's a fuel pump relay for anyone out there reading:

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...elay+locations

I hope it's not an injector because then you're replacing the one and staring at the other five. Could be a vacuum leak, will smoke the car tomorrow...

Thanks.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 01-30-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    02 540i 6MT
    may teh force be with you b5er... watch mickelson choke this afternoon and have a few beers..

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
    may teh force be with you b5er... watch mickelson choke this afternoon and have a few beers..
    Yeah, Kieth. GL!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    It could be this, and it could be that....
    Take it to someone that will know.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    It could be this, and it could be that....
    Take it to someone that will know.
    No comment. *

* = if you searched around you'll find literally thousands of posts where very, very bright BMW brethren chased the identical codes I have and paid $1,900.00 to a dealer here or there and still had the codes. This isn't your fuel pump which was screaming so loud it could be heard in Japan in 1985 and yet required a video with "What is this noise?" as your car stalled and stammered every ten miles. No, this is a ghost on a highly maintained e39. A smoke test might reveal a few things AND if you see the intelligencia above, very sound opinions, you'd clearly see that it taint' so very easy.

And fyi, wasn't it BMW Tech Master just last week who told me my noise in the drive side rear was a Jet Suction Pump? Man that would've been a waste of $125.00 and all those gas fumes during the replacement would've dropped my IQ below 100. I need to maintain triple digits as long as I can...
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 01-30-2011 at 08:32 PM.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Best of luck finding the problem bimmer. Keep us updated!
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    2003 525i

Update...

Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer View Post
    Best of luck finding the problem bimmer. Keep us updated!
    It took me almost five hours to do today:

1). OEM CCV and all hoses. I hate hate hate this job and will never ever do it again. Gumbi's father in law is a wizard at it and over 5-7 cigarettes he can install them better than I could. It took me 3 hours. My CCV was laden with mayo. Several hoses were more clogged than Michael Moore's arteries. Cleaned out the Air Distribution Piece. Cleaned out the ICV. Cleaned out the DISA Valve and gave the DISA some black RTV around it's gasket. My throttle body was crystal clean and I regret not having a new gasket but the original gasket looked fine and all is well.

2). Six new Bosch coils. Very easy job. Before I did this, I borrowed a smoke machine. Other than wreaking of Ash Wednesday, I could not find any vacuum leak in the car.

3). Fuel Pump Relay. This is the light green relay behind the glove compartment. Not so easy to get to and I'll post the part number for it as even BMW might struggle for a bit to find the proper part number.

Car idled sooooo much quieter. I swear the idle dropped 100 rpm and in terms of noise..a healthy CCV makes the car's engine purr like a kitten and idle not just more smoothy, but simply quieter.

At this point after a test drive I had two more things to do. I replaced the Fuel Filter (and regulator) and gave her seven new quarts of Royal Purple.

The fuel filter that was in my car had 15K miles on it, I simply replaced it with a 'shotgun therapy' approach and not a 'rifle therapy' approach. The coils that were in my car had 75K on them and I replaced all of them, not just cylinder #1 as there is only one way to do it.

The car's RPMS are willing to fly up to 5K with a small tap of the gas pedal. My car used to have a very very slight miss, a tiny flutter like a heart murmur. She is now running, at 135K miles as if she has 13.5K miles.

I DO HAVE an OEM Fuel Pump in stock and will replace it in a month or two (or sooner if she breaks down and I need to get towed again).

All seems really well now. I just took her for a 30 minute spin and was laughing at the pep in the little 2.5 liter engine.

Fuel Pump next to-do.
    Engine cover with new VCG to-do.
    Rear brakes in April to-do.
    Can't wait for effin winter to end...this winter has been hardcore and I look foward to more projects in the Spring.

If anyone has an extra Engine Cover (aka Cylinder Cover) PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I feel like a fool buying one, but I gotta bite the bullet as my VCG leaks no matter what I do.

Thanks to every single person who weighed in with ideas for the codes. Thanks to all who offered moral support. Getting flat-bedded sucks. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, ever. We should all be able to press a 'hyperspace' button and at least be able to warp home where we can fix the car.

Thanks.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Glad to hear you're back and running. And Yes, flat bed sucks big time.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I am betting your valve cover gasket leak was due to the clogged CCV.
    There is nothing wrong with your valve cover, but I know how much you love buying parts...
    LOL!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I am betting your valve cover gasket leak was due to the clogged CCV.
    There is nothing wrong with your valve cover, but I know how much you love buying parts...
    LOL!
    Going to keep an eye on it. It is frustrating as the leak this time is 6x within each spark plug well...not the area to have any leak if you're going to have one! Installing new coils into ports that had just a few drops in each spark plug well...it hurt my feelings.

I'd certainly rather spend $200.00 (cylinder/engine cover's cost) on other stuff for sure!

Car drove like a dream to work today. Fuel pump will be done in 4 weeks time, regardless. The CCV system in our cars IS a joke!!!

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Keith, I have a whole M54 engine being parted out. I got parts, you need parts like engine cover. Let me know. I has pics.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    ..all those gas fumes during the replacement would've dropped my IQ below 100.
    So that's what happen to my brain.

I feel much better now. I think.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    Keith, I have a whole M54 engine being parted out. I got parts, you need parts like engine cover. Let me know. I has pics.
    How about you hang onto the engine cover and I pick up a pack of Marlboros and some beer. Your FIL is the perfect man for the VCG. I'd love to come over in March. I just need winter to die-down a bit and also wait for my budget (just dropped a load on this thread alone lol).

Please save the engine cover. A new VCG and an hour or so in your shop and I would truly enjoy knowing that it won't drip a drop of oil for a long time.

My engine cover is "from 9/2002" and is part # 11127512839 see here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...72&hg=11&fg=15

If it matches....please and thank you.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 02-01-2011 at 10:52 AM.

My Cars
    any time, any place
    Good to hear she is running better Keith. Also surprised to hear there were not any vacuum leaks but I know you run a tight ship!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Did you break the hose ends off in order to disconnect the old CCV hoses?

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Did you break the hose ends off in order to disconnect the old CCV hoses?
    Dude the CCV is so last week lol. Dude. Disconnecting can be done by a monkey, assembly is tricky. But this is all so last week dude.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Dude the CCV is so last week lol. Dude. Disconnecting can be done by a monkey, assembly is tricky. But this is all so last week dude.
    I didn't know that this would be a hard question to answer...
    I guess so...

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    so much drama
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    For the record, I did not say you installed the Leak Pump wrong. I'm suggesting there may well be an underlaying problem that caused the first pump to fail, and now that you have a working pump it's blocking off the vent.

Wait, I seem to remember from the old thread the Leak Pump was making noise while the car was running? True?

Could an over-flowing gas station pump cause the Leak Detection Pump to fail?

Last year, when filling-up the car, the gas station pump did not automatically shut off, but instead shot gas all over my car.
    This happened twice within a period of 2 months.

Could the over-flowing gas from the gas station pump cause the Leak Detection Pump (that is connected to the Charcoal Canister) to fail...???

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    For the record, I did not say you installed the Leak Pump wrong. I'm suggesting there may well be an underlaying problem that caused the first pump to fail, and now that you have a working pump it's blocking off the vent.

Wait, I seem to remember from the old thread the Leak Pump was making noise while the car was running? True?

Could an over-flowing gas station pump cause the Leak Detection Pump to fail?

Last year, when filling-up the car, the gas station pump did not automatically shut off, but instead shot gas all over my car.
    This happened twice within a period of 2 months.

Could the over-flowing gas from the gas station pump cause the Leak Detection Pump (that is connected to the Charcoal Canister) to fail...???

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    In a wishy-washy non-committal way,

YES

/.randy

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25

YES

/.randy

My Cars
    E34M, E36M, E38
    Why was this thread revived from the dead?

2000 BMW 740iL | 225,XXX miles | VW MAF | Bavarian Auto Coils | Timing Chain and Guides DIY Complete | M60 Manifold | BDC Polished Throttle Body| Custom Tuned | Performance Gearing 3.46 LSD| Magnaflow mufflers |
    |1997 ///M3/2/5 | 104,XXX miles | Boston Green Metallic|2006 X3 3.0 SAV|121,XXX miles| Silver|

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

YES

Thanks Randy for the reply...!

I guess my other question is that could a bad Leak Detection Pump, or bad Charcoal Canister cause:

1. the Fuel Pump to work harder?
    2. And/ or cause lack in acceleration, as when you are accelerating, then hit the gas (punch-it), and then nothing happens (the doesn't rev to accelerate - bogs)...?

Quote Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
    Why was this thread revived from the dead?
    Because I wanted to...

And, my car is having problems related to the topic.
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 06-26-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast